shape
carat
color
clarity

First Pearls?

naria

Shiny_Rock
I'm contemplating making my first pearl purchase. I have been trying to do a lot of research since it seems like there doesn't seem to be a unified industry standard which is something that pops up in markets where ignorance is money so I'm trying to be careful. I'd like some thoughts on what I've come up with so far.

Since I'm a grad student, I have a limited budget and was thinking of purchasing gem quality fresh waters. I'm only a couple of years out of college and short so I was thinking that the 7.5-8mm freshdamas might be appropriate. However, I am also plus sized and have long believed that accessories should match the stature and not just the status of the individual. Ergo I have become interested in the 8-9 presidential line as well (though these would be a bit of stretch budget wise but not an impossibility). I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the age/plus size ratio issue though I have ruled out 7mm and smaller since I want a strand that will carry me through conferences for the next 5-7 years.

I'm thinking of getting an 18" strand and eventually getting a shortner clasp. I think 18" is a nice length for most things, but feel a 16" looks best with my suits. However, do these clasps damage the pearls? I have read elsewhere in this forum and others that pearls scratch easily? Is this a concern with a clasp that directly touches the pearls?

If the clasps do scratch, would I be better off getting a 16" chocker and a bracelet that could be attached? I've read several posts about attaching necklaces and bracelets but am confused how this works. Do you need a mystery clasp? Or do you just attach the male and female ends of normal clasps? If the latter is the case, should the clasps be the ball clasps?

Overtones. I've seen a lot of discussions of overtone on pricescope and the web more generally, but am still uncertain about how to match this with completion. I am very fair (blue eyes, cornsilk blond hair, burn super easily...I mean vampire easily) with blue undertones. However, my face is also fairly pink. I really like the look of rose overtones when I see them and people mention that they work nicely with fair skin, but I want to make sure that our mutual pinkness won't turn out a bit yuck. Thoughts?

Lastly, I have emailed one retailer for pictures and initially heard back but haven't so far received photos or updates and it has been a few days. How long does this usually take at the larger well known sellers? Would I be better off calling? I'm uncomfortable buying a strand sight completely unseen and really need photos to clinch this decision for me.

Anyways another novice pearl post, but I'd appreciate any feedback. I've found your site very helpful.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to the forum Naria.
I am a blonde with blue eyes also. I love pinked freshwaters and Akoya's on my skin tone.

Be sure to buy the length of pearls you think you would like or longer. Matching more pearls into the strand later if you change your mind will be difficult. A bracelet added onto a necklace is great addition to your collection. I have found the clasps, ball or not, hide behind your collar on many suits. Ball clasps roll like the pearls and the shape makes the strand seem uninterrupted.

Mystery clasps are even a better option, although you will have to find a vendor who sells and can install them for you. The average jewelry store will not have these just sitting in the case.

I have worn snap on enhancer pendants on my pearls for years and the gold clasp and bale has never harmed my pearls, so more than likely the shorteners will not either.

Please post a photo of your pearls once you make a decision.

naria

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the kind reply nacrelover. I was begining to lean towards rose or silver/rose overtones so your thoughts helped me cement my decision. I will try to post pictures once I've made up my mind. You have a wonderful community and there are so many pretty pearls.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Naria, Please shop around and ask for multiple photos of the strands you are looking to purchase. Since there is no universal grading for pearls it can vary greatly from vendor to vendor. I usually call the places I shop and talk directly with them prior to buying pearls. They send photos with in a day or two, sometimes the same day. If you don't get the customer service you are looking for, there are plenty of places who will .

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would recommend going with a larger size pearl. as one ages, the recommendation is to wear larger pearls. given that you [like me] are not small in the first place, i find that small jewelry looks rather odd. i think it would be nice to buy something that you can wear now but would also wear at 50. i agree that a longer length, perhaps 20 inches, would be appropriate now and as you get older. investing in a nice set of pearls is a lovely thing to do for yourself! :appl:

naria

Shiny_Rock
Thanks movie zombie for your thoughts. I think maybe I'll get larger pearls now and update the clasp later.

Does anyone have experience with both the PP's freshdama line and Pearly of Joy's presidential line? I'm am lead to believe that they are equivalent quality, but are there any major differences in these lines? PoJ 8-9mm are substantially more affordable, but I really want to buy the best that I can afford so if freshdama's have something special going on with them I'd rather get smaller fds. Specifically, I'm looking for the most lustrous freshies I can find. Relatedly, does anyone know why the hundred dollar + price discrepancy in these lines for the 8-9mm if pearls are essentially commodity priced (competition drives down profit and equalizes price) online?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Your question is hard to tell. PP freshadama line are extremely round and perfect pearls. The top 1% of the harvest. POJ Gem quality (name was changed) do not say that. Unless you order both strands in and compare them side by side you won't know for sure.

naria

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the reply. I think I had been taking it for granted that they were the same since another forum guided me in thinking that they were equivalent. However, I compared their quality specifications and there seems to be substantial differences. It seems like PP AAA are the equivalent of the PoJ gem line just based on the blemishing percentage standards allowed. I very much wish the industry would have a standards meeting and establish one guiding principle in the grading of pearls (but of course understand that there many incentives for them not to do so). I will say though that the lack of a unified standard is a bit of a turn off for a new pearl buyer.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i understand your frustration as i've only dipped into pearls in the last year or a bit more. i also am unwilling to pay the big $ for the absolute gorgeous pearls that are out there. as in all things buy what pleases YOU and not anyone else. we all want to get the most for our $ but given the limitations i place on myself, well, i have to accept i'm not going to have the absolute BEST.

minigirl

Rough_Rock
the same situation i meet. lack of money is so terrible.

naria

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I purchased a custom designed freshdama set. I'm having trouble posting pics and with my point and shoot they didn't turn out that well anyways. The set I bought is 7.5-8 with a diamond clasp. The necklace looks like this: http://www.pearlparadise.com/Detail.aspx?ID=2376 and has a 9.5mm pearl at the end. Thanks for all the help.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
naria|1339557327|3215128 said:
Hi all,

I purchased a custom designed freshdama set. I'm having trouble posting pics and with my point and shoot they didn't turn out that well anyways. The set I bought is 7.5-8 with a diamond clasp. The necklace looks like this: http://www.pearlparadise.com/Detail.aspx?ID=2376 and has a 9.5mm pearl at the end. Thanks for all the help.

This sounds very pretty. Please do post pics! Neck shots are always appreciated :love:

I find that my best pics of pearls are in good indirect light with no flash.

belleaircoins

Rough_Rock
Pearls are composed of between 82-86% mineral or calcium carbonate, 10-14% organic binder ans 2-4% water. They are very soft and can be chipped quite easily..........

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results