shape
carat
color
clarity

First pearl purchase... I need your help!

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Hello :wavey:

I'm looking to make my first pearl purchase(s). I think I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices in a pair of earrings and necklace. I won't necessarily wear the earrings and necklace together, so they don't have to match.

Which pair do you like?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FABULOUS-AUSTRALIAN-SOUTH-SEA-PEARL-SOLID-14K-GOLD-LEVER-BACK-EARRINGS-E1308-/271527204343?pt=US_Fine_Earrings&hash=item3f384855f7

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-WHITE-AUSTRALIAN-SOUTH-SEA-PEARL-14K-GOLD-LEVER-BACK-EARRINGS-E1307-/201110248036?pt=US_Fine_Earrings&hash=item2ed31ada64

And which of these two lovelies?
http://www.catherinecardellinipearls.com/?subject=moreInfo&id=2487

or

http://www.catherinecardellinipearls.com/?subject=moreInfo&id=2588

Thanks in advance.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hi there, Elysian. Those are some big pearl earrings you have selected. :naughty: It really is personal preference, but I like the pair with the rose undertones. Note that there are some small flaws on the Pearl Society earrings, but it looks like they are to the rear as the earrings will be worn.

As for the CC strands, that really is personal preference. If you like pink toned pearls, go for those, or would you rather have whiter ones? Personally, I'd go for that big colored statement strand. :appl:

Have fun choosing, and please come back with photos once your new pearly pieces arrive. :wavey:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent choices, Elysian! Love your jumbo selections :love:

I prefer WG over YG so first pair of earrings would be my choice. I'd be little concerned with the large pearls tilting forward in those findings. But your earlobes might be better suited to those leverbacks.

And I love that white strand of freshies. YUM :lickout:. I would ask CC to switch out to silver clasp just because I like white metal.

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1403312522|3697642 said:
Hi there, Elysian. Those are some big pearl earrings you have selected. :naughty: It really is personal preference, but I like the pair with the rose undertones. Note that there are some small flaws on the Pearl Society earrings, but it looks like they are to the rear as the earrings will be worn.

As for the CC strands, that really is personal preference. If you like pink toned pearls, go for those, or would you rather have whiter ones? Personally, I'd go for that big colored statement strand. :appl:

Have fun choosing, and please come back with photos once your new pearly pieces arrive. :wavey:

Thanks for your input, Fly Girl. Oh yes, one day I woke up feeling the need for some statement pearls. I love the rose undertone too but dislike yellow gold on the earrings. I could def live with those small dents.
In re to necklace, I am not sure my skin tone (on the cooler side) would look that great with the peachy pale gold strand... but this strand would enable me to wear warmer colors. Is this strand mainly for warmer months or could I wear this in cooler weather too? I just have zero experience with pearls.

baby monster said:
Excellent choices, Elysian! Love your jumbo selections :love:

I prefer WG over YG so first pair of earrings would be my choice. I'd be little concerned with the large pearls tilting forward in those findings. But your earlobes might be better suited to those leverbacks.

And I love that white strand of freshies. YUM :lickout:. I would ask CC to switch out to silver clasp just because I like white metal.

Thanks, Baby Monster. I too prefer white metal over yellow. On the earrings, I love that rosy undertone/ overtone of the gold pair... I wonder if the seller would switch it out for me... I shall ask.
That is an excellent point you bring up that I haven't ever thought of: Will they tilt forward? My lobes are fairly thick and the piercing low on the lobe. I'm guessing that is recipe for some tilt, esp the low piercing? Am I better off with studs? How about backs to these large ladies? Should I be going for plastic reinforced kinds? Maybe shepherd hooks? I like the dangles though, it seems more casual to me at this size.

What do you ladies think about this one? I wonder if it would have the same presence...
http://www.catherinecardellinipearls.com/?subject=moreInfo&id=1947

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
What a wonderful dilemma You have! I purchased my first pearls last autumn and there is no ending in sight. My own opinion is that You can't compare big and small size pearls ( necklace or twisted rope) and the presence they'll give; it's different. You can twist smaller rope, but the look is totally different than bigger, single pearl necklace. Both wonderful though. I have cool toned skin; peachy colour and purplish pearls seem to sink to my skin, lavenders and whites pops out. I have a little bit similar long rope from Catherine. When I was purchasing it that white/lavender keshi rope was one option too. It was beautiful, but I eneded up another beauty (a little bit bigger pearl rope). Lustre is amazing in these smaller pearls.

First shot is keshi rope on Catherine's neck, last ones are my rope on my neck. Here You'll see how it looks knotted and twisted three times.

This is mine

http://www.catherinecardellinipearls.com/?subject=moreInfo&id=1426

_19377.jpg

_19378.jpg

_19379.jpg

_19380.jpg

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Confection10|1403338139|3697843 said:
What a wonderful dilemma You have! I purchased my first pearls last autumn and there is no ending in sight. My own opinion is that You can't compare big and small size pearls ( necklace or twisted rope) and the presence they'll give; it's different. You can twist smaller rope, but the look is totally different than bigger, single pearl necklace. Both wonderful though. I have cool toned skin; peachy colour and purplish pearls seem to sink to my skin, lavenders and whites pops out. I have a little bit similar long rope from Catherine. When I was purchasing it that white/lavender keshi rope was one option too. It was beautiful, but I eneded up another beauty (a little bit bigger pearl rope). Lustre is amazing in these smaller pearls.

First shot is keshi rope on Catherine's neck, last ones are my rope on my neck. Here You'll see how it looks knotted and twisted three times.

This is mine

http://www.catherinecardellinipearls.com/?subject=moreInfo&id=1426

Gosh, thank you Confection, your necklace looks FABULOUS on you! I love the length and the variety of ways you can wear it. You're right, big and small and everything in between styled/beaded differently will give a very different look each. I have a long rope gifted to me one anniversary ago though I have never worn it because I think the smaller pearls look too small on me, even when doubled/tripled. I do like layered looks, cooler tones, and overall big presence though I usually don't wear YG these would be exceptions...

Here are my firsts: They are around 18 inches so not too long. I'm looking forward to playing with layering.

http://www.catherinecardellinipearls.com/?subject=moreInfo&id=2364
http://www.catherinecardellinipearls.com/?subject=moreInfo&id=1629
http://www.catherinecardellinipearls.com/?subject=moreInfo&id=994

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elysian, I can't carry off pearl studs over 10mm. They are uncomfortable to wear so I prefer dangles for pearls 11mm and over. Dangles also have some movement so pearls hang nicely. Pearl Society had some nice options for dangles but here's a shot of my fw baroque dangles. They are 11-12mm.

pp_fw_1.jpg

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
baby monster said:
Elysian, I can't carry off pearl studs over 10mm. They are uncomfortable to wear so I prefer dangles for pearls 11mm and over. Dangles also have some movement so pearls hang nicely. Pearl Society had some nice options for dangles but here's a shot of my fw baroque dangles. They are 11-12mm.

Gorgeous earrings, I love the size on you. 11-12mm sounds like the right size for me too. I found a couple of loose pearls from Etsy seller IndoSeaPearls and going to have simple hooks put in them.

As for necklace, I am so indecisive! Ultimately I want something big and bold so I went for the pink jumbo strand. I asked Catherine to replace the thread from pale gold to lilac and silver clasp.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm very excited about my pearl purchases! :D

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a little late to the game but I can't wait to see your first pearl purchase!

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Pkinnew - thank you! I am super excited about receiving my pink pearls from Catherine. I'm already looking to purchase my second necklace... See below...

Confection - Your long necklace inspired me to wear my long strand tripled. I am warming up to it.

Have you purchased Hinson Gayle pearls? My long necklace is actually from HG. Here are two I am considering, what do you think?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006009N84/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A22VFR9X3GNM0Y
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00419244Q

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Elysian|1403463629|3698699 said:
As for necklace, I am so indecisive! Ultimately I want something big and bold so I went for the pink jumbo strand. I asked Catherine to replace the thread from pale gold to lilac and silver clasp.

Great choice! When I clicked on the link and saw it was sold, I hoped it was you who bought it. You must post neck shots once you receive it.

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Kay said:
Elysian said:

Great choice! When I clicked on the link and saw it was sold, I hoped it was you who bought it. You must post neck shots once you receive it.

Thanks, Kay. I'm really looking forward to it! I will post many many pics, if I could muster up courage, some neck shots too.

I have a few other lovelies coming...

a pair of beautiful 11mm White South Seas from IndoSeaPearls in 18k:

and a 14mm pendant also from ISP.

Another of Catherine's creations. The necklace looks gorgeous on her!

http://www.catherinecardellinipearls.com/?subject=moreInfo&id=2511

Last one, from Pearl Society on ebay:

_19564.jpg

spck.png

catherine_0.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
You've been a busy shopper! That's a nice collection of classic white pearls and really fun strands.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You have bought so much I've lost track...lol If you have not bought the white metallic pearls you might want to check with Jeremy as the Hong Kong pearls must be coming soon. Some of my purchases have already arrived and , hopefully, I will get the rest in the next 10 days.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Elysium, great buys! Can't wait to see your pictures. And your neck will look amazing with that strand from CC.

mapo

Shiny_Rock
Wow! You've been busy! I love the ripples and the ssp dangles! Please post many many pics when they arrive!

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
I know! I've been really naughty this past week but it's been a very stressful month! Also in the works is a set from PP (thanks, katbran). Now I need PAA... Pearl Addict Anonymous... seriously, I could really get into pearls. I wasn't aware of what I was missing. Thanks for the support, ladies.

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
The earrings and pendant from Pearl Paradise are here! I used the chat function on Friday 3:30pm, consulted with Mia, she was amazing to work with! She matched the pearls, took pics, had my package ready for Fedex pickup by 5-5:30pm I received them the next day.

First thoughts... So shiny! And the drop shape is so feminine! I'm a complete no0B. The earrings are 10-11mm and the pendant is 11-12mm on white gold.
PP's pic: (i chose the set on the right)

And my pics:

The overtone is more green than I had anticipated, but the glow that seems to come from within is pretty. I will probably give these to a friend who loves pearls and her favorite color, green. =)

metallicwhitedropspp.jpg

photo_746.jpg

photo_747.jpg

photo_748.jpg

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
These are the Kasumi-like strand from ebay vendor Pearl Society:

_19654.jpg

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to post and run, crazy week here. Thought I would go straight to neck pics and come back for close ups, here they are...

Both strands made my eyes bulge, lol. They are so beautiful in person! They are the same length, approx 18 inches. They are remarkably similar in tone, the CC strand being a tad lighter in color and ever so slightly warmer too. Both are incredibly luxurious-feeling on the neck. I am hooked!

_19682.jpg

_19683.jpg

_19684.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Great first pearls! What is the mm size?

I especially like the Pearl Society strand. I like the color variation and the size on you.

The two strands are surprisingly similar, are you okay with that?

(A few minutes later.) Now I like the CC one better.

In other words, both are great!

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, bsomlo!

Catherine's pearls range from 10.7mm x 11.9mm to 14.3mm x 16.7mm.
Pearl Society pearls are 12-15mm.
Both measurements from respective vendor websites.

I was waffling today about which is my favorite and I thought they are both so gorgeous, I couldn't choose. I do feel a bit excessive having both...
I feel that the Pearl Society is warmer (I was wrong earlier) and you're right this strand has more color variation, and has a bit more iridescence than the CC strand, more evident in person.
I like the roundness of the PS pearls and the necklace has more heft - feels nice on the neck (Not sure how I'm going to handle a 50in rope..another story), lays nicely on the neck too - rounded instead of a rounded "v" which is how CC strand tends to lay on me, which is also ok.

I was surprised at the colors in person. From photos the PS strand looked so vibrant almost neon-jacked pastels, purples, pinks, greens...in person it's much more muted - more wearable actually, unexpectedly more rose gold/copper, mauve, pale pink, silver pink, green.. CC's strand is lighter pinks, silver, pale gold, more of a spring summer necklace, I feel. Both are stunning for their own characters, I didn't think they would be so similar!

Overall, the CC strand seems more free-spirit as where the PS strand seems more serious/ dressed up, and joined forces they are...36 inches of bipolarity or a whole set + bracelet and earrings, maybe. Not sure yet if I will keep both.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I love the earrings and pendant..lovely! Of the two ripples I much prefer the darker and more uniform PS one - I'm not a fan of the little 'horny' pearls lol But that's just a personal choice...I like more colour in my ripples. I find it hard to photograph the ripples as they often do appear quite a bit darker and it's very hard to catch the iridescence. But the PS one gets my vote. I'd track down a white ripple strand for something different rather than two almost the same.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
A delicious "problem". Keep us posted on your thoughts.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love pearl society strand. Bigger pearls and more intense colors. Gorgeous :love:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ditto on the Pearl Society strand. That one is a keeper. And, I even own a set of white ripple horned pearls, but the PS strand looks more like my Kasumi pearls that I absolutely adore.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely delicious ans stunning new pearls. The most I love ripples , with and without horns. They are so different; there will be room enough for both in true pearl lover's collection...

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I love all those pearls!!! And I super love Pearl Society on ebay, I have been so happy with my purchase from them!

Also that pendant!! LOVE!!!!!!!! Fantastic job! So gorgeous

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results