shape
carat
color
clarity

Edison strand came today

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Susan7639|1457933351|4004887 said:
I think part of the problem is the day I bought it I was in a store with a South Seas strand of about the same size. When I put them next to each other there really was no comparison. it may not be that way with all Edisons but to me, these were like night and day and I do not have a discerning eye.

I wouldn't expect wSS and any freshwater pearls to compare favorably. I feel that salt water pearls are very different from freshwaters; it's the nacre, and the way light passes through it. However, most of us can't afford a quality strand of wSS, so we try to get as close as we can.

If you aren't thrilled with the Edisons, perhaps it's time to start looking for a strand of wSS? Or maybe a wSS tin cup? That would solve the problem of 'all that white' around your face. :angel:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Baroque/circled SSP are quite affordable compared to rounds, and they won't bring out any yellow tones in your hair if you take care to buy a strand that doesn't have yellowish pearls. (I have allowed my hair to go gray as well.)

I dug out this photo of 3 of my white strands for comparison of white tones-- the top are baroque akoyas from PP, middle are baroque SSP from Pure Pearls, and bottom are metallic white from PP.

white_pearls-_baroque_akoya__ssp__metallic_white.jpg

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
That's a nice comparison photo. Thank you.

Susan7639

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous! Look at all the different whites!

Susan7639

Rough_Rock
ennui|1457971703|4005107 said:
I think part of the problem is the day I bought it I was in a store with a South Seas strand of about the same size. When I put them next to each other there really was no comparison. it may not be that way with all Edisons but to me, these were like night and day and I do not have a discerning eye.

I wouldn't expect wSS and any freshwater pearls to compare favorably. I feel that salt water pearls are very different from freshwaters; it's the nacre, and the way light passes through it. However, most of us can't afford a quality strand of wSS, so we try to get as close as we can.

If you aren't thrilled with the Edisons, perhaps it's time to start looking for a strand of wSS? Or maybe a wSS tin cup? That would solve the problem of 'all that white' around your face. :angel:

I think it means maybe I need to find a better Edison!

Susan7639

Rough_Rock
BWeaves|1457955121|4004972 said:
Hi Susan:

Now I'm even more curious. Tell me about the SS strand you saw?

How did it compare in price?
How did it compare in looks?
Is there anyway to contact you privately through the board?

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Ennui, you are correct on affording WSS, we do try to get as close as we can. The freshwater pearls are so different, when I scratch the surface of a Freshwater pearl with my nail it is rough vs. a Tahitian pearls that feels so glossy, sick and thick. I'm sure if I were to do a comparison, Freshwater and WSS the WSS :angel: would win me over quickly.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BWeaves|1457974565|4005132 said:
That's a nice comparison photo. Thank you.
Ditto! Thank you!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
pearlsngems|1457970627|4005094 said:

My SSP are whiter than even my whitest freshwaters. It's a cooler shade of white.

Ah, understand now. White fwp I've seen tend to have a yellowish tone no matter how white they are, with the exception of metallics.
Also ssps have this glow that I haven't seen in fwp before. Could be due to the nacre or just that I haven't seen better quality fwp before.

A perfectly round 15 mm ssp strand cost at least USD10k based on what I've seen locally. An Edison strand is 5 to 6x cheaper and is a good alternative for ladies who can take creamy tones I think. Personally I can't, so that really limits my fwp collection tho they are so much more affordable than Tahitians or ssps. That said, I'm still excited about the deeper and more exotic colors for fwp that I hope will become more common. The deep purple bead nuked strand that I bought last year is an example.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Hi Susan:

I'm not aware of anyway to private message on Pricescope. I know there is a way on Pearl-Guide, although I'm bad about noticing when someone has private messaged me.

I would like everyone to know that I passed on the new POJ Edison Strand, so whoever is next on the waiting list, you've got it.
I haven't even seen it in person yet. This has nothing to do with the information in this thread. I'm passing for the same reason I passed on Baby Nurses' strand. My Pearl Fund isn't up to the purchase.

I just bought a Tahitian necklace and earrings from Kojima. The Hamantaschen pearl is still at my jeweler's being made into a pendant. And I just had to buy 2 pairs of new eye glasses, and it's the eye glasses that killed it. Yes, I'm blaming the eye glasses, and not the other pearls. I tend to get Transitions, Progressives, non-scratch, non-glare, thinnest lenses, lightest lenses, etc. etc., and then a separate pair for computer work, and even with good eye insurance, they are still super expensive.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BWeaves,
On the other forum click on your Settings, and then General Settings, then look at the section called Private Messaging.
There are boxes you can check to get email notification of new private messages and a pop-up window notifying you of new messages. I'm sure I'd miss half my messages were it not for these tools.

I hear you about the cost of new progressive lenses, ouch. Mine were a chunk of change too, and I also have separate glasses for the computer.

As to Edisons, I think they will only become more commonly available (and more affordable) as time goes on. If not now, then surely later, you will have your Edisons.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pearlsngems:

Thank you for the forum information. I set up my private messaging on Pearl Guide. Am I allowed to say its name, or do I have to refer to it as the forum which must not be named?

Susan:

Can you private message me on Pearl-Guide forum?

Hi Icy Jade:

"White fwp I've seen tend to have a yellowish tone no matter how white they are, with the exception of metallics. "

I have a strand of Freshadamas from PP that are very white with no hint of yellow or peach, or pink for that matter. They actually have a bit of that satiny SS look to them, only they are obviously too small to be SS. I think they may be the exception, though.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL I'm afraid other forums are like Voldemort here.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You have lots of good advice from lots of pearly people. Heres all I would say.

1. The size of the pearls looks fabulous on you.... you look gorgeous!

2. The issue you have with the colour and lustre...I'm sure that can be addressed ... there is bound to be another strand that will suit you..just get some photos in natural light and have them checked over.

Wear them for a few days and the size issue will disappear. I thought my IPhone 6S was ENORMOUS when I bought it..two weeks later it just looked normal to me. I love the size of those pearls on you! And I love the white on you !

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
pearlsngems|1458075281|4005787 said:
LOL I'm afraid other forums are like Voldemort here.

The forum that shan't be named! :lol:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
katbran|1458104192|4005979 said:
You have lots of good advice from lots of pearly people. Heres all I would say.

1. The size of the pearls looks fabulous on you.... you look gorgeous!

2. The issue you have with the colour and lustre...I'm sure that can be addressed ... there is bound to be another strand that will suit you..just get some photos in natural light and have them checked over.

Wear them for a few days and the size issue will disappear. I thought my IPhone 6S was ENORMOUS when I bought it..two weeks later it just looked normal to me. I love the size of those pearls on you! And I love the white on you !

YESSSSS to the bold. Natural light pics of pearls I believe are so flipping important! You really get an idea of what to expect when you see them day to day. Don't get me wrong ,glamour shots are wonderful, and in some lights and settings your pearls will look like that, but normally natural light is the best judge as to what to really expect with any strand.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. I think it depends on who is doing the natural light shots too. Personally, I'd rather get an iphone picture taken under florescent light on a white background than a professional shot taken in perfect diffuse natural light conditions. I'd rather see all of the blemishes and blandness that "real" light conditions can produce than the overtones and soft focus effect that are brought out in a diffuse light shot. I can get my pearls to look like glamour shots if I put them next to a certain window with a semi transparent blind, or if I take them in the shade. It smooths over the blemishes and brings out highlights in the pearls that are not seen otherwise (and it took me a while to figure that out).

But sometimes even natural light pictures can mask blemishes that are visible to the eye. Plus, pictures always seem to make pearls look more lustrous than they actually look to the naked eye. I also find that the camera will pull out way more colour than I can see just looking at my pearls. So, even with natural light shots, it can still be a bit hit or miss as to whether what you see IRL is a match to the picture.

Sounds like Susan's Edisons might be that way. They look great in her picture, but it sounds like there are some things that aren't apparent in the picture that she sees IRL.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
So, did anyone here get the POJ Edisons? It's just that I'd love to find out what they were like, since I still haven't seen Edisons in person. I keep passing on them before I ever get them, because I've bought something else instead.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results