shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds or Pearls

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I had a lovely chat with my mother today over my 30th (I will be 30 in August) She was trying to get ideas for a gift and I was hinting at a nice piece of jewelry :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: . We got to talking about what I liked better diamonds or pearls and I really couldn't answer. I mean don't get me wrong, I LOVE a good OEC! but the past few years I have been buying more and more pearl jewelry with the money I have been saving for the diamond and gemstone projects. I have no regrets. I love my pearls. But I just assume that my tastes in jewelry have been changing. And I have no regrets. I actually feel safer going out in my pearls even though they have higher value then my diamond and gemstone jewelry. I don't do it for people to think I am opulent, I do it because over the years I have fallen passionately in love with pearls, its been driving my family bonkers. My moms ready to shove a cork in my mouth.

What about you guys? Prefer pearls over other gemstones?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only have earrings with plain white metal, diamonds and/or pearls, and have not planned to get any CS earrings in the future, except perhaps for some red/pink studs to go with my two pairs of diamond earring jackets.

I cannot wear pearl studs that are bigger than 10mm, or they would make my already wide face even wider, not a good look!

Therefore, I prefer diamond over pearl for earrings.

DK :))

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I prefer pearls over diamonds and other stones to the point that anything non-pearl in my jewelry collection is pretty much neglected at this point. I'm not sure why exactly, but pearls are so organic and alive and unique and full of personality. I also kind of like the fact that people usually have no idea I'm wearing pearls and have no idea of their value. I think they think I'm wearing plastic or metal or maybe ceramic (when it comes to my large fireballs)... It's like a secret that couldn't be more public, but is not understood. So I wear my pearls for me and I love my pearls intensely. Don't get me wrong, I love diamonds, but a few are enough for me, whereas my appetite for pearls is insatiable.

Let us know what you choose! Happy upcoming birthday.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I most definitely prefer pearls over other colored gemstones. Vs diamonds? Hmm, price per carat is certainly more affordable for pearls but there is also little resale value. I agree that most people don't understand value of pearls so you can wear much more expensive pieces safely.

Most people also don't understand the attraction. Just couple of weeks ago, I was at a family and friend gathering where both my mother and I were wearing pearls. One of the women there commented to me that she didn't get why we like pearls so much. How can I explain? One either gets and likes pearls or doesn't.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I am a jewelry-aholic. Over 15 years ago I met a jewelry designer that combined pearls and gemstones so I have many of her pieces. So typically I will have some form of pearl necklace on but with it will be colored stones or diamonds.

love_paradise

Rough_Rock
Trade
For me, diamonds and pearls are wonderful. I like both of them. just because diamond is high price. I have enough pearl pieces to wear so I have any diamond thing up to now. They are different style in beauty, aren't they?

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
I love them both! And if you have both you'll always have something appropriate to wear for an accessory. :praise:

I especially love them when combined.... :naughty:

dianatiara.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
You didn't really think the Pearl Forum ladies would tell you to buy diamonds, did you? I hope you have a happy Birthday. :appl: :appl: :appl:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1401121470|3680360 said:
You didn't really think the Pearl Forum ladies would tell you to buy diamonds, did you? I hope you have a happy Birthday. :appl: :appl: :appl:

I didn't think so! :naughty: :Up_to_something: :rodent:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
So, if you're going to ask for pearls, what do you have in mind? We like to help throw out ideas. :twirl: :wavey: :naughty: :appl:

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
ckrickett - I love them for different reasons. I have a few nice diamond and gemstone pieces that I treasure and wear them often with pearls. I don't buy that much diamond jewelry anymore because the pieces I have "meet" that need. With pearls, though, I'm seeing much more variety in color, shape, size, luster, design, etc. that I'm tempted much more easily by pearls. So many ways to wear them! Can't wait to hear what your birthday present will be!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1401174899|3680757 said:
So, if you're going to ask for pearls, what do you have in mind? We like to help throw out ideas. :twirl: :wavey: :naughty: :appl:

Well I figured I'd ask for a nice set of Tahitians. But My dad had to get a surgery this year and my sisters birthday, is 2 days after mine, and my parents anniversary is a week after my birthday and my wedding is 2 months after that. So I figured I wouldn't get to greedy and ask for the Kamoka strand I have been eyeing.

Here are some other things I have been eyeing, Maybe you ladies can help me out. I am a painter, and I get paint everywhere so as much as I'd love a ring or bracelet, I know I'd ruin it (I can't tell you how often I have to soak paint off my erring because I forget to take it off :(sad )

Baroque Tahitian and SS strand 16-18"
SS drop earrings
metallic fireball pendant
Tincup necklace (I like SS, Tahitian or Fireball)
or something completely "different"

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Well, that is quite a variety. The least expensive, while being exciting, would be the metallic fireball pendant, I think. Everything you list is desirable -- what are you leaning towards most at this point in your life?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I think I'd like a really interesting Tin cup Necklace or Pendant. I think I am leaning that way :twirl:

leyhuong

Shiny_Rock
Hi ckrickett,
That is an excellent choice. Have a happy birthday soon.

For me, personally, if I must choose between diamonds and pearls or the world would end, I will definitely go for pearls :D . Diamonds make my heart sing, but pearls make me feel very special, exuding taste, confidence and style!

Here is the photo of tin cup look that I adore. Source: internet.87830179.jpg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
That Tin cup is GLORIOUS! :love: :love: :love: :love:

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Hillary's necklace is amazing. Ok, I wanna play too. I've been saving tin cup and scattered pearl necklace pictures for an upcoming anniversary project.

There's no reason not to have pearls and diamonds. This Akoya and diamond necklace from American Pearl is $925, or $350 with white sapphires. I think this style could also look great with Tahitian or SS pearls.

The same necklace with aquamarines for $550.

Tiffany DBTY with 5 WSS, 4 aquas and 4 diamonds for $15K. (Something similar could be made for far less.)

Tiffany necklace with 3 Tahitian Keshi pearls and 6 diamonds for $5,600.

akoya__amp__diamond_tin_cup__amer_pearl_.jpg

akoya__amp__aqua_tin_cup__amer_pearl_.jpg

wss_aqua__amp__diamond_tiff_dbty.jpg

tahitian_and_diamond_tiffany.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Here's a couple more.

Baroque Tahitians on 43" silver chain with big links from Winterson for $700. I think this is a fun look.

My dream necklace: the Cartier Himalia that is way beyond my budget. I'm considering whether it can be re-created with baroque or FW pearls and using textured gold or silver rings in place of the little diamond circles.

tahitians_on_silver_chain_8-10mm_baroque_winterson.jpg

cartier_himalia.png

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I really love all of those!

I saw a beautiful Baroque Golden SS tinmcup on PP that I love!

also that Cartier Himalia about stopped my heart! :love: :love: :love: :love: :o :o :o :o :-o :-o :-o :-o :shock: :shock: :shock:

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Kay - Thanks for sharing those gorgeous tin cups! I love mine and even have a few that are 36" that I wear doubled for extra fun!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I love pearls over stones .. they are just so interesting to look at...they change colour depending on the time of day or the lighting in a room...they have personality. Don't get me wrong..I'm not going to turn down a diamond and I love coloured stones...but there is something magical about a good pearl...of any variety.

ltlmsmfft

Shiny_Rock
So, if I was told I could only have one type if jewelry for the rest of my life, as much as I love diamonds, I would have to pick pearls. I love the many colors, shapes and sizes they come in and the fact that they are a renewable gem. I love the many design options they offer and the fact that they can easily range from casual to formal depending on the design.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results