carat
color
clarity

Diamond huggies for pearl drops

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1442780390|3929922 said:
Jambalaya|1442777765|3929908 said:
cmd - you said you would have ordered the VS if you'd seen the drop-down list, but perhaps you could exchange them?

I could, because they do have a generous return policy. I'd have to pay international shipping, but I'll give it some thought.

CMD your hoops tahitian drops are perfect like mirrors, and the price it great, I doubt you would see a difference in the SI 1 vs. VS.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
dk168|1442761928|3929827 said:
icy_jade,

Your lobes are not big compared with mine, this is how it looks with a 10mm Tahitian stud:

pp_tahitian_studs.jpg

DK :))

Dk, you are so sweet. I think those big ssp studs n Edisons will look fabulous on you. ::)
My limit seems to be about 11mm.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Icy,

I don't think your lobes are large...I think mine are quite small (as evidenced by a "huggie" earring looking more like a hoop on me, when they are designed to be worn close to the earlobe). Also, I think this is compounded by my piercing being quite low on my earlobe. So of us, you are the perfectly normal one! ;-)

I have to admit I never gave any thought to my ears until I started taking ear shots here. Now I am quite self conscious!

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with CMD -- Icy, your earlobes are not large. Proof is that it is hard to get huggies with smaller than 14mm diameter, and that must reflect that is a good size for most women. You're probably also tall, I am just 5 4".

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cmd, this is probably an odd request... could you measure the distance between your piercing and bottom of your lobe? Mine is 8mm which tells me that these huggies will probably be a bit big. I don't think I can find them smaller though, unless they make them for kids, or I go custom which I'd rather not do.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby nurse|1442870475|3930331 said:
Cmd, this is probably an odd request... could you measure the distance between your piercing and bottom of your lobe? Mine is 8mm which tells me that these huggies will probably be a bit big. I don't think I can find them smaller though, unless they make them for kids, or I go custom which I'd rather not do.

I'm at 5.2 mm, so you might like the huggie length after all. Like I said, I have freakishly small earlobes! I'm starting to wonder if child sized earrings might work for me.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting Baby Nurse, I measured the piercing to the bottom of the lobe, mine with cheep calipers measure 4.5 to 5mm. I always felt that my piercing was too low. I am 5'4". The huggie CMD purchased will look like a hoop on me, but I am ok with it.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Mine is 10mm (using a ruler) and I'm 5'7".

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I think my piercing to bottom of the lobe is 8mm or possible 7.5mm. While my huggies are 12mm diameter, the inner diameter is 10mm and the distance from the little bar to the bottom of the inner hoop is only 9mm.

I know it looks as if there's more of a gap than 1-1.5mm between my lobe and hoop, but I think it's just the magnification. In real life the huggies are pretty close. The loop on the huggies is only 3.5mm on the citrine and 2.5mm on the amethyst, but they look bigger in the close-up photos.

I think my height is somewhere between five three and five four.

Hope this helps! :wavey:

huggie.jpg

pink_amethyst.jpg

_34560.jpg

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! :wavey:

I'm a longtime PS-er, but basically brand-new to the world of pearls. :)

I absolutely love the diamond huggies with pearl drops that you all have posted. Absolutely gorgeous! :love:

I'm wondering the best way to go about putting together drops with, say, golden drop pearls using the American Diamond huggies.

I've seen some great options on both American Pearl and Pearl Paradise, some with bezel-diamonds as part of the setting, some without. Then there's loose pearls and separate findings. I think I'm confusing myself! :wacko:

Is there a path you'd recommend I take? Unembellished drops with diamond findings? Drops with bezeled diamonds that I convert for use with the huggies? Loose pearls? I live in a relatively small town, so I'm not sure how great my jeweler options are here. I'd be grateful for any and all words of wisdom!

Thank you SO very much!! :))

kathy

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kathy,

I think getting drops on large eye pins to fit the hoops is relatively simple. American Pearl will let you buy the drops separate from the hoops (the link to that is on White South Sea version of their Kate earring; then you can customize to pearl type and metal choice). Similarly, Pearl Paradise is happy to help you pick loose drops and fit them with large eye pins. I'm sure some of the other vendors would be happy to do this too, so you might want to comparison shop.

If you want to customize further with a diamond, you'll probably need to contact the various vendors to see if they can do that for you, and at what price. It would be a custom job, so would take more time and be more expensive, and return policies differ a bit with custom work, so you'd want to ask about that. But many of the vendors are more than willing to work with you on custom pieces.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so very much!! :wavey: This is hugely helpful. I'll get in touch with American Pearl and get the process started. :appl:

Thanks again for the help! :))

kathy

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to add these two suggestions to the pile for huggies - Jude Frances and Annoushka. (You can get a 10% off coupon at Neiman's if you sign up for their newsletter.)

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/JudeFrances-Jewelry-Small-18k-White-Gold-Huggie-Hoop-Earrings-with-Diamonds-11mm/prod172530001/p.prod?icid=&searchType=MAIN&rte=%2FbrSearch.jsp%3Ffrom%3DbrSearch%26request_type%3Dsearch%26search_type%3Dkeyword%26q%3Ddiamond%20huggies&eItemId=prod172530001&cmCat=search

http://www.annoushka.com/us/eclipse-fine-hoop-earrings-a9ff2a.html

The Annoushka ones are really expensive IMO but hey, it's another option to throw out there. Someone might like them.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Tahitian drops that pearl Paradise is making me for my yellow gold diamond hoops will be here soon :appl:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tucs|1442750137|3929784 said:
cmd2014|1442713500|3929693 said:
I ordered the stock earrings. They are SI1, G color, no info on cut. In person they look good (that dark spot on the one earring in the picture isn't visible IRL - I've been wearing them for days though so they might need a cleaning). They are probably not the same quality as what you would get from a specialty diamond vendor, but they are a step up from what I've seen in stores here.

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty happy with them.

They look wonderful. Thank you CMD, I ordered mine after you posted close ups... Both yours and Icy's are gorgeous but with my small earlobes I think the American Pearl ones will suit me better. I ordered mine with VS diamonds. Not sure if there will be a discernible difference though, I guess the cut makes more of a difference. I didn't order the drops -- yet.

For the record, Kiki McDonough's have 0.13ctw of VVS diamonds (colour is the same, though).

Tucs, I've been curious to hear how your earrings turned out. Did you like them? Were they too hoop like? How were the nicer diamonds? (As you can see, I have many questions!).

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Hey CMD :wavey: Yes, I do like them. I don't find them too hoop like, but I do find them quite thin. It's OK because I want them to wear pearl drops, but I wouldn't wear them on their own.

I doubt the clarity upgrade makes much of a difference, as the diamonds are so small, especially considering my hair is long. But who knows, maybe they do sparkle more. I have tried to get close up photos with my iPhone but they are just not good enough. I will try to get photos with a better camera when I have a chance.

So all in all I'm happy with them. Thank you for letting us know, and I will post photos with pearl drops once I have some (I'm waiting for a couple of things).

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tucs,

I had the same thought about wearing them alone. They have good presence with the pearl drops, but disappear without them. I'm glad I didn't buy them as stand alone earrings as I'd probably not wear them much.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
OK, so I just got my new metallic FW drops from Pearls of Joy. I love them! and they go very well with the huggies, so I will post a few photos of them together -- I am terrible at ear shots, but hopefully one can get an idea.

fullsizerender_8.jpg

_35107.jpg

img_9730.jpg

img_9732.jpg

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
OOOO Tucs, you have my twins! They look beautiful on you. Don't they make you feel like a princess?

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
BWeaves - Yes, I do! I love the look with the huggies, they feel a little dressy but still fine for daily wear. The drops have beautiful pink overtones. I would have preferred smaller eye pins on them (they didn't have the size I would have liked), but with this size eye pins I can still wear the drops with a pair of old huggies I own.

So sorry for the total hijack of this thread, pinkjewel, but I hope others will find the photos and comments helpful.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh Tucs, those turned out to be so pretty! I love the metallic drops! :love: The huggies sit nicely on you too (and I do actually think that the better diamonds might be more sparkly). My next step might have to be metallic drops!

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
See, I don't mind the larger eye pins. I think they become part of the design of the earring. Interlocking loops.

Plus, it means you can hang them off all kinds of things, and not just earrings. Today, I've hung my drops off a couple of cable necklaces that are different lengths. I'll have to take a photo later as I don't have a camera with me right now.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Tucs: really pretty! They look fab and I'm sure you'll get so much wear out of them. What size are the drops btw?

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
BWeaves -- Yes, you are right, the wider eye pins make them more versatile. But I like a smaller design better :)

Thanks Icyjade -- the drops are 11-12mm.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Tucs, those are perfect… everyone has lovely huggie and pearls on this thread. On my wish list!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I ordered myself some metallic drops today for my huggies. I was inspired! Mine will be 10-11mm. Yay!

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1446258920|3944066 said:
So I ordered myself some metallic drops today for my huggies. I was inspired! Mine will be 10-11mm. Yay!

Nice! Did you also get them from Kevin? Looking forward to pics!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I took advantage of the PP 20% off code. I had it in my head that Kevin was sold out of his drops.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Tucs|1446214564|3943787 said:
BWeaves -- Yes, you are right, the wider eye pins make them more versatile. But I like a smaller design better :)

Thanks Icyjade -- the drops are 11-12mm.

That's my fav size for drops. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results