shape
carat
color
clarity

Design Ideas - Something new, old and blue in one!

ryeneat

Rough_Rock
Hello pearl-scopers!

This is my first post, but I read avidly in the antique diamond threads to help me design a rose gold ring around a 1.4 carat old european for my fiancee. :read: I've attached a picture presupposing someone would ask, even though this is a pearl forum. engagement_ring_13.jpg

So, on to the next part: wedding present. My fiancee's mother misplaced the pair of pearl earrings that she had always hoped to wear on her wedding day. They were warm colored south sea sphere studs, that's all I know. I thought, rather than trying to directly replace the earrings for which she hoped, I'd riff on them with my own take and with something from my family.

I'm really interested in south sea baroque drops, possibly whiter akoya with rose gold work. I prefer baroque drops to round so that I'm working with the idea of pearl earrings, but not copying the ones she might have worn in case they're recovered. Also, my fiance loves natural and organic shapes. I have a few inspirations. First, a pair from designer Ray Griffiths. You can see that these have a lovely sculptural feel to the hook (?): 18k_pearl_drop_earrings.png

But I am excited to try and incorporate four stones from my mother's tennis bracelet that she's broken apart for us (her children) to use. I will have two 3mm diamonds and two 3mm sapphires, so one of each on each earring. I was thinking something like this example from designer Anna Ruth Henriques:
pearl_earrings_example.jpg
But I can tell that part of the appeal is that the stones are of two different sizes and mine will be the same size.

So you can see, new earrings, blue sapphires, old stones.

So I'm asking pricescopers for a few things: one, advice on where I might get a matched pair of baroque drop earrings and what size I'm looking for that kind of proportion (price isn't really an object). I've looked at PP and AP but I'm having trouble finding a matched loose pair that I can bring to my jewelry designer. Two, if anyone has examples of pearl drop earrings with stones set in a fixed drop earring (I'm not looking for hinges or links I don't think) that they might share, or any brilliant design ideas, I'm all ears! Thanks in advance for the help.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of doing some pearl drops with the sapphires in the finding. I'd probably suggest that you think about doing something classic in terms of style though, as if she wears them for the wedding, you don't want them to look dated later on (and classics never do).

If you email PP (or use the online chat function), they can help you find a pair of loose drops. If you look at the " Cheered Myself Up With a Pearl Purchase from PP!" thread, I've posted a card of drops that PP put together for me to consider for earrings. I'm having one made into an earring jacket to go with my diamond studs. Here's a mock up using another earring. The pearl is 9 - 10 mm and I find it's a nice size for earrings. The studs are 0.5 carat (so around 0.48 - 0.5 mm round). Maybe she'd like something similar with the sapphires?

Edit: The drops are metallic freshwater. A very budget friendly pearl for a lot of impact. I don't think you'll find Akoya pearls in drop shapes. You can probably find White south sea drops, but they are at a much higher price point.

I'm not sure AP sells loose pearls, but you can always call them. They've been great in the past with me and my special requests.

earring_jacked_mock_up.jpg

ryeneat

Rough_Rock
Thanks, cmd, those are lovely! I think that for mine, because I'll have two stones, the pearl to stone size ratio should be greater. But that's at least partially accomplished by my smaller stones than your 5mm set.

And findings! That's the word! I knew "hooks" couldn't have been right.

I'll email PP straight away and we'll see.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hook is right, as that is one type of finding. Finding is a generic term; hook is specific.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I would contact PP, they can do a lot!!! they may even be able to create a special setting with the gems you have. I had an idea similar to this with diamonds and sapphires from an old ring my mom wants to break up. they have been super helpful about that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results