shape
carat
color
clarity

Convertible necklaces

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I noticed that American Pearl has a necklace that they call "Mystery Pearls". Here's the summary:

"We'll split your 51 inch necklace into four pieces that are (1) 8 inches, (2) 8 inches, (3) 17 inches and (4) 18 inches. This way, she can connect any pearl necklace segment to each other."

They split the pearls using hidden "mystery" clasps, and it could be done with any kind of pearls, with different lengths and segments. I've noticed that other vendors carry mystery clasps.

Has anyone tried anything like this?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I've used bracelets to make a necklace longer. However, they don't always match very well, and I have to hide the bracelet section under a shirt collar or wear my hair down.

I wonder why they have two 8" sections. One bracelet on each wrist, perhaps?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Actually I saw one of these strands from AP at the ruckus. The person took it apart and showed us all the separate lengths. Hidden clasps are very nice and work well. They are great for people with metal allergy's also. No metal touches the skin. I had seen her wearing the strand and couldn't tell it was built like this.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think bsomlo had her fw rope from PP made with mystery clasps. There should be a thread with photos.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ennui, NL and BabyMonster. I tried to search previously using the PS search engine, but I'll try again.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I love the bracelet/necklace combo. I've done this twice now, first with the Kamoka harvest strands shown above, and then at the 2014 PP ruckus when I purchased a couple of round Tahitian multicolor strands. It takes two regular strands of pearls, and I prefer a longer necklace anyway, so making them into a bracelet and longer necklace works great. Most often I wear them as two separate pieces, but sometimes a longer necklace is just perfect.

I also saw Kay's mystery clasp set. I think for a more complicated set, you get into issues with how the pearls graduate, and getting exactly the desired lengths. Eight inches might be a bit too long as a bracelet for many wrists, while 17 inches is shorter than I like for a necklace. I suppose the idea is you can wear a 16" (with the two 8 inch pieces) and 17" double necklace. It all depends on if those lengths work for you.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Flygirl, for pointing out that issue. I have very thin wrists and there is no way (I can think of) to make 7" bracelets that makes sense with a convertible set.

I will probably just do a 17" and 18" necklaces that combine into a 35" if I do this.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AP will custom adjust the lengths to suit for you. So if you want a smaller bracelet or a longer necklace, they will just put the clasps at different points in the strand.

I've looked at them too but don't like strands shorter than 18 inches with my less than swan-like neck, so I asked.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The mystery clasp is when they fit the mechanism inside the pearl. So you drill out a hole and glue in the female bit and then drill out another pearl and glue in the male bit ... then you push the bits together and twist to lock them into place ... (this is starting to sound like sex education) .

There are several manufacturers of this type of system and it allows for a 'continuous' look to the necklace ... what with the clasp being hidden inside of the pearls .. nothing much shows other than a tiny gap between the connecting pearls.

I've seen this with Kalis I think .. where they took a SS necklace and bracelet and turned it into a rope.

Very clever really...you get that versatility without any clasps showing.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Kay's strand appeared to have no ending. That is the best part about this clasp. Invisible.

This photo is from PP. Open and closed.

_62.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
What a brilliant idea! I have a silly question - how easy is it to locate that "invisible" clasp when it is on the neck - to open the necklace?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
yingh|1429120085|3862364 said:
What a brilliant idea! I have a silly question - how easy is it to locate that "invisible" clasp when it is on the neck - to open the necklace?
It's the one without a white knot inbetween.

Speaking of the knots, the other caution is you can end up stressing the string because you twist the strand when you are screwing the parts together. I've heard that invisible clasp pieces may need restringing more often because the silk gets weakened.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to admit, because the ones I was looking at were with akoya pearls, I also worried about wear and tear on the clasp pearls as you will be handling them a lot to twist them together and apart. I suppose it's not that painful to replace a pearl or two when restringing, but it's something to consider.

I remember Kay saying about hers that you can see where the clasp is because the clasp pearls are screwed tight together (so spaced visibly differently than the rest of the strand). If you are sensitive to that you would probably want to make sure that you could point the connections to the back in the combos you are most likely to wear. It might look prettier to have a fancy clasp in the front like the keshi clasps on the Kamoka ones.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I just saw this thread. I really love the mystery clasp connectors for the versatility. I should have bought larger pearls than the 7-7.5mm akoyas, and I should have bought them from Pearl Paradise instead of American Pearl. (I had PP re-string the strands last year and add 6" and the PP AAA were much higher in luster (and lower in price) than the AP AAA. PP used their AA+ to match the AAA from AP.)

I have very small wrists and needed 7” bracelets rather than 8.” AP accommodated this by splitting the 17” strand into two 7” and one 3” sections. I really like the 3" section for extra versatility. (One of my favorite combinations is an 18” and 19” (16+3) double matinee with a 7” double bracelet.) I had PP add another 6" in smaller pieces last year to allow a triple with gaps (16-19-22).

I think 18" + 19" with mystery connectors would be a great combination to allow a double or seamless rope. (Those are the lengths that look best on me. Others might prefer 17" + 18" or even 16" + 17".)

I can find the hidden clasps because I know what to look for, but they are hard to spot without looking closely.

Here is my original thread with photos:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pearls-51-strand-from-american-pearl.48766/
I just wish my neck still looked like that!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Kay it is great to see you posting. Hope all is well with you.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1429130523|3862484 said:
Kay it is great to see you posting. Hope all is well with you.

Thanks, 4RG. I took a hiatus from posting for a while due to my dad's illness and death, and the aftermath. I'm still trying to catch up at work, but I will pop in from time to time.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kay,

I'd been wondering about you too as I'd noticed that you weren't around. I'm sorry to hear about your dad.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Most women only have one or perhaps to Mistery clasps in a whole necklace . It wouldn't surprise me if restringers charge more if these clasps are being used.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Great photo of the clasp Nacrelover ..much clearer for people to take a look at it !

Fly girl makes a good point. Do to the way most of these work..the thread goes into the last pearl and ties onto the clasp bit ..so the twisting and turning could very easily cause wear and tear on the silk. And replacing this clasp isn't something that everyone knows how to do ..you have to restring everything and reset the clasp. Might have to mail it into the people that made it if no one around you know how to do it.

Kay, I'm so sorry hear hear about your dad. I such a difficult time.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The male end when you start is easy, but the female end to end is a two person job. There is a lot of stress on the knot, which is not the case when you use french wire and go though the three end pearls in regular stringing.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Cmd, Flygirl, NL and Katbran, thanks for the tips about the clasp. I was looking at this thread below, and a lariat may be a better option for me. I just want to have the option of a rope, doubled strands (and a lariat would be the 3rd option). I don't ever wear bracelets, and I think it would be very difficult for me to get one (with one hand) on with the Mystery Clasp.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-your-current-dream-project.205062/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-your-current-dream-project.205062/[/URL]

Kay, thank you for dropping in and taking the time from your busy schedule to give me your input. I hope things go better for you and that you are at peace.

I ordered 2 strands of white metallics, unstrung, to see how they look before I have anything custom done to them. I will report back when I make more progress.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
CMD, Katbran and Pregcurious, thanks, it has been rough, but things are staring to normalize. It's nice to be back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results