shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparison

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
I know NOTHING about pearls, but need to learn fast.

How do the pearls at PP compare to Mikimoto? Are the AAA grade pearls there comparable to MMs?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm not an expert, but this is what I've gathered from hanging around on the pearl boards for awhile. First, "Mikimoto" and "Pearl Paradise" are both the names of companies, so your question is probably too broad to answer with much accuracy. I hear Mikimoto is very overpriced, as you are paying an extreme premium for the name. Some people do want that brand and the trademark clasp to prove it, so I guess that's fine as long as they realize that they are paying much more for the brand name.

What I think of when I hear "Mikimoto" is akoya pearls (although they now sell other types). Pearl Paradise has those, and freshwater, and etcetera. All I would think could be said from your question is that both PP's AAA and Mikimoto are high quality. Beyond that, we would have to compare like items from each company to assess which is "better." Hope that helps.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Thank you.

Is there an agency that decides which pearls are graded AAA? or does the vendor designate the grade? (For example, GIA is an independent lab that grades diamonds. Is there an organization that does that type of cert so that pearls get A, AA or AAA grading?)

It really boils down to this: Are PPs AAA pearls the same quality as Mikimoto's AAA akoya pearls (without paying for the name, of course)?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results