shape
carat
color
clarity

Choose 1 from 3 Tahitian Strands - Vender vs. IRL Pictures

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I want to treat myself with a decent strand of Tahitians. After spending lots of time staring at online pictures, I narrowed down to three strands. Ordered them all since I cannot make decision from pictures.

Before I share pictures, just want to say that the vendors I worked with, Pearl Paradise and Pearls of Joy, are both very pleasant to work with. Especially I want to thank Kevin of POJ, who has been extremely patient and responsive.

Now the strands. I have labeled the A, B, and C. Let's start with Vendor glamour shot and description.

A, 8.4 - 10.9mm AAA, is the smallest among the three. It has intense dark green peacock body with mirror like luster. This picture got me hooked.

Here is one more normal picture from the vendor for A

B. 9.1 - 12.7mm AA+/AAA, silver body wit iridescent blue, green, and pink overtones.

C. 9.9 - 11.9mm AA+, dark green

_28199.jpg

_28200.jpg

_28201.jpg

_28202.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Choose 1 from 3 Tahitian Strands - Vender vs. IRL Pictur

Here at two more non glamour shots from the vendor, for C

_28203.jpg

_28204.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Although there is no IRL pic of B, that's the one I would pic for its lighter body colour.

C is too dark for my liking, and A being too brown for me.

All based on my own colour preferences, of course.

DK :))

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

A. my first impression was a little disappointment. I Just don't see all those wonderful colors. Finally, when I took it in sunlight, I began to see it's wonderful colors, but only if placed on white background. Most of time I see medium green with some pink, blue, and even silver overtones, depends on the lighting. A has the cleanist surface. Luster of all three are very comparable.

I took all pictures with my iPhone 6.

This was taken apparent in the car, indirect daylight

In sunlight

_28205.jpg

_28206.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

B. Being a silver strand it has a metal like appearance. Has soft pink overtones, sometimes shows light blue or light green overtones, but still appear silver. In evening lighting, very shining. Goes well with my skin tone. B is the largest among three.

_28207.jpg

_28208.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

C. Medium green with some blue overtone. A few pearls also appear to be peacock. Has light blemishes on some pearls and a few are more off round than round. But when worn blemishes are hardly noticeable. The surface almost has this 'oily' feeling and luster is sharp - I can see my face clearly on it when taking pictures.

_28209.jpg

_28210.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Still B for me if I were to choose.

All three are lovely, whichever one you decide to keep.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

Price wise, A > B > C.

now the group shots. Note in some pictures A appear larger because it is at the front and C look smaller in the back.

_28211.jpg

_28212.jpg

_28213.jpg

_28214.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

Hand shot. This picture is very accurate to their real colors. Thanks for helping me decide!

For some reason the picture is always turned 90 degrees when uploaded from iPhone. From bottom to top: A, B, C

_28217.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

I would choose B, but I preferred the description of B even without the photos. The photos just reinforced it.

Tahitians look best on a rainy day, imho. There's something about the quality of light. Or maybe it's the humidity.

Direct sunlight is the worst for pearls, imho, which is why pearl buyers wait for bright sunny days. That's when all the flaws are easier to see.

It's awfully nice of the vendors to send you all three strands, knowing you were only going to buy one. Do they even ask for a deposit?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hard to go wrong. The luster is beautiful on A and C. B is a bit more satiny, but that is typical of the silver toned ones, and it glows. From the wrist shot, I'd say B and C might go best with your skin tone, but you should go with whichever one you think looks best on your neck.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

What a treat to see these photos of pearls both in the vendor photos and in yours. Thank you so much.

However, the most important place to view pearls is around your own neck. Get a hand held mirror and check them out in different lighting. And with different clothing. Whichever looks the best being worn should be the winner.

Take the original photo horizontal...that is how it seems to load. It doesn't know that you turned the camera vertically.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock

Lovely strands. I agree with previous posters that you should compare them on your neck. I think they all look very nice on your hand.

Personally based on my colour preferences I like C, then A then B.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ohh, I love C. That green color and sharp luster just draw me in. It's a bonus that it's the least expensive too!

Btw, too funny that you have PS as background for photos :lol:

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

I don't know how anyone ever decides ... the more I look at the IRL photos, I think I like C.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

They all look lovely on you, I agree neck shots will help a lot with the vote.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Now I'm leaning strongly towards C. Will give it a few more days to make sure. I did it try them n my neck, but it is hard to take neck shots.

Just to clarify, I bought all three and both vendors have good return policy (not just a deposit). They all told me to feel free to return the strands if it doesn't worrk for me.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I lean heavily toward C. Lovely green!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yingh,

I think it's smart to buy multiples and send back the ones that don't work. Buying Tahitians online is tricky. As you probably have seen in the vendor vs real life thread and in your own experience, the light box pictures highlight all sorts of overtones in the pearls that are rarely visible under 'normal' light conditions. IRL, Tahitians often look grey or green, with maybe a slight overtone colour. They don't really pop except in diffuse light conditions. Direct sunlight and the black background of the boxes that they come in both wash out Tahitians like nothing else, so it's hard to open then up without being disappointed, espeically if you have a vendor glamor shot in mind as your expectation.

So I think the best way to do it is to compare a few stands IRL on yourself, look at them in different lights, and pick the one that looks best on you. There's too many other factors otherwise (size, colour, luster, shape, number and placements of blemishes, drape) to know for sure from an online purchase.

All three that you picked are gorgeous. I do love the peacock one. It has stunning luster, no obvious blemishes, and screaming peacock overtones, but it's also the smallest and you need to be sure that it works on you. The silver one is also beautiful. I love the glow. It might pop against your skin as well. The C strand is also stunning. I love the dark green, it has great luster, and the size is nice. It's a bonus that it's the least expensive, but you will have to be ok with the higher level of blemishes and the slightly off shape of some of the pearls. If that's something that is going to bug you in the long term, you might want to see if Kevin has a similar strand that is AAA. It's less expensive to pay the extra money up front than buy a 2nd strand down the road....(a lesson I am learning myself at the moment). Neck shots are easiest on an iphone. They tend to be more flattering if taken from a slightly high angle with your chin slightly up for easier editing.

Happy picking!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

CMD, thanks very much for your advice. Well said!

Here comes the neck shots. My apologies for typos in my posts - side effects from typing on iPhone and accepting auto suggestions.

_28236.jpg

_28237.jpg

_28235.jpg

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock

They all look nice on you. That said, in my opinion, A looks really really nice on your neck. I may still like C the best, but A is very close. Of course you would want to look at them in different light conditions -- I recently purchased a strand myself and the way I knew that one was for me is that I loved it under any light condition.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like A and C best on you too. In the pictures, A looks like it blends beautifully with your skin tone, almost like it was made with you in mind. On the other hand, C looks like it just pops on your neck. So I would say that it depends on what kind of look you are hoping for. A is a more subtle look, both in terms of match to your skin tone and size, whereas C is more of a statement look IMO. A is pretty and sophisticated, and would not look out of place worn either casually or with business wear. C is more glam.

Edit: I think for me C might squeeze out A by a hair.

Which one do you feel best in?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

They are all so pretty but I would choose c!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I still prefer B after seeing all the new photos.

katkashmir

Rough_Rock

I like you in Strand A followed by Strand C.... yes, it is really hard to pick which one.... that's why I end up with more than one necklace. :angel:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

C followed by A, in my opinion.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

I like C. Those pearls seem to have a lot of life and glow.

How do you plan to wear them? Because A goes well with that outfit.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

OK ...this is a tough one as they are all gorgeous. I was completely undecided until you posted the photos of you wearing them...For ME it's C I think it looks fabulous on your skin and the luster is gorgeous. That said ... A also looks very good . Always hard to tell with photos...in another set A might look better. The only one I don't think suits you is B .. and they are very pretty..but I don't think the silver looks as nice as the deeper colours.

They are all really lovely strands !

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My vote is still for C. It's so vibrant.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

Many, many thanks to everyone for helping me to choose!

I have decided to keep C.

Call me vain, but for the price paid I want to have a strand that pops instead of blend in (color and size wise). A is too subtle.

Although C has the most blemishes, but they are only visible when closely inspected - not when they are worn on my neck.

I tried them in different lighting, C is the one that I like all the time. There are many individual pearls on C that are so beautiful that I will regret later if I send it back.

I will wear it to office, and sometimes on weekends.

Thanks again, everyone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results