shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you tell me if this is real pearls or not?

Max817

Rough_Rock
Hello, guys

I bought this pearl necklace from CL. I was told that this was from her grandma. When I got it string was yellow and old. So I restring it by myself. They look real but i am not pearl experts.
Thanks in advance

100media_imag1010.jpg

100media_imag1009.jpg

100media_imag1011.jpg

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Hard to tell from picture... From the size, looks like they could be akoyas or freshwater if real pearls? it would be very hard to have a strand of perfectly matched pearls in both size and color (roundness too for freshwater and south sea). So you might want to compare the size and color. I'm sure experts here would be able to tell you how else to verify.

Max817

Rough_Rock
Thanks for inputs Greenbing..

I did some readings online to tell if it is real or not.. did tooth test. They dont feel smooth.. little gritty.. So I think this is real. :confused: :confused: :confused:

naria

Shiny_Rock
If they feel gritty, that is a good sign. You might also want to look at the drill holes. Fakes tend to have their surface treated with a lacquer mixed with crushed fish scales for luster. If you look on the inside of the drill hole you might notice that the inside is substantially duller than the exterior close to the surface of the pearl. This could indicate a fake. You might instead notice that the pearl is is shiny on the outside and towards the surface in the drill hole but then duller. This would indicate a bead nucleated pearl and that you have akoyas on your hands. Anyways, it can be hard to see, but worth a look if you're able at some point.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results