shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you tell me ANYTHING about this STUNNING necklace?

CasOliii

Rough_Rock
My grandmother gave me this ring when I graduated from high school. She said it had been given to her as well from a family member. My grandmother immigrated from Germany in the 80's and for sure had this during WW2. She was born in the early 30's so I'm thinking this Necklace must be from between 1900 and 1930 but this is just a guess. I've tried looking up the bug-like hallmark to no avail. The back has some kind of stamp and "585". Unsure of gem within the pendant part, it is however, surrounded by diamonds. Has anyone seen this or know who it was made by? Value?? Please note that the black flecks are NOT on the necklace, just areas on my phone that no longer have pixels.

img_8115.jpg

img_8117.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
585 is the hallmark for 14K gold (58.5% gold).

The center stone looks like an opal to me.

What is the mm size of the pearls? How long is the necklace?

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
This looks like a piece that could be valuable and is worth getting properly appraised and repaired (hard to tell from the pics but it looks like it is missing a melee diamond on the clasp?).

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
EvangelineG|1433172135|3883693 said:
This looks like a piece that could be valuable and is worth getting properly appraised and repaired (hard to tell from the pics but it looks like it is missing a melee diamond on the clasp?).

I imagine the sentimental value may exceed the monetary value. Vintage jewelry can be hit or miss when it comes to value. There are some similar necklaces on ebay that are priced low.

I think this necklace should be worn and cherished. :angel:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Did you have the diamonds checked for authenticity and the opal also? That would be my first step.
They may be glass, sapphire , zirconia. The strand is in dire need of cleaning to remove decades of oils and makeup. The pearls don't appear totally round as one would expect for cultured akoyas.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
ennui|1433174603|3883713 said:
EvangelineG|1433172135|3883693 said:

I imagine the sentimental value may exceed the monetary value. Vintage jewelry can be hit or miss when it comes to value. There are some similar necklaces on ebay that are priced low.

I think this necklace should be worn and cherished. :angel:

You are right, perhaps I should have been more specific when I said valuable. What I meant was that because it is marked 14k that indicates that it is in the "fine jewelry" rather than costume jewelry category, and as such I would want to get the opal and diamonds checked to see if they are authentic. If they are, I would likely consider it worthwhile to repair and rehab the piece.

And yes, then wear and cherish. :)

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
And NacreLover is right about having the gems checked for authenticity, especially in anything from around WWII. I always remember Mae West sold all of her gemstones to buy war bonds, and wore paste stones, and no one knew until she passed away and her jewelry was appraised for the estate.

amti

Rough_Rock
The stone might be a black opal. Let us know what you find out!

BlackPearlDudeDC

Rough_Rock
Not sure if you are still around, but as far as the Hallmark there are some places and books that might help you out:

langantiques.com/university/index.php/Hallmarks

or

store.gia.edu/World_Hallmarks_Vol_I_Europe_19th_21st_Cent_p/0203195.htm

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results