shape
carat
color
clarity

Can Anyone Spot Which Ones Are The Hanadamas?

Which strand is which?

• 1) Hanadama 2) Akoya AAA 3) Hanadama 4) Freshadama

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 1) Freshadama 2) Akoya AAA 3) Hanadama 4) Hanadama

• 1) Hanadama 2) Freshadama 3) Akoya AAA 4) Hanadama

• 1) Freshadama 2) Hanadama 3) Hanadama 4) Akoya AAA

• 1) Freshadama 2) Akoya AAA 3) Hanadma 4) Akoya AAA

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Dear PS Experts,

Mia of PP was nice enough to get a picture taken of several strands I am considering. Can you spot which ones are the Freshadamas and which ones are the Hanadamas? I had trouble doing this, I will post the results in a day or so.
The second through fourth strands all have a rose hue and the 4rth has a silver rose overtone. I think they all look pretty damn good and I had a lot of trouble identifying which is which if I didn't have the answers
35.gif

One of these strands sells for $280 while the most expensive is $2875.

Regards,
CCL

pearlcomparison.jpg

I gave up and guessed. I think you should revise the poll and tell us there are " one akoya, two freshadamas and one hanadamas" ... this is frustrating.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The top strand seems noticeably less sharp than the other three to me. Beyond that I guessed.

Date: 10/30/2009 5:52:23 PM
Author: glitterata
The top strand seems noticeably less sharp than the other three to me. Beyond that I guessed.

Me too, I put that as the cheapest strand. I can see some blemishes, but the 3rd strand is my fave (such a size girl!)

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
It''s so difficult to tell but my guess is that the top two are freshwater pearls
between the 3rd and the 4th, can''t tell which is hte hanadama from the pic. The luster looks the same to me, but can''t tell how "perfect" the pearls are from just one view.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I thought that the second strand might be Freshadama, because my Freshadama''s are pretty ''pinked''.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, thanks for the pictures as I am considering between hanadamas and AAA akoyas. The results you post will be most helpful. Anyway, I voted the last answer: 1)Freshadama b)AAA Akoya c)Hanadama d)AAA Akoya.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
honestly, I can''t distinguish the good from the not so good. Call me stupid!
I can''t wait to read the results

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Voted for the second answer from the top. Reason - luster seems weaker in the strand at the top, and it also seems to have less obvious overtones. The second strand from the top looked like it could be some sort of akoyas cause (to me, from that photo) they looked like they''re not matched as well as the top strand, so I figured those are probably not freshwater. Other than that, it was pretty much guessing as I really don''t know that much about pearls.

And I thought it was tough to ID a diamond (from the photo) next to a cz, a natural zircon and a moissanite - piece of cake compared to this.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/30/2009 7:27:35 PM
Author: elle_chris
It's so difficult to tell but my guess is that the top two are freshwater pearls
between the 3rd and the 4th, can't tell which is hte hanadama from the pic. The luster looks the same to me, but can't tell how 'perfect' the pearls are from just one view.
I'm with Elle on this one.

they all look sooo close from the pictures, that I probably would just save the extra $2k
3.gif
however the last two strands have much more significant apparent luster as well so maybe they are both Hanadamas?
and I'm going to guess that the third one is the $2,875 if it is the Handadama as they are hard to find in larger sizes
3.gif

ehh, purely guessing though.
Fresh, Akoya, Hanadama, Hanadama

Streeter1

Rough_Rock
Based on reflection alone, I agree with D&T, even though they all look very similar. Freshadama, AAA akoya, and two hanadama. The second hanadama does not look like the traditional pink, maybe more of a silver.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/31/2009 10:39:09 AM
Author: D&T

Date: 10/30/2009 7:27:35 PM
Author: elle_chris
It''s so difficult to tell but my guess is that the top two are freshwater pearls
between the 3rd and the 4th, can''t tell which is hte hanadama from the pic. The luster looks the same to me, but can''t tell how ''perfect'' the pearls are from just one view.
I''m with Elle on this one.

they all look sooo close from the pictures, that I probably would just save the extra $2k
3.gif
however the last two strands have much more significant apparent luster as well so maybe they are both Hanadamas?
and I''m going to guess that the third one is the $2,875 if it is the Handadama as they are hard to find in larger sizes
3.gif

ehh, purely guessing though.
Fresh, Akoya, Hanadama, Hanadama
I was actually torn between AAA and hanadama for the the last strand. The last strand has more even surface and better lustre than the 2nd strand, which I believe is the AAA. However, the last strand has a slightly less even surface than the third strand. Perhaps the last strand is still good enough to be considered hanadama.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Voted for the last answer. I think you should make a trip to PP to choose your own strand if you could.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that was tough! I picked option 3, but now I''ve gone back and looked again, I don''t think I am correct.

Put us out of our misery CCL.

I''m sure I can''t pick a $2,000 difference, thats for sure!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
1) 7.5-8.0 Freshadama Ivory $280
2) 7.0-7.5 AAA Rose $698
3) 8.0-8.5 Hanadama Rose $2875
4) 7.0-7.5 Hanadama Silver-Rose $1550

Choice #2 was the correct one.

i) To me I see blemishes in strands 2 and 4 I was surprised the last strand is Hanadamas.
ii) The rose overtones which just the ones they had in stock. Strands 2/3 are actually strong rose.

Congratulations to D&T and Streeter1 you really have keen eyes.

Simplysplendid I deliberately gave the last choice because I see some blemishes in that Hanadama strand, I quesion how wide the range is for Hanadama.

I will like be ordering strands 1) and 2) and maybe 4) to see in person but all in a slight rose overtone.
This picture test and your responses are not unlike what I saw in a store, I couldn't tell the difference between Akoya AAA from the Hanadamas at Birks.
Thanks all who chose I think there are really suttle differences between Akoya AAA and Hanadamas especially in photographs. The prices also rise dramatically as you go above 7.5mm for Hanadama pearls.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
woot!

they are all so pretty, but most people probably wouldn''t be able to tell the difference either. can''t wait to see your IRL shots. do come back with photos of the strands that you selected

I picked number 2- though I wasn''t completely sure of my choices. Perhaps I shouldn''t second guess myself so much.

Can''t wait to see what you get!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 7:58:24 AM
woot!

they are all so pretty, but most people probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference either. can't wait to see your IRL shots. do come back with photos of the strands that you selected
Freshadamas Set, 8.5 - 9mm slight rose overtone. The choice was easy for me once my Fiance tried on and liked larger sized pearls. I could barely tell the difference between Akoyas and the highest quality Freshwater pearls so the choice was easy.

Mia Mesa from pearlparadise was wonderful and patient, I liked her so much I ordered seven pairs of Black earrings for my Fiance's bridesmaids, will post when I get them in the mail.
My only conplaint if any was that I would like to remove the metal on either side of the clasp I wonder if that can be done?

Freshadamas85to9.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 4:30:09 PM
Author: swedish bean
I picked number 2- though I wasn''t completely sure of my choices. Perhaps I shouldn''t second guess myself so much.

Can''t wait to see what you get!
Here they are, its funny the lighting make them appear to not be well matched overtone wise but that isn''t the case.

freshadamasinbox.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2009 8:04:07 PM
Author: szh07
I thought that the second strand might be Freshadama, because my Freshadama''s are pretty ''pinked''.

I don''t think the freshadamas are pinked with dye. I think thats usually done with akoyas.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2009 12:19:08 AM
Author: innerkitten

Date: 10/30/2009 8:04:07 PM
Author: szh07

I don''t think the freshadamas are pinked with dye. I think thats usually done with akoyas.
I think you are right as well for the slight rose overtone, but pinks in freshies may also be dyed if its really saturated or a strange pink color.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Almost forgot to say. The set ypu chose is lovely. She''s bound get a lot of use out of those for years to come. Since you can wear them alone or together :)

Yes freshwaters are often dyed but I know that the freshadamas are free of dyes.

P.S. Have you seen those untreated Vietnamese akoyas that The Pearl Outlet was selling?

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2009 11:14:31 AM
Almost forgot to say. The set ypu chose is lovely. She''s bound get a lot of use out of those for years to come. Since you can wear them alone or together :)

Yes freshwaters are often dyed but I know that the freshadamas are free of dyes.

P.S. Have you seen those untreated Vietnamese akoyas that The Pearl Outlet was selling?
No do you have a link? I read a little and thought these just get labelled as japanese akoyas anyway, apparently they can be bigger?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/25/2009 1:23:46 PM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

woot!

they are all so pretty, but most people probably wouldn''t be able to tell the difference either. can''t wait to see your IRL shots. do come back with photos of the strands that you selected
Freshadamas Set, 8.5 - 9mm slight rose overtone. The choice was easy for me once my Fiance tried on and liked larger sized pearls. I could barely tell the difference between Akoyas and the highest quality Freshwater pearls so the choice was easy.

Mia Mesa from pearlparadise was wonderful and patient, I liked her so much I ordered seven pairs of Black earrings for my Fiance''s bridesmaids, will post when I get them in the mail.
My only conplaint if any was that I would like to remove the metal on either side of the clasp I wonder if that can be done?
Lovely! they look beautiful, man sometimes I wished my DH was more into jewelry and have a an eye for pearls, diamonds, gemstones...etc...lol
3.gif

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
2.gif

Date: 11/26/2009 2:57:35 PM

Date: 11/25/2009 1:23:46 PM

woot!

Mia Mesa from pearlparadise was wonderful and patient, I liked her so much I ordered seven pairs of Black earrings for my Fiance''s bridesmaids, will post when I get them in the mail.
Lovely! they look beautiful, man sometimes I wished my DH was more into jewelry and have a an eye for pearls, diamonds, gemstones...etc...lol
3.gif
What would you do if you bought sheets and brought them home and put them on the bed and your Husband told you they don''t match the headboard
2.gif
and made you take them back. Ask my fiance she might say its a blessing and a curse.
19.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2009 8:33:44 PM
2.gif

Date: 11/26/2009 2:57:35 PM

3.gif
What would you do if you bought sheets and brought them home and put them on the bed and your Husband told you they don''t match the headboard
2.gif
and made you take them back. Ask my fiance she might say its a blessing and a curse.
19.gif
lol... aaahh so true, I buy all of my DHs wardrobe...lol
23.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Here are some of them. These are multi colored though. Some people on another forum had them in earrings and they look really nice.

http://www.thepearloutlet.com/servlet/ProductView?commodityID=30577&command=cp&supplierID=490

Found these on page two of The Pearl Outlet akoya page.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2009 11:09:58 PM
Here are some of them. These are multi colored though. Some people on another forum had them in earrings and they look really nice.

http://www.thepearloutlet.com/servlet/ProductView?commodityID=30577&command=cp&supplierID=490

Found these on page two of The Pearl Outlet akoya page.
Those look really pretty gorgeous soft tones, but are only 6.5-7mm. I had it in my mind somewhere that there were HUGE akoya pearls being developed in Vietnam for reasonable prices. The Holy Grail of Akoyas 11mm+ AAA akoyas at a reasonable price. I guess that is just dreaming considering they would take like 8 years+ to grow!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results