shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue baroque akoyas or Madamas? – I’m on the ledge

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I may be crazy, but I am re-considering my recent purchase of blue baroque akoyas. I was very excited when I selected my 36” rope of blue baroque akoyas at PP recently. They are very blue, 8-8.5 mm, and I can wear doubled or long. While the color is gorgeous, they are not round or near round, and the skins on many of the pearls are not smooth. They are baroques, and priced accordingly, and I figured I could live with the “imperfections” in exchange for the gorgeous color.

I did not ask to see any Madamas during my visit, because the website showed they were sold out, and the only strand shown was a 9-9.5 mm strand for $4,900, which is more than I can justify paying for a single necklace. However, over the weekend, Missy posted about a newly listed PP Madama strand in the “lemming” thread. This strand is an 18” 8-8.5 mm strand for $3,482.

Kevin at POJ also recently listed an 18” 9-9.5 mm strand of round natural blue akoyas for $4,100. He thinks it is Madama quality, although not certified as such. The color looks darker blue than the PP Madama strand, and larger diameter, but more expensive. (Plus, I feel funny about switching vendors at this point.)

The smooth, glowing orbs of the Madamas really appeal to me. It would be hard for me to justify buying 2 blue akoya necklaces (if I keep the baroques now, I would be unlikely to also buy Madamas later). The baroques are much less expensive, deep blue, and a double strand, which I really like. There is no way I could afford a double strand of Madamas.

PP has not sent me the baroques yet (J needed to drill and string another strand for me first), so I could probably switch to the Madamas. We were able to buy 2 new mattress sets we needed for less than we anticipated thanks to a holiday sale, so I could bridge the difference in price, but is it crazy to do so? The cost difference between the baroques and Madamas could be set aside and should be enough to cover the next 3 items on my pearl wish list from the “lemming” thread. It doesn’t help that the only photos I have of the baroques are my poor quality pictures that I am comparing to the Madama “glamour shots.”

WWYD?

PP 8-8.5 mm Madamas:

POJ 9-9.5 mm Madamas:

PP blue baroque akoyas (bad pictures):

top 2 strands:

madamablueakoyas_8-85_pp.jpg

madamablueakoyas_9-95_poj.jpg

img_5025.jpg

img_5028.jpg

leyhuong

Shiny_Rock
Kay,
If you are not sure about the order, cancel it so that you have time to think it over. Don't settle for something just b/c you've already made the order. I need to see you happy wearing what you truly want.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fun dilemma ;))

When you start getting into 000s category, you should think about your personality. Do you prefer to have variety of pearls so there are different colors and sizes for different occasions and moods? Or do you prefer to have one best quality piece to wear with everything all the time? No right answer, just personal preference.

I'm of the latter variety so I go for best quality in largest size. No intermediate purchases. Those are for sub 1k mark.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
leyhuong|1404762263|3708319 said:
Kay,
If you are not sure about the order, cancel it so that you have time to think it over. Don't settle for something just b/c you've already made the order. I need to see you happy wearing what you truly want.

That's good advice. I am not sure whether I will be happier with the double strand of deep blue baroques (and the extra $ in my bank account) or the single strand of lighter blue but "perfect" Madamas.

I feel bad about canceling the order, because it required Hisano spending time to blend the 2 strands together as 1 and string the necklace. Plus, I had them remove 2 pearls to make matching earring jackets. (I would pay for the custom earring settings and use them later with other pearls.) I should ask Jeremy whether the work has been done yet.

mapo

Shiny_Rock
what a wonderful problem to have. :cheeky: I echo the previous advice. chose what you love and don't settle! personally, if I had to chose between the madama strands, I'd go with the darker blue madama strand from POJ.

But I understand your dilemma. I prefer baroque shapes over round as I am a casual dresser. I get plenty of wear out of my two baroque strands.

Which strand would go best with your lifestyle?

ltlmsmfft

Shiny_Rock
I think in a recent blog post (?) PP mentioned they had several strands of madamas that came in and were sent off for grading. Maybe only one has come back. I would call them and ask them if they are waiting on more to come back and what size/depth of color they are. For such a large purchase, I would want you to have zero regrets. If you decide to change the order, I would not feel too bad since you would be making a much larger purchase and since the baroque blue akoyas sell so well for them. It's not like they will be stuck with them. You mentioned you probably would not get another strand of blues so make sure you get the one you really want.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1404762647|3708323 said:
What a fun dilemma ;))

When you start getting into 000s category, you should think about your personality. Do you prefer to have variety of pearls so there are different colors and sizes for different occasions and moods? Or do you prefer to have one best quality piece to wear with everything all the time? No right answer, just personal preference.

I'm of the latter variety so I go for best quality in largest size. No intermediate purchases. Those are for sub 1k mark.

I'm in between. I like to have some variety, but I prefer to have a few high quality pieces rather than lots of inexpensive ones. The blue baroque pearls are just over the 1K mark, so not a casual purchase.

I do already have some variety in my collection. I have 51" of 7-7.5 mm white/rose akoyas with mystery connectors that I usually wear as a double or triple strand to make up for the small diameter. I really regret not going up 1 or 2 sizes in diameter. (I especially regret not knowing about PP when I bought them in 2005, because I could have had 8-8.5 mm pearls for the same price.)
I also have a mixed WSS and Tahitian baroque strand (graduated from 14 to 9 mm) on its way. Adding either blue necklace gives me 3 very different strands to choose from. The tin cup necklaces and pendants on my wish list would be fun to own, but aren't really necessary. (Although it would be good to have 1 more casual necklace/pendant.)

Kay

Ideal_Rock
mapo|1404765421|3708349 said:
what a wonderful problem to have. :cheeky: I echo the previous advice. chose what you love and don't settle! personally, if I had to chose between the madama strands, I'd go with the darker blue madama strand from POJ.

But I understand your dilemma. I prefer baroque shapes over round as I am a casual dresser. I get plenty of wear out of my two baroque strands.

Which strand would go best with your lifestyle?

I know -- definite first-world "problem" here. :oops: I'm somewhat embarrassed to be so stressed out over the decision, or to be comtemplating spending this much $, but this is a jewelry forum, lol.

As for my lifestyle, I wear suits Monday through Thursday, business casual on Friday, and extremely casual clothes (shorts or jeans) on weekends. I am unlikely to wear pearls (or much jewelry at all) on weekends, except for the rare occasions I put on dressy casual clothes for dinner out or a party. (Weekends are usually spent chasing 3 and 5 year old girls.) I very rarely attend formal events, but I do have 1 formal charity event this fall. So the short answer is that my pearls are most often worn with suits, and occasionally with sundresses or a nice sweater and pants.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
ltlmsmfft|1404770140|3708416 said:
I think in a recent blog post (?) PP mentioned they had several strands of madamas that came in and were sent off for grading. Maybe only one has come back. I would call them and ask them if they are waiting on more to come back and what size/depth of color they are. For such a large purchase, I would want you to have zero regrets. If you decide to change the order, I would not feel too bad since you would be making a much larger purchase and since the baroque blue akoyas sell so well for them. It's not like they will be stuck with them. You mentioned you probably would not get another strand of blues so make sure you get the one you really want.

You're right, I should ask about other Madama strands they might have/have coming.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Kay, are you on the "other" forum which has the ability to PM?

Kay

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1404773361|3708465 said:
Kay, are you on the "other" forum which has the ability to PM?

Yes, as KaySD. I just signed in over there if you want to PM me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If money is no object, I would definitely take the natural blue Madamas.

However, I would definitely get the blue baroque Akoyas as they are gorgeous as well as good value for money.

DK :))

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I would go for the strand you will ultimately love the most. If its the baroques go with those, but I think you will always have the "what ifs" no matter what you choose.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
You are already getting a stunning necklace with those South Sea and Tahitians. I'd keep the blue baroque akoya rope, for many reasons, but mostly because, those pearls actually look blue! :appl:

ltlmsmfft

Shiny_Rock
I just saw the post about your work attire. I got a strand of the Vietnamese baroque blue akoyas recently and I can tell you they look STUNNING with ladies suits. I work in an office and have a similar wardrobe. They look especially classy when worn with black. The only reason I don't have the Madamas is that I can't afford them; but, I am a huge fan. Truth be told, I would want both my baroques AND a Madama strand if there was any way I could figure out how to pay for them. I don't think I am helping....

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Kay to be called Madama it needs to be certified Madama there are other things involved in certification than "just looks like" measureable nacre thickness for one.

So take a deep breath and think about what you really, really want then only buy what you love or it will be left in the drawer unworn.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Kay -- I PMed you. Look for "Notifications" on the top right of the screen on the "other" forum.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1404785382|3708609 said:
Kay to be called Madama it needs to be certified Madama there are other things involved in certification than "just looks like" measureable nacre thickness for one.
So take a deep breath and think about what you really, really want then only buy what you love or it will be left in the drawer unworn.

I agree with 4ranch on this. Go to the Madama section and see the criteria to be rated as such. There is NO I think they are Madama grade.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your comments. I think I briefly lost my mind. I really do want both, lol. :naughty: After taking a break from jewelry buying since 2008 due to family health issues, work issues and a house re-model from hell, I recently re-discovered the pearl forum. I am suddenly obsessed with pearls and have a huge wish list. I need to take a breath and slow down.

I have decided not to cancel my order for the baroques, as I really loved the color in person. I may try to swing a Madama strand too, now or in the future, perhaps for our 10th wedding anniversary next year. I want to view the available strands in person when I have time to go to LA again.

Do any of you know if the PP Mother's Day or other holiday discounts typically apply to special pearls like the Madamas?

Kay

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1404787650|3708639 said:
Kay -- I PMed you. Look for "Notifications" on the top right of the screen on the "other" forum.

Thank you. I sent you a reply.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
dk168|1404777447|3708509 said:
If money is no object, I would definitely take the natural blue Madamas.

However, I would definitely get the blue baroque Akoyas as they are gorgeous as well as good value for money.

DK :))

If money were truly no object, I would have a big trunk full. ;-)

Kay

Ideal_Rock
ckrickett|1404780778|3708555 said:
I would go for the strand you will ultimately love the most. If its the baroques go with those, but I think you will always have the "what ifs" no matter what you choose.

You aren't kidding about the "what ifs." I have those with every major decision.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1404782640|3708574 said:
You are already getting a stunning necklace with those South Sea and Tahitians. I'd keep the blue baroque akoya rope, for many reasons, but mostly because, those pearls actually look blue! :appl:

Yes, you are right, I can't walk away from strands that are truly blue, and I do have the other necklace when I want to wear something "fancier."

Kay

Ideal_Rock
ltlmsmfft|1404784790|3708603 said:
I just saw the post about your work attire. I got a strand of the Vietnamese baroque blue akoyas recently and I can tell you they look STUNNING with ladies suits. I work in an office and have a similar wardrobe. They look especially classy when worn with black. The only reason I don't have the Madamas is that I can't afford them; but, I am a huge fan. Truth be told, I would want both my baroques AND a Madama strand if there was any way I could figure out how to pay for them. I don't think I am helping....

It's good to know the baroques look good with your suits. I live in black and gray suits.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1404801512|3708775 said:

I agree with 4ranch on this. Go to the Madama section and see the criteria to be rated as such. There is NO I think they are Madama grade.

You are both right -- I should not be comparing true Madamas with similar looking blue akoyas. I am sure there is a good reason for the price difference. I just liked the idea of the larger diameter pearls for a lower price than the PP 9mm price.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Kay|1404817737|3708855 said:
Thank you all for your comments. I think I briefly lost my mind. I really do want both, lol. :naughty: After taking a break from jewelry buying since 2008 due to family health issues, work issues and a house re-model from hell, I recently re-discovered the pearl forum. I am suddenly obsessed with pearls and have a huge wish list. I need to take a breath and slow down.

I have decided not to cancel my order for the baroques, as I really loved the color in person. I may try to swing a Madama strand too, now or in the future, perhaps for our 10th wedding anniversary next year. I want to view the available strands in person when I have time to go to LA again.

Do any of you know if the PP Mother's Day or other holiday discounts typically apply to special pearls like the Madamas?
It probably would but the problem arises with the Madama not always being availiable. Those pearls are rare for a reason.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Kay - I think you're doing the right thing. The baroques are special because you picked them out of so many strands there and I think you'll love them. And the Madama's will (hopefully) be there when you're ready. In terms of discounts, PP does offer a certain % off all of there items occassionally during the year so I hope the timing is perfect for you!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Jeremy took pictures of the two baroque strands with an 8-8.5 mm Madama strand and an 8.5-9 mm Madama strand. They are all gorgeous.

madama_and_baroques1.jpg

madama_and_baroques2.jpg

madama_and_baroques3.jpg

ltlmsmfft

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow! They are stunning! If you are looking for that deep blue color though, the baroques win hands down. Still if I had 5K to burn, I would love a Madama strand.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Kay, OMG -- thanks for sharing the pictures! They are both stunning and very different! The blues in your baroques are amazing with the gorgeous flashes of turquoise and rose. The round silvery blue madamas are also gorgeous -- steely, cool and elegant.

What are you going to do?!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results