shape
carat
color
clarity

Bday present for my lovely wife: Did I do OK ?

AustinIsWeird

Rough_Rock
HI,

First post. Just bought these freshwater pearls for my wife's 50th. What do you all think ?

20130808_154930__1_.jpg

20130808_154930__1_.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are very pretty. Happy Birthday to her.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Can you tell us more about them? What size are the pearls and what length did you get?

Are these her first strand of freshwater pearls? I bet she will be thrilled when she opens the box. HB to her.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! I love a classic like that strand.

AustinIsWeird

Rough_Rock
Thanks all. Yes., her first set of fresh water. I opted to go full throttle. Supposed to be 11-12mm. Length is 22"

Bought from TPS.

Camera white balance seems off. I'll take some pics of my own when they arrive.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
They are absolutely beautiful! I am sure she will love them. Great size too. HB to your wife.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
They look great and a good size. Are these gem grade or AAA?

Does she already have earrings to go with these?
Think my only concern is the length... I have a strand in 22 inches and it can be a tad long for quite a few of my tops. Otherwise think is a great job! :appl:

AustinIsWeird

Rough_Rock
Yes, she has some earrings already. I debated the size for quite some time. Most of the necklaces that she buys are on the longer side, hence my decision. I am a total NOOB when it comes to pearls.

Based on my reading some older threads, I hesitate to post this, but I got the "so-called" AAAA grade from the pearl source. I know that this goes against the standard grading scheme. I saw a pretty nice 16" FW strand 11-12mm at a local jeweler. He could not get them extended easily, so I opted to source over the web.

Based on the other "disappointment" thread, I am very nervous to open the box. Should arrive on Monday.
I will think low expectations....and be amazed

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Much depends on build and height. I am 5'7" btw, and I tend to find 19-20 inches a good length for pearl strands. I asked about earrings cos it's hard to get matching ones in the right colour tone.

Don't worry and do let us know how you think when you get them. Sounds like you've done a fair bit of research. 8)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look lovely and are a very thoughtful gift. I hope your wife is thrilled with them. Happy Birthday to her and I hope you both have a lovely celebration.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Austin, I have purchased many strands of pearls, earrings , loose pearls and a ring from TPS. I haven't returned any of them. They have a 100% feedback on eBay and a great BBB rating. Looking forward to your review.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1376138847|3500207 said:
Austin, I have purchased many strands of pearls, earrings , loose pearls and a ring from TPS. I haven't returned any of them. They have a 100% feedback on eBay and a great BBB rating. Looking forward to your review.
I have seen NL strands from there and the are TDF plus NL is very, very picky ( say this in a loving way because she is my BFF) but all her pearls are held to a very high standard.

AustinIsWeird

Rough_Rock
NacreLover and 4RanchGirl,

Thanks! Helps me feel less stressed.

I wanted to get them early and let her open them early. My wife has an odd behavior in that she must "warm up" to things before she wears them... We are just starting to plan a trip to Paris and I'd like her to feel comfortable by then to actually wear them.

I felt badly not using the local jeweler. They did fantastic work putting her mom's solitaire into a gorgeous setting as a wedding ring.

Best Regards,

Dale

P.S. If you've never been to Austin, TX, their catch phrase has been "Keep Austin Weird" for some time, so I have been using a variation for on-line forums.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
This sounds like a wonderful present! The pearl size is terrific -- and you are right, it may take a little time for her to warm up to them. Many of us feel we have to "get to know" our pearls for a time after opening the box. I've gone to bed thinking I was returning a necklace and upon waking and seeing them again, realizing I would never part with them. Ah. Pearls.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1376191919|3500588 said:
This sounds like a wonderful present! The pearl size is terrific -- and you are right, it may take a little time for her to warm up to them. Many of us feel we have to "get to know" our pearls for a time after opening the box. I've gone to bed thinking I was returning a necklace and upon waking and seeing them again, realizing I would never part with them. Ah. Pearls.
Weeeeel when you return the pearl necklace in your avatar it will be coming home to me :naughty:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1376245463|3500848 said:
[quote="bsomlo|1376191919|3500588Weeeeel when you return the pearl necklace in your avatar it will be coming home to me :naughty:

LOL!

Dale, drop dead gorgeous choice! I love the length, too. Now that I am of a age to have a bit of wattleage, I am very touchy about having too-short necklaces that draw attention to it. A little bit longer is, imo, perfect. Of course, that is something we never, ever, talk about. :) Please let us know how she likes them.

AustinIsWeird

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Again, thanks to all who have posted.

The pearls arrived today. You asked for a "review" and I'll try even though I know very little about them.

1) Color - The pearls are all very similar in color
2) Roundness - very good. I measured some ovals, but that is splitting hairs.
3) Size - I measured 10.5-11.9mm for a 11-12mm strand. Should I complain ? About 1/4 were under 11mm
4) Surface - very few bumps, pits, blemishes. Much, much better than the strand I saw at the local jeweler
5) Lustre - seems quite nice
6) Clasp - OK, not the best, but OK
7) Measured 22" from tip of clasps - seems like they all measure that way.

Her old pearls are the small strand for comparison :)

dsc_5604.jpg
dsc_5605.jpg
dsc06859.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I think they look beautiful!!! I would not complain about the size.

blondie~

Rough_Rock
You are a terrific hubby. I think your purchase is lovely. Beautiful pearls. If me, if my husband did this, I'd tear up with joy. Happy birthday to her!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
They look amazing! I would not complain about the smaller sized pearls either. When she is wearing the strand I am sure no one will notice the slightly oval pearls or the blemishes...they are just going to notice those large and very lustrous pearls! Well done and I am sure she will treasure it :appl: :appl: :appl:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The colour looks great too (very white). Love the pearls. You did great. Pls let us know how your dear wife reacted to them. ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results