shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice re. Fancy Colours

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Hi,

So, I tried on some Tahitian studs at Macy's yesterday (just to get an idea of colour as they are the only Tahitians near me that I could see in person) and decided that the typical black green Tahitian is too dark for me. I'm more used to lighter, brighter jewellery.

What would blue Tahitian studs with a silver overtone be like? The pearl vendors' websites show images of one sample pearl in this colour, but it's not a lot to go on.

Alternatively, I was looking at the light blue akoya pearl studs on PP and AP. They are both AA quality, light blue with rose overtones, and cost about $200. What will these be like? Will the quality be OK, since they are quite cheap and only AA. I like as high a lustre as possible. (Well, don't we all!)

Thirdly, I looked at some of the dyed black pearls and thought they were surprisingly beautiful. There is another current thread here that talks about fw dyed black pearls, but it doesn't mention akoya dyed blacks.

In terms of appearance, what would be the difference between dyed black fw and dyed black akoya? Would the akoyas be more beautiful?

As you can tell, I feel like getting some coloured pearl studs in the light blue/silver/dark blue, maybe dyed black range but just don't know what to choose.

I'm fair with pale skin, blonde hair and blue eyes. That's why I thought silvery blue might suit better than the really dark pearls.

All color advice gratefully received!

N.B. I did see that someone had bought a set of the light blue akoyas from PP and I looked up the pics. The necklace looked amazing but I couldn't see the studs so well.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Here are photos of Vietnamese akoya strands with blue akoya earrings from PP. They have a pink overtone. I purchased the earrings to go with my baby blue baroque akoya strands I purchased a few years ago. I am a blonde with blue eyes but wear Tahitian pearls 90% of the time.

blueakoya.jpg

blueakoya2.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Wow, those pearls are GORGEOUS! And I love the earring colour :love: :love: :love: That's just about sold me on the blue akoya studs.

What do you think of blue body colour Tahitians with silver overtone? Are you familiar with what that looks like?

Thanks for posting your pics! :wavey:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Here are the Vietnamese akoya strands , baby blue akoya dangles with the two strands of baby blue baroque akoyas from PP. I got crazy and added 14K beads onto one of the strands because I only bought two strands and needed some length, but got carried away and liked it.
The close up of the earrings really shows the pink overtone that moves with the pearls.

dscf9667.jpg

dscf9664.jpg

dscf9663.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The only blue Tahitian pearl I have is this pendant. Shown with the baby blue baroque pearls and pistachio Tahitian pendant.

1792.jpg

1814.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
These are my everyday Tahitian pearls. I never get sick of them.

2072.jpg

naria

Shiny_Rock
Nacrelover, that strand is SOOO pretty. I love the green pearl especially. I find that I always fall in love with one pearl a little more than the others when it comes to multicolor strands. What size are they?

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
OMG NacreLover - they are heavenly. Where did you get your everyday strand from?

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
NacreLover, these are amazing! :love: you need to have your own collection thread!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
holy Crayola, Nacre, you have one to die for pearl collection! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, your pearls are stunning Nacre! :love: :love: :love:
Thank you so much for sharing pictures of your amazing collection!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I had a small collection, then I met 4ranchgirl. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: There are more......

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW NL - love all of the pictures and the ebay links that you posted. Will have to explore that seller's listings a bit more :Up_to_something:

Smith1942, I have a light silver blue tahitian strand from PP. Similar pearls would make great earrings and I'm sure PP will be able to find something in their inventory to your liking. Those blue akoyas are very pretty too.

pptahclose2.jpg

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Nacrleover your everyday tahitians are STUNNING :love: :love: :appl: :appl: as are all of your akoya pearls!

Baby Monster I am really loving your silver blue strand... it is simply beautiful :appl: :appl: :love: :love:

Smith 1942 Josh of Kamoka pearls has beautiful Tahitian studs on his online boutique. I am very fair with blond hair and just received these dark green peacock studs and they look AMAZING on!

screen_shot_2013-04-28_at_9.png

screen_shot_2013-05-02_at_10.png

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Baby Monster, Those silver blue pearl are fantastic. That MM size pearl look perfect on your neck. The color looks so beautiful next to the skin. I bet you reach for them often, or don't you ever take them off. :love: :love: :love: :love: How long have you had them?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful Kamoka studs LITGEEK. Are they your new go to earrings. I bet you get many compliments from friends when you wear them. Josh really came though with this color. I liked the other pair he sent you, but these are "The Bomb". :love: :love:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1367516402|3438866 said:
Beautiful Kamoka studs LITGEEK. Are they your new go to earrings. I bet you get many compliments from friends when you wear them. Josh really came though with this color. I liked the other pair he sent you, but these are "The Bomb". :love: :love:

Yes, Josh did come through in a BIG way! I have worn them every time I have gone out since they arrived :love: I think they make my whole face glow, but DH says that I am glowing because I am so in love with my earrings haha. I am so envious that you got to go through Josh's pearl stash at the ruckus! I will definitely be ordering more of his beautiful pearls from him in the near future.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Wow, everyone, thanks so much for your responses and your pictures! They're most helpful. What I've found is that the Tahitians are too dark for me, and the blue Tahitians perhaps a little greeny. I LOVE the blue akoyas! Baby-blue with pink overtones, mmmmm!

Thanks for the ebay links, but I can't buy anything on ebay. When I moved from the UK to the US and my bank account switched countries it totally messed up PayPal, who now seem to be convinced that I'm some sort of international criminal. I recently tried to sign up again after six years, but it still won't have me. Ah well. (I am sure there are a million ways to fix this if I made half a million phone calls and wrote letters submitting lots of documentation, but I really can't be bothered.)

Baby blue akoyas....mmmmm....

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I ordered a baby blue akoya opera length (36") strand and classic dangle earrings from PP and am awaiting their arrival...I have to agree that the bb akoyas are delicious :wink2:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Nacrelover has the most AMAZING collection of pearls!

Thanks so much for posting your shot of the blue Tahitians, Babymonster! They're lovely.

I think the baby blue akoyas are for me. Perhaps I'll start with ordering a pair of studs from PP, and then maybe see about a pearl solitaire pendant later on. I think the baby blues would look lovely on my mum. Perhaps I'll get her a pair for Christmas.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1367607616|3439749 said:
I ordered a baby blue akoya opera length (36") strand and classic dangle earrings from PP and am awaiting their arrival...I have to agree that the bb akoyas are delicious :wink2:

Ooooh, post them when you get them! Pretty please :love:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Smith1942|1367679840|3440233 said:
LitGeek|1367607616|3439749 said:

Ooooh, post them when you get them! Pretty please :love:

I definitely will :twirl:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NL, I've had this strand for couple of years. It does get a lot of wear :bigsmile:

Smith1942, your choice of blue akoyas sounds great. Can't wait to see the end result.

LitGeek, can't wait to see your pictures of 36" blue akoya strand!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
LitGeek, I can't wait until you do a review on your new blue akoya's.

alice87

Shiny_Rock
NacreLover|1367437380|3438364 said:
The only blue Tahitian pearl I have is this pendant. Shown with the baby blue baroque pearls and pistachio Tahitian pendant.
Nacrelover, you do have an amazing collection of pearls. I am wondering what kind of granulation chain (necklace?) is it? It looks beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results