shape
carat
color
clarity

Adding brooch to pearl strand

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
What kind of brooch/pin can be added to a strand of pearls, particularly a long strand that is wrapped multiple times?
Won't a brooch/pin scratch the pearls?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Some times I clip a brooch into my strands, sometimes I use a brooch converter. Depending on how your pinback is attached you might need more than one type of converter. Sometimes I restring my pearls and add the brooch converter or pendant into the strand.

broochconverrters.jpg

1822.jpg

neckbust1.jpg

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
What is a brooch converter and how did you attach that pretty pendant?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The pearl brooch is just opened and then placed over the two stand and closed up. The strands are graduated as you can see so the weight is all on the inner strand. The second cameo was added to the strand when I restrung it. I make things for an occasion and then tear them up when I want to wear them another way. The brooch converters are added to the pinback on your brooch to make it wearable on a chain , ribbon or add to a strand of pearls. You might need more than one type depending on how your pinback sits on your brooch.

For instance, the pearl brooch is off set so I would have to use the Horizontal converter If I was going to use it as a pendant.

This cameo in the photo is a pin only. I had my jeweler make me a custom pendant converter to fit the pinback. It easily slides on or off by opening the pin up.

cameo1.jpg

cameo2.jpg

cameo3.jpg

3228.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Some ladies take a rope or long strand , double or triple it and twist then add the brooch and close.

connect2.jpg

connect1.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thank you thank you thank you! i loved learning how you did both....and i especially like the design of attachment for the cameo pin.

i love this type of thing because i am such a klutz....would love to see more suggestions/ideas along these lines.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating! Never heard of brooch converters before.

I usually pin a brooch to the side to hold a layered rope in place so it doesn't slide up to choke me. I only have a couple of pins and they are on the smaller side and can fit up to 4 strands of smaller pearls.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover, thanks for sharing this. It's utterly fascinating and yet so simple if I were creative enough to think about it. I'm going to have to see my jeweller about making these brooch converters in sterling silver for both vertical and horizontal brooches.

Would it be possible for you to show us how you use the pearl clip from Pearl Paradise? Do you have your own take on how to use it?

Many thanks.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The pearl clip at Pearl Paradise may also be called a pearl shortener. There are many different styles. This is a antique style that is still available today. This safety pin style hides behind your collar and you just lay both strands over the pearl side , adjust to the length you need and close, the excess length hangs out of site . Helpful if you need to wear the pearls but your top isn't just right.

The pearl clip from PP is used with long strands/ ropes you want to make into a torsad like I showed you twisted with my brooch.
Double/ triple your rope twist and then loop the opened shortener though the loops and close. You can adjust the lenght of the strand by how many times you twist the strand.

pearlclip2.jpg

pearlclip.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.riogrande.com/Search/pearl-shortener

As you can see the are different sizes of these shorteners, as the have no idea what size pearls you are wearing. The last one on the list is a attachment that has to be strung onto your pearls. It creates Y necklaces or shortenes to the length you need with the excess hanging down your back out of sight.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1345200998|3252940 said:
http://www.riogrande.com/Search/pearl-shortener

As you can see the are different sizes of these shorteners, as the have no idea what size pearls you are wearing. The last one on the list is a attachment that has to be strung onto your pearls. It creates Y necklaces or shortenes to the length you need with the excess hanging down your back out of sight.

Thanks NacreLover. This picture shows how that last one on Riogrande's website is used.

img_3840trim3.jpg

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Nacrelover and HHPmom! I will have to try these "gadgets" out.

Nacrelover, forgot to mention earlier that I love the way you hung a necklace onto your cameo. Very cool and the lady in the cameo looks divine with her own diamond pendant. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results