shape
carat
color
clarity

A returnable offense?

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Pearl people-if your necklace arrived and the bullion at the clasp wasn't covering the silk (as in the clasp was resting directly on the silk) would that be a returnable offense? Does it compromise the integrity of the piece? It seems that the silk will wear much faster in direct contact without the protection of the wire.

Just curious what your reaction would be if a piece showed up like that.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
If you're piece was inexpensive and will cost more to return for repair, I would just keep it. That is the point where it is much more likely to break especially if the stringer only used one strand of silk. If the bullion /frenchwire/gimp is there, try scooting it around the U with your fingernail.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you.

It was not inexpensive. I've scooted the wire around but when I take the necklace off it's always separated again-like there just isn't enough of it. Even after spreading it out, the clasp ends up back on the bare silk.

I am well within the return window, and am wondering if I should address this or it's it fairly normal and not anything to worry about. I'm inclined to do something because my hair keeps getting caught in the open coils, making it uncomfortable to wear.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I would call the seller and show them the problem. They may pay a restringer in your area to repair the piece. I wouldn't like jewelry that pulls my hair.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it is very much of a risk to the thread. Probably the strand would need restringing for esthetic reasons (silk gets dirty, picks up skin oils, knots get loose etc.) before the thread would actually wear out at the clasp.

The fact that it catches your hair is another matter, and reason enough to either restring it yourself or send it back to the seller for restringing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results