shape
carat
color
clarity

7.5-8 or 8.5-9 Freshadamas?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Hi all:

I'm going to buy a strand of freshadamas, but am unsure of what size. 7.5-8 or 8.5-9 mm? I've googled all of the previous posts on this, but have not seen really good photos of 8.5-9 mm. I did go into the stores, but the pearls were just so gross that it wasn't very informative. I think I will be happy with either one quite frankly, so am not too stressed about this (especially as I'm Canadian and returns are a pain in the butt).

I have heard however that the larger sizes do not have as nice an orient as the smaller. I can partially confirm this as I have a small set of the metallic multicolors and a large strand of them as well, and the orient is better in the smaller. Any thoughts on which direction I should take? I'm 5'7' and 120 lbs with long thin neck and short hair, so the larger ones might be too large? :wavey:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
no, the larger ones will not be too large....the smaller ones may be to petite for you, though.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I'm a little shorter than you and about the same weight, and I wear 10-12mm pearls all the time. I like a presence for my pearls.

Go bigger, you're so tall, the small ones might be lost on you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the big Freshadamas. I own a couple of pairs of the Freshadamas and have also given them as gifts to my mom and sister and my vote is for the larger ones. They are gorgeous!!

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
If the budget allows go with the bigger, I've never had a customer contact me to exchange larger pearls for smaller ones. Plus as you age you will appreciate the larger size as well.

Go big or go home right :D

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Go big or go home LOL. Pretty much as I thought. I'd go for the next size up in a heartbeat (9.5-10 mm), but the price jump is too much for me. Just swinging the 8.5-9 mm is gonna be tough.
Thanks for your thoughts on this :bigsmile:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I would buy the larger MM pearls unless the price point is too high for your budget. I got a 11mm strand a few years ago and it is beautiful.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I have checked out her blogspot and seen the model, but thanks for the tip! She has some good advice doesn't she? I've been sent a pic of the smaller and larger strand, and the lustre is just a wee bit better on the smaller strand, which is apparently not uncommon. I think I will go for the larger strand however. It's been a devil of a time getting photos of different size pearls with a neck shot. I spend the weekend googling. If you have the time for a neckshot of yours, I'd sure appreciate it. :bigsmile:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry Begonia but I do not do neck shots. I do not want a picture of my 60 year old neck floating around in cyber space. You can see a few of my strands on a thread I started. I have been enjoying another strand of white ss that are not pictured on that thread. They are 10 to 11 mm slight ovals that look almost round especially with my bad eye sight. I do not wear my 7 mm akoyas that often any more.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thought-i-would-share.154025/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thought-i-would-share.154025/[/URL]

On the second page there is a close up of a triple strand of 5.5 to 6 mm AA+ from TPO that I had PP add clasps to. I have AAA from PP 100 inch 7 mm strand that is not pictured but I can not tell the difference between the two in the luster. The only difference I can see is that the AA+ are just slightly off round which you only see under very, very close inspection with a few pearls.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

As large as you can manage! Serioulsy--people admire large pearls. Love them.

cheers--Sharon

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the advice 4RG and canuk-gal (I'm also a canuk :). I am going for the larger ones. I did like the lustre on the smaller, but all sources are saying larger is better (wish I could swing the largest!). I would go for multiple strands, but finances, finances... but I think for one strand, I can't go wrong with the larger.

4RG you have some lovely stuff. I think I may know you from another site :naughty: I recognize some of those pieces!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Begonia do you post at the other sites too? My one of a kind pieces are recognizable The emperior has declined to reproduce them for others. I so enjoy wearing my pearls. I am glad you decided on the larger pearls but if you have not ordered yet you might want to wait until December. PP usually does a % discount if that is where you are ordering from. Several of the other internet companies offer discounts too just make sure you are on their mailing lists. Enjoy your new pearls when they arrive and give us a review.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Yes I do post on other places :bigsmile:. I started collecting pearls because of some of these forums!

Thanks for the tip about the discount, I didn't know about December sales. I am ordering from PP, and they have agreed to put it aside. I am also going to go for the 6.5 - 7.5 mm freshadama studs. I won't be wearing them together, or else would go the same size or larger. I've just always wanted a small set of pearl studs.

I'll do a pic as soon as I get them. Take care :) .

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia|1321137765|3060521 said:
Thanks for the advice 4RG and canuk-gal (I'm also a canuk :). I am going for the larger ones. I did like the lustre on the smaller, but all sources are saying larger is better (wish I could swing the largest!). I would go for multiple strands, but finances, finances... but I think for one strand, I can't go wrong with the larger.

4RG you have some lovely stuff. I think I may know you from another site :naughty: I recognize some of those pieces!

Cool! Let us see your pics when you are wearing them.....I feel inspired to get mine out--I wore them all summer and are now in hibernation.... :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Aaarghhhh. Pearls are on their way. I keep tracking them and they are just sitting in Richmond (BC), but have cleared customs (yaaaayy) and all I have to do is pay the taxes (not so yaaayy) when they get to my city. If they don't get a move on, I won't get them until Monday! :-o

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I agree. So much so in fact, that I went for the 8.5-9 mm's. I am still deciding if I will keep them. I'll try to post pics this weekend! Large pearls are, well, large if you are used to small pearls. I think I may have ordered them in too short a strand (16 inches), so I'm thinking of sending them back and lengthening to 18 inches. I think they look big and clonky when they are so close to my neck (Wilma Flintstone). Big pearls are a whole lot of fun though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results