shape
carat
color
clarity

4Rg inspired Kamoka bracelet

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Pattye finished my 4Ranch girl inspired bracelet and it looks fabulous ~ I can't wait to get it and start wearing it! I saw 4Ranch girl's wSS bracelet in her last PP chat video and have been dreaming of one ever since. I was going to go with SS pearls, but then had a change of heart and asked Josh/Kamoka to select some pearls to go with my SoC pearls. He came up with 5 lovely tahitians around 10mm. He handed them off to Pattye and this is what she designed for me :love:

screen_shot_2013-10-18_at_10.png

Pattye is quite talented! I especially love the little Kamoka keshis by the clasp. I think this bracelet along with my new wSS studs will be my "go-to" pieces.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
So pretty! We need a group pic when you get all of them.

Are white tahitians rare btw?
Do yours have overtones? Can't tell so we need more pics, LOL.

:appl:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
That is a great bracelet. What a super idea to go with Kamokas. I approve, of course.

icy_jade - there is one white Tahitian on my Kamoka harvest strand, and several more that are what I would call light silver in color. I'm thinking that LitGeek has light silver Kamokas, and I suspect there will be overtones. More pictures will be required, I agree. :cheeky:

kamoka2_5942.jpg

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Icy I believe these are light silver Tahitians and I am sure they will have lovely overtones since Josh picked them :wink2: I completely trust Josh, so I didn't ask him any questions about them :lol: It is the same when I buy from PP. I am hoping Pattye sees this post and comment on the pearls though.

Here is one of the photos Josh sent me :geek:

silver_kamoka_pearls_2.jpg

Fly Girl Oh I totally adore that white Tahitian on your Harvest strand :love: :love: :love:

NacreLover and 4Ranch girl were so helpful with their input on this bracelet. Poor Pattye, she has the patience of a saint :lol: I kept changing my mind on which pearls and which gold to use. I am happy that I took my time deciding though because I am so pleased with how it turned out :appl: :appl: :appl:

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'm delighted to report LitGeek's Kamoka bracelet is on the way to her as we speak, having just been hand delivered to the post office. You all will need to be patient just a few more days, though, as the interpretation of the pearls must be for LitGeek to share with us in her words; it's her story!

Josh chose these special Kamoka pearls, which are full of character and have depth and great beauty. :love: :love: :love: Light silver Tahitians like these are quite rare, and a very small part of a harvest, often keshi.

What an absolute pleasure collaborating with LitGeek on this project! :D

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Pattye|1382138714|3540364 said:
I'm delighted to report LitGeek's Kamoka bracelet is on the way to her as we speak, having just been hand delivered to the post office. You all will need to be patient just a few more days, though, as the interpretation of the pearls must be for LitGeek to share with us in her words; it's her story!

Josh chose these special Kamoka pearls, which are full of character and have depth and great beauty. :love: :love: :love: Light silver Tahitians like these are quite rare, and a very small part of a harvest, often keshi.

What an absolute pleasure collaborating with LitGeek on this project! :D

Thanks Pattye, you made the whole process so fun and I really enjoyed collaborating with you too :wavey: I am so excited to get and start wearing my beautiful new bracelet :love:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Great collaboration Josh, Pattye and Litgeek. I bet you reach for this timeless design often.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
It's an elegant design. Pearls are rare and beautiful. Enjoy it LitGeek!!!

What type of material is the finding? Is it 14K?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous bracelet! Looking forward to wrist pics!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@LitGeek: Did Josh give more photos? I do think that they have overtones. :appl:

Pattye said:
Light silver Tahitians like these are quite rare, and a very small part of a harvest, often keshi.

@Pattye: Oh, thanks for clarifying! Had no idea. Thought they are common cos I have so many white/silvers on the two Hinata strands (harvest + colour graduated). Umm... is there a good place to read about rarity/distribution of tahitian pearl colours? Just learnt from 4RG that blue bodies are rare, and natural chocolates too. Read before from PG that red bodies are uber rare. Think pearls with rainbow colours are really rare too. Any others?

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1382184318|3540592 said:
Great collaboration Josh, Pattye and Litgeek. I bet you reach for this timeless design often.

Thank you NL :wavey:

HHPmom|1382191236|3540616 said:
It's an elegant design. Pearls are rare and beautiful. Enjoy it LitGeek!!!

What type of material is the finding? Is it 14K?

Thanks! The findings are actually gold filled. Originally I wanted to go with 14k white gold, but we were having a difficult time finding chain that was a heavier link and not too thin like a tin-cup. This is why I kept going back and forth. Ultimately I went with 4Ranch girl's advice to use the gold filled chain because it had the look I was going for, would hold up to heavy wear, and because it was inexpensive I could have Pattye switch it out for 14k white if we come across exactly what I am looking for in the future. If we do find it, then I will recycle this chain for a gSS pearl bracelet.

marymm|1382199059|3540663 said:
Gorgeous bracelet! Looking forward to wrist pics!

Thanks, I hope to have it early next week :twirl:

icy_jade|1382204598|3540703 said:
@LitGeek: Did Josh give more photos? I do think that they have overtones. :appl:

He did send me two other photos, but the overtones were not very visible. That is the trouble with photographing light pearls, they are shy and hide from the camera :wink2: My overtones in my wSS pendant are being impossible...I think I need to order a light tent thingy. What size is yours?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1382223282|3540816 said:
He did send me two other photos, but the overtones were not very visible. That is the trouble with photographing light pearls, they are shy and hide from the camera :wink2: My overtones in my wSS pendant are being impossible...I think I need to order a light tent thingy. What size is yours?

@LitGeek: Just measured and they are 35cm x 35 cm (slightly less than 14 inches), but I'll advise you to get a bigger tent if you think you may want to photograph your pearls using a neck bust in the future. I think I'm gonna break out my bigger tent soon actually.

I find that the natural day light quality matters a lot. In the tropics the light tends to be fairly intense (and that washes out all the colours), so I try to go for mornings or evenings.

Yay, more eye candy! :appl: :naughty:

Pattye said:
IcyJade,

Tahitians are endlessly fascinating, that's for sure! Your Hinata strands are very lovely! The distribution of colors/rarity can vary somewhat from harvest to harvest and farm to farm, is how I understand it. Don't know of any one place to read specifically about this. PEARLS, by Elizabeth Strack, has in depth info about all aspects of pearl culture, including Tahitian.

Some of the most intense natural colors being produced today are from Justin Hunter, a marine biologist who farms in Fiji. His production is limited as the farm is still recovering from devastating hurricane damage of several years ago. I haven't seen his pearls in person. You can google to find his e-boutique and lots of interesting info.

More info about the sustainably produced, love and care of Kamoka Pearls here: http://www.kamokapearls.com/

@Pattye: Yes, the Fiji pearls have such interesting colours! Hv visited the e-boutique but prices are rather :shock: ... Such gorgeously saturated colours tho. Yums.

I only managed to find this paper with some info from the research: http://archimer.ifremer.fr/doc/00152/26310/24380.pdf
(see pp 138, section 3.3) From this it seems that it is possible to selectively breed oysters for specific colours. Think I read before that Jewelmer has been doing that (selective breeding) for its goldens to get more of the deeper goldens that are so highly desired in Asia.

Oh and some interesting nuggets of info (to me anyways!) from Andy Muller: :geek:
- Wrt his giant Tahitian pendants: "only large pearls of 5 – 5 ½ grams, with a diameter of 15 mm or more and top luster and color qualify. Such pearls are scarce. Only around 2500 pearls in decent quality that meet this criteria reach the global market each year, about 1000 in baroque shapes and 1500 rounds." [And I saw so many at the Fair! Yay!]
- Black South Sea pearls with the best greenish-black “peacock” color, stronger skin and good luster are from the Gambier archipelago to the south-south-east of Tahiti. Besides black, white and gold, there is a rare occurrence of brown or “chocolate” pearls.
From: http://www.ebaechtold.com/2012/how-scarce-are-south-sea-pearls/

@LitGeek: Sorry to threadjack!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
No worries icy, I find all of it fascinating :read: :geek: Thanks for the light tent tips :wavey:

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Icy Jade, Thank you so much for finding that research report, which I've printed out to study further.

Pearl farmers keep detailed records of their oysters throughout the whole cycle and no one is more invested in growing the healthiest oysters to produce high quality, lustrous, pearls. (Josh himself is a professional grafter.)

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I missed the delivery yesterday and was planning to go to my post office later this afternoon while I was going to be out, but I couldn't wait any longer and made a special trip down to the post office to pick up my bracelet :loopy: Pattye wrapped it up so nicely, it was like receiving a little present. When I opened the box I was speechless! Everything about this bracelet from the pearls to the design to those little keshis is absolutely perfect! Haha, Pattye found a vitamin bottle the size of my wrist in her cupboard to use as a model...she had to fit all five of my pearls and the two keshis and come up with a design that worked with my tiny wrist. She is a design genius because the fit is just right -- it has enough drape but is not too large -- and it is very comfortable to wear. I love how casual this bracelet can be worn, it really is the perfect everyday piece.

And the pearls...uhm the pearls are MAGNIFICENT :love: :love: :love: Josh (Kamoka) just amazes me with his pearls! The incredible luster, overtones, size, and shapes are all amazing. The center pearl is metallic and has this crazy oil slick like rainbow coloring that is GORGEOUS!

All in all, I am thrilled with my new bracelet and will enjoy ogling these pearls in different lights! Will try to get a wrist shot when I get some good light :wink2:

icy I will do a family photo when I get my light tent in the next couple of weeks :geek:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1382457712|3542310 said:
All in all, I am thrilled with my new bracelet and will enjoy ogling these pearls in different lights! Will try to get a wrist shot when I get some good light :wink2:

icy I will do a family photo when I get my light tent in the next couple of weeks :geek:

Haha, preempted!! Think wrist shots are hard cos how do you take photos with just one hand? :confused:

Anyways, stalking for pics!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
icy_jade|1382546747|3542956 said:
LitGeek|1382457712|3542310 said:

Haha, preempted!! Think wrist shots are hard cos how do you take photos with just one hand? :confused:

Anyways, stalking for pics!

Yes, I am finding the wrist shot very difficult to do :loopy: I can't seem to get a decent picture :cry:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
LitGeek, Could your Pearl Princess help as the photographer or wrist model? Looking forward to the photos too. :wavey: :appl: :naughty: :love: :wavey: :appl:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I was able to get a few photos while in the car yesterday...still they don't show just how gorgeous these Kamokas are :wink2:

t_bracelet_2.jpg

t_bracelet_1.jpg

t_bracelet_3.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful bracelet, LitGeek. Gorgeous pearls, and that pearl and gold chain is such an elegant look. Obviously it works with jeans and a sweater, too. I love those tiny Kamoka keshi at the clasp. I think I'd want some next to the center pearl as well. Heck, Kamoka keshi all around. :naughty: No, that is a stunning bracelet as is. Josh, Pattye, 4RG and you all did well. Enjoy wearing that beauty. :wavey:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1382748914|3544792 said:
Beautiful bracelet, LitGeek. Gorgeous pearls, and that pearl and gold chain is such an elegant look. Obviously it works with jeans and a sweater, too. I love those tiny Kamoka keshi at the clasp. I think I'd want some next to the center pearl as well. Heck, Kamoka keshi all around. :naughty: No, that is a stunning bracelet as is. Josh, Pattye, 4RG and you all did well. Enjoy wearing that beauty. :wavey:

Thanks :wavey: I love your idea of keshis all around :love: :love: :love: :love:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! You put up the photos on your wrist. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: The pearls look so big on your tiny wrist. They sure look great with your blue shirt and jeans. The MM of the chain is perfect with those pearls and doesn't look too small or too large.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1382795554|3545018 said:
WOW! You put up the photos on your wrist. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: The pearls look so big on your tiny wrist. They sure look great with your blue shirt and jeans. The MM of the chain is perfect with those pearls and doesn't look too small or too large.

Thanks NL :wavey: I was admiring 4Rg's darker Tahitian bracelet on the video, it is SO pretty! I think the darker Ts may be my next one :wink2: I really like the contrast of the yellow gold with the pearls. I put my platinum wedding ring next to the silver pearls and it just sort of looses something.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results