shape
carat
color
clarity

12 – 13mm Fresh Water vs. South Sea Pearl Necklace

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

maxspinel

Shiny_Rock
Yesterday was our 28th anniversary and we went to a Jewelry show to look at some south sea pearl necklaces. I saw a strand of very nice 17” platinum silver South Sea pearl necklace priced at $4500. The jeweler told me that it was old stock so the price was very reasonable. All the pearls are uniformly round and well matched with very light blemishes. I was very happy with the price but then I saw next to it a similar size but more creamy white necklace. Just for fun, I tried it on and it looked very good on me. I asked for the price and it was shockingly low at $800. The jeweler said it is fresh water pearl but with this size, it is still considered to be rare. Both of the strands are very lustrous but comparing the South Sea and the Fresh water side by side, you can definitely tell the difference. The South Sea is more whitish silver with a silky satin glow. The fresh water is a tiny bit less round and more cream white in color. It has a mirror like finish and pinkish overtone similar to Akoya pearls. The South Sea is calibrated 12.5 to 13 mm while the fresh water is 12.0 to 12.5 mm so the South Sea is a tag bigger.

I was so set on the South Sea but I asked my husband and my friends to pick which one they like more. None of them know the price difference or do they have any knowledge on pearls but unanimously they picked the fresh water pearl. They said they like the mirror surface glow and the pinkish overtone. I was very disappointed but I ended up buying the fresh water pearl since I can’t justify paying thousands more for something that the masses can’t see. After the sale, my husband asked if he had chosen the better one and I told him not according to the price but before he got mad, I quickly added that it is a better necklace for me since it fits my skin tone more.
19.gif

I am still a little bummed. I believe the South Sea Necklace that I missed was a very nice buy. Oh well, I do have a good looking necklace as an anniversary present. Once I take some pictures, I’ll try to upload them.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Max - I''m a nubie to pearls, but I''ve been doing a lot of reading lately, and my personal belief is that Chinese freshwater pearls are an awesome product and have a great price point. The size you got is on the large side for those pearls, and if the pearls look better on you, that is definitely the right choice. I just don''t see spending the $$$ for South Sea, but I''m coming at this without years of bias about that product. I''m sure they are beautiful, but I''d take that $3700 that you just saved and go buy myself another nice piece of jewelry.
2.gif

Happy 28th anniversary to your both!
36.gif

pearlie

Shiny_Rock
Hi Max -

the best pearl necklace for you is the one that glows when worn, and compliments your complexion.

Coming from years of experience in the pearl world, sounds to me like the south sea necklace, although having silvery coloring, had poor to fair luster. Old or new stock, south sea pearls of that size and shape with good to excellent luster would command a much higher price. Currently I have a strand of south sea baroques that I am asking over $4000 for. Yes they are baroque (tend not to be as valuable as rounds) but the luster is excellent, and that''s reflected in the price.

From your story it sounds as if your friends chose the freshwater piece based on luster. And $800 is a very good price for freshies of that size with a good luster.

Congratulations, you''ve done well. I don''t believe you missed out on a south sea bargain at all.

One day your south sea necklace will find you, and those pearls will take your breath away, make your mouth water and glow from across the room. Trust me on this.

julie.

maxspinel

Shiny_Rock
For round fresh water pearls, I’ve seen 9mm and 10 mm on some of the television shows and online vendors. I was surprised to see sizes larger than 12 mm in the show. In fact, the jeweler carried another strand that was 14 mm but some of the pearls are significantly less round. I tried it on and since I am relatively small, those large pearls look really funny and overhanging on my neck.

I''ve always wanted to own one nice strand of South Sea Pearl necklace. Somehow it just didn''t work out this time.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2009 8:10:53 PM
Author: pearlie
Hi Max -

the best pearl necklace for you is the one that glows when worn, and compliments your complexion.
well said. I bet the pearls you have looks wonderful on you, can''t wait to see them!

maxspinel

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/31/2009 8:10:53 PM
Author: pearlie

Coming from years of experience in the pearl world, sounds to me like the south sea necklace, although having silvery coloring, had poor to fair luster. Old or new stock, south sea pearls of that size and shape with good to excellent luster would command a much higher price. Currently I have a strand of south sea baroques that I am asking over $4000 for. Yes they are baroque (tend not to be as valuable as rounds) but the luster is excellent, and that''s reflected in the price.
I am a complete novice on pearls as I''ve always loved faceted sparkles. About a couple of years ago, I was shopping for a tennis diamond necklace and somehow the jeweler recommended me to try a strand of South Sea pearl. To my surprise, the pearls seemed to glow on me and it looked fabulous. A lot of other customers stopped by to compliment me. I didn''t buy the necklace at the time but I''ve always remembered it. In recent years, I''ve developed an acute allergy reaction to alloy gold especially for necklaces/pendants and I find myself drawn to the purity of the pearl.

From what I''ve read, luster of the pearl is the light reflection of the surface and an inner glow of the nacre but i just have trouble quantifying it based on visual inspection. I think you''re right that the South Sea Pearl that was priced at $4500 probably didn''t have a good luster; it is mostly likely the reason why my husband and my friends didn''t pick it. I recalled when the two necklaces were placed side by side, the attention was more drawn to the mirror surface of the fresh water pearl. I just thought it is because the South Sea has a more subtle satin surface finish.

I''m going to educate myself more on the pearls and who knows, might be one day I can find my dream South Sea pearl necklace with an unbeatable price.
36.gif

pearlie

Shiny_Rock
Good attitude, Max! That''s the pearling spirit!

Luster is one of the most important attributes of a pearl, and it takes years of practice to discern subtle differences in luster and therefor value.

Luster refers to not only the quality of light returned, but the quantity as well.

I commend you for going with the freshies, and for your willingness to wait for the perfect south sea necklace. May I suggest, continue to look at strands of pearls and build up in your mind''s eye the quality of light, the innter glow, of pearls.

julie.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I''m very new to pearls myself, but I''m wondering if the undertone also didn''t suit your skin tone. I just ordered a pair of South Sea pearl earrings with a rose, rather than silver undertone, to more suit my complexion. I love the silver look, but it ends up washing me out too much.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results