shape
carat
color
clarity

What will you do with your dress?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DMBFiredancer

Brilliant_Rock
I do not feel like I have any need to keep it. I certainly don''t want to pay to preserve it. Just curious what you ladies are doing with yours? I am wondering if there is any place I could donate or sell it?

DMBFiredancer

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 12:47:57 PM
Author: ficklefaye
this is where i plan on donating mine after the wedding: http://bridesagainstbreastcancer.org/

Do they sell the dresses there and donate the money to research? Or do they give them to patients? (trying to figure that out from the site - this seems like something I would like to possibly do)

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
I was planning on dry cleaning it and preserving it (which is really just putting in an acid free box). I can''t decide if I want to sell it or not now so I figured I may as well hold on to it for now and decide later.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 12:53:56 PM
Author: DMBFiredancer

this is where i plan on donating mine after the wedding: http://bridesagainstbreastcancer.org/

Do they sell the dresses there and donate the money to research? Or do they give them to patients? (trying to figure that out from the site - this seems like something I would like to possibly do)
they actually sell the dresses and use the money for research, they hold dress sales all over the country, i wanted to buy my dress from them but they weren''t coming to my city at the time

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to throw a white party in the next year or so, all my girlfriends will wear their dresses, we''ll serve only white beverages and foods, and get at least one more day of wear out of the dresses.

After that, who knows? Mine has been hanging up in an extra closet since our wedding over a year ago.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom has mine... don''t know what its status is right now...
3.gif

We don''t have room for it here. She wants me to keep it. After all we did with my dress, especially spending so much (for us, anyway) on it when we were planning to make it... she feels really strongly about me keeping it. Since I don''t feel strongly about it, I''ll go with what she wants (that tends to be my general rule).

For now it needs to stay with her because there is NO room for it (or anything else) in our tiny apartment!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I need to get mine cleaned and the bustles fixed so that I can turn it into a haloween costume. Bride zombie? Bride of Frankenstein? A butchered bride? I don''t know, but I''ll figure it out.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mines in getting dry-cleaned and preserved. I want to keep it as I hate the thought of selling it. I''d love to wear it again in the future, even if it''s to just do the ironing.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh I don''t know. I couldn''t bear to part with it. I think I will likely wear it around the house, and try it on from time to time to make sure it fits!!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 2:49:43 PM
Author: Haven
I''m going to throw a white party in the next year or so, all my girlfriends will wear their dresses, we''ll serve only white beverages and foods, and get at least one more day of wear out of the dresses.

After that, who knows? Mine has been hanging up in an extra closet since our wedding over a year ago.

That''s such a cute and fun idea!

Mine has been sitting in my mom''s house since the wedding. I think I''m going to clean and preserve it soon. I just can''t seem to sell it - it makes me sad to think about even though I know realistically I won''t wear it again.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking it would be fun to wear it again, but I paid to get it preserved so now I don''t really want to mess with it! So i''m not sure exactly what I''ll do with it in the future but for now it''s in a box under my bed, cleaned and restored.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Even though I have a long way to go I know what I will do. My dress is 2 pieces and the top is a lace ''shirt'' for lack of a better word. I am going to try to find a really nice black skirt and use it for black tie occasions or wear it on our anniversary if we do a fancy dinner. Not sure what I will do with the skirt. If I were not Jewish I love the idea that people have their dresses made into christening gowns, I think that is really special and a great family heirloom. Maybe I will look into having it made into a chuppah or something?

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is currently being cleaned and preserved, I LOVED my dress and I don''t think I can part with it. I am thinking about having a Christening gown made from it, but I will see how I feel about that when I actually have kids.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock

This sounds like a really cool idea. I would love to see some pics of this party
31.gif

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is at my parents house. Not sure what am I gonna do with the dress, so for now, I will keep it there
41.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had 2 gowns. One is at my parents'' house, and the other is hanging in a closet in my spare bedroom. I don''t know if I''ll keep both.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to get mine cleaned and then...probably keep it! I thought I would be able to sell it but I just don''t have it in me. Maybe after more of my friends get married I''ll steal Haven''s idea and do a wedding gown party! (It can''t be a white party because my dress is pink!
3.gif
)

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 1:44:58 PM

they actually sell the dresses and use the money for research, they hold dress sales all over the country, i wanted to buy my dress from them but they weren''t coming to my city at the time

I plan to donate my dress to them too. They actually use the money to grant wishes for women with stage 4 breast cancer which I think is really great. Kinda like a Make-A-Wish.

One of my best friends and her fiance are getting married today and it was kinda a last minute thing that they threw together. She didn''t have a dress and didn''t have much money to buy one so I offered to let her wear mine and she was really excited about it. So today she''ll be getting married in my dress! After that I plan to donate it to BABC.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I would have done BABC too, but the husband is oddly attached to my dress and won''t give it up. So now I have a white dress sitting there with no use. Hmph.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
I would do the christening dress thing, but we have an heirloom dress that 14 members of my family wore for their baptism (including myself), so that''s already taken care of.

My aunt suggested using the material to make a quilt, and I love that idea. No matter what, though, my dress is staying with me in some shape or form!

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/1/2009 11:20:26 AM
Author: PearlDahhhling
Date: 7/29/2009 1:44:58 PM

I plan to donate my dress to them too. They actually use the money to grant wishes for women with stage 4 breast cancer which I think is really great. Kinda like a Make-A-Wish.

One of my best friends and her fiance are getting married today and it was kinda a last minute thing that they threw together. She didn''t have a dress and didn''t have much money to buy one so I offered to let her wear mine and she was really excited about it. So today she''ll be getting married in my dress! After that I plan to donate it to BABC.
oh thank you for the clarification, pearl. that''s great that your dress will be used again even before BABC
1.gif

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 10:44:44 PM
Author: Miscka
Ugh I don''t know. I couldn''t bear to part with it. I think I will likely wear it around the house, and try it on from time to time to make sure it fits!!
i hope this isn''t rude, but i thought this was funny, i''m imagining a woman doing housework in a wedding gown
9.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/2/2009 10:31:19 AM
Date: 7/29/2009 10:44:44 PM

Author: Miscka

i hope this isn''t rude, but i thought this was funny, i''m imagining a woman doing housework in a wedding gown
9.gif

Ha! Not rude. I was mostly joking though
3.gif

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is under my bed! I read online that I didn''t need to have it have it preserved in the box and it would be fine wrapped up in a sheet in a plastic under the bed bin, so that''s EXACLTY where it is :). I did not feel any attachment to the dress, but when I mentioned to my parents that I was thinking of selling it, they seemed really sad. Since they paid for it (and I love them) I decided to hold onto it. I admit that on our first anniversary I put the dress on to make sure it still fit and a month ago I was showing my friend my veil and decided to wear it around the house a bit. I will probably put it on again this September just for fun!

honey22

Ideal_Rock

Such a great idea Haven! I would LOVE to be at that party!!!!!!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 5:26:18 PM
Author: bee*
Mines in getting dry-cleaned and preserved. I want to keep it as I hate the thought of selling it. I''d love to wear it again in the future, even if it''s to just do the ironing.

LOL, I love that! I might have to do the same.
9.gif

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
i sold mine on craigslist
1.gif
Depending on how our home buying goes, I''m going to put the money aside to either put in a savings account for our future kids weddings (in the WAY future) or use to buy a nice piece of jewelry that I can pass down. something a little more useful, but still meaningful.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock

Same here. I don''t know what to do with it, but I just can''t imagine parting with it.

My mom, on the other hand, had this crazy impulse to turn her own wedding dress into a skirt and a top, and to dye them purple, so she could wear it again. She wore it once to another wedding shortly after. Judging by the pics, it looked pretty cool (surprisingly) but she said that afterwards her skin had turned purple too.
9.gif
I don''t think she has taken it out of her closet ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results