shape
carat
color
clarity

what vacation plans have you got this year?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
definite:

Phoenix 1 week in February to visit a friend of mine, without DH
Ko Phi Phi, Thailand (where they filmed the movie THE BEACH) either in April/May with DH

likely:

California + Hawaii in September
South Africa for Christmas (to spend with DH''s family) and then maybe a week in the Seychelles. haven''t told DH yet about this plan, plus I have to check if Seychelles have nice weather in Dec.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh, so jealous, those sound like great trips.

San Diego for a weekend wedding in March

Lousiana in the spring to see DH''s fam

2 weeks all throughout CA (Napa, Sonoma, San Francisco, LA, San Diego...), the Grand Canyon, and Las Vegas with my fam to celebrate my Nana''s 80th.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Next month: Hopefully a quick 3 or 4 day getaway with DH before the new arrival. (Probably either Florida or NYC)

June: Week in Cape Cod for a wedding and relaxation
July: Week in So Cal to visit my sister

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
B_m - I love Las Vegas. do you know which hotel you''re staying at?

looks like so far California is a popular destination this year!

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
noelwr - I just came back from almost a month in Thailand. Amazing. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2010 11:29:49 AM
Author: noelwr
B_m - I love Las Vegas. do you know which hotel you''re staying at?

looks like so far California is a popular destination this year!
No clue, I''ve never been, and my grandmother is taking us all so we kind of just show up, plan day excursions on free days, and go along for the ride:) She has pretty good taste, so I bet it will be nice. DH and I are excited b/c it''s our first real vacation together (other than visiting famiyl for holidays and the occassional weekend trip, including our weekend honeymoon).
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
cammy - thanks! I''ve been to Thailand a few times (DH not), but never to Ko Phi Phi. did your travels take you there?

B_m - this is a bit expensive, but we did a helicopter tour into the grand canyon and it landed in a canyon and we had champagne lunch. it was so worth it. it was really beautiful. but also really hot!

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
noelwr - The only thing we really didn''t do seemingly was relax on the beaches around Kho Phi Phi or Phuket. There simply wasn''t time. Next time :) You said you''ve been to thailand before, is Kho Phi Phi one of your favorite beaches? (I''ve heard Phuket has gotten too touristy) Or will this be your first time there?

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
er, none. But I do have a date with dh tonight and I''m pretty sure most hotels don''t come equipped with fuzzy kitties to play with like we have at home
3.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
noelwr, DH and spent some time in Bo Phut and took a day trip into Kho Phi Phi. It was beautiful! (ETA: see photo below) DH and I both read the novel, The Beach, while we were there.
1.gif

This year, we've already spent a week in Mexico. We have a few weddings this year that are all destination (for us) so we have to see how any other vacation plans work out with that.

Kho Phi Phi CDN.jpg

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
We had several trips planned, but they are very much up in the air right now.

We have a group of friends that travel together somewhere once a year. We were planning to stay in the US this year and go to Las Vegas for a long weekend in April. We booked the trip last October, but we are playing that one by ear right now.

We''ve have my family reunion in San Diego in July, but we still haven''t RSVP''d as we won''t want to overcommit.

Internationally, we were really looking forward to taking our honeymoon on our one year anniversary, but I am honestly not holding out too much hope for that one since we don''t know where we will be financially this summer.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2010 12:09:44 PM
Author: Smurfyimproved
er, none. But I do have a date with dh tonight and I''m pretty sure most hotels don''t come equipped with fuzzy kitties to play with like we have at home
3.gif

whoa... if read the wrong way that sounds a bit naughty.
but really sweet that you''ve got a date with your DH!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
cammy - I''ve never been to Ko Phi Phi, but I''ve been to Phuket. I didn''t go to Patong, but all the way to a secluded place on the southern bit of the island and stayed at the Royal Yacht Club Hotel. it was heavenly.

CDN - beautiful pic! can''t wait. fabulous idea to read The Beach while there!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2010 12:36:21 PM
Author: noelwr
Date: 1/14/2010 12:09:44 PM

3.gif

whoa... if read the wrong way that sounds a bit naughty.

but really sweet that you''ve got a date with your DH!

Lol I didn''t intend it to sound naughty haha, I was referring to our 2 cats
3.gif

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Last year we spent a lot on vacations because we had just gotten married so a few months later we went to California for a couple days and then a couple months after that we took our (AMAZING) honeymoon to Hawaii. We decided because we spent so much last year on the vacations, this year would be a very toned down (think: *cheaper*) vacation year.

We went to Baltimore over New Years weekend for a little getaway (it''s driving distance from us, so pretty close, but it was nice to just get away for two or three days).

My father has been begging us to come with him to Israel for the last several years. I''ve been there, but DH hasn''t, and my father LOVES it there and has an apartment and house (he would love to move there but his medical practice is here and my stepmom and siblings don''t want to move yet). He has been asking us to come literally every week for the last several years, so we finally decided we''re going to go with him in the summer for a week-10 days. He goes with my stepmom and siblings to Israel for the month of August every year, so we''ll probably go mid-August to be there with them. Normally we wouldn''t be able to go because of the cost, but my father is very generously paying for our tickets to come because he wants us to come so badly. So hopefully that will work out!

Other than that, probably not much else. DH gets 18 vacation days, but 11 of them need to be used to take off for our Jewish holidays, so it doesn''t leave him with much ACTUAL vacation time. He did just realize he has two extra vacation days this year that he didn''t realize he had (that realization was the highlight of my week!) so we *might* be able to go somewhere else for around three days before I start grad school, but we don''t want to spend much money so maybe we would go to Las Vegas in June if we could get a really great/inexpensive deal. Otherwise, a stay-cation.
3.gif

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2010 12:51:37 PM
Author: Lilac
Last year we spent a lot on vacations because we had just gotten married so a few months later we went to California for a couple days and then a couple months after that we took our (AMAZING) honeymoon to Hawaii. We decided because we spent so much last year on the vacations, this year would be a very toned down (think: *cheaper*) vacation year.

We went to Baltimore over New Years weekend for a little getaway (it''s driving distance from us, so pretty close, but it was nice to just get away for two or three days).

My father has been begging us to come with him to Israel for the last several years. I''ve been there, but DH hasn''t, and my father LOVES it there and has an apartment and house (he would love to move there but his medical practice is here and my stepmom and siblings don''t want to move yet). He has been asking us to come literally every week for the last several years, so we finally decided we''re going to go with him in the summer for a week-10 days. He goes with my stepmom and siblings to Israel for the month of August every year, so we''ll probably go mid-August to be there with them. Normally we wouldn''t be able to go because of the cost, but my father is very generously paying for our tickets to come because he wants us to come so badly. So hopefully that will work out!

Other than that, probably not much else. DH gets 18 vacation days, but 11 of them need to be used to take off for our Jewish holidays, so it doesn''t leave him with much ACTUAL vacation time. He did just realize he has two extra vacation days this year that he didn''t realize he had (that realization was the highlight of my week!) so we *might* be able to go somewhere else for around three days before I start grad school, but we don''t want to spend much money so maybe we would go to Las Vegas in June if we could get a really great/inexpensive deal. Otherwise, a stay-cation.
3.gif
WOW Lilac! Israel sounds amazing! I can''t wiat to hear allabout it!
And you should be able to find great deals to Vegas (I AM SO DYING to go to VEGAS!)

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
My boss is leaving for Poland for 10 days tomorrow, I have a feeling he is going to freeze his butt off haha

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
We probably wont be taking any big vacations this year considering we are in the process of buying a house. But we are trying to a trip to San Francisco (my father lives there) and then Maui maybe end of the year or the next. i''ve been to Maui once and I''d LOVE to go back!!!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2010 3:01:43 PM
Author: rhbgirl24
We probably wont be taking any big vacations this year considering we are in the process of buying a house. But we are trying to a trip to San Francisco (my father lives there) and then Maui maybe end of the year or the next. i''ve been to Maui once and I''d LOVE to go back!!!

ditto :) We went to Oahu and stayed in Waikiki :) Here''s a picture of where we went snorkling at...not only did I snorkle for a full 30 minutes out of the allotted 2 hours (if you wondering why, it''s because all the fish brushing up against me totally freaked me out, i couldn''t handle it lol and most of my pictures underwater are just of my best friend at a safe distance away from me interacting with the fish lol)...I managed to fall asleep on my beach towel and get a severe sunburn, I couldn''t move much for 2 days haha. Also had bruises all over my stomach and hips from learning to surf so you can imagine I was pretty miserable but it was totally worth it (aside from the sunburn) and I would do it again in a minute
1.gif

o-06-hanauma-bay-wide-web-l.jpg

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
that''s a great photo! I''ve never been to Hawaii, but hope to make it there someday.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
None right now.

We''ve been taking a week for our anniversary in April, but unsure where we''ll go.

I have a good amount of vacation days, but end up spending about half of them going to the States to visit my family.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
We don't have anything definite yet. I'm usually a big planner, but since I'm unemployed, we're kind of hesitant to plan anything. Our friends usually take a tropical type vacation every year and rent a house, so I'd love to go with them if possible. The trip wouldn't be until November probably, so a lot could happen job-wise in that period. I guess I'm worried that I might get a job and then have no vacation time or something.

We really wanted to get a house in the Adirondacks with some college friends (would've only been $250 per person too, including a boat!) but nobody could go
7.gif
That would've been the perfect cheap vacation this year.

So for now, I'm concentrating on things that are coming up fast. We're supposed to visit SIL in Austin around March or April and I should really book our flights. I have 4 free tickets, so I just need to figure out what the restrictions are for travel dates, etc. We also discussed flying to LA to visit my best friend with the other 2 tickets, but I dunno ... It just seems so far away for a long weekend. And DH is complaining that he has no desire to visit LA
3.gif

eta: We also keep throwing around local weekend trip ideas (I'd especially love to do one for our first wedding anniversary in September), but we can never agree on location - Nantucket, Long Island wine country, Vermont, or Maine. Gah, those are a lot of choices. Lol. Nantucket is in the lead at the moment.

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll be heading down to the Bahamas in March for our annual girls and Kids trip for a week. FI may come down for a few days too!

In November we''ll be in Mexico for 8 nights for our wedding, then the following week we''ll go somewhere - place still TBD....maybe another island, or Florida, Vegas....not sure yet! We jsut started talking about that this morning.

I get 4 weeks vacation and 3 floaters, so I''ll have time for a few long weekends in the summer.

I wish I was in the Bahamas now....
6.gif
( I HATE THE COLD AND CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SILL DOING HERE IN THE NE!!!

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/14/2010 3:54:15 PM
Author: Pushin40
I''ll be heading down to the Bahamas in March for our annual girls and Kids trip for a week. FI may come down for a few days too!

In November we''ll be in Mexico for 8 nights for our wedding, then the following week we''ll go somewhere - place still TBD....maybe another island, or Florida, Vegas....not sure yet! We jsut started talking about that this morning.

I get 4 weeks vacation and 3 floaters, so I''ll have time for a few long weekends in the summer.

I wish I was in the Bahamas now....
6.gif
( I HATE THE COLD AND CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SILL DOING HERE IN THE NE!!!
Totally off topic, but the 13-year-old pre-pubescent boy inside of me took that out of context and just started giggling...

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2010 3:11:45 PM

ditto :) We went to Oahu and stayed in Waikiki :) Here''s a picture of where we went snorkling at...not only did I snorkle for a full 30 minutes out of the allotted 2 hours (if you wondering why, it''s because all the fish brushing up against me totally freaked me out, i couldn''t handle it lol and most of my pictures underwater are just of my best friend at a safe distance away from me interacting with the fish lol)...I managed to fall asleep on my beach towel and get a severe sunburn, I couldn''t move much for 2 days haha. Also had bruises all over my stomach and hips from learning to surf so you can imagine I was pretty miserable but it was totally worth it (aside from the sunburn) and I would do it again in a minute
1.gif
WOW - look at that place!
Smufy you must have some great memories (past the sunburn etc.!)
I was snokling in the Bahamas a few years ago and the captain of the boat thought it would be funny to start throwing bread in the water - at me - and there weer so many fish all around swarming me, it was like the water was boiling! OMG I was SO ANNOYED. Threw me in a total panic!

Not cool!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2010 4:38:13 PM
Date: 1/14/2010 3:11:45 PM

1.gif
WOW - look at that place!

Smufy you must have some great memories (past the sunburn etc.!)

I was snokling in the Bahamas a few years ago and the captain of the boat thought it would be funny to start throwing bread in the water - at me - and there weer so many fish all around swarming me, it was like the water was boiling! OMG I was SO ANNOYED. Threw me in a total panic!

Not cool!

Oh for sure, I went with my best friends in high school :) I thought it would be bad since my mom and older sister were chaperones but they ended up finding some friendly good looking sailors to chat with at the bar a lot of the time lol! Also we were competing against another band from Alaska (it was a nat''l band competition) and I still keep in touch with all of them, in fact one is a business contact of mine who animated graphics for grand theft auto and assassins creed 2
3.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2010 3:54:15 PM
In November we'll be in Mexico for 8 nights for our wedding, then the following week we'll go somewhere - place still TBD....maybe another island, or Florida, Vegas....not sure yet! We jsut started talking about that this morning.
Pushin40, where in Mexico are you having your wedding?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re definitely going to meet my sister and her FI somewhere between the states and Israel in May or June. We''re thinking Ireland, but we''re open to Spain or Italy. I''m *really* hoping we all agree on Ireland.

Other than that, my mom, sister, and I will probably go away for a short weekend when my sister is back in the states to visit in April.

That''s it for us, though, for this year.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don''t have any real big vacations coming up (we rarely do, come to think of it), but we''ve done a couple of smaller-scale vacations already.

1. Asheville, NC (to see the Biltmore House, which was gorgeous, especially since it was right after Christmas and the estate was still decorated)
2. Charleston, SC

We''re planning a weekend get-away to Wilmington, NC, for this weekend and I can''t wait. We may try to get to Savannah, GA, within the next few months too.

Other than that, I''m hoping to visit family and friends at home in New England, either this spring or over the summer.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
no trips scheduled yet, but since DH is starting a new job next month with less vacation days, we aren''t quite sure what will pan out yet.

we really want to go to hawaii this year (thinking october for our anniversary), or possibly italy. and we already plan on doing vegas again with some friends for a weekend in april.

either way, our "big" vacation won''t be until later in the year, and might hinge on whether or not i''m KTFU!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results