shape
carat
color
clarity

Just for fun - Cake 1 year later?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Ok, so I LOOOVED our wedding cake, and as of right now it''s sitting in the freezer waiting for our first anniversary. I know it won''t taste the same, but I think it''ll be so much fun (considering I only got two bites at my own wedding!)

Did you keep your cake for your first anniversary, eat it as soon as your could after the wedding, or not keep any cake at all?

Sorry, my sweet tooth is getting the best of me right now, and I love me some wedding cake!
18.gif

cakeny

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to! BUt we were leaving straight for our honeymoon the next day and also we don''t live in the city where we got married (anymore) so we couldn''t ask friends or family to hold on to the top for us
7.gif

I think it''s a cute tradition. Good luck with any stomach issues :)

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
We wanted to, but it somehow got lost en route to our house. I think he ate it.
3.gif

Luckily the bakery where we got our cake is close-by, so we just had a cake made in the same flavors for our first anniversary. We plan to do the same thing this year...any excuse to buy a cake is a-ok with me!

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 4:52:15 PM
Author: cakeny
I wanted to! BUt we were leaving straight for our honeymoon the next day and also we don''t live in the city where we got married (anymore) so we couldn''t ask friends or family to hold on to the top for us
7.gif

I think it''s a cute tradition. Good luck with any stomach issues :)

Thanks, I''ll make sure to keep the pepto nearby.

Ours is kind of a funny story. We got married half way across the country from where we live now, and the cake is from a local bakery in my hometown where we got married (reasonable prices and delicious cake, win win) So my parents actually took the top of the cake for us and held onto it for us while we were on our honeymoon and for about the first month after we went back to our house. My parents made a trek out to visit us via U-Haul and brought our cake topper out in a cooler with Dry Ice! It has now been safely transferred to my In-Law''s freezer for the time-being.

This poor little cake has traveled over 600 miles to be eaten in a year. Even if it doesn''t taste great, it''s a great story for us :)

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 4:59:35 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
We wanted to, but it somehow got lost en route to our house. I think he ate it.
3.gif

Luckily the bakery where we got our cake is close-by, so we just had a cake made in the same flavors for our first anniversary. We plan to do the same thing this year...any excuse to buy a cake is a-ok with me!
Did he have the crumbs on his chin as he was shaking his head "no?" hehe

I would love to be able to get the cake where I live every year, but I think it will be enough whenever we visit my parents to go pick one up. We had their cake for our engagement (my parents suprised us!), our wedding and when my parents came to visit afterwards. I don''t know what I''ll do if they ever go out of business! All my big moments are tied in with their cake!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I saved the top of our cake - it''s in our freezer taking up WAY too much space
3.gif
I didn''t even get to taste it at our wedding so I have no idea whether or not it was even good the first time! I think DH and I will taste it on our one year anniversary but throw out most of it... I can''t imagine eating a whole piece that''s a year old. We do have the cake topper and that''s the kind of thing I would like to save.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
we did and it was yummy!

however, if i were to do it again, i''d slice it into 12 pieces and eat a slice each month for a whole year after our wedding.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
We actually have the top layer and the next layer left. Our cake bakers created a cake with the appropriate number of normal-sized slices, but the restaurant served TINY, wedding-sized slices. Anyway, both layers are in my parents'' freezer -- and while my mom is happy to keep the top until next summer, she wants us to take the other (much bigger) layer out of her freezer ASAP.

I guess we should have some kind of cake-eating party? It''s certainly not going to fit in our freezer.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 5:18:18 PM
Author: TheBigT
We actually have the top layer and the next layer left. Our cake bakers created a cake with the appropriate number of normal-sized slices, but the restaurant served TINY, wedding-sized slices. Anyway, both layers are in my parents'' freezer -- and while my mom is happy to keep the top until next summer, she wants us to take the other (much bigger) layer out of her freezer ASAP.

I guess we should have some kind of cake-eating party? It''s certainly not going to fit in our freezer.

I''ll Help! hehe

18.gif
YUM!

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 5:22:23 PM
Author: cammy85
Date: 7/20/2009 5:18:18 PM

Author: TheBigT

I''ll Help! hehe

18.gif
YUM!

Come on over! If I cut "wedding-sized" slices we''ll need like 50 people.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 5:09:58 PM
Author: jcrow
we did and it was yummy!

however, if i were to do it again, i''d slice it into 12 pieces and eat a slice each month for a whole year after our wedding.

Cute idea!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
We ate our cake topper for breakfast the day after the wedding
3.gif
no, not by ourselves, we shared it with our friends and fam that were staying on-site with us. Our cake was a huge hit, so we were smart to have gotten way more than we needed (to serve 95-100 when we had ~65 guests), most people had more than one piece but there was still a bunch left over.

Our baker gives all clients another cake topper for their first anniversary, for free!
36.gif
So we didn't have to do the freezing thing. Otherwise we would have for sure.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
The lady who made our cake also made a very tiny matching cake for us, to save for our one year anniversary...it had its own little ''freezer box'' and was made from the same batter and frosting as our wedding cake and said "Happy First Anniversary" with our names on it...it was really cute and a fun thing to do, however, it tasted much better on our wedding day!
21.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 6:39:04 PM
Author: musey

Our baker gives all clients another cake topper for their first anniversary, for free!
36.gif
So we didn''t have to do the freezing thing. Otherwise we would have for sure.
Our baker does the same thing! I was so pleased to hear this--that meant I could eat all the leftover cake right away.

BTW, I will totally join in anyone''s cake-eating party. Cake is the best!

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
We still have on layer of our cake and yes, it calls my name at least once a month when the red army comes to town... I have had to move it to my MIL''s freezer on two occasions already
38.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My parent''s wedding cake is still in the freezer at my dad''s house. That is 32.5 years after it was first eaten.

I went to throw it out once, and my mom almost kicked my booty.

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
I still have no idea what happened to our cake as we left the reception slightly before it ended so we could have 'farewell' pics and stuff with our guests. Since we only had flowers as the topper, I guess it's not too sad that they're gone, but it might've been nice to have kept them?! Kinda like my bouquet (which isn't in very good shape). Anyway, we probably wouldn't have wanted to save the top layer anyway. We went with a bakery that gave us a really good deal, but we loved ANOTHER bakeries cakes better...they were just way too expensive. So we made a deal with each other that for our first year anniversary, we'd get a mini cake made in the flavors we WOULD'VE wanted for our wedding cake, if we could've afforded it. :) And, it also lets us give both places our business. Plus, it's a fresh cake. So, I think it's a win-win all the way around! :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I planned on it.

However, I came home one evening shortly after our honeymoon to find DH crouched over the cake box, fork in hand, rapidly scooping giant chunks of cake into his mouth.

Apparently, he had never heard of the tradition, so that was the end of that.

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 2:50:01 AM
Author: Haven
I planned on it.

However, I came home one evening shortly after our honeymoon to find DH crouched over the cake box, fork in hand, rapidly scooping giant chunks of cake into his mouth.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! Oh my gosh!! I''m sorry, Haven!! Were you upset? Or did you think it was funny? Did he apologize? Maybe he''ll make it up to you??!! :)

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 8:28:34 PM
Author: FrekeChild
My parent's wedding cake is still in the freezer at my dad's house. That is 32.5 years after it was first eaten.

WOW! That's crazy!! (And kinda freaky...reminds me of that old movie. Um...I can't think of what it's called. Where the woman leaves the cake in the room for YEARS...I think Gwenneth Paltrow was in the remake. Anyone know what I'm talking about?! :-\ I'll try to look it up and redeem myself, here. LOL)

ETA: Okay!! I found it!! Great Expectations. I'm sure it's not in the remake, as that looks TOTALLY different from the original synopsis. But anyway, I don't remember ANYTHING about that movie (we had to watch it in english class in school) EXCEPT for the rotting cake and the fact that it'd been the room (a dining room, or something?) for years, untouched!! I have NO IDEA why it was there, I just remembered it freaking me out. LOL

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 2:50:43 AM
Author: newsboysgrl777
I planned on it.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! Oh my gosh!! I''m sorry, Haven!! Were you upset? Or did you think it was funny? Did he apologize? Maybe he''ll make it up to you??!! :)

I wasn''t upset, I was amused. It was a pretty funny sight--the box all splayed out, icing falling in big globs from the fork, DH''s eyes glazed over from the impending sugar coma.

When I told him about the tradition he stopped and said "Oh, sh*t . . . Well, can I just finish it now since I''m almost done, anyway?"

His sweet tooth knows no bounds.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
We ate ours during the following week. Our wedding planner said don''t save it for a year, it would be gross. Who knows.... but we couldn''t wait it was too tasty!

I''d love to get another cake topper for our one year anniversary but there''s a min. $350 cake order with our baker.
7.gif

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 8:28:34 PM
Author: FrekeChild
My parent''s wedding cake is still in the freezer at my dad''s house. That is 32.5 years after it was first eaten.

I''m hoping I''m not going to be that sentimental about our cake. I mean, it is the last remainder of things around from the wedding day (minus one of our favors my parents still have!), but still. It''s made to be eaten!

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
oh my gosh Haven! That''s hysterical. I can only imagine the scene. That''s why i''m glad ours is stored safely away in the in-law''s freezer...howeverrrr... I guess I hadn''t thought of keeping them out of it, they loved the cake too! Maybe I should make sure it hasn''t mysteriously disappeared?
28.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 2:56:23 AM

I planned on it.

I wasn''t upset, I was amused. It was a pretty funny sight--the box all splayed out, icing falling in big globs from the fork, DH''s eyes glazed over from the impending sugar coma.

When I told him about the tradition he stopped and said ''Oh, sh*t . . . Well, can I just finish it now since I''m almost done, anyway?''

rotflmao2.gif
That is CLASSIC!!!

We didn''t have a cake, so it''s a moot point.

I do make Macadamia Nut pancakes on our anniversary though, since we ate them almost every day on our honeymoon, and that''s what I had for breakfast day of the wedding.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 8:40:45 AM
Author: geckodani

Date: 7/21/2009 2:56:23 AM

I planned on it.

When I told him about the tradition he stopped and said ''Oh, sh*t . . . Well, can I just finish it now since I''m almost done, anyway?''

rotflmao2.gif
That is CLASSIC!!!

I do make Macadamia Nut pancakes on our anniversary though, since we ate them almost every day on our honeymoon, and that''s what I had for breakfast day of the wedding.
You might be needin'' to share that recipe! That sounds amazing. Hawaii honeymoon?

Minor threadjack: That was our second choice and now I really really want to go to hawaii!! Second honeymoon anyone?
End Threadjack

Now back to your regularly scheduled forum.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 8:48:31 AM
Author: cammy85

Date: 7/21/2009 8:40:45 AM
Author: geckodani

rotflmao2.gif
That is CLASSIC!!!

You might be needin'' to share that recipe! That sounds amazing. Hawaii honeymoon?

Minor threadjack: That was our second choice and now I really really want to go to hawaii!! Second honeymoon anyone?
End Threadjack

Now back to your regularly scheduled forum.
We got married on Maui and honeymooned there as well. It was FABULOUS! Since we did a Luaua as our reception (I literally booked 30 seats at a Luaua and we went and partied it up) I decided cake was not necessary.

For the pancakes - just crush up a bunch of macadamia nuts (plastic bag and meat tenderizer works well) add them to pancake mix and make as usual. I also order coconut syrup from Amazon.com.
18.gif

31eIc-eLnwL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Ate the bottom tier (a light nutty fruit cake) at the wedding, kept the top in the freezer for our first anniversary...
it was absolutely delicious!!!
made me a fruit cake convert, actually, I learned to cook my own fruit (and nut) cakes shortly thereafter.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Our bakery gives you a small cake in your flavor for your 1st anniversary - you just have to call them the week before and let them know you''ll be coming in to get your cake! So we ate ours during the week after the wedding. We tend to stock our freezer to the max with meat, and that cake box would have taken up way too much room, anyway.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
geko, you are talking my language. Coconut syrup? How did I not know about this?!

I''m trying really hard to perfect a decent vanilla pound cake recipe, because after we eat our cake, unless we travel half way across the country or my parents bring it, we aren''t getting it again! One of the problems of getting married where you don''t live! We had a delcious yellow pound cake with fabulous buttercream frosting. It was simple, but it was us. It was a palatte pleaser for sure, everyone loved it.

Now I am off to try and make the best copy of it that I can. I''ve tried one pound cake recipe and have to make some adjustments, but it was ok. And buttercream scares me.

All this to have cake over and over again.
18.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results