shape
carat
color
clarity

How long are you considered a "newleywed"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

April20

Ideal_Rock
We''ve been married for a little over 2 years. Someone recently asked us how long we''ve been married and when I responded they said, "Oh, you''re still newleyweds". I had always thought that under 1 year was considered newleywed. I''m surprised I''m still getting this response after 2 years. I think that if the person asking me has been married a considerable amount of time (30, 40, 50 years), then sure, 2 years is newleywed in comparison. But the gal that made this comment to me has been married less than 10 I think, so I find her response interesting.

So what do you think? How long will you consider yourself a newleywed?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I think I''ll consider ourselves newlyweds until we''re 30 or have kids - whichever comes first.

My first friend to get married has been married for 4 years now, and I''m just now stopping thinking of them as newlyweds.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 1:13:58 PM
Author: Elmorton
I think I'll consider ourselves newlyweds until we're 30 or have kids - whichever comes first.

My first friend to get married has been married for 4 years now, and I'm just now stopping thinking of them as newlyweds.
Totally agree with Elmorton on this--I think the newlywed feeling will start to rub off when we have kids (which, if we magically get pregnant on schedule, will be right at the 30-year mark).

I've been with D for a decade, we're celebrating our 2nd anniversary in September and I still feel like a newlywed. We're starting to house-hunt and plan for a family, so I think that sort of feeds into the newlywed feeling for me. Though I hope we always feel like newlyweds, it's nice!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whenever someone notices my rings, they ask how long I''ve been married... and I stopped getting the "wow! newlyweds!" comment after about 8 months. Dunno if that means anything at all, but I haven''t heard the word "newlyweds!" in response since we crossed that mark.

I don''t know if I feel like a newlywed. I don''t know what that feels like! It doesn''t feel exciting and new the way it did the first 2 or 3 months, but I don''t feel super settled and established... though we''re getting pretty close to that feeling, I think!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I think I will consider us newlyweds until we have kids...so with our planning we will be newlyweds for 4 years! I stopped getting the newlywed comment since we just celebrated our first year anniversary.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm.... I''ve never thought of it in context with having children. We''re not planning to have any, so it''s not a marker for me. I think that once you feel you''ve adjusted to life as a married couple, the "new" wears off. For me, it almost feels like we''ve been this way forever and it''s almost hard to remember the fiercely independent life I had before. That to me equals not being a newlywed.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is a newlywed supposed to feel any different? We don''t. We''ve been married one year and when others find out, they comment on our newlywed status. I''m not sure how long that will last. I guess I feel like if it has a time frame, "newlywed" would mean up to 2 years after getting married.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always thought that you''re considered a newlywed for up to a year. I''ve found it strange when people say to me that I''m a newlywed as I''ve been with D for so long that it''s weird to be celebrating our relationship as something new again.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Until you''re pregnant...
2.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
The etiquette gurus say that one is a newlywed for their first two years of marriage.

I dunno, though - I just celebrated my 5th anniversary and I still feel like a newlywed in many ways.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 9:43:35 PM
Author: Allison D.
The etiquette gurus say that one is a newlywed for their first two years of marriage.

I dunno, though - I just celebrated my 5th anniversary and I still feel like a newlywed in many ways.

Ooohhh, do I get a prize?!
9.gif

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I will think 2 years, I just crossed 1 year and I stil feel like newleywed
9.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just asked hubs last night out of curiosity, he doesn''t really feel like a newlywed either. I don''t think we''re the "exciting and new" types
9.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2009 3:01:31 PM
Author: musey
I just asked hubs last night out of curiosity, he doesn''t really feel like a newlywed either. I don''t think we''re the ''exciting and new'' types
9.gif

D and I are the same! I don''t feel like a newlywed at all and I just asked D does he and he said No.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results