shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite/Least Favorite House Chore

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
So...I am just curious if anyone else likes or detests house chores as much as I do.

My favorite chore now a days is cooking! This is very surprising, because I was always a take-out and reservations kind of girl, but I've actually become really good at it! I like playing with the recipes and trying new dishes.

I REALLY, REALLY want to blow up our kitchen sink! I can't stand washing dishes! And no matter how much I wash, there are always more! UGH!

I also could benefit from someone inventing a robot that would sort all the socks for me. Maybe someone can come up with a sock genie that you throw all the socks into and reach back in to pull out perfectly sorted/matched pairs!

Can you tell I should go get a job now? :Up_to_something:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Aren't socks the worst? For some reason my husband likes matching socks so when we do the laundry I hang things up and he matches socks.

I also enjoy cooking. I'd say it's one of my favorite chores. For some reason I also like steaming our floors. I like getting all the grime off and I like the smell of the steam. For a minute I can't remember if I'm at the spa or doing chores.

My least favorite chore is probably going to the grocery store. I go early in the morning on the weekends, which helps (hardly anybody is there), but I just hate having to plan meals for the week, going through the list 100 times to make sure I didn't forget anything, putting all the groceries away, etc.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Favorite: laundry or cleaning bathrooms (I'm such a weirdo)
Lease Favorite: vacuuming, dusting, cooking, washing dishes, taking out the garbage, keeping my clothes and shoes tidy, unpacking after vacation, paying bills

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Favorite: Vacuuming! I have an awesome vacuum (Miele canister vac) and it is so satisfying to suck up all the kitty fur tumbleweeds.

Least Favorite: Litter box! It doesn't gross me out (my husband gags if he does it so it will always be my chore) but it's just nowhere near as satisfying as basically any other chore.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
FAVE: wiping down counters & tables. I don't know why ... I just like gleaming, clutter-free surfaces!

LEAST FAVE: two words -- LITTER. BOX. Yucko! Say no more? Okay. Okay.

Though I also really, really hate folding clothes & putting them away. Sorting the dirty stuff -- no problem. Hauling stuff up & down the rickety basement steps. A-ok. Pulling the clumps of wet clean stuff into the contraption that dries them. Aces. But, somehow, drawers and hangers etc = my nemesis. Right now a chair full of cleanies is fully visible. Mocking me. Daring me. "What's up, B****?" Oh how I hate you, Mel Gibson Pile O' Tangled Tshirts. Octopus of Inside Out Jeans. Don't shed your foul dandruff of balled up, still moist socks at ME!

And then we live out of that pile for a week. FIN!

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I really enjoy cooking, so I dont consider that a chore , but I guess that would be my favorite, followed by vacuuming. I love my dyson. :love:

I HATE with a passion cleaning the toilet, followed by cleaning our hardwood floors (has to be done constantly with our dogs, ugh.)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lease favorite cleaning up the kitchen after DH has cooked.

Most favorite vacuuming.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never considered cooking a chore because I love to do that, so that would be my favorite.

I HATE folding laundry. HATE IT. I don't mind washing the clothes, but I hate folding them. I'm really bad during the summer and I often leave clean clothes in the laundry basket for a very long time.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thats funny, I love doing laundry! I find it very soothing to fold or sort laundry and my family can tell if I am stressed because I will run around looking for laundry to do even if it does not need it. I do not like the cat box or cleaning the kitchen/cooking. yuck

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Least favourite - unloading the dishwasher. I cannot think of a more pointless, less fulfilling task - all you have to show for it is an empty couple of racks, no clean surfaces, no nice-smelling clothes..

I actually really enjoy vacumming, there's something incredibly satisfying about seeing all the dirt well up in the canister!

ETA: actually, least favourite - reorganising my wardrobe :knockout:

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love to cook, that's not a chore for me...

Favorite: mopping, scrubbing floors and such (I like to see results immediately), cleaning our stainless appliances

Least favorite: Laundry, loading and unloading the dishwasher, vacuuming, LITTER BOX! Boy, I'm going to miss being pregnant for the lack of litter box duties alone...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Decogirl said:
Thats funny, I love doing laundry! I find it very soothing to fold or sort laundry and my family can tell if I am stressed because I will run around looking for laundry to do even if it does not need it. I do not like the cat box or cleaning the kitchen/cooking. yuck
I have an idea, Decogirl--we can switch chores. I'll cook and clean and you do the laundry. Everyone's happy. We'd make a great pair!

Rose_Dust

Shiny_Rock
I'm not a newlywed or even engaged but I had to chime in on this, too good to pass up.

Favorite- ironing and folding clothes. I iron just about everything, while watching my favorite shows! Dusting too, its easy to do if you're just walking around the house anyway, might as well carry the duster too. Great for when talking on the phone to friends or family.

Least favorite- putting away the clothes, emptying the dishwasher, or taking out the trash. Luckily my BF does those for me, such a sweet guy!

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, everyone! It's always interesting to see everyone else's point of view.

I really like steaming our clean clothes, but don't like to iron...I am such a bevy of contradictions! I also don't think I could ever own a cat, because of the litterbox. It feels too much like I would be the cat's companion and not the other way around.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I have a slight thread jack--where do you all put your clean clothes when they come out of the dryer? Do you leave them in the hamper? Leave them in the laundry room?

My mom always put hers on the bed because she said it forced her to put all the clothes away. I do this as well (habit, I guess).

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Favorite: Folding laundry. I can do it while watching TV or listening to music or even talking on the phone, so I don't mind it because I can be distracted while doing it.

Least Favorite: Washing dishes. I hate that so so *so* much. Now DH is the one who does that. I don't mind cooking, cleaning, or doing the laundry, but I absolutely HATE washing dishes so he does that. I also hate unpacking after going away, so much so that sometimes my suitcases sit on the floor for days until I finally bring myself to unpack them. I think a big reason for that is my lack of adequate closet and drawer space, so I always feel like I don't have enough room to unpack everything! Hopefully one day in a house we'll have more space and the unpacking won't be so intimidating. :praise:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady said:
I have a slight thread jack--where do you all put your clean clothes when they come out of the dryer? Do you leave them in the hamper? Leave them in the laundry room?

My mom always put hers on the bed because she said it forced her to put all the clothes away. I do this as well (habit, I guess).
I put the clean clothes on the bed. Then I leave them there and when DH goes in to get ready for bed he puts them back in the basket, where they stay until I am forced to put them away for want of another laundry basket. I really hate folding laundry and putting it away. Oddly enough, I like folding towels and linens and putting them in my lovely linen closet. It's the clothes that get me.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
NewEnglandLady said:

I leave them in the hampers until someone needs something at which point I steam it so that none of us are walking around with wrinkled clothes.... sigh... :(

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favorite chore is probably cleaning the kitchen. More specifically, cleaning the counters. I don't like things having things out in the open in the kitchen, and it feels great to put things away and then wipe the counters clean with a strong smelling cleaner. For some reason, using strong cleaners makes me think the counters are super duper clean. In reality, I'm probably harming my lungs.

My least favorite chore is probably vacuuming. I feel like I SHOULD like it because we have a Dyson and it does work great, but I just don't like vacuuming. It's heavy, and I hate winding the cord back up when I'm done. What can I say? I'm lazy. I also hate emptying the canister -- dusty stuff in there!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have another chore I don't like: washing the floors. I despise doing this. I do it but I don't like it. Here's why:

So you fill a bucket with soapy water, then mop the floor. While you're doing this, you're putting the dirty mop in the bucket, wringing it out, then swishing the [dirty] mop all over the floor over and over again. Are you really getting the floor clean?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady said:

I should have read the whole thread before posting three times in a row...

NEL -- I don't put any of my clothes in the dryer (well except for underwear and our towels and sheets). I hang my clothes on drying racks because I'm paranoid about them shrinking. Anyway...I hate putting my clothes away but since I leave the racks right in front of my closet, I don't really have a choice. Towels, sheets -- those tend to stay in the basket until we get around to putting them in the linen closet.

Ironing reminds me of my mom. She sets aside an afternoon every once in a while and irons basket upon basket of my parents' clothes while watching As the World Turns. :bigsmile: My husband and I, on the other hand, don't even OWN an iron; we just fluff things up in the dryer when needed.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Favorite-cooking, gardening, cleaning things that invlove small, repetitive movements (cleaning the hair out of a brush, there are others, but I cannot think of them right the moment.)

Least favorite-pretty much anything involving cleaning with chemicals, even though I use mostly natural stuff. I don't get satisfaction from it and if I need to use chemicals it means what I am cleaning is probably gross. The kitchen is my least favorite so hubby does that. Cleaning the bathtub/shower is a close second. I don't love doing the bathroom, but I have to scrub like hell and it is never really clean. Plus, the stuff that really worked was decided not to be safe enough and pulled even though I only used it a few times a year. It was a bleach spray with teflon. Not only did it clean really well, but it kept it from getting dirty again. When they decided that airborne teflon might cause cancer in 30 years, they pulled it.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Like Decogirl, I like laundry as well. I especially like washing the whites b/c I love it when the utility room smells like bleach. However, we're moving from our spacious house into an apartment in the city and I'll have to take an elevator down 25 floors to access the washers/dryers so it very well may become my least favorite chore in a few months.

I also like cleaning our granite counters and stainless appliances. Wax on. Wax off.

I DETEST taking out the trash and I'm not a big fan of vacuuming. We have shaggy carpet and our Dyson sucks so much that you can really work up a sweat using it. Also hate cleaning the bathroom. And like Kittybean, I also hate unpacking after vacation. DH has to really get on me about that when we get back.

Luckily, DH takes out the kitty litter. And come to think of it, I've never had to ask him twice. He just does it. I should give him a smooch for that.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont mind cooking, but hate most other chores, the worst for me is cleaning the bathroom, I just hate it :errrr:

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I detest ironing. Probably doesn't help that I let it sit as long as possible so I always have a mountain of work ahead of me.

I enjoy laundry (I used to do my entire family's when I was in high school), and since I got a new steam mop have been enjoying mopping the floors too.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I like loading the dishwasher.

I detest unloading the dishwasher. I also hate refilling the Brita pitcher.

Unicorny89

Rough_Rock
Trade
Mine would be dishes... dirty dishes ... and FOLDing laundry ... UGH

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I love cooking, that's pretty much my hobby these days. I also like washing windows with my new gadget (I imagine it will get old for me pretty soon, we seem to have a lot of windows).

What do I hate? Oh, most of it. I do try my best to help DH, but most of the time I just make stuff worse. I think he prefers when I just leave chores alone, so he doesn't have to re-do them the 'right' way. The one I hate most is cutting the grass. I'll take my turn, but with gritted teeth. Hate it.

Jen

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
I hate housework in general. I have to really be in the mood to enjoy it, although I do ALWAYS enjoy sitting down to admire the place when it has been finished, no matter how much I grumbled while doing it.

I do love cooking though. I refuse to let my husband cook most of the time.

I don't know which chore I hate the most though. Probably the ironing as it is the one I always seem to avoid and then I end up with a pile the size of a mountain! Which, let'f face it, is worse than the small load I would have to do if I kept on top of it!

A

Anonymous

Zoe said:
I have another chore I don't like: washing the floors. I despise doing this. I do it but I don't like it. Here's why:

So you fill a bucket with soapy water, then mop the floor. While you're doing this, you're putting the dirty mop in the bucket, wringing it out, then swishing the [dirty] mop all over the floor over and over again. Are you really getting the floor clean?

I actually use my double sink in the kitchen. I put the cleaning solution on one side, clean running water on the other side. Then just rinse the mop after every pass, dip in the (fairly) clean solution, etc. When I'm done I just scrub the sink really well with kitchen cleanser so everything is nice and clean. :sun:

Now I'll go back to lurking! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results