shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do dads do this??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
I got an email from my dad last night and at the bottom, under the "PS", it said quote "I''m having lunch with an old friend of yours tomorrow...." Tomorrow which is now today.

The fact that I also saw a 2-minute call from the boyfriend to my dad on the AT&T site (they never talk outside of holidays, etc. b/c they just aren''t super close) makes me think OMG did my dad just totally spill the beans about meeting with my boyfriend?

I''ve told my dad to expect this any day (my dad is also very excited for us to get the ball rolling and boyfriend knows he will of course say "YES you may marry my daughter!") so I am curious if this is my dad''s way of saying "hint hint"!

Why do dads do this??? I feel like I''ve heard a ton of girls who''s parents say things like, "John asked for your hand today" or something like that. Why don''t they just keep a secret?

Not that I''m mad - no way, I''m stoked! - I just don''t get it!

I am keeping my head on straight that of course it could be someone else - though who, I have no idea. And why he wouldn''t just say it straight in the email, I have no idea.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
because dads want to let their daughters know how special they are.

9.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 7:14:26 AM
Author: jcarlylew

9.gif

DITTO! And just because they have the convo doesn''t mean a proposal will happen immediately after. FI waited about a month after talking with my family.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock

9.gif
Exactly!!!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It''s hard for a parent to keep their mouths shut when they''re bursting with pride and excitement. Gotta remember, this is a moment that fathers think about from the moment they hold their daughters in the hospital.
2.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
That''s exciting!!! My dad told me. I was a little upset at first, but realized that dad was super excited, and was bursting at the seams to tell me!

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Haha thats funny. My mom would totally spill the beans before my dad would. Funny story about how my aunt almost spilled the beans on her daughter..

So my cousin had been dating a guy for a while and her boyfriend called her parents (cause they''re across the country) to ask for her hand in marriage, but told them he still wasn''t proposing for a couple days so not to tell her. My aunt (who is a lot like her sister, my mom haha) probably needed her phone hidden to resist the temptation of calling her daughter in excitement. She managed to go a few days without telling anyone and finally my cousin calls them and begins her story with something like "Oh my gosh mom you''re not going to believe this..." My aunt is seconds from shouting "CONGRATULATIONS YOURE GETTING MARRIED" when she realizes the rest of the sentence was "...I found the most amazing apartment to move into next year!" Haha my aunt said it was SOOO close. Thankfully my cousin got engaged a few days later so my aunt could finally celebrate.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
aw sounds like your dad is giving you a little heads up.
9.gif

dustdustdust

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
When FI asked me dad (which he told me he was going to do right before he did it...
20.gif
9.gif
). I think my dad was confused (company x-mas party = booze involved) and thought that we''d already gotten engaged and were keeping a secret until our big ''reveal'' party with both families. So the next time I saw him, he gave me a hug and said "Congratulations!".

Talk about blowing it! I already knew what was going down though.
2.gif

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
I wish my dad would do something like that.

He forgot my birthday last year and when I called him about it he genuinely thought I was turning 19. I was turning 21.

I''m always jealous of people who have good relationships with their fathers. I love my dad so much but sometimes it seems like he doesn''t care.

7.gif

Okay, buzzkill over.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 1:18:03 PM
Author: Feralpenchant
I wish my dad would do something like that.

He forgot my birthday last year and when I called him about it he genuinely thought I was turning 19. I was turning 21.

I''m always jealous of people who have good relationships with their fathers. I love my dad so much but sometimes it seems like he doesn''t care.

7.gif

Okay, buzzkill over.
(((HUGS)))

I''m right there with ya, FP. This thread bummed me out, too.

I have zero relationship with my dad. It really touches a nerve when you see threads like this.

You guys are lucky to have dads who care so much!
9.gif

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I actually arranged the meeting between my dad and my know hubby, after the meeting i call my mom that already had ask my dad everything about it. He did not proposed inmediatly after that, but when he did my family was not surprise at all
9.gif
10.gif
11.gif
12.gif

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I was engaged once when I was really young (18/19...yeah, big mistake) and the guy never spoke to my dad first. When we told my dad he was just like, isn''t someone supposed to tell me first?
7.gif
It was sad because it wasn''t like he wanted to be asked permission, he just wanted to be included!

This time my BF is definitely going to ask for my dad''s blessing...my dad loves my current BF and even calls to talk to him about football so it really won''t even be weird which is nice. Dads are probably just so excited that they can''t hold it in.

iioeo

Rough_Rock
I''m on the fence about this one...

My step-sister was engaged last weekend, and her FI went over to my dad and step-moms that afternoon to ask for her hand. When I finally got a chance to talk to my dad about exactly how everything went down (hehe, I''m so nosey) he explained the asking thing and that he thought it was a little weird! My SO and I are definitely a non-traditional, and I consider my hand MINE to give! I do, however, think it shows a lot of guts for the guy to formally talk to the parents about his intentions, but asking if he can? I dunno. Either way, I don''t think my dad would tell me that he had talked to him, haha! I think my mom might (she''s going almost as crazy as me waiting).

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 8:41:54 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

9.gif

DITTO! And just because they have the convo doesn''t mean a proposal will happen immediately after. FI waited about a month after talking with my family.

I know SERIOUSLY! My SO asked my parents last October...It''s now May 09...I''m dying!

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
Awww...he seems really excited for you! That''s sweet.

It''s no secret that my BF will be asking my step dad soon. He was SUPPOSED to do it last weekend, but he''s such a little procrastinator...grrr. He''s going to take my mom and dad out for dinner and ask then. He already asked my little sister (who''s 13) and only showed her the ring. That made her feel really special
16.gif

I''m not close to my biological father and only see him on birthdays/holidays. In fact, this is going to be a MAJOR issue when I start planning the wedding. I want my step dad to walk me down the isle but I doubt my real dad will gracefully relinquish his "rights" UGH. I think I''ll have buth of them walk me down the isle...though I''ll probably end up looking like a football player
29.gif

b.anna

Shiny_Rock
aww, i think how dad''s react are very cute. i actually told my dad (well my mom told my dad... usually how everything goes in our family) that ff would propose soon, we were shopping for rings, etc. and at first, he was ANGRY, afraid we would break up, etc. but then i reminded my dad that we''ve been dating for almost 5 years, and then he settled down a bit.

but my dad''s way of giving approval? well, he isn''t a man of many words, and he''s not very emotional, so the last time FF was at my parents'' house my dad hugged him. like a big bear hug, for the first time since we dated.
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

9.gif
tritto... aaawww how sweet and cute of a dad you have.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
i''m glad your dad is excited for you
5.gif

mine''s having issues letting go of me and refuses to believe that i''ll be engaged soon.
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results