shape
carat
color
clarity

White bridesmaid dress as a wedding dress?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Have any of you considered using a bridesmaids'' dress in white as your wedding dress to save money? I saw this dress in a magazine, and thought it would look beautiful in white. I used to think I wanted a fancy dress, but the more I think about it, it just doesn''t make sense to spend all that money, especially when I know we want a small wedding without a lot of bells and whistles. So is anyone else condering using a bridesmaids dress? Do you have pics?

JB2 Jasmine 8033A.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I think FFF was considering it. But truthfully you ought to do what ever makes you happy. If the dress looks good and fits with your wedding why not?

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Jenny Yoo has a whole section of these! Called Wedding Alternatives They''re still like $650 but some of them really look like wedding dresses, and they come in various levels of formality. Here''s an example! I don''t have one or know anything about them, but I just came across them online and thought they might be worth considering!

jennyyoo_katherinedress.jpg

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
Why not? I bought a white BCBG dress off the rack, and it was perfect.

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
I tried on the watters 5299 yesterday...and I love it! I am going to try it on once again, with my Bm''s but i think that is what i''m wearing. I''ll post a pic later.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Is this it? It's gorgeous!

I'm glad others do this, but my only concern is if they look as good since they probably don't have the same construction as a wedding dress (ie. boning, corsets, etc)...

watters5299.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, that''s it. Mrsflutter, I looked at your knot bio again & have to say that I love that Watters dress on you! So far, of all the pics I''ve seen of you in a wedding dress (all of 3--heh!), this is my favorite. You''re a knock-out!
9.gif
Would you order it w/ red trim to match your yummy ring?
9.gif

JDGirl, I came really close to selecting a BM dress to wear as my wedding dress. (I have a long dress thread on PS w/ pics of the options I considered) A BM dress in white or ivory could be a great choice as a wedding dress. They''re slightly less formal than wedding gowns & much less expensive. Try Vera Wang, Lazaro & Watters dresses. Let us know what you find.
1.gif

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
Yes that is the picture and I really do love it. It doesnt have boning, but its made out of duchess satin and is beautful on! I want it with red to match my ring (and its my fave color). It really depends how formal you want to be. I want a very expensive photographer for my wedding, so I am putting the 3k on photos instead of a gown. I can get the waters gown for $194 on netbride! I am also getting married in vegas and dont have dreams of swimming in tuillle..... but my choice may not be what everyone wants!

Just an FYI, the lady at fields was not at all happy about me only wanting to choose bm dresses, and kept saying mcCaffery has beautiful destination wedding dresses. SO it might be best just to set up a BM dress appt say you want full length with a small train... Watters has some gorgeous ones
www.watters.com

brightspot, thanks for the compliments....you are ever so sweet! I''m glad you like the bio, I update it ever so much! (so obessesed!)

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I like your ideas!!! If me and my SO (then FIANCÉ!!!) decide to have to a morning garden wedding like I mentioned I would like, I might go with a white BM''s dress. I''m telling you, this site is opening my eyes to so many opportunities!!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
One of my girlfriends wore this Jim Hjelm BM dress for her destination wedding last year.

jimhjelmbmdress.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I almost bought a bridesmaid dress for my wedding gown. I found my dress right before I was going to plunk the cash down. Part of wishes I would have stuck with the plan, yknow the part that forked over an extra 800 bucks. But my dress rocked. So it''s cool.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2005 3:22:04 PM
Author: JDgirl
Is this it? It''s gorgeous!

I''m glad others do this, but my only concern is if they look as good since they probably don''t have the same construction as a wedding dress (ie. boning, corsets, etc)...
Ok that''s VERY similar to the dress I had almost gotten! I was going to have all the ribbons removed from the train and re-dyed.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i found a dress that i can''t seem to locate now, it was a vera wang -- purple label -- and it is gorgeous. they are a lot less expensive and some styles are perfect for the bride
emstar.gif
i''ll try to post one that isn''t my favorite, but so you can get an idea...and i''ll keep looking for my favorite

purple label.jpg

BlingBlingMommy

Rough_Rock
I know someone that bought a strapless white beaded prom dress to use as her wedding gown......it was beautiful!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2005 3:36:42 PM
Author: msflutter
Yes that is the picture and I really do love it. It doesnt have boning, but its made out of duchess satin and is beautful on! I want it with red to match my ring (and its my fave color). It really depends how formal you want to be. I want a very expensive photographer for my wedding, so I am putting the 3k on photos instead of a gown. I can get the waters gown for $194 on netbride! I am also getting married in vegas and dont have dreams of swimming in tuillle..... but my choice may not be what everyone wants!

Just an FYI, the lady at fields was not at all happy about me only wanting to choose bm dresses, and kept saying mcCaffery has beautiful destination wedding dresses. SO it might be best just to set up a BM dress appt say you want full length with a small train... Watters has some gorgeous ones
www.watters.com

brightspot, thanks for the compliments....you are ever so sweet! I''m glad you like the bio, I update it ever so much! (so obessesed!)
Well, you look amazing! I just found your pic on PS that just confirms my opinion that this is "the dress" for you.
1.gif
Congrats for finding it so quickly!

I''m slowly starting to get obsessed w/ my bio too. I''ll post it on PS soon...

You make a great point about some salons not being thrilled that you''re only considering BM dresses. I ran into a problem w/ Vera Wang maids, who said I''d have to order 3 BM dresses if I wanted to get a dress in white or ivory. (Since then, I found out I could order only 1 from Pearl''s Place.) Also, when I went to try on the Lazaro gowns, I went to a place that exclusively sold BM dresses (no wedding gowns) so I didn''t get any pressure to try on wedding gowns too. Just a thought...

I also tried on mrsflutter''s Watters gown. It was gorgeous, but I really had my heart set on chiffon... Had I not found my dress on eBay, I probably would''ve gone with a BM dress too.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
also check out Jcrew''s wedding dresses, they have a cutie one with a little train that may be perfect for someone considering a less flashy wedding dress! they also have more simple bm''y type ones in white.

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
LovelyLulu- Is this the Vera Wang Lavendar Label you were talking about? I think it is gorgeous and so bridal because of the tulle. It is $695.

vera wang tulle.jpg

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
I bought an ivory prom dress from an outlet store for $35 for my wedding. I wasn''t trying to be cheap, I just saw the dress before I was even engaged and knew it was The One. We got a dress from the same range for my bridesmaid, in lavender. I wore a pashmina shawl, my bridesmaid wore a stole made from the same material as her dress.

CRW_990.jpg

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I would also recommend Nicole Miller. Her bridal gowns aren''t too over the top and are well priced and she also has pretty alternatives for bridesmaids which could easily be used for a bride. www.nicolemiller.com

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
jormon:

that is exactly the dress
emstar.gif
though i can''t find it to buy anywhere
39.gif

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/14/2005 2:24:52 PM
Author: lovelylulu
jormon:

that is exactly the dress
emstar.gif
though i can''t find it to buy anywhere
39.gif
Lovelylulu- I found it on the Vera Wang Website in her Lavendar Label Series. This dress is $695.
I hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!

-Janna

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
so, i made my first collage. i hope that i can post it. it is the dress i'm thinking about. it's a vera wang lavendar label -- not a true wedding dress -- but i think that it is gorgeous and it's simplicity suits me. The top two pictures are the dress and the bottom picture is an actual "real" vera bridal gown from one of her collections. i'm using that dress as an inspiration for its wider, tulle straps -- i'd like to change the spaghetti straps to those
emstar.gif
yesterday, i went ahead and ordered the dress because i found it for 40% off and i just couldn't pass it up. if it isn't what i'm hoping i can always return it for a full refund.

emlove.gif
emlove.gif
emlove.gif
collage.bmp

IS IT BRIDAL ENOUGH.....

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
39.gif
sorry. you can''t see my collage

but i had some help and now it''s posted over in the bride to be area -- i welcome ALL opinions!
emstar.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results