shape
carat
color
clarity

Wed 6-8-05

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Did anyone else see this? I thought the part about weighing yourself more often to be of particular intreast. I noticed that the article was aimed at men, but I wonder how much of it applies to both genders.

"1. Weigh yourself often.
Time was, experts said to stay off the scale—it can be discouraging. But after studying 3,500 individuals from the National Weight Control Registry (NWCR) who''ve maintained 60 or more pounds of weight loss for at least a year, researchers found that 44 percent weighed themselves daily. Unhealthy obsession? No, says James Hill, Ph.D., NWCR cofounder and director of the center for human nutrition at the University of Colorado. "They use it as an early warning system for preventing weight regain," he explains. "If your goal is to keep your weight at a certain level, you have to have feedback to see whether you''re successful.""
I hope everyone is having a good morning.
35.gif

ky6

Shiny_Rock
I saw that too. It seems to contradict everything I have ever heard previously. I wonder if men are less likely to get discouraged if they do not see immediate results (or even minor fluctuations up). But the research says they studied "individuals" so I am inclined to believe that it holds true for both genders.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
The trainers at Curves also encourage us not to weigh ourselves daily. Part of the reason is that the numbers aren''t reflected accurately when our muscle weight increases the scale numbers although our clothing sizes are shrinking. This can wreak psychological havoc on women when they are trying to lose weight, but the numbers aren''t going down or (conversely) going up.

They weigh us in once a month (you can use the scale whenever you want, if you''re a fanatic!) officially. As long as our clothes are getting bigger on us, then they say we''re doing it "right."

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I''m still in my slump. I haven''t exercised for about a month now. And I''m going shopping next week... ugh!

As for my appitite, it''s down a bit, but for unfortunate reasons. My uncle died this weekend. The funeral was yesterday. Grief does weird things to me -- I would happily eat nothing all day since I have an extremely sour stomach, but if there''s food in front of me I just can''t stop eating. I''m also drinking a lot more than I should -- but I''ve promised myself that will end on Sunday.

I''m going to try to work out tomorrow. My trainer called me after being away for a while. I need to see how many sessions I have left. I can''t decide whether to join the gym across the street because they have classes, or just suck it up and go on my own to the gym in my building.

Why is this so hard?

jnybrk

Rough_Rock
I have always heard that instead of a scale use a tape measure. That way you can keep up with how many inches you lose and ignore the number of lbs.

For me I used to exercise everyday and the scale was a higher number than I wanted it to be but my clothing size was down. Now because I never exercise the scale has not moved that much but the clothing size is def. different.
8.gif

I am now promising that I will walk at least 3X a week!!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t read that article yet, but I''ll have to check it out later. That is exactly what I started doing when these daily workout threads started months ago. Weighing myself every night has been the perfect solution to my needs!!! Tape measures completely frustrate me. By doing nightly weigh-ins, I really concentrate on portion control throughout the day and trying to eat healthier. Sometimes I fluctuate by as much as 2 or 3 pounds, but it is not something that bothers me too much. I concentrate on what number did I start at the beginning of the month and what number did I finish up on at the end of the month, % lost so far, % to goal, mass lost, etc., etc. I have it all in a a dorky Excel Spreadsheet.
2.gif

To each their own I suppose. I know that there are many people that this would not work for, but b/f and I have done it for months now and it is exactly right for us! I hope that article reaches those people out there with similar needs.
1.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey ladies - that is an interesting article excerpt about how often to weigh yourself. I have to say I''m not sure I buy the every day thing though - I fluctuate so much from day to day if I retain water or am dehydrated or whatever. Right now I''m doing once a week and I don''t think I would ever do less often than that if I were trying to lose weight, although when (if) I ever hit a "target" weight I might move to once every two weeks.

And to Amanda - think of it this way (but try not to get defeatist) - this is so hard because your body doesn''t want you to. Your body wants to hang onto weight and certainly not to lose it - this is no longer an untested theory, we have actually gone over several articles in class recently that talked about the physiological basis for this. The science is by no means complete, but really sometimes it helps to remember that you are fighting all your body''s natural instincts - it wants to rest and to eat as much as possible, preferably of things with as many calories as possible, because as far as your body is concerned this is the best way to survive. On another note, I find that taking classes can be awesome if you are the kind of person who gets into them. Its motivating because you have paid for them and I like the group atmosphere and the music and not having to think about what to do next just following instructions, also I''m competitive so that helps me get a better workout. Another good trick is to try to take a class with a buddy - I did this in college and it really motivated me to show up every time. Good luck!

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Well I said I would run this morning and I did! Only a mile, but hey, it''s a start right?!
1.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Go Irisheyes! That is awesome - it is definitely a start, and I think you are more likely to keep it up if you start gradually.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am aware of one hightly successfull weight loss and life eating program that has both the gals and guys weiging themselves daily.

Of course the program has you tracking other things as well, and does teach that you loose weight in cycles. In reality you wiegh youself daily to properely track the cycle. Thus you may not see any change for a time, then will see a somewhat steady change, and then it flattens out again.

The program works you down to your target weight and then moves into a "lifetime" maintenance mode. I know of people who have been on "lifetime maintenance" for over 3 years who have maintined their wieght to within a few pounds the entire time. These people are free to eat a variety of foods. The real key to the program is its eduction on how to eat properely; thus it is not hard to maintain your target weight when you know how to eat properely.

I''d love to personally use the program to loose weight but I have not been able to figure out how to assemble the right foods to make the weight reduction program work due to my very long list of food allergies.

Perry

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Okay...so I would be among those who does better when I weigh myself. It is an obvious reminder of why I am doing what I am doing. It also helps motivate me, I lose a single oz and there is a smiley face on the calender that date.
31.gif
Ava and I just got back from out evening walk, we did four and half miles, I think we would have gone farther but there are cheerleeding camps going on and it is hard for her not to give out puppy kisses to every squealing girl who wants to pet her.
18.gif
Amanda Panda I am sorry to hear about your uncle.
15.gif
I know how you feel I am an emtional eater too and it is a difficult habit to break. IrishEyes a mile without stopping is pretty spiff, I can walk forever but runnning kicks my bum. I am glad to see everyone back posting again. Yippee for LIW!
36.gif

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
More than weighing myself I try on my "skinny" clothes and see my progress... is that silly?
3.gif
I think my current weight loss is within the error range of being dehydrated, morning vs. night so then I end up getting upset when I''m a pound or two heavier.

Today I ran 2.75 miles and did some light weights. For fun I did the frog position (balance) to work the core.. it''s a yoga type thing where you balance on your triceps in a semi-handstand type of way... I have *tried* to attach a picture. It''s great fun although I wouldn''t recommend doing it on astroturf like I did.
40.gif

Yoga%20Kakasana%20Crow%20pose.JPG

icekid

Ideal_Rock
hehe, neat picture snow!

As for the weighing, i really think it depends on what works for you. i definitely do better when i weigh myself regularly, but then i don''t really fluctuate greatly. so if i am up a couple pounds, it''s probably b/c i ate too much carby stuff (which makes you retain water). when i see that, i know i have to back off a little on the whole grain cereal
3.gif

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
I don't think this applies to people trying to lose weight so much as those trying to maintain what they've lost, wouldn't you say? When you're conscious of what you're eating and exercising regularly in order to lose pounds, getting on the scale daily may frustrate you. However, weighing often when you're not dieting, I would think, is a great idea. There have been too many times in my life that I've been afraid to get on the scale for fear of what I'd see. Only because I had blown off healthy eating and exercising for too long! The scale, for me anyway, always needs to be visible!

klr -- who ate entirely too much Macaroni and Cheese over this past cold New England winter and is now trying very hard to get back to my "wedding weight". Seriously, who gains 15 lbs. in 10 months? I'll give you a hint: it's not my husband!!!!
23.gif

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
***im a little late on this one... but just starting to find new things on PS...
18.gif

Date: 6/9/2005 7:29:33 PM
Author: heart prongs
I don''t think this applies to people trying to lose weight so much as those trying to maintain what they''ve lost, wouldn''t you say? When you''re conscious of what you''re eating and exercising regularly in order to lose pounds, getting on the scale daily may frustrate you. However, weighing often when you''re not dieting, I would think, is a great idea. There have been too many times in my life that I''ve been afraid to get on the scale for fear of what I''d see. Only because I had blown off healthy eating and exercising for too long! The scale, for me anyway, always needs to be visible!
i agree. i think the most who weigh often... are people trying to mainitain.. or build muscle mass.

from the guys point of view... stepping on the scale often doesnt carry as much of an impact. +/- 3 pounds per weighing is usually just accpeted as a fluctuation on food and hydration. as long as the direction maintains (either down or up).

....guessing. this could because of the usual male mentality. if we see progress in how far and how fast we can run.. or increase in what we can lift.... then the weight fluctuation falls into second.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results