shape
carat
color
clarity

Updates

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
So, my SO and I had a long conversation last night about the upcoming engagement and everything so I thought I would give everyone the update and let everyone else respond with their own updates.

Our conversation basically started about finances and such and then eventually moved on to his saving up for the ring. He figured out how much money he has left over each month after bills and everything. Then when he was trying to figure out how long he would save for the ring, he said 12 months!
6.gif
I was so shocked! With all his talk of using his tax refund and talking about things in the spring, I thought for sure he would propose this summer. Then he throws in all this talk about not rushing things.

We both decided that he shouldn''t finance the ring if at all possible. He said that he doesn''t want me to ever upgrade the diamond, so he wants to make sure that I absolutely love the diamond I get and that may take some time. He also views this as a "Good things come to those who wait" kind of thing. Because in this experience, waiting always ends up working out better. He also kept saying that when it happens shouldn''t bother me. He said that it WILL happen and that is all I should be concerned about. One positive thing is that he did tell me how much he has been thinking about us getting engaged and married recently and that he is excited. He just doesn''t want to rush things. I know that part of his hesitation is that his parents rushed into marriage and they went through a very nasty divorce. I guess I just feel like if he really wanted to marry me, then why doesn''t he want us to get married now? But, we both want to enter this marriage when we are both mentally (not the right word, but I can''t think of a better one) and financially ready. The finances is what is really holding us back right now.

I guess it''s just the disappointment that I really thought we would be engaged this summer. Plus, it''s so hard to go to school (just started my college classes again on Wednesday) and see all these people my age get married and engaged. I really get jealous of them sometimes. In the end, he is right though. All I should be worried about is that he will propose. It just won''t be on my timeline. I''m just really having mixed feelings. On the one hand, he affirmed for me that he will propose and he will buy me an amazing ring. On the other hand, I have to wait much longer than I expected and I''m afraid that will be very difficult.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that he did say we can buy a very inexpensive setting first and focus almost all of the budget on the diamond (which we have agreed to purchase either from GOG or WF
9.gif
) and then upgrade my setting, later on, to my dream Mark Morrell setting!

So, enough of me. How are things going with you and your SO? Have you had any engagement or ring conversations recently?
9.gif
Do you think the proposal is coming soon? Feel free to add any other updates you have as well!

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
we are very much on track.

my dream ring will really stretch the budget, so i''m planning on getting a smaller stone, but i haven''t told SO that yet
27.gif
I don''t want the cost of the ring to hold us back or cause my SO financial strain (we would never finance it)

he wants to get married by the end of the year
23.gif
so i''m looking at another 3-4 months max before proposal.

i really have no idea when or where it''s going to happen, he is really keeping me guessing.

it will happen for you mayflowers, just not when you want it
39.gif

if he''s worth the wait, then wait and concentrate on other things that make you happy
1.gif

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
He is definitely worth the wait. My engagement fever just makes waiting a little bit harder.
2.gif
But, you are definitely right. I just need to focus on all the other things that make me happy.
9.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 2:11:54 PM
Author: MayFlowers
He is definitely worth the wait. My engagement fever just makes waiting a little bit harder.
2.gif
But, you are definitely right. I just need to focus on all the other things that make me happy.
9.gif
And you can come here and blow off a little of that engagement fever any time you need it!

It sounds like things just need to fall into place, and that will happen in time!

Things with A and I are going well...we started saving for our HM, and have started getting on the same page about what we want in a wedding, since it will be in a different state (and different time zone) from where we currently live. I''m expecting a proposal in late March/early April...but we''ll see!

Best wishes to you, MayFlowers! And I *LOVE* MWM...which setting are you lusting after???

ChocolateLover

Rough_Rock
I have a fairly major update...

So, my BF has the ring (I think). We had the ring custom made and it was finished this past Monday. I even briefly saw the final outcome! I think he''s picked it up, but can not be 100% sure. We''re already (mostly me) discussing venues & a timeline - but its hard to get too into anything until its finally official.

I really hope he gets on with it though, as the plan is to get married this summer/fall and reception locations are filling quickly! Maybe even this weekend? Or next weekend on our ski trip?

I hope he doesn''t wait until Valentines day... or even longer...

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 5:26:53 PM
Author: vc10um
Date: 1/8/2010 2:11:54 PM

Best wishes to you, MayFlowers! And I *LOVE* MWM...which setting are you lusting after???

Thanks for the well wishes! I really love all of MWM''s signature settings. I have already contacted Mark and talked to him about making one of his signature pieces for me in yellow gold. I love YG and really want my ring to be YG with a platinum head. He informed me that the Flame and Torchiere are one-piece constructions, but the Sunburst is two piece. So, he said doing this metal combo with the Sunburst would be relatively easy. He even provided me with *several* pictures of a previous customer''s Petite Sunburst in YG with a plat. head. It was completely gorgeous. But, I really love the "flowy" feel of the prongs on the Torchiere and Flame. So, I haven''t really decided what to do yet.

I love hearing everyone''s updates! It''s nice to hear how everyone else is doing!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear about your timeline disappointment, MayFlowers. But at least you know he''s committed to marrying you, which is great, particularly when the two of you are relatively young. Wow, ChocolateLover, sound like it will be happening really soon! VC10um and LuckyNumber, glad things are going along swimmingly for y''all!

As far as what''s going on with my boy and I, things are going well. He''s mentioned more than once lately that we need to get moving about the setting. Since he''s taking some more professional tests in the morning (hopefully the last set), he actually took the day off of work. So I''m thinking that we may want to visit a jeweler or two, but we''ll see how feels after the tests. I''ll keep y''all posted!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Things with BF and I have hit a hurdle; no having our own place = no engagment. Me not having a job = not enough money for own place. Chances of geting a job in the field I''m qualified in = slim.

So in other words: this may take some time.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Alas im also looking at quite a wait
7.gif
but i cant complain, its because we have other priorities (namely holidays here, there and everywhere!!)...i always put travel above saving for a ring so until we''re in more ''career'' oriented jobs i dont think it''ll happen. Still i daydream a little here and there
21.gif

Fingers crossed lots of ladies come of the list this year, i have a good feeling about the first year of the tenties
9.gif

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t worry, 4ever, I''m in the same boat. I just graduated with a Bachelor''s degree and am not having much luck on the job front. I still have the same part-time job I''ve had through high school and college, but no real solid income=no money to set aside for a ring. Keep your fingers crossed and stay positive! I''m sure things will get on track one of these days.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 1:49:25 PM
Author: ChloeTheGreat
Don''t worry, 4ever, I''m in the same boat. I just graduated with a Bachelor''s degree and am not having much luck on the job front. I still have the same part-time job I''ve had through high school and college, but no real solid income=no money to set aside for a ring. Keep your fingers crossed and stay positive! I''m sure things will get on track one of these days.
Thanks Chloe. It''s just very frustrating to know what''s holding up getting our own place and our engagment is me! The job market here is still terrible but hopefully I''ll get something, ANYTHING! Tempted to also apply for a retail job in a jewlery shop and put my PS obsession to good use untill I find a job in my industry.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
4ever,

I know exactly how you feel!

We''ll just have to serve as moral support for eachother.
9.gif

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Just a quick update. Yesterday did not end up being a ring shopping day (crazy hectic, but did have a fancy dinner out and went to the symphony
9.gif
). But he mentioned that we may want to do it this week on the day that the jeweler is opened late. Woohoo!

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
The bf and I had a talk and I asked him when (in general) he wants to get married and when I can expect to be proposed to. I''m currently in a part-time Masters program and I want to transfer to a full-time program somewhere else. He said he wants to wait until I''ve finished my school completely before we get married, but I can expect a proposal next year.
36.gif

GettingDesperate905

Rough_Rock
Trade
Oh man... updates:S....
Well, I just joined and have posted all of once, so its not really an update so much as a get to know the situation post. First of all, thank you everyone for being so welcoming. I was loosing my head before i found this site, thinking I was the only one being tortured lol... thank the good Lord, Im not
28.gif

My SO told me in October that he was "in the process" of getting me an e ring. I was so happy and so excited. He financed it, so it has been hard waiting as he made payments. The whole time knowing everything about the purchase (other than what the ring looks like, he''s insistent that I dont know). Just this past Saturday, as I was at a bridal show (shocker!), he went and picked it up. So now it is in his possession. My only requests for the proposal have been that he doesn''t wait long, and that he doesn''t do it on our ani (superbowl sunday). He has told me a few times that he knows exactly what he''s doing, and I wont have to wait long, but each day feels like a torturous disappointment. I have been getting my hopes up each day, because my dream proposal would be just simple, hanging out at home. Or him waking me up with a ring. Im kinda a simple girl, and he knows it, so it could be any time of any day.
Im going insane lol.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I''m hogging this updates thread! We may not be able to go to the jeweler tomorrow on it''s late night (I may have a meeting but haven''t gotten the total confirmation), but he did say he was thinking about an engagement in February. Woohoo!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Mayflowers - I''m sorry the engagement isn''t arriving when you had hoped... but I always try to keep in mind that it will happen when it is right, and it will be PERFECT for that. For instance, if we had done earlier, I might have settled for a ring I wasn''t completely head over heels for, vs. finding the set I did which I am in love with!!!

SO and I are planning to be engaged by the end of this year. Wedding plans for March of 2013 which I''m SO EXCITED about!!!!! I have a wedding date.... so strange to say.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so glad to hear about everyone''s updates!

As for me, I should have learned by now that nothing ever goes as planned. Especially when I sit here and day dream about it all day! But that''s okay. It will happen eventually for all of us and dragonfly is right, it will be perfect!
9.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Mayflowers - my SO wants me to be surprised.... which means I have to relinquish all control to him.... it SUCKS.... I''m trying to remind myself... we should just chant it to one another out loud sometimes lol

titian23

Shiny_Rock
Just saw this post - we sort of have an update. We were talking over dinner the other night and as I was explaining that I only get frustrated with the wait because I''m such a control freak and I don''t think its fair that he gets to know all the plans and I get to know none (he always laughs at me when I say this and then asks if I want to know when he''s going to ask, which of course I really don''t! ahhhhhhhhh!!!) I did manage to ask him when he sees himself actually getting married. He said the summer he''s done at University, which is next May!
36.gif

So - I guess it''s going to be sometime in the next 6 to 8 months as I was sure to drive home the fact that we would need at least 9 months to a year to plan! We live in Bermuda and a lot of people will be coming from overseas!
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results