shape
carat
color
clarity

To Postpone the Wedding Or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
Ok so some of you know we got engaged in April. We have been shooting for an Aug/Sept 2008 wedding, this is 15-16 months away, I''ll be finishing up my BA degree in 6 months, finally! These next 6 months will be busy for me to finish it up, leaving no room for planning. I really don''t want a 2009 wedding because it would be so far off, do you think i''ll have enought time to plan and save a bit of money? Or postpone it for the following spring or fall? I know it''s really up to us, FI doesn''t really care either way. He''s no help!!! I really do want it to be 2008, my dad will be paying for most of it and FI parents want to contribute, and I''d like to contribute for a few things.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Sure, I think you''ll have time!

Really the only things you need to do a year out is choose a place and a date. You don''t have to, but it''s a lot less stressful if you do book something more than a year out. It''ll be a fun little research thing to do when you relax.

I got married only 8 months after we were engaged, and we really didn''t start planning anything for the first couple of months! So it''s certainly doable.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Indie!

We are researching places now, toured a river boat last month, and this month is an Old Winery.
We looked at a few places without appointments also, but they were eh.... I think it''s definitely between the River Boat and Winery. These two places seem to be the most unique and fun. I really haven''t researched more because I haven''t found anything that really appeals to me and I don''t want to drive myself crazy and revolving our lives around "the wedding" for the next year and a half, just trying to take it slooow.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 12:43:32 PM
Author:MustangFan

I really don't want a 2009 wedding because it would be so far off,
2009 will be here before you know it, trust me. If you will be busy finishing school rest of 2007, by the time you are done, sping 2009 will only be 15 months away. The difference between Sept 2008 and April 2009 is only 6 months.

I guess if it were me, I'd rather keep my stress levels low and have the wedding in 2009 than stress myself out trying to hold a wedding in 2008 not for any logical reason but just because of some vauge notion that 2009 is "too far off". You have the rest of your life to be married. Give your self a chance to finish your commitments in your current life (school, etc) before planning a wedding.

Good luck!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally think that no one needs more than a year to plan a wedding at MOST. As Indie said there are only a few things that need to be done even a year in advance, so I would stick with your plan of August 2008.

We got engaged in April and we''re getting married in October. I''m in school too, and honestly, it hasn''t been that stressful overall.

Becky P

Shiny_Rock
If you really WANT to have it in 2008 and your parents and his parents will be able to have the money by then, I say go ahead and have it in 2008. I''d suggest going ahead and booking as soon as you can the location (ceremony and reception), caterer, photographer, videographer (if you''re gonna have one), and DJ. Then, you can sit back and relax and enjoy being engaged for the next year and you''ll only have small things to do in the months leading up to the wedding. Also, if you haven''t created a budget or a guest list, you really need to do that BEFORE you book anything. No sense blowing 75% of the budget on a photographer if you think your dad will be giving you more money that he really is, and no sense in booking a location that will only hold 75 people if your guest list ends up being 200. So, if you want 2008, then go for it.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
If you really want to have a 2008 wedding, I say stick with August or September 2008. You definitely have enough time to plan. I would book the important things like ceremony and reception location, caterer, photographer, and videographer about a year in advance. Then the other things can wait until after you are done with school.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you want your wedding to be 2008, then I would book it for then. For me personally, we are aiming for a 2009 wedding mainly because I want to have at least 3 years of my course done. Otherwise we would book it for next year.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Unless you''re DIYing your flowers, make sure to look into the florist, too. Most can only handle one wedding a week, so they need to be booked well in advance to make sure you can get the one you want.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
My main concern is having some money to help out, I don''t want to burden my Dad with everything. I should be able to have enough money saved in 10 months of no school and getting a better job, if not career going
We are trying to find the reception site now, hopefully it''ll be soon and then picking a date out, which we have definitely decided August of Sept, so we are alittle reflexible.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results