shape
carat
color
clarity

The Running of The Brides - Filene''s Basement

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Here is an article from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, www.ajc.com detailing todays "Running of The Brides" at Filene''s Basement (also attached is a photo from the event):

The waiting was the hardest part for participants in Friday''s "Running of the Brides" event at Filene''s Basement in Buckhead.
A mob of about 900 people -- many of whom had camped out overnight to be among the first to snap up bargain-priced wedding gowns -- needed a mere 45 seconds to pick the store''s stock of 1,500 dresses clean.

The gowns -- originally valued at $800 to $8,000 but marked down to the $249-$699 range -- weren''t arranged by size. So brides-to-be and those there to assist them grabbed gowns by the armload, then began the rigorous process of sifting through them.

To facilitate the search, many hoisted homemade signs above their heads, detailing the sizes and styles they were frantically seeking. Once the initial rush for gowns was over, the shoppers'' task turned to trying on what they''d grabbed and bartering with others for the gowns in their clutches.

The tradition dates to 1947 at the chain''s original store in Boston. It''s typified by frenzied searches by brides-to-be and their attendants for designer wedding gowns on sale for fractions of their original prices.

Today''s sale at the Filene''s in Buckhead officially started at 8 a.m., but savvy shoppers had crowded outside the store''s doors hours ahead of time in order to have the best pick of the 1,500 gowns offered.

Filene''s isn''t allowed to advertise the brand names of the gowns because they''re being sold at such discount prices.

Last year''s "Run of the Brides" in Atlanta attracted more than 800 shoppers before the doors even opened. Typically, the sales racks are stripped bare in 60 seconds or less as shoppers grab as many gowns as they can carry and try them on in any spare floor space they can carve out.

The sales event is at once competitive and cordial, as shoppers typically "trade" gowns between each other while narrowing down their choices.

fbb.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I am fascinated by this event!! If you had a good "team" I think it would be fun. Can you imagine a "TEAM LIW" storming this thing?

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
I almost took a day off to go to this event. Reading the article made me sad to miss it.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would be a RIOT. I''d go just because I think it''s funny. Unfortunately I have no need for an off-the-rack gown.
7.gif

palmbaybabe

Shiny_Rock
OH TYBEE DON''T BE SAD, MAYBE NEXT TIME. I WISH THEY HAD SOMETHING LIKE THAT IN THE MILWAUKEE AREA, I WOULD BE ONE TO CAMP OUT THE NIGHT BEFORE.

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
6.gif
OMG!!That sounds like a riot waiting to happen. Is there security around? They would have to be big burly, taser tottin'' brave souls to control a mass of bridzilla''s!!
32.gif

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been to ROB or PMS (Pre-marriage sale) twice with friends. It''s a riot, but in a not so bad way. What''s amazing is how trampled some of the clothing gets, but really it''s like that in Filene''s Basement around Christmas too.

I am pondering going for myself this year (Feb 18th, 2005)...of course I haven''t gotten the ring yet, so that could be awkward. :D The other reason I would hold off on going is I''ve gained about 40lbs in the past year and am working on losing it. Would you guys go now, or wait until you were closer to the goal wait, and actually have the ring on the finger (keep in mind the earliest we''d be getting hitched would be late spring/summer of 2006, so it''s even possible I could go next year too)?

honeynut

Shiny_Rock
OMG it would be AWESOME to storm the place as a LIW team!!! We could all get ready ahead of time by studying one anothers'' sizes, fave dress picks etc... we could try on ahead of time to know exactly what each of us needs, scope out the store to get a feel for the layout, devise a plan of attack, then camp out on the sidewalk keeping each other company until... CHARGE!!!!! We could get matching helmets or something.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2005 9:57:58 AM
Author: honeynut
We could get matching helmets or something.

LOL!!!
9.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Hee. My immediate response to the matching helmets was, "well, we should do that anyway!"

I have an image of all of us in all corners of the world, typing away online while wearing our sparkly helmets with, like, big letters spelling out LIW in cz''s or something ;-) Maybe once LIW graduated from the club they could attach a veil to the back of the helmet.

Sorry, I''m such a dork. The blizzard has gone to my head. News on that--my flight was cancelled! I''m still in NY till Monday at least.

Ok, back on topic: does this filene''s event happen in most major cities where they have a filene''s?

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
FYI, here is the schedule of Filene''s bridal events for the rest of the year from their website:

Columbus, OH -- Feb. 4
Chicago, IL (State St. Store) -- Feb. 11
Boston. MA -- Feb. 18
NY, NY (Union Sq. Store) -- March 4
Pittsburg, PA -- March 11

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''ll miss NY b/c I''ll be a California girl again by then (I should be en route now, but flight was cancelled)! But since I don''t think I''ll be engaged that soon, I wouldn''t do it. I''m such a ring ho, but I have never gone trying on wedding dresses (except for my mom''s, which i may wear) and won''t do it until I''m engaged...somehow that''s my line in the sand, silly as it sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results