color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 10:46:13 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Hi ladies!

So I have my mid-summer review in 15 min. I''m SO nervous. I''m a summer associate at a law firm, and right now, it''s definitely scary - no one knows how many offers will be given out at the end of the summer (to return after graduation), or if we''re going to get deferred for a year, or what. My stomach''s churning....

Not to mention one of my officemates is driving me absolutely batty.
Good luck, BEG!! I''m sure you''ll do great!

We have so many summer associates around right now, and I swear the girls must be 13 years old. They giggle and bounce around the office like they just ran into the Backstreet Boys.

I never acted like that at work even when I was 16! They make me feel old and I''m only 26!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 10:47:02 AM
Author: ckrickett

Hi ladies!

So I have my mid-summer review in 15 min. I''m SO nervous. I''m a summer associate at a law firm, and right now, it''s definitely scary - no one knows how many offers will be given out at the end of the summer (to return after graduation), or if we''re going to get deferred for a year, or what. My stomach''s churning....

Aw good luck!!!
Thanks!

elation

Rough_Rock
Thinkgeek was my first go-to... but I''m in Canada and I waited too long. Shipping takes two weeks in my experience. =P Definitely been there though haha

He does game online, and we do Guild Wars together, but by now he already has all the expansions and I don''t think GW2 is out yet. He has no consoles, but I''ve a PS2 that we use sometimes =P
And YES!! He is totally a table top player!! He loves them to bits. He is a huuuuge Settler''s fan, has all the expansions and versions (or his family does). Know any good two player ones? (Funny, he mentioned this yesterday but I knew none... )

Hm.. outdoor stuff might be good. We''re avid snowboarders too, not quite the season though..
He also likes skateboarding and rollerblading, he just got new blades though.

elation

Rough_Rock
Hi ladies!

Good luck!! The trick is to breathe. =)

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 10:48:22 AM
Author: elation
Thinkgeek was my first go-to... but I''m in Canada and I waited too long. Shipping takes two weeks in my experience. =P Definitely been there though haha

He does game online, and we do Guild Wars together, but by now he already has all the expansions and I don''t think GW2 is out yet. He has no consoles, but I''ve a PS2 that we use sometimes =P
And YES!! He is totally a table top player!! He loves them to bits. He is a huuuuge Settler''s fan, has all the expansions and versions (or his family does). Know any good two player ones? (Funny, he mentioned this yesterday but I knew none... )

Hm.. outdoor stuff might be good. We''re avid snowboarders too, not quite the season though..
He also likes skateboarding and rollerblading, he just got new blades though.
How much are you looking to spend?

How about some skating sneaks (my FI loves them!) and...a few other little presents.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies!

Good luck! And yes, deep breaths. Think of something fun!

elation

Rough_Rock
So I have about $100.. enough for a decent watch? Or should I just write that off until I can afford something nicer?

Shoes are an excellent idea! But I got him a pair of DC Shoes last year for his birthday =P He didn''t wear them all winter in efforts to preserve them.. so I think they''re still in quite good condition. =]

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Does he ride a bike? Run?

I think I''m only good for athletic boys. Or gag gifts.

FWIW, I had to return part of what I got BF for his bday, so I''m still on the hunt.
20.gif
So basically...don''t listen to me.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
maybe a nice wallet? Have you checked to see if there are any events coming up in your area he might be interested in, like some type of show or concert?

elation

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 11:09:59 AM
Author: princesss

FWIW, I had to return part of what I got BF for his bday, so I''m still on the hunt.
20.gif

No worries, team brainstorm! haha

The BF is an athletic one too, but more sports oriented. I thought about an authentic bball jersey, but once the player leaves the team the jersey is obsolete!

Date: 6/26/2009 11:10:38 AM
Author: purselover
maybe a nice wallet? Have you checked to see if there are any events coming up in your area he might be interested in, like some type of show or concert?

purselover >> a wallet would''ve been a great idea!! He got a new one recently though when his old one started falling apart. Aargh. Summerlicious is happening in Toronto right now... that''s the prix fixe menu at classier restaurants event.

I could get a refurbed iPod.. but I guess he doesn''t really have so much use for one anymore..
7.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ali! I sure did miss our small talk......

So I''m SO EXCITED becasuse I''m getting my haircut tomorrow. I''ve been pinning it back all week since it''s been driving me up the wall.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies!

I''m sure it will go fine. Just try and stay calm and I''ll bet it will all be good news!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 11:34:58 AM

purselover >> a wallet would''ve been a great idea!! He got a new one recently though when his old one started falling apart. Aargh. Summerlicious is happening in Toronto right now... that''s the prix fixe menu at classier restaurants event.
I like the idea of a wallet. I''ve gotten S a wallet before. I think that is a great idea!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Wooooo small talk''s back! All is right with the world again.
1.gif

I need help talking myself off the ledge at the moment.
39.gif
We have our epics Sunday, plus a birthday party for a 2 year old (my MOH''s son), whom I''m annoyed with because she almost ruined my wedding (exaggeration) and I have to get my hair cut this afternoon and I don''t know how I want it cut and they''re super snobby there so they''ll probably make fun of my bad hair. I don''t know what to wear as a second outfit for epics and don''t have time to shop because Saturday FI is doing something to surprise me for my bday that was last week....aahhhhhhh!!!! Oh and since stopping my BC 2 weeks ago my body has been in perma PMS mode = major bitch + all the added stress of above stressors!!!!

Bahhhhhhh word vomit over. Hot damn.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 11:34:58 AM

Date: 6/26/2009 11:09:59 AM

20.gif

No worries, team brainstorm! haha

The BF is an athletic one too, but more sports oriented. I thought about an authentic bball jersey, but once the player leaves the team the jersey is obsolete!

I could get a refurbed iPod.. but I guess he doesn''t really have so much use for one anymore..
7.gif
Hmmm....what about tickets to go see a team he really likes? I bet you could get good seats for $100. Or what about putting together a gift basket kind of thing, with small stuff you know he''ll like. A season of his favourite show, plus snacks. Call it a "Make Your Own Movie Marathon" kit. Get a few movies, some snacks, and an "Admit one to X & Y''s movie marathon extravaganza". And then maybe make his favourite dessert/snack and include some of those (like my BF looooves peppermint brownies).

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! It actually went really really well. I''ve gotten good reviews from everyone I worked with, and no bad comments, etc. I asked if I needed to work on anything specific in the next few weeks, and the partner said "nope!"
3.gif
So I''m pretty happy

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 11:55:14 AM
Author: sunnyd
1.gif

39.gif
We have our epics Sunday, plus a birthday party for a 2 year old (my MOH''s son), whom I''m annoyed with because she almost ruined my wedding (exaggeration) and I have to get my hair cut this afternoon and I don''t know how I want it cut and they''re super snobby there so they''ll probably make fun of my bad hair. I don''t know what to wear as a second outfit for epics and don''t have time to shop because Saturday FI is doing something to surprise me for my bday that was last week....aahhhhhhh!!!! Oh and since stopping my BC 2 weeks ago my body has been in perma PMS mode = major bitch + all the added stress of above stressors!!!!

Okay, breathe. Screw the haristylist''s opinions of you, they''re there to provide a service. If they don''t do it well, your tip can reflect that. Search for pictures you like, but try to restrict them to models/celebrities with your face shape (and hair texture, preferably). I find about.com actually has some decent styles.

What is your first outfit? Jeans and something? What about a cute dress? I''m sure you have a cute summer dress. Or a dress you wear to work? What about a skirt and top? Pick an outfit you feel cute and fabulous in. I *know* you have one of those.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.gif

39.gif

Damn, Sunnyd!

Just get a trim if you don''t know what you want right now.. there''s no pressure in that right?

Ransack that closet of yours! You probably have something cute.. you just have to rediscover it again. I forget sometimes all the cute stuff I have in my closet. Some still has tags on it.
5.gif

And yeah... stopping the BC sucks. Big time.
14.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 12:01:21 PM
What is your first outfit? Jeans and something? What about a cute dress? I''m sure you have a cute summer dress. Or a dress you wear to work? What about a skirt and top? Pick an outfit you feel cute and fabulous in. I *know* you have one of those.
Jeans and a black top and black heels. So that''s the dressier of the two. I seriously don''t have a cute dress! And believe me, I have searched downtown Seattle high and low for one for a wedding that was last weekend and ended up wearing a fancy dress. I don''t even have a cute skirt that fits. I''m screwed. Would it be weird to do 2 different jean and top outfits? Not my preference, but I really am screwed.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 12:05:12 PM
Author: elledizzy5

1.gif

39.gif

Damn, Sunnyd!

Just get a trim if you don''t know what you want right now.. there''s no pressure in that right?

Ransack that closet of yours! You probably have something cute.. you just have to rediscover it again. I forget sometimes all the cute stuff I have in my closet. Some still has tags on it.
5.gif

14.gif
A trim could work. The last time I got my hair cut I went cheap and she butchered my hair. I got it sorta fixed, but it''s still growing out the butchering. That''s why I went snobby this time, they may be jerks, but they can do magic!
9.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 12:10:18 PM

1.gif

39.gif

Damn, Sunnyd!

5.gif

14.gif
A trim could work. The last time I got my hair cut I went cheap and she butchered my hair. I got it sorta fixed, but it''s still growing out the butchering. That''s why I went snobby this time, they may be jerks, but they can do magic!
9.gif
Ohhhh. OK. Gotcha. You went to the snotty place because they''re expensive and likely have better stylists. Hmm.... I''ve always wanted to go in and just say "Do whatever you want" but that''s kinda scary. I wish i had the nerve to do that.

elation

Rough_Rock
princesss :: that''s such a cute idea! I think I might do that... =)

Thanks for your ideas everyone!

sunnyd:: maybe you could bring a friend with you when you get your hair done so you won''t feel so alone and victimized? Also, maybe just choose your favourite outfit that you feel the most beautiful and comfortable in if you can''t find anything else. Maybe you can find some fabulous accessories to make your outfit more impressive!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Speaking of e-pics...

Im wearing this dress for one outfit... I was thinking red heels with it.. would that be good?

What about accessories. I''m fashion challenged.
7.gif

dressforepics222.JPG

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 12:16:37 PM

1.gif

39.gif

Damn, Sunnyd!

5.gif

14.gif
9.gif
Ohhhh. OK. Gotcha. You went to the snotty place because they''re expensive and likely have better stylists. Hmm.... I''ve always wanted to go in and just say ''Do whatever you want'' but that''s kinda scary. I wish i had the nerve to do that.
Totally! Expensive = better, right?
3.gif
I wanna do that too. Maybe one day. Like they do on makeover shows, when they tell you what hair you should have.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 12:25:47 PM

Date: 6/26/2009 12:16:37 PM

1.gif

39.gif

Damn, Sunnyd!

5.gif

14.gif
9.gif
Ohhhh. OK. Gotcha. You went to the snotty place because they''re expensive and likely have better stylists. Hmm.... I''ve always wanted to go in and just say ''Do whatever you want'' but that''s kinda scary. I wish i had the nerve to do that.
Totally! Expensive = better, right?
3.gif
I wanna do that too. Maybe one day. Like they do on makeover shows, when they tell you what hair you should have.
YES! Does that happen in real life? That''s what I want! Someone to go "OMG, your eyes, they''re gorge! And your hair... this will be PERFECT!" and then you walk out looking like a supermodel.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 12:18:41 PM
princesss :: that''s such a cute idea! I think I might do that... =)

Thanks for your ideas everyone!

sunnyd:: maybe you could bring a friend with you when you get your hair done so you won''t feel so alone and victimized? Also, maybe just choose your favourite outfit that you feel the most beautiful and comfortable in if you can''t find anything else. Maybe you can find some fabulous accessories to make your outfit more impressive!
Thanks for the suggestion elation, but I''m all alone for this one. Unless my dad comes with me; he''ll the only one I know downtown at that hour. Haha!

Wish I could help with birthday ideas, but I always suck at that. For Chris it''s always golf/xbox/dinners. Good luck!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 12:24:42 PM
Speaking of e-pics...

Im wearing this dress for one outfit... I was thinking red heels with it.. would that be good?

7.gif
Elle, I actually tried that dress on and loved it! Red heels would be awesome! I suck at other accessories though, so I got nothing.
14.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 12:30:56 PM

Speaking of e-pics...

7.gif
Elle, I actually tried that dress on and loved it! Red heels would be awesome! I suck at other accessories though, so I got nothing.
14.gif
Dude... did you notice how big their dresses ran? I had to get a small!

In WHAT world does a 5''10" 159 lb chick wear a small?
33.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 12:33:29 PM

Speaking of e-pics...

7.gif
14.gif

In WHAT world does a 5''10'' 159 lb chick wear a small?
33.gif
Really?!! I think I tried a medium that was a bit big, but yeah the rest of their stuff is a small for me. Whatevs, it makes me feel good! Haha!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 12:35:24 PM

Date: 6/26/2009 12:33:29 PM

Speaking of e-pics...

7.gif
14.gif

In WHAT world does a 5''10'' 159 lb chick wear a small?
33.gif
Really?!! I think I tried a medium that was a bit big, but yeah the rest of their stuff is a small for me. Whatevs, it makes me feel good! Haha!
Haha. yeah... The vanity sizing. What an ego boost.
3.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results