shape
carat
color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I love how busy this thread is! I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to read all the new topics, but I need a little mid-day vent about things that are bugging me right now:

1. People that don't tip! If you can't afford to tip, don't eat out!
2. Snooty prissy girls that complain about every little thing and expect to be served like they're at a 5 star restaurant. Umm, hello! It's a sports bar! Wings are not meant to be eaten with a fork & knife! edit: I should also mention that they snapped their fingers and did the "come here" finger gesture to me. Ok seriously?! I'm not your dog and if you're gonna be dis-respectful, expect that I'll do the same back.
3. People that insist on getting a glass of water along with their soda or beer, and then they don't even touch it.
4. People that call in a to-go order without knowing what they want. Do you really need me to read the whole freakin' menu over the phone?!
5. The guy that ordered 2lbs of wings and referred to it as: "2 labels of wings" instead of 2 pounds.

Ugh, is the day over yet? I hope you all are having a better day!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
LIW''s, would you be flattered or annoyed by this?

We just got a wedding invitation in the mail, addressed to Mr. & Mrs. B''sLastName. I think the bride was trying to be cute, but I feel like she really missed the mark. I''m not going to lose sleep over it or anything, but I also don''t think it''s funny or cute -- do I need to just lighten up?

(strongly suspecting that I just have a case of the Mondays, but I''m curious what y''all think)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Maybe it''s the Mondays...does she know you''re not married? If she doesn''t know, I''d cut her some slack. If she does know, I''d be annoyed. Surely she understands what it''s like to want to be engaged but not be there yet, and how annoying it is when everybody feels the need to comment on it...

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 2:34:57 PM
Author: misskitty

We just got a wedding invitation in the mail, addressed to Mr. & Mrs. B''sLastName. I think the bride was trying to be cute, but I feel like she really missed the mark. I''m not going to lose sleep over it or anything, but I also don''t think it''s funny or cute -- do I need to just lighten up?

(strongly suspecting that I just have a case of the Mondays, but I''m curious what y''all think)
6.gif

Unless it was from a bride who I was really close with, and we had joked about it in the past or something.... I would not be amused. I would not think it was funny or cute. You are not a Mr and Mrs until you marry, and it''s your decision when and if you do that, and it would annoy me that someone insinuated anything.

But... I''m also crabby as hell today. Maybe it''d be funnier tomorrow.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 2:39:23 PM
Author: elledizzy5

6.gif

Unless it was from a bride who I was really close with, and we had joked about it in the past or something.... I would not be amused. I would not think it was funny or cute. You are not a Mr and Mrs until you marry, and it''s your decision when and if you do that, and it would annoy me that someone insinuated anything.

But... I''m also crabby as hell today. Maybe it''d be funnier tomorrow.
yes.

I''m crabby too, maybe that''s why. Kinda hungover too
40.gif

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 2:38:58 PM
Author: princesss
Maybe it''s the Mondays...does she know you''re not married? If she doesn''t know, I''d cut her some slack. If she does know, I''d be annoyed. Surely she understands what it''s like to want to be engaged but not be there yet, and how annoying it is when everybody feels the need to comment on it...

She knows we''re not married. She''s one of B''s close-ish friends, and even though she''s a nice girl, she seems to put us on the spot about getting engaged whenever we see her.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 2:42:20 PM

She knows we''re not married. She''s one of B''s close-ish friends, and even though she''s a nice girl, she seems to put us on the spot about getting engaged whenever we see her.
Ok, then yeah, out of line. NOT funny at all. Truly in poor taste.
38.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 2:43:59 PM

Ok, then yeah, out of line. NOT funny at all. Truly in poor taste.
38.gif
Big fat ditto. I bet she''s going to whine about people asking, "So when are you going to have a baby?" but not realize she''s doing the same thing.

I say take her out. Bonus points if you do it at the wedding.
11.gif
25.gif

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Part of me wants B to RSVP for just 1, and when he gets the phone call asking why, explain that there is no Mrs. B''sLastName, but he''s bummed that his girlfriend wasn''t invited.

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 2:26:07 PM
Author: vip0802
I should also mention that they snapped their fingers and did the ''come here'' finger gesture to me.

GOOD GOD!!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock

I would be annoyed. When I wanted to be engaged/married but wasn''t there yet it really bothered me and hurt me when people kept asking why we weren''t engaged yet or reminded me that I wasn''t yet. I think I can see why she would think it might be cute, but it would annoy me also.

Bia

Ideal_Rock

Sounds like she was trying to be cute. If she says something, tell her how you feel, otherwise, just roll your eyes and keep it moving.

Definitely in poor taste, but not worth staying angry over.

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 2:54:12 PM
Part of me wants B to RSVP for just 1, and when he gets the phone call asking why, explain that there is no Mrs. B''sLastName, but he''s bummed that his girlfriend wasn''t invited.

Love it! (and I would be totally annoyed.)

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 2:54:56 PM
Author: TopoDazzle

I should also mention that they snapped their fingers and did the ''come here'' finger gesture to me.

GOOD GOD!!

Ew! People who do that shouldn''t be allowed to go out.

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
You should have added a little extra spice to their dipping sauce
31.gif

Ok, ok, just kidding.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 2:58:37 PM
Author: TopoDazzle
You should have added a little extra spice to their dipping sauce
31.gif

Ok, ok, just kidding.
EW!
14.gif

9.gif
11.gif

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 2:55:55 PM
Author: Bia

Sounds like she was trying to be cute. If she says something, tell her how you feel, otherwise, just roll your eyes and keep it moving.

Definitely in poor taste, but not worth staying angry over.

I know. I''m just going to let it go. The sweet potato fries I''m about to eat are going to help get rid of my Mondays
3.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Did I ever tell you ladies...I was a waitress once upon a time. I lasted 3 weeks.

The service industry and myself do not mix well. Unless I''m on the receiving end of course
27.gif
36.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 3:01:28 PM
Did I ever tell you ladies...I was a waitress once upon a time. I lasted 3 weeks.

The service industry and myself do not mix well. Unless I''m on the receiving end of course
27.gif
36.gif
LOL.

Fantastic job, Bia!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 3:05:01 PM

Date: 7/13/2009 3:01:28 PM

27.gif
36.gif
LOL.

Fantastic job, Bia!
thankyou.gif

ha!

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I love how busy this thread is! I''m sorry I didn''t have a chance to read all the new topics, but I need a little mid-day vent about things that are bugging me right now:

1. People that don''t tip! If you can''t afford to tip, don''t eat out!

2. Snooty prissy girls that complain about every little thing and expect to be served like they''re at a 5 star restaurant. Umm, hello! It''s a sports bar! Wings are not meant to be eaten with a fork & knife! edit: I should also mention that they snapped their fingers and did the ''come here'' finger gesture to me. Ok seriously?! I''m not your dog and if you''re gonna be dis-respectful, expect that I''ll do the same back.

3. People that insist on getting a glass of water along with their soda or beer, and then they don''t even touch it.

4. People that call in a to-go order without knowing what they want. Do you really need me to read the whole freakin'' menu over the phone?!

5. The guy that ordered 2lbs of wings and referred to it as: ''2 labels of wings'' instead of 2 pounds.

Ugh, is the day over yet? I hope you all are having a better day!

oh but wait, there''s more!

6. The couple that ate ALL of their food and then complained that they didn''t like it, and refused to pay their bill. After a bit of arguing, I threatened to call the cops for theft of service. They paid but didn''t tip. Cheap bastards!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
2 lables of wings?!?!?!?! was he trying to be funny, or was he just that dumb?

wow.

your customer sound awful, however i am a frequent water glass orderer (with beer and soda). its an ocd thing though. i have to have both available.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 1:11:57 PM
Author: jcarlylew

the dress?

here it is on me. nevermind the poopy face i am making. my mom has a knack for moving the camera right when she is taking a picture when i am making a bad face. go figs.

oh my mom said the BEST thing while dress shopping

''honey, i know this is bad to say..but the girl next to you just did not look good in any of the dresses''

i love my mom.

Ooh i missed this! You look beautiful!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 1:49:58 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
jcar- Yes! I LOVE lacy gowns. I think there is something so romantic and elegant about them!

Topo- Thank you! You must be having a very happy afternoon with that new sparkly ring on hand?
31.gif

Brown.Eyed- I love Chicago! I''m so jealous. Have you gone onto the new glass boxes at the Sears Tower yet?

Happy belated birthday DG! Glad to hear you had a good day! It''s a little weird seeing your new av still - I keep expecting the Tiff one with your pendant
1.gif
I haven''t been to the glass boxes yet though! When were they put up and open to the public? I left for NYC a couple months ago, though I''ve been doing precious little sightseeing around NYC.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 1:52:47 PM
BEG, I''d love it if he could get into Duke. We''d both prefer Virginia, but Duke is one of the MBA programs I''m considering, so that would work out nicely! I guess I just stress over things and instead of researching the options (like a JD/LLM degree), I panic. Basically, moving overseas is my biggest goal. I don''t care about what I do as much as I care where I do it. And BF is happy to move overseas with me, I just panic at any indication that we may not be able to go.

I wish I could PM you - I think Freke has both our contact info? If your BF wants to know anything about applying, or whatever, tell him he''s free to contact me. If he hasn''t checked it out yet, I found lawschooldiscussion.org a good resource (though full of stressed out pre-law crazies like me, lol). And Duke has THE nicest admissions dean EVER...I almost wanted to go there just because he was so awesome. Also, I can get him in touch with my friend at Duke who is doing the JD/LLM program, if you''d like.

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 3:46:32 PM
Author: jcarlylew
2 lables of wings?!?!?!?! was he trying to be funny, or was he just that dumb?

wow.

your customer sound awful, however i am a frequent water glass orderer (with beer and soda). its an ocd thing though. i have to have both available.

Undortunately, he wasn''t trying to be funny. I was like, "ok, you want 2 pounds of wings right?" and he siad, "uhh...yeah that''s what I meant. Oh, can you throw in another label of BBQ wings?". Believe it or not, these people are breeding! Yeah, I don''t mind it when people order water, it''s when they demand it and then don''t touch it. I guess it bugs me because it''s such a waste.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Depends. If it''s one of those days where I really have the LIW itch, I would be annoyed. But if I were in a good mood, and/or it was a good friend, I''d laugh it off

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. Hey, ladies! I haven''t been near a computer for the last 10 days or so, so... this is the first time I''ve signed on since before the 4th. Holy cow. Not sure I''m going to be able to catch up on everything!

Congrats to CK on the new job - really happy for you!
Elle - count me among those who love your wedding band.
JCar - that dress looks absolutely lovely on you!
MissKitty - if I got that invitation, I would probably just be amused by it... unless she''s always making a big deal about it. Then I would be annoyed, but probably wouldn''t say anything about it.
vip - I have to admit that I sometimes do number 3 on your list... but I am a good tipper!!! So maybe that makes up for it??
B.E.G. - umm... I am allergic to cats, but wow - those little cuties are ridiculous! Did I read correctly that you can''t get them?
8.gif

Topo - you got engaged (saw the other thread)! Congrats!

I probably missed a bunch of other stuff... ugh.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 4:06:20 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

BEG, I''d love it if he could get into Duke. We''d both prefer Virginia, but Duke is one of the MBA programs I''m considering, so that would work out nicely! I guess I just stress over things and instead of researching the options (like a JD/LLM degree), I panic. Basically, moving overseas is my biggest goal. I don''t care about what I do as much as I care where I do it. And BF is happy to move overseas with me, I just panic at any indication that we may not be able to go.

I wish I could PM you - I think Freke has both our contact info? If your BF wants to know anything about applying, or whatever, tell him he''s free to contact me. If he hasn''t checked it out yet, I found lawschooldiscussion.org a good resource (though full of stressed out pre-law crazies like me, lol). And Duke has THE nicest admissions dean EVER...I almost wanted to go there just because he was so awesome. Also, I can get him in touch with my friend at Duke who is doing the JD/LLM program, if you''d like.
Thank you! And if your initals are MP, I believe we already have eachother''s info!

I think his biggest hurdle is going to be getting past his GPA. It wasn''t the best...unfortunately he wasn''t as focused as he could have been, and I think he''ll probably pay the price now.
15.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 4:39:22 PM
Date: 7/13/2009 4:06:20 PM

Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

BEG, I'd love it if he could get into Duke. We'd both prefer Virginia, but Duke is one of the MBA programs I'm considering, so that would work out nicely! I guess I just stress over things and instead of researching the options (like a JD/LLM degree), I panic. Basically, moving overseas is my biggest goal. I don't care about what I do as much as I care where I do it. And BF is happy to move overseas with me, I just panic at any indication that we may not be able to go.

I wish I could PM you - I think Freke has both our contact info? If your BF wants to know anything about applying, or whatever, tell him he's free to contact me. If he hasn't checked it out yet, I found lawschooldiscussion.org a good resource (though full of stressed out pre-law crazies like me, lol). And Duke has THE nicest admissions dean EVER...I almost wanted to go there just because he was so awesome. Also, I can get him in touch with my friend at Duke who is doing the JD/LLM program, if you'd like.

Thank you! And if your initals are MP, I believe we already have eachother's info!

I think his biggest hurdle is going to be getting past his GPA. It wasn't the best...unfortunately he wasn't as focused as he could have been, and I think he'll probably pay the price now.
15.gif

SG? If so, message me with more info and I can try to help
1.gif

ETA: Figured it out -sent you a message!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results