shape
carat
color
clarity

The January LIW small talk thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Happy New Year everyone! I thought the December thread went well, so I decided to make a January thread where we can all say little things here and there that don''t really call for their own threads and converse with one another.

For previous conversations you can read them here to continue the conversations over in this thread.
28.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Yay! Thanks for taking on the small talk threads, Dreamgirl! I think that these are such an awesome idea.

I''m off today and snuggling with my kitties--they are super cuddly. Kris is a little bit sad that Bianca doesn''t snuggle with him so much (she''s pretty skittish, especially around big guys). She does let him pet her, though. And Gaffer is just a big lovebug.

In other news, we made our 2009 budget last night. It''s looking like it will be a little while before we get engaged because of finances.
14.gif
Kris was so bummed about it too. He''s frustrated because we were both expecting to have a ring at this point thanks to his grandmother and the fact that it wasn''t what either of us were expecting really threw a wrench in the plans. I know he really wanted to propose this summer and he''s upset that he can''t.

It''s just frustrating. I wish that the money was there, but it really isn''t, especially since the first half of the year will be all about paying off debt. Yuck.
7.gif
I know that if we hadn''t moved, the debt (his from grad school) would be payed off by now, and I''m glad we did move, but it''s still just frustrating. I feel like we have all these grand plans and even though we''re working really hard, it''s going to be a while because money is holding us back.

OK, so that turned into a little bit of a vent. Sorry about that--it''s just been on my mind lately.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I hear you on the money thing! No worries about the venting at all! On New Year's Eve S and I were talking about how 2008 went and looking forward to 2009! We toasted the new year and I told him he will certainly find a better job in '09!!! He said "I hope so!" with the money he makes now, he uses most of it for bills so he can't really save much. (Can't save much=no ring) lol! He saves everything he can, he isn't a big spender at all. Luckily we don't have any debts. He is also worried about after getting a better job- he would be the first to be let go because he'd be "the new guy" vs. the job he is at now he has been there almost the longest (9 years.) I worry a little bit about that at my new job as well.

Yesterday, I told him about (as far as I go) how I really want to/am going to save most of the money I'm making (because I'm in a situation where I have the opportunity to do so) and I plan on using that money for a good house someday (he said "YES! A good down payment would be awesome") I'm so picky that there is a certain type of house I love but it doesn't come cheap....I also want to save it for future vacations and I told him "our wedding rings"
31.gif
Because I really think that after we are engaged...bla bla then I could buy the wedding bands..(maybe) but I'd have the money saved for it.

2008 was a incredibly BIG year for us. He FINALLY graduated with his BS, I got laid off my terrible job, we looked at rings, we looked at homes (just for fun though), I got a way better job than I had before, and we celebrated our 10 year anniversary. I am so much better off right now than I was at this time last year and so greatful for that.

2009 should be a VERY interesting year for me and S...............

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock

I just want to chat so here it goes...

I''m so excited for this year... it''s looking very promising for me to pay off some of my debt as well... and although boyfriend and I live together we don''t really mix finances so I''m not really sure where he is standing (he did pay off a credit card last year ), but hopefully he''ll be able to put some moneys away for a ring. I think that making a budget would be a fun adventure for us!!! I''ll see if that''s something he might like to do....

My year started off fantastic!!! A glass of pink champagne, and a kiss from the boy I love and being surrounded by family... yesterday although rocky was amazing... I got a new camera for x-mas and I thought that I had lost it at the bar the day after x-mas (I know, not very responsible, which is why I was so upset because I never loose anything and am usually very responsible). and yesterday afternoon I was going to download some applications for my iPod and under my computer (which was on a blanket in my room) was my camera, don''t know how it got there but it was and I was ecstatic!!! however, I was sooo excited that I ran out the door to let everyone know (I live above my parents garage) and I slipped and fell and bruised my knee pretty bad, but the pain is nothing as I was sooo overjoyed with my great news!!!

And to finish off a great day my boy and I cuddled and watched wedding shows all night long under a blanket with a nice big fire going...

I hope everyday is just as great!!!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Hope you ladies have a wonderful year!

LadyP...that's really great that you and Kris are responsible enough to set your yearly budget and realize that other things are just going to have to wait. It happens but believe me that really goes a long way! I have our 5 year financial plan mapped out and it helps because each year we know what we are getting ourselves into. FI can finally buy a new car and when he heard that from me, I swear it looked like he was about to cry LOL

As for me I hate my boss today. Everyone is leaving early. Except for me. Apparently we have a lot of stuff to get done today. So what does he do? Goes to the gym for nearly 2 hours. Then he comes back and asks if I finished what I needed to finish.

Um, yes. 2 hours ago while you were at the gym thank you very much
29.gif

ETA: And he's spent the last 15 minutes eating and chatting with the guys about the tickets he has won

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Fiery, that just stinks! Booo. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know that in the long run it is the responsible thing to do but at the same time it is just frustrating. I wish that we could get engaged, buy a house, etc. all right now and instead we're sort of on hold waiting to make enough money to do those things.

They don't tell you when you're in school how hard it is to make a good living--at least we're not planning on kids for another 5 years or so--there's no way we could afford to have any right now.
3.gif

Dreamgirl, good luck with saving and I hope this year is just wonderful for you!

ILoveSpinel, I'm glad you had a great new years eve and yay for finding your camera!!!

ETA: Has someone messaged the mods and asked them to make this thread sticky instead of the December one?

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
IloveSpinel- S and I don't mix finances either. We don't live together so why should we? But I do think that the money I make and save is for "us" in the future...

fieryred- Thank you! I hope you have a wonderful year as well! We all know you will
2.gif

ladypirate- Thank you and you too!! Also, I did send a message do the mods about this Jan. thread replacing the Dec. thread.

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
fieryred my boss came in today and said she wished we couldve stayed closed two more days (we''re open saturdays as well). She owns the business... she couldve kept it closed two more days!!! Ugh, its just one of those things that you shouldnt do/say as a boss.

I''ve been dying to post today!
1.gif
But now I can''t make a real post
7.gif
cuz my camera is out of batteries
14.gif

So here is my unoffical post. Still not engaged.. butttt I got a sparklie today!! I got a new pendant!
5.gif
It''s .255 ct but pretty! I will post soon, and hopefully with all of my other sparkles!
19.gif

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
has anyone seen any good movies lately? SO and I are kids at heart - I told him I''d wait for him to see any kids movies that came out while he was on deployment BUT I bought Meet the Robinson''s with my roommate last week and it was very cute and funny, we''ve watched it 3 times. If anyone else enjoys animated cute flicks I recommend it!

JR320

Shiny_Rock
I''ll jump in-

I truly had a fabulous and happy 2008, which was really fun to realize on new years eve this year, following three particularly challenging years. My mom passed away in 2005 and I finally ended an unhappy, unhealthy 6 year relationship in jan. of 2007. But then I finished my master''s degree, moved to a new city, started my career, AND met my FF by the time fall 2007 rolled around. I rang in 2008 with him and enjoyed growing through 4 seasons with him. I''ve also grown stronger roots into my profession and acquired multiple new friendships this year. It looks like 2009 will bring lots of changes and excitement - I''m anticipating both an engagement and a wedding this year.

Finances are always so tricky. I''m waiting to get my first paycheck of ''09 to determine exactly what my take-home pay will be this year so I can finalize my ''09 budget. I''m excited that there will actually be money left over this year to save/pay down school debt! My FF makes significantly more money than I do (We don''t live together or share finances), but I''ve been trying to get him to let me contribute to the cost of the ring. He consistently refuses and insists that it is "a matter of honor." I''m fiercely independent and just have trouble accepting such an expensive gift - SO, I''m thinking about buying him an "engagement TV" with some money I have socked away (which I''ve mentioned to him and he doesn''t want me to spend money on... haha) for his new house (which he closed on Dec. 30!)
36.gif

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
Who else will be tuning in for The Bachelor tonight? SO has plans, too, so I get the TV all to myself!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 5:45:21 PM
Author: SailorsSweet<3
has anyone seen any good movies lately?
Yesterday S and I saw Marley and Me. It was a very VERY good movie. We enjoyed it. I've been told several times to read the book which I never had a chance to do. My Mom has wanted to get me the book for several years but hasn't done so yet. So I was excited when it came out because I really wanted to see it. We were going to go on New Year's Day but some other things came up and then we finally got to see it yesterday.

I'm not sure how much I should say about the movie other than it was wonderful.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2009 10:22:46 AM
Author: absolut_blonde
Who else will be tuning in for The Bachelor tonight? SO has plans, too, so I get the TV all to myself!
MEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! I love watching The Bachelor. I never miss a season. My Mom is going to watch tonight with me because she watched part of Deanna's season and thought D should have chosen Jason.

Only thing is, its on for 2 hours so I will watch the first half and record the second half tonight and watch that tomorrow sometime or later in the week.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
While we''re at it... I guess I''ll give the low down on my 2008 and what I hope for in 2009...

In 2008 FI and I bought our home. It was so exciting to become homeowners, especially since he was so young when it happened. I know his parents were proud that at 21 he owned a house, had no debt, and a good job. I am proud of him too. He does so much for our little family at his young age. I look forward to when I graduate and can contribute as much as he does.

He graduated with his BS and found a job before he graduated. I expect to graduate with my PhD this year. I can''t wait. I think I''ve grown out of the student thing.

We got engaged on Thanksgiving Day. I know I will still be a fiance come 2010 because we don''t plan on getting married until May or June of 2010. The urgent goal of the moment is to set that date so we can start working on the rest!

We adopted a kitten, Charlie. He is at times a complete jerk of a cat but other times he is affectionate and playful and entertaining. We enjoy him thoroughly and he gives us many laughs. My older cat Emma is still my little princess. I''m hoping we will have at least 5 more good years with her though I have noticed her age more and more since we got Charlie.

We have our first big vacation together in September. We are traveling to the Cook Islands to attend my cousin''s beach wedding. We are staying for almost 2 weeks. Our lodging is a beach side bungalow!!

As for personal goals in 2009:
- I hope to train and compete in a few sprint distance triathlons. I''ve been having a more and more difficult time getting myself to the gym. Maybe if I have this goal looming overhead I will be more active. Not to mention the bonus of looking my best in a wedding gown.

- I hope to learn how to take better care of my gardens. It was tough last season since we moved into the house in June and didn''t really have time to tend to the gardens until late July. I don''t want to be the most scraggly looking house on the block!

- I want to become more actively involved with the alumni chapter of my sorority and the charity events that they do.

Author: SailorsSweethas anyone seen any good movies lately? SO and I are kids at heart - I told him I''d wait for him to see any kids movies that came out while he was on deployment BUT I bought Meet the Robinson''s with my roommate last week and it was very cute and funny, we''ve watched it 3 times. If anyone else enjoys animated cute flicks I recommend it!
BOLT is ADORABLE! Bf and I saw it in the theaters, we were the only ones there. It''s sooo so sooo cute. We had some good laughs.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2009 12:54:56 PM
Author: Dreamgirl

Yesterday S and I saw Marley and Me. It was a very VERY good movie. We enjoyed it. I''ve been told several times to read the book which I never had a chance to do. My Mom has wanted to get me the book for several years but hasn''t done so yet. So I was excited when it came out because I really wanted to see it. We were going to go on New Year''s Day but some other things came up and then we finally got to see it yesterday.

I''m not sure how much I should say about the movie other than it was wonderful.
Yes! Read the book, so many things from the movie will make sense. It''s always sad to see movies made from books, because they have to leave out so much stuff. Boo. But it was still cute...and made me really want a dog. LOL...

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Yay small talk! Speaking of dogs...the breeder we've been talking to for months just emailed today to let us know that there will be a litter of puppies by this spring! So excited :)

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
My roommate went to see Marley and Me and loveeeed it. I definitely have to read the book before I see the movie.

misskitty what kind of puppies are you looking into? When I bought SO his Corgi puppy the breeder posted picture updates of her every two weeks or so - it was like adopting a child! haha We cooed every time a new picture was posted on the website.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
SailorsSweet<3, we''re getting a pug, and it might be born on Valentine''s Day!
Our breeder is just like that, too! She emails weekly pictures while the puppies are with her (we can take ours home after 8-10 weeks), and we''ve been cooing over the older puppy pics on her website and wondering what ours will look like. Bonus: she''s relatively local, so we can stop by to visit our pup and get a feel for its personality. Plus, she stays connected to the people who get pugs from her, and sometimes organizes little "family reunion" meetups so local pugs can play with their brothers and sisters.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 12:34:39 AM
Author: sunnyd

Yesterday S and I saw Marley and Me. It was a very VERY good movie. We enjoyed it. I''ve been told several times to read the book which I never had a chance to do. My Mom has wanted to get me the book for several years but hasn''t done so yet. So I was excited when it came out because I really wanted to see it. We were going to go on New Year''s Day but some other things came up and then we finally got to see it yesterday.

I''m not sure how much I should say about the movie other than it was wonderful.
Yes! Read the book, so many things from the movie will make sense. It''s always sad to see movies made from books, because they have to leave out so much stuff. Boo. But it was still cute...and made me really want a dog. LOL...
I''ll have to do that! It was so good. Especially after growing up with my little doggie for 16 years. She passed away in 2005. It''s still so hard for me.....Very easy to relate to if you''ve had a dog or have one.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is getting really, really good reviews. I haven''t seen it yet, but really look forward to catching it this weekend. In other news, I''ve been getting really addicted to House (M.D.), which I only started watching during the holidays and now I''m TiVo''ing all the reruns and catching up.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 12:14:07 PM

Date: 1/6/2009 12:34:39 AM
Author: sunnyd

I''ll have to do that! It was so good. Especially after growing up with my little doggie for 16 years. She passed away in 2005. It''s still so hard for me.....Very easy to relate to if you''ve had a dog or have one.
I have heard that the book is a tearjerker and a half....my BF''s SIL said she was bawling when she read the book...like, ugly tears bawling! I''ve heard good things about the movie too but I agree with everyone that the book is always better! I''m like SailorSweet, I have to read the book first, which is how I got hooked on Harry Potter! Twilight is all the rage right now (especially with all of the 30+ y.o. women I hang out with!) so I may have to jump on that bandwagon...
3.gif

All this talk about puppies is really making me want one! I never grew up with a dog and never wanted one until now... I''ve mentioned before that BF asked for a puppy in exchange for my proposal...maybe this has to do with my sudden desire to want a puppy?!?!?
2.gif

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
A friend just lent me the first twilight but Im taking an online winter class so I dont want to start it if I'll be addicted. Everyone I KNOW who's read it hasn't been able to STOP reading it. Isnt that crazy? Has anyone read it and NOT liked it, or heard of someone who hasn't liked it? It'd be refreshing to hear! haha

sammyj I say go for it! Although puppies can be like having babies, especially if they're certain breeds, its a great bond. All I've really regretted is not considering how much time I really do spend away from the house when I'm at school or working. Thankfully, I have my brothers home when they're not in college and my best friend lives with me at the moment so she's in and out more often then I am since she's not juggling too much. Although... if your BF would be contributing to the $$$ it takes to buy/adopt the puppy and then get all his shots and vet visits and supplies it might actually delay that engagement ring so I'd say plan to get the puppy AFTER you get some bling on the finger.
3.gif

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
What the HECK is up with Cara (I think that''s her name) on Momma''s Boys? Da HELL? Like, SERIOUSLY????
20.gif

I just tuned into this show for the first time and I am HOWLING! Like is this a joke?

I think my new favorite funny quote of the year will be....

"I DIDN''T EVEN GET A DATE"

DAYUM, ole girl look she bout to murda somebody up the mansion!

Bwahahahahaha!

~SL.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2009 10:17:51 PM
A friend just lent me the first twilight but Im taking an online winter class so I dont want to start it if I''ll be addicted. Everyone I KNOW who''s read it hasn''t been able to STOP reading it. Isnt that crazy? Has anyone read it and NOT liked it, or heard of someone who hasn''t liked it? It''d be refreshing to hear! haha

sammyj I say go for it! Although puppies can be like having babies, especially if they''re certain breeds, its a great bond. All I''ve really regretted is not considering how much time I really do spend away from the house when I''m at school or working. Thankfully, I have my brothers home when they''re not in college and my best friend lives with me at the moment so she''s in and out more often then I am since she''s not juggling too much. Although... if your BF would be contributing to the $$$ it takes to buy/adopt the puppy and then get all his shots and vet visits and supplies it might actually delay that engagement ring so I''d say plan to get the puppy AFTER you get some bling on the finger.
3.gif
SailorSweet, everything I''ve heard about Twilight has been the exact same (ie. they love it, the love story is so intense, it''s addictive...)! My BF''s SIL read the whole series in 8 days. I forget how many books there are...4 or 5? I just finished reading Testimony by Anita Shreve for my book club and I have a couple of other books to get through before I can commit to a series!

About the puppy, what my BF said was "Within 4 months of me proposing, I want you to buy me a puppy." I know that doesn''t sound too sweet, but it was. I figure buying/adopting a puppy will only be a fraction of the cost of my ring....and a puppy would make him the happiest guy ever...so I''m more than willing to shell out the money. I would love to adopt a rescue dog, but since my BF has grown up with purebreds that his family has raised from puppies, I think he''d rather go with the latter. Our top breed choices are (mini) Goldendoodles and Wheaten Terriers...fun, active, playful, smart, NON-SHEDDING dogs!

SparklyLibra...I didn''t watch Momma''s Boys...I couldn''t bear to after watching part of the first episode. One of the girls was on Paris Hilton''s My New BFF...enough said!
3.gif

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
I watched the new season of Biggest Loser last night.... that show has been a real inspiration to me... the last season was the first one I watched... but it makes me want to get out there and exercise... and I''ve been doing really good!!! I''m at a loss of 25 lbs since Sept 2008... and plan to make it 30 by my birthday at the end of this month!!! So no more left over holiday candy, took it to work and now it''s gone... and no soda, coffee, fast food, low sugar and carbs. Lots of veggies and fruit and even more water and exercise...

I know I can do it, and I want to because I want to look good in a wedding dress when the time comes (hopefully by the end of the year!).
28.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2009 11:56:03 AM
Author: ILoveSpinel
I watched the new season of Biggest Loser last night.... that show has been a real inspiration to me... the last season was the first one I watched... but it makes me want to get out there and exercise... and I''ve been doing really good!!! I''m at a loss of 25 lbs since Sept 2008... and plan to make it 30 by my birthday at the end of this month!!! So no more left over holiday candy, took it to work and now it''s gone... and no soda, coffee, fast food, low sugar and carbs. Lots of veggies and fruit and even more water and exercise...

I know I can do it, and I want to because I want to look good in a wedding dress when the time comes (hopefully by the end of the year!).
28.gif
That''s awesome, ILS! Congratulations on losing all of that weight!

FF and I did the "30 Day Shred" video with one of the trainers from Biggest loser. We did it on Monday, and I am still ridiculously sore! It kicked my @$$!

I''m also on the 1200 calories, no soda, lots of water diet. Doing good so far. Looking to lose about 10-15 pounds. Mostly vanity weight and toning, but I will feel so much better when it''s gone.

Good luck!!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to join in on the small talk if that''s ok, I''m just rather bored with work and can''t focus, and it''ll give me something to do in off time too :)

As for 2008, I was really pleased with the year. I hit my main goal which was to lose weight, I lost 39lbs!! I''m down to 111 and really happy with it. I plan to do toning and am going to continue to jog because I''ve found that I really love it when I do it. 2008 also brought me a new car which I can actually plan on having long term. Although I''m now in debt for it, I can make a plan for myself to work on paying it off and I have a very low interest loan which will help in the long run. The only thing I wish I had been more enlightened about in 2008 was saving money. I now have learned a great deal about ways to cut corners and save. I won''t pay full price for clothes or shoes at this point, unless I just HAVE to have them for something. I also have discovered the joy of couponing and am experimenting with that with a friend of mine. Unfortunately SO''s crazy ex also made a come back in 2008 which we aren''t happy about and are still currently dealing with. The girl is crazy and has some malicious thing for me.

In 2009 I''d like to see myself save more money as well as So. I think we''ll definitely make progress with this as we have actual solid plans on doing so. I''d also like to get my 5year old gelding finished for games and overall riding. I''d like to be able to do english and western with him and I think he''s got the talent to do it. I also want to get myself really organized. I want to get really toned too.

SO is at the doctor''s now, he is starting with my family practitioner which I''m happy about.

Crazy Ex is on the run again, she apparently used my friends'' sister''s phone minutes all up in texts. She is apparently bisexual and dating their step sister now. JOY.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I love the biggest loser too, and watched it last night. It inspired me to lose my 39lbs, which I did from Jan 2008- now. From here I plan to tone but that show changed my life. I''m so excited for this season and I hope the biggest guy does well, he wants it so badly. I love the old man.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results