shape
carat
color
clarity

sign me up?

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
I hadn't ventured over to this side of the forum yet but now I've found it i think i ought to be on the list too!

my partner and i have been together for 7 years. He was expected to have a traditional indian arranged marriage so i was a secret for the first 6 years! I'm a white Aussie by the way. after we told his parents i existed it was another 6 months before they wanted to meet me. so at the moment we have booked a wedding in australia for October 2013 and a wedding in India for August 2013 but alas so far there has been no ring and no proposal!. we will be coming to the US to find an OEC engagment ring and then SO says he will propose in his own time! hopefully before the engagment party with 500 guests (475 will likely be FMIL's indian community) that has been booked for April 6.

so we're doing it all out of order but tecnically i havent had a proposal or a ring so i can join right??? :confused: :twirl:

I'm getting very frustrated by the suspense and my friends and colleagues saying he ought to have put a ring on it by now! i thinks its certainly overdue

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
Welcome! You are definitely a lady in waiting - more so than many I would say! Whereabouts in Australia are you from? I'm in Perth :)
I hope you get your proposal soon, I can imagine it would be quite frustrating for you. I also hope his parents are accepting of you now :)

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
I'm on the Sunshine coast Queensland :) I'm surprised how many PS'rs are in perth.

yes his family are great now! his cousin just graduated from med recently and I'm in all the family pictures which i was very surprised about. although they do make us sleep in separate rooms when we visit despite the fact we've been living together since day 1! to the point where my partner has to fight on my behalf that i still get to have a bed to myself as the women in a family might share a bed. I'm waaay too english for that! the women are very excited to have me in a big extended family that only ever had boys. so they want to dress me up, buy me indian jewellery for the indian wedding and teach me how to cook. we half thought they would disown him altogether so we are pretty lucky that they have accepted me so well!

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
That's great! I used to work with two Indian (both born in the UK but very traditional Indian) girls, both of whom got married while we worked together and I think you will be in for a treat with your Indian wedding! The weddings looked AMAZING, huge parties with over 600 guests!! And boy did they clean up with the presents! I don't know too much about it but it seemed like traditions meant they were given massive amounts of money, jewellery, even gold bars. One of the girls was given a block of land to build their house on from a family member!! I loved the sound of all the traditions and family values, very different from most Australians but very cool.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Welcome! I think you definitely belong here :wavey: There doesn't seem to be a "right" order of doing things anymore, so you are certainly not alone. Your future wedding sounds amazing!! One of the girls in my class had a big Indian wedding last summer and the pictures looked so wonderful. It is great that your future family is so accepting instead of upset that their darling son didn't want to go through with the arranged marriage!! Everything sounds peachy so far hehe. Do you know what kind of ring you want?

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Hippi Pixi~ Welcome! Sounds like you guys have lots planned! That's wonderful.

I think its sweet that he wants to surprise you even though you have everything all planned. :bigsmile:

There is no 'normal' way of doing things. SO and I are planning a totally different ceremony and wedding BBQ. Do what makes you and your SO happy! :naughty:

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
You are definitely a LIW - and it looks like your stay will be super short and sweet!

I love Indian weddings. :love:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey HP! :wavey: Glad you decided to join! In fact, when you come to LA for your SingleStone visit, you should totally hit me up :)) and we can grab coffee or lunch! I'm a huge foodie, so I know all the best places in LA, aka not the chain restaurants.

My SO is Paki, and all his friends are Paki or Indian, so I know how those south Asian weddings go! Luckily, SO was firm with his dad when they talked about us getting engaged. NO BIG WEDDINGS. NO 5 DAY WEDDINGS. NO! He's still holding me to having some sort of thingumabob, but ultimately, I'd like to elope abroad.

I can also relate on the planning of weddings without being engaged. SO and I are not engaged, but in their (and our, I'm partially Chinese) cultures, they don't count themselves as engaged until they have an engagement party. The families agree on the upcoming wedding, then there's an engagement party to announce an engagement and gift each other engagement jewelry, and BAM, you're engaged. It's the western tradition of a proposal that throws the cultural tradition out of the loop! And yes, planning occurs BEFORE the engagement most times, lol!! It's kind of just a moosh of confusion when the two cultures get clashed. I really do hope you'll enjoy your wedding in India. I have always wanted to attend a full blown dramatic week long Indian wedding, but alas, until SO and I are married, he is single, and I do not go with their family. ;(

I also can't wait to see what awesome high KT YG jewelry they gift you. I have a thread, so you MUST return to contribute! PROMISE ME! I love high KT YG, and there aren't many people on PS who have them to post :sick:

Have you planned your Indian dress(es)? I'm not a big fan of red or dark pink for the wedding garb, so I had been searching for a white one that doesn't look TOO forced-Western. I found this one, and I am in :love: http://www.maharaniweddings.com/2011/11/bengali-indian-wedding-by-tara-sharma-photography/ Please tell me you'll be doing a mehendi ceremony, too!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, forgot to say, I'll add you to our list during our next update in a few days :wavey:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1357674180|3350435 said:
Hey HP! :wavey: Glad you decided to join! In fact, when you come to LA for your SingleStone visit, you should totally hit me up :)) and we can grab coffee or lunch! I'm a huge foodie, so I know all the best places in LA, aka not the chain restaurants.

My SO is Paki, and all his friends are Paki or Indian, so I know how those south Asian weddings go! Luckily, SO was firm with his dad when they talked about us getting engaged. NO BIG WEDDINGS. NO 5 DAY WEDDINGS. NO! He's still holding me to having some sort of thingumabob, but ultimately, I'd like to elope abroad.

I can also relate on the planning of weddings without being engaged. SO and I are not engaged, but in their (and our, I'm partially Chinese) cultures, they don't count themselves as engaged until they have an engagement party. The families agree on the upcoming wedding, then there's an engagement party to announce an engagement and gift each other engagement jewelry, and BAM, you're engaged. It's the western tradition of a proposal that throws the cultural tradition out of the loop! And yes, planning occurs BEFORE the engagement most times, lol!! It's kind of just a moosh of confusion when the two cultures get clashed. I really do hope you'll enjoy your wedding in India. I have always wanted to attend a full blown dramatic week long Indian wedding, but alas, until SO and I are married, he is single, and I do not go with their family. ;(

I also can't wait to see what awesome high KT YG jewelry they gift you. I have a thread, so you MUST return to contribute! PROMISE ME! I love high KT YG, and there aren't many people on PS who have them to post :sick:

Have you planned your Indian dress(es)? I'm not a big fan of red or dark pink for the wedding garb, so I had been searching for a white one that doesn't look TOO forced-Western. I found this one, and I am in :love: http://www.maharaniweddings.com/2011/11/bengali-indian-wedding-by-tara-sharma-photography/ Please tell me you'll be doing a mehendi ceremony, too!

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that. I only learned about the Chinese approach to engagements/weddings this year with my cousin who is super traditional and did it that way a few months ago back in Taiwan. So by that definition, I am right on with planning before I am engaged! Whoo! :lickout:

That white dress is GORGEOUS!!! Please fill us in on all the details HP...we can only imagine so much!! :bigsmile:

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
Philly McGee i sure there will be hundreds of people there but i wont know any of them and they will only speak telugu the local dialect that i can't speak at all! I've tried to pick it up but i just dont have the head for languages it seems. I think i actually gravitated towards my partner because of his indian culture and the fact that family comes first. his family values are wonderful

Pandabee thanks for your warm welcome :) my friends ahve been saying lately why hasn't he put a ring on it, little did they know we had 2 weddings and a 500person engagement already booked! we tried to keep the secret until we had a ring and a proposal but broke the news to everyone at new years. the fact my partner didn't have an arranged marriage is slightly touchy when it comes to who pays for what. if i had been indian my family would have paid for everything! but alas im not so my family will pay for the australian wedding and his will pay for the indian wedding I'm spending all of our budget on an antique diamond so will have to go for a very simple temporary setting until the wallet recovers. I have a thread going in the antique jewellery section :)

Antique sparkler my partner is the worst when it comes to planning! he is full of good intentions and has no follow through. i asked him late 2012 when do you see us getting married and he said mid 2013 so i thought bloody hell i better get started!

Chewbacca i hope my stay is short and sweet! I'm not sure if I am excited or nervous for the indian wedding. It will be very exciting and a spectacular experience but i won't know what anyone is saying and I just know i will get delhi belly. the ceremonies go for hours each and the guy leading them and telling us what to do wont speak english!

Madelise i didn't know you were listkeeper! after discovering what this section of the forum was i still didn't get what the list or list keeper was! i hope we do get to meet with you in LA. we will be there Feb 15, 16, 17 and again for a day on the 1st of March on our way home. hopefully by the time we stop for the day march 1 i will have bling to share! i would love any tips you have for places to visit as I have no time available to plan sightseeing. Your situation does sound so similar to mine I'm starting to wish i could elope but my parents did that ack in the 70's so i am expressly forbidden! The day i met my partners family they did give me some indian engagement jewellery which i will have to post soon and our dads discussed weddings straight up.

I've been organising the wedding jewellery with them over the last few months and as my FMIL insisted on them being covered in small diamonds i insisted they be 100% white gold. i hate the 2 tone metal look which i would have ended up with if it had been yellow gold and diamonds. the traditional stuff will be high karat gold though and i will post that after august. i personally preferred the high karat yellow gold look either just gold or gold and colored gemstones for the wedding but my FMIL is obsessed with diamonds so white gold it had to be. my future extended family is visiting india as we speak and are buying Sari's for me. i suggested that typically red orange and yellow wouldn't suit me as i have red hair but otherwise i will just leave it up to them. they are paying for it all so i keep suggesting simpler plainer things which they hate because its not flashy enough! so i'm butting out and letting them get whatever they like

i promise to take heaps of photos of the jewellery and weddings and post them on here :) i will take some photos of the engagement jewellery soon. its fabulous because it is a gold and diamonds pendant and earrings. each with a centre and dangling colored stone. and there are 6 sets of colored stones that can be changed so it can be made to suit any sari. unfortunately the colored stones are synthetic which is why i haven't made a thread for it yet. apparantly this in standard in india to use synthetic colored stones

phew what a long post! time for bed methinks

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock
Welcome!! That is sooo cool. One of my good friends from high school is Indian and her wedding was soooo beautiful!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hippi_pixi|1357728900|3351120 said:
Madelise i didn't know you were listkeeper! after discovering what this section of the forum was i still didn't get what the list or list keeper was! i hope we do get to meet with you in LA. we will be there Feb 15, 16, 17 and again for a day on the 1st of March on our way home. hopefully by the time we stop for the day march 1 i will have bling to share! i would love any tips you have for places to visit as I have no time available to plan sightseeing. Your situation does sound so similar to mine I'm starting to wish i could elope but my parents did that ack in the 70's so i am expressly forbidden! The day i met my partners family they did give me some indian engagement jewellery which i will have to post soon and our dads discussed weddings straight up.

I've been organising the wedding jewellery with them over the last few months and as my FMIL insisted on them being covered in small diamonds i insisted they be 100% white gold. i hate the 2 tone metal look which i would have ended up with if it had been yellow gold and diamonds. the traditional stuff will be high karat gold though and i will post that after august. i personally preferred the high karat yellow gold look either just gold or gold and colored gemstones for the wedding but my FMIL is obsessed with diamonds so white gold it had to be. my future extended family is visiting india as we speak and are buying Sari's for me. i suggested that typically red orange and yellow wouldn't suit me as i have red hair but otherwise i will just leave it up to them. they are paying for it all so i keep suggesting simpler plainer things which they hate because its not flashy enough! so i'm butting out and letting them get whatever they like

i promise to take heaps of photos of the jewellery and weddings and post them on here :) i will take some photos of the engagement jewellery soon. its fabulous because it is a gold and diamonds pendant and earrings. each with a centre and dangling colored stone. and there are 6 sets of colored stones that can be changed so it can be made to suit any sari. unfortunately the colored stones are synthetic which is why i haven't made a thread for it yet. apparantly this in standard in india to use synthetic colored stones

phew what a long post! time for bed methinks

If you're available March 1, that'd be great! I am going to post up a listing on LoupeTroop soon, since I have a few things to sell to fund my new purchase, so you can contact me there. I'll post a link here when I get to it.

Where in specific will you be in Los Angeles? LA is ginormous, with Orange County not too far away for Disneyland if you want to do that. If you tell me a specific location, I can give you a bunch of places. Types of food? Things you want to do and see? Beverly Hills and Downtown LA is great for a brunch since there are really nice patio areas for food, and lots and lots of jewelry places nearby :naughty: If you have a chance you should totally go to Jewelry District to go browsing. There's this fabulous place WebDiva rec'd me, called PERCH, which is a rooftop bar and restaurant right in the center of Downtown Los Angeles. http://perchla.com/gallery.html I have been there for dinner, but not for brunch. I hear their Sunday brunch is fantastic. But yes, let me know where you're going to be centered at and I'll fine-tune some recommendations for you. LA is just gigantic and traffic-y. Someone a 5 miles away can take over half an hour to drive to.

Things sound like they're going fabulously for you and your future in law's. I think you can still post your engagement jewelry, even with the synthetic colored stones? Since it's gold and diamonds? If they're lab created, they're allowed to be discussed, and if it's glass or plastic, you can just say "glass or plastic". I believe the only things not allowed to be discussed is like diamond simulants that are "illegal" here on PS because it's against the purpose of PS and its advertising vendors. If you want to share any other pictures, I'd love to see, too! ::)

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
Hello hippi, and welcome! May your stay be short and sweet! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results