shape
carat
color
clarity

*Ring Preferences 2011 Edition*

false

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Something for us LIW to talk about--- the RINGS we are waiting for! :appl: :)

I found this older thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ring-preferences.120793/ & like the format so I'm copying it. :naughty:

Let's discuss & post pics!!

1) Do you know what kind of engagement ring you want? Diamond (or other stone), size, shape, metal type, side stones vs. solitaire, etc.? Post some pictures!

2) Does your FF know what you want? If not, will you tell him/give him some ideas, or leave it all up to him to choose?

3) Will you/Did you go ring shopping with him?

4) Do you have an idea of what his budget is?

5) How about a wedding band? What do you like? Do you want it to be part of a matching set with the e-ring?

6) Wedding band for you guy? Do you know what he likes? Do you want it to match your ring?

7) Finally - what don''t you like when it comes to rings! For your engagement ring, for your wedding ring or for his wedding ring! And it''s okay to be honest. We all have different tastes, likes/dislikes, etc.

ZKS

Rough_Rock
1) Do you know what kind of engagement ring you want? Diamond (or other stone), size, shape, metal type, side stones vs. solitaire, etc.? Post some pictures!

I am very traditional in my tastes I would like a round brilliant cut diamond set with 6 claws. We have discussed about 3ct+ SI clarity and at least F colour (I am very colour sensitive). I like white gold and I would like the band to be 3/4 pave about 2mm. I would like the same head as the classic tiffany setting but with a pave band essentially. That is how I explain it to him and have taken inspiration from many of the gorgeous rings on PS.

Here like Mara's: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/download/file.php?id=66653']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/download/file.php?id=66653[/URL]

2) Does your FF know what you want? If not, will you tell him/give him some ideas, or leave it all up to him to choose?

As per above, I have many pictures and I have discussed it with him in depth. Whether that's the direction he goes is up to him :)

I would like to, but I think he is more traditional in that sense. If he has exact measurements, and my preferences on the 4cs then I think it will probably turn out just as I hope.

This is a hard question, I am not really sure. I know that he wants me to be happy and we both like around the 3-4ct range on my hand.

5) How about a wedding band? What do you like? Do you want it to be part of a matching set with the e-ring?

I would like to have two that match the band of my e-ring so 3/4 pave 2mm bands.

6) Wedding band for you guy? Do you know what he likes? Do you want it to match your ring?[/b]

He will have a very simple white gold band. I would like something modern maybe brushed not too sure. Nothing too fussy he is a very manly man.

7) Finally - what don''t you like when it comes to rings! For your engagement ring, for your wedding ring or for his wedding ring! And it''s okay to be honest. We all have different tastes, likes/dislikes, etc.

I don't like heart, emerald, asscher, radiant, trillion, oval or marquise shapes for me personally. I have some absolutely beautiful ones but they just don't suit me. I most definitely wouldn't want yellow gold, that is not to say I don't love yellow gold as a lot of my delicate jewellery is yellow gold but my prescious jewellery is all white gold and I would like to stick to that. I also don't want a chunky band or thick and prominent claws, I want very fine and delicate claws (safety first though) like tear drops or eagles talons shaped (that's how my family friend who is a jeweller described them haha). I also don't particularly want 4 claws for safety and also the fact that it gives the stone a squarish look. I think i'd prefer a cushion cut if I was going for that more square look.

jlp86

Shiny_Rock

Yes, it took me forever to figure it out without actually going and browsing some stores. We inherited a .98ct diamond from his grandmother, it is a brilliant cut. This is what I wanted so it was perfect! The setting that I want is a three stone set in white gold with a single row of pave diamonds that go halfway on the shank (so not completely underneath).

Here is a picture of the designer e-ring that we based my custom off of: http://www.ritani.com/diamond_engagement_rings/item/440/in_collection/1

We are making a few modifications though.

Yes he knows exactly what I want because we went together to pick it out and its currently being custom made!

Yes I did go shopping with him. I wanted it all to be a surprise but now I am very happy that we did this together. All of the things I liked based on online pictures I did not like on my finger, so going shopping with him helped a lot!

We had a pretty small budget before we knew that his grandmother was giving us a diamond. Since that was given to us all we had left was the setting. We really hadn't set too much of a budget, just knew that we would rather not spend a fortune since we want to buy a house soon. When we went shopping we decided to stay below 2k on the setting.

I am horrible with the mm for widths, however I want a band on the thinner side (that matches the thickness of the setting possibly). I want a single row of pave diamonds that go halfway around.

6) Wedding band for you guy? Do you know what he likes? Do you want it to match your ring?
[/b]
He wont tell me what he wants. He actually asked me to surprise him for this. So when the time comes I am going to see what is out there for him.

I do not like huge rings but that is my personal taste due to the fact that I have tiny fingers that are short and I think it would be way to much for my own hand. I also like the traditional use of a diamond in the setting. I have seen a lot of e-rings with other stones that look beautiful but I guess I grew up associating diamonds with e-rings. I also do not like yellow gold, I prefer the white gold or platinum.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

Round (7 mm ish) or Oval (8 x 6 mm ish) Blue sapphire. I like both shared prong or channel set (with rb) eternity bands or three stones rings as well. Definitely white gold

sapphire_blue_911.jpg

Bertrand30.jpg
bn2a_0.jpg
maevona%20poppy.gif

He knows I am far too into jewelry to not have a say in this

I talked him down to a budget of about 3K

The only thing I care about when it comes to bands is that they can also be worn separately, so no curved bands for me! I like them to sit flush without a gap.

I'm going to introduce him to Mokume Gane two tone rings that are predominantly white gold, I think he'll love them!

No princess stones! No Diamond center stone, No curved bands or gaps!

kateydid05

Shiny_Rock
1) Do you know what kind of engagement ring you want? Diamond (or other stone), size, shape, metal type, side stones vs. solitaire, etc.?
--I am in love with the Legato sleek line solitaire from WF. I don't have a preference as to white gold or platinum--just no yellow gold! As for stone shape, I'm partial to asschers, cushions, or rounds. Stone size doesn't matter either; just proportional to my finger.

--He has a pretty solid idea. He is also aware that I have photos on my computer for whenever he's ready.

--I wish he was game for that but nope!

--Not a clue. We are just getting into a better place financially so he hasn't started saving as of yet. To my knowledge he hasn't been researching so he's probably not even sure what things cost these days :shock:

--I would like it to match the e-ring and preferably sit flush. I am not a fan of the curved wedding bands. Since I want a solitaire e-ring I think I'd like a wedding band with a little bit more oomph, like a a 1/2 eternity, or even some color, like emerald (that's his birthstone).

--He is very rough and he has expressed interest in those titanium or tungsten bands. Definitely no yellow gold and pretty much a solid band works for him. I'd like them to be the same metal color but it doesn't have to match.

--I pretty much answered some of this in various places, but I also really don't care for princess cuts, three stone, or halo rings.

snow12

Rough_Rock
I have my dream ring already picked out! It is a 1.5 ct emerald cut, SI1 and i/j color. I love warmer colors in step cuts. I already have a platinum preengagement ring so we are getting a ring made to match it, it is just a simple band. We are going to have the band just be plain for now and upgrade it in the future.

He knows exactly what I want. We've been ring shopping a bit and he wants me to pick it out but the proposal will be a surprise.

We've been once or twice but nothing so serious. I will be purchasing my diamond and setting from online vendors.

6-7k is the budget. This is very easy to achieve and I think we will actually be around the 5k mark with the diamond and the setting.

I am using my preengagement ring as a wedding band in the set.

Because of his religion, he cannot wear gold. We've already exchanged rings and I bought him a cobalt chrome ring and he said he wants to use that as his wedding band and not replace it with something else.

I've already been engaged once, with a 2 ct round brilliant with sidestones and whatnot. I really want a different style ring, not something that reminds me of my past relationship. I like all cuts of diamonds except trillion and heart, but love the look of an emerald cut on my finger. I've always loved emerald cuts but my ex fiance hated them and ended up buying what he liked instead of what I loved. I guess that should have been an indicator that it wasn't meant to be :p

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Good idea TT :wavey:

Yep i do and its all done, an EC with tapered baguettes. Fingers crossed ill have pics in the next month or so, god knows my mental health wont take much longer of this :errrr:

I told him what i liked, and he decided i was too particular to not be involved :praise:

We did, though it wasnt a great experience. It was all through online/pricescope vendors and quite frankly it was just stressful, trying to get what i wanted and paying over that huge amount of cash. But its done now and im sure ill forget the heartache once its on my finger.

I kind of set our budget :cheeky:

This im not sure on, im thinking either something pave or plain...or maybe with coloured stones and diamonds...

Plain platinum for SO, but i think thats a long way off....

Im pretty fussy in that ive only ever liked ECs! since getting into pricescope though i now love/appreciate lots of different styles, though for me personally couldnt see myself wearing them. I do have a hankering for AVCs i must say!

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! I love RB solitaires. I have always loved these. It's what my mother has and though her diamond isn't the biggest or best quality, I have always admired it. So, I knew this is the style of ring I wanted. As for metal, I go back and forth between yellow gold and white gold. I don't like the patina platinum gets so that is out. I love yellow gold, but I also feel like most YG round solitaires look dated. I guess I will decide once we actually buy the ring. It will really depend on the setting I pick. I love thin, tapering bands like the legato solitaire or the tapering tiffany from BGD. I also like solitaires that have interesting/unique profiles, like surprise diamonds, or swoopy prongs, like Mark Morrell's Torchiere.

As for carat weight, we both loved how a 1 carat looked on my hand (that's the biggest we have seen on my hand) and that is a decent size in our area. I think we both would have loved to get a 1.15-1.3 carat, but with the way the diamond prices have risen, I think that will be impossible. At this point, I just want to be engaged and I'm not too concerned about the size. I think we will end up getting around a half carat to 3/4 carat.

He does know what I want, but he is also somewhat clueless about diamonds.

Yes I have a few times and we will buy THE ring together.

I used to, but it has changed so much recently with our current financial situation. I know he has a certain amount saved and I also know that he is expecting a bonus sometime within the next month. But I am not sure if he would use both those amounts or just the bonus or what he already has saved. I guess I will just be surprised :)

I will probably get two wedding bands. One plain band in whatever metal color I choose and a thin diamond band. Probably something made with only 2 point diamonds so that it adds some sparkle but doesn't overpower my solitaire.

He wants a plain yellow gold band. Not sure how thick it will be, but that is what he has always wanted. I had wanted mine to match, but if I decide to go with WG, then it won't and it's not a huge deal to me.

I really love all rings; halos, three stones, solitaires with pave bands, fancy cut diamonds, big diamonds, small diamonds, etc. I think they are all beautiful and that is something that PS has helped me to develop. But, when it comes to what is on my hand, none of those look good on my hand (except maybe the 3 stone). It's not that I don't appreciate or "like" the other rings out there, they just don't look right on my hand and they don't make my heart pitter patter like a good solitaire does :love: .

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks BP! :wavey:
Love everyone's responses and different tastes! Keep them coming!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock

Size? Around 1.7 RB ideally. If he can go bigger, then great! If not, that's fine, but I hope to get at least 1.5cts. Now design is a WHOLE other story!

I went from wanting something very elaborate like the Tacori 2628 because it included everything I loved so I wouldn't have to decided on one thing-- RB, Cushion-shaped Halo, pave on the band, and step cuts! with an Interesting profile to boot! :rodent: Like LotsofSparkle's ring!
PS1.jpg

But then, I realized it may all be too much IRL & I didn't like Tacori's as much IRL. My next plan was to custom design one similar with changes -- u-cut pave, simpler profile, less bulky:
olddesign.png

Then as I read more on pave, I became veerrrry leery of having a pave-encrusted ring. I had to slooowly depart from my love so I decided on RB with cushion halo with side cadillac cuts-- no pave on the shank.

Then, just a RB with side cadillac cuts/traps no pave at ALL, no halo. Like LARadiant's but w/ a round:
PS2.jpg

THEN.....

Now I want simple & classic & I'm totally wavering btwn a simple solitaire
PS3.jpg

And a 3 stone w/ Pear sides
PS4.jpg

Now, I have NO IDEA which one (solitaire vs pear sides) to choose. :roll:

2) Does your FF know what you want? If not, will you tell him/give him some ideas, or leave it all up to him to choose? Nope! He says he can't keep up. He's tired of hearing the latest rendition of what I want. LOL.

3) Will you/Did you go ring shopping with him? It's like pulling teeth! LOL. I have to beg. But when he does go, he's usually happy he went.

4) Do you have an idea of what his budget is? Yeah. But it's a soft one can be flexible as long as he can pay cash, he will make me happy. :wink2: But I am totally mindful of his budget & worry about it more than he does.

5) How about a wedding band? What do you like? Do you want it to be part of a matching set with the e-ring? Hoping for a 3/4 shared prong eternity, but we will see how it looks with my ring.

6) Wedding band for you guy? Do you know what he likes? Do you want it to match your ring? He doesn't even like thinking about it. lol. He's so not into jewelry.

I don't like princess cuts, radiants (well most of them, some are stunning like LA Radiant's!), marquise, pears (LOVE them, just not for my ER), ovals, traditional 3 stone rings of stones all the same size or close, gaudy settings full of baguettes, illusion sets, etc.

JaymeC

Rough_Rock
I would like a 2.5-2 ct RB diamond in a classic 4 or 6 prong setting. At least 2mm or more in width. Classic and timeless!

He does, but he is also hell bent on it being "our" ring. Which means he wants some say in the design.

We have, but just for general looky-loos.... I think I have let him know my preferences and now its 100% in his hands!

We had discussed a budget but with diamond prices rising I may not be able to attain my dream ring in that budget. I know that he will work very hard to make my dreams come true, but I'd rather not go overboard. I'd also rather not have to wait an eternity!

I like the idea of a playful wedding band. Since I want a classic and simple e-ring, I would like a little more detail on the wedding band. Maybe an east-west marquise and rb eternity?

I think that this will actually be pretty hard. He is fussy and finds most of the mens rings boring. We have looked briefly with little success. I think that he will wind up with a brushed platinum band, thick width with a squared off look. But only time will tell!

I don't like overly ornate halos- I think they look chunky and metally! (I do however like simple and well executed halo rings)

troJane

Rough_Rock
RB diamond for the blingbling, solitaire.. i'm a bit understated that way. i'd consider some sparkle, but it would have to be subtle. i'll post pictures of some favorites

He knows since my only experience ring shopping was with him. He had me try on so many, and ultimately liked the solitaires with plain or pave band. His favorites were Debeer's classic pave solitaire, which has a cathedral setting. or Tiffany's novo setting, where the prongs almost look like hearts from the side

i have!! hehe. it was more for me to narrow down the shape of the diamond stone, and try on several styles.

yupp, but it;s a huge range & i did the unspeakable.. i insisted he lower it. it's not a mind game, i just think that extra cash (he is not the type to finance) would be a lot more helpful in so many other aspects of our beginning together

i honestly love yellow and rose gold, as can be displayed by the jewelry i tend to wear. Since he veto'd the engagement ring being colored metal.. i'd possibly would want the wedding ring to be? we'll see =)

he knows what he likes, and has pointed it out several times to me. its a wider band, and the enter is matte and edges shiny? or vice versa?? i guess i lost interest in it since it wasn't sparkly, hehe

- as for the diamond itself, i am not a fan of square brilliant diamonds, like the princess or radiant. i don't care for the glitter effect i saw in most radiants, and some cushions. i did find the stepcut emeralds & asschers gorgeous, but possibly for other future jewelry.
- for the engagement ring, i think the halo & miligrain (beautiful as it may be) really calls too much attention that i wouldn't be able to comfortably wear daily. i prefer the band to be metal, or possibly some pave. didn't care for channel set diamonds
- as for the wedding ring, i really havn't seen too many to have defined an opinion.. but i like the simpler the better.

NCSUchick27

Shiny_Rock

I want a .75 to 1 carat round brilliant diamond. I like vintage styles.

This is my favorite setting.
9FCC05C8A3B1AB48E04010ACA0204E7A.jpg

Yes, we have been shopping, but I am leaving most of it up to him.

We have been shopping once just so I could see how different styles looked on my finger.

I have no idea what his budget is.

The setting that I posted above has a matching wedding band.

He likes titanium wedding bands, and he wants something with a brushed finish.

I'm not a big fan of yellow gold, but other than that I don't think there is really anything that I dislike.

Eskiez

Shiny_Rock
We just purchased a 1.78ct H, VS2 antique style cushion, and I am just trying to decide on a setting. After seeing this recent beauty, I think I may finally have decided exactly what I want!
20110805-IMG_0006.jpg

I finally talked him into letting me be a part of the process!

YES!

Yes, but my tastes went a bit over budget, so I am offering to help out a bit

I am torn on this. Part of me thinks I will just get a matching pave band in the same style as the shank of the halo. However I also really like 2 JbEG bands that I came across.

IMG0024-XL.jpg

IMG2798-XL.jpg

We saw a white gold band with black rhodium plating at GOG that we both LOVED on his hand, but I am worried about the rhodium wearing off over time. So now we are also looking at titanium bands, but nothing so far has jumped out at us as much as the very first ring he tried on ;-)

7) Finally - what don''t you like when it comes to rings! For your engagement ring, for your wedding ring or for his wedding ring! And it''s okay to be honest.
I really don't like yellow gold, plain metal shanks, and any cuts other than cushions (with a ratio less than 1.8 ) or RBs. And I don't like most settings either. I am so insanely picky!

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
Yes! We had it custom made and it's a 2.5 cornflower blue cushion cut sapphire in a halo setting. :appl: I was never one to want to be like everyone else, and when I was very little I remember Princess Diana getting her sapphire engagement ring and that sort of stuck with me until I got older. Blue is also our favorite color so It ties in so many ways.

We had it custom made since the EXACT ring I wanted apparently didn't exist, lol

Well, I saw the finished gold and tried it on to make sure it fit well, but I haven't seen it with the lovely diamonds or sapphire...even though he has! I did ask him if it was as beautiful as I imagine it to be and if he could find any fault with it. He said it was even MORE beautiful than he ever thought and that when he looked at it from all angles it was absolutely perfect, so I am a happy camper!

Once I started discussing all the diamonds that would go into the setting with our jeweler, I stopped for a moment and asked "Is that alright? I don't want it to be too much since diamond prices went up..." and he said something to the effect of "get whatever you want, there isn't a budget you can go over" so I smiled and went with what I imagined to be the e-ring of my dreams :D

I think I will just have a wedding band that echoes the setting. Lots of pretty little diamonds.

It will definitely not match my ring since he isn't a jewelry guy at all. I think we will end up with a titanium or platinum band. Maybe brushed metal.

For rings in general, I love love love jewelry, and I have tons of different stones, settings, shapes, gold colors, etc. I truly do not discriminate against jewelry! However for my E-ring, I just knew I wanted it to be on the larger side and blingy...but not gaudy and a blue sapphire. I do have larger hands (6 1/2) so thin, delicate bands were just TOO thin for my hands.

On a little side note...tomorrow is our anniversary and he is taking me to Solvang for the weekend (If you have ever seen the movie Sideways, it's that particular area) :D so I am 99.9% sure that he will propose to me there!!! I am both excited and nervous, but more excited than anything else.

I promise to post a separate thread and picture as soon as I am able to!

mjertl

Shiny_Rock

I know I want a solitaire. Something really simple with very clean lines. I want platinum (love the weight of it... and I do not want to deal with plating white gold, and when I was younger I was sensitive to nickel), but have recently also discovered that in certain rings I kinda like the two-tone look (if done WELL!). I like round brilliants, ovals, some cushions, and some asschers. I want a bezel or semi-bezel setting, but nothing that looks too modern, just something really simple

we've gone shopping together a couple times, and I printed off lots of pages of pictures for him and wrote notes on them, so I'd say he knows :)

Yes, a couple times, but I have a feeling now that he's going to buy something without me being more involved. That has me a little nervous! I should trust his taste, but what I'm most concerned about is him finding a quality diamond at a reasonable price - I refered him here!

Kinda sorta. I don't think we'll spend more than 10k, and hopefully much less.

Plain, plain, plain. maybe just a plain platinum band. we'll see after I get an engagement ring, maybe I'll want something with stones in the wedding band, but I kinda doubt it.

He just wants a plain band. I would like it to match mine if we could - in my mind there's something special about the connection that that symbolizes. I don't think he'll be at all opposed to that!

I don't really like side stones, I don't like stones that are set up high, I don't like really modern settings

sjm

Rough_Rock

I am fairly traditional and wanted a classic timeless ring with a little something that would make it a bit different. I initially thought I wanted a twisted shank (kind of like a braid) or a a ring with a halo. I didn't have a preference on size and knew I wanted a rounded shape like a round, oval or pear but was open. I also thought I always wanted white gold but in fact all the solitaires I liked were yellow gold.For any settings with diamonds in it I did prefer white gold.

Moral of the story: What I thought I would like was not at all what looked good on my finger.

FF knows because we spent lots of time shopping together. He wanted to take me so that he would know my preference as he knew I would have an opinion and that my tastes can sometimes be hard to predict.

oops answered that in #2!

I have a fair idea but not an exact number. I also know that he did very well in terms of getting what he wanted in his budget because he did lots of research and put in the time to become an expert consumer.

I always thought I would want a wedding band that matched but as we shopped I realized that may not be possible. I will have to wait and see what the e-ring looks like first and then make a decision, I am not opposed to a non-matching band on wearing my band on my right hand.

I am sooooo excited to get engaged and watch him look at wedding bands! I think he will be shocked when he sees the variety of men's wedding bands out there. If my wedding band does not match my e-ring I would love for our bands to in some way be co-ordinated but not exactly matching as I'd like a more feminine version lol.

I love halos but some of the ones we saw had SO much going on in the setting that the halo didn't frame the diamond rather it distracted from it.
I am also not a fan of the illusion diamonds where they set small stones in a way to make it look like one larger stone. I think there is nothing wrong with having a "smaller" stone!!

NTave

Shiny_Rock
1) Do you know what kind of engagement ring you want? Diamond (or other stone), size, shape, metal type, side stones vs. solitaire, etc.? Post some pictures! I love platinum, I love bigger stones around 1.5 carat weight, especially antique cut cushions and OEC, Radiants, cushions and rounds and ovals..although Ive shied away from rounds in the past because of price. I love engraving, antique settings, and replica antique settings. I love Tacori rings,my sister have a lovely tacori set and I fell in love with the designs when she got engaged 5 years ago.

2) Does your FF know what you want? If not, will you tell him/give him some ideas, or leave it all up to him to choose? I chose my ring, Im letting him get all the credit for it, but he wanted to make sure the ring would be everything I ever wanted..he knew if he chose it that it might not be exactly what I wanted even though I would love it just as much, he wasnt convinced. I spent a lot of time lurking on pricescope before figuring out what I wanted..we actually had two rings were were seriously considering which were very different from each other, one built online and one in store until the perfect ring fell into our lap. Its a Tacori platinum 2623 three stone with a H&A J SI1 AGS000 1.2 with .30 GIA VS2 GIA excellent cuts on each side. Its my dream ring.

3) Will you/Did you go ring shopping with him? We volleyed online rings across to each other for a while, I wanted an antique look to the ring, platinum, tacori style with engraving, he liked the idea of three stones, platinum and square shaped stones with plain thicker shanks or european shanks.The great thing about him is although he doesnt know anything about rings or diamonds, he wanted to figure out exactly what I wanted if he needed to make the purchase. I'm pretty new here, but Ive lurked for months reading all I could on stones and settings and oohing anas ahhing over the Bling forum.
We took a risk and bought a ring off craigslist that blew my socks off. We were able to meet seller at the original jeweler, buy it at the jewelry store, have it matched with the AGS by the jeweler and resized at Tacori through the jeweler last week. It was truly an optimal buying situation. The setting alone is worth more than we paid for the entire ring, it was recently refurbished at tacori and looked brand new. It also came with a AGS paperwork and a recent appraisal and all the other paperwork..I also got to hear the story of the previous couples relationship and felt very comfortable with making a higher risk purchase very low risk. As far as what I wanted, its everything I ever hoped for in a ring, the RB look squarish in setting, its a three stone that is balanced well with the side size, its got amazing performance and brilliance, its blingy but not over the top, it has antique looking work on the sides, and it was well within his pricepoint. I cant tell its a J, as I held it up to another J colored piece I have and its completely different shade of white. Im not super color sensitive, but I could definately tell the difference on the H&A vs the oval I have at the same color. Inclusions however, bug the bejesus out of me, and this stone had a tiny inclusion on the edge of the stone that I could only see when I looked really hard with the loupe, I cant see anything peering at it at any angle or distance. Its completely mindclean:) I have been very happy with the jeweler so far which was a bonus since it was a CL purchase and will thank them for all their help by using them for a future project Ive been thinking about as well as the wedding band if I can find one I love there or order one through them. They obviously could have given me a very hard time or not been helpful. I also will be checking craigslist for other amazing deals..when I looked on there there was actually several very promising looking GIA graded or AGS stones that could have been looked into further if someone was willing to take a big risk, and it is a big risk, it could be CZ or mois or a big fake or sketchy people selling or a ring that couldnt be resized etc..but we found it to be a risk that seems so far (pending getting my ring back from Tacori) worked out well for us, crossing fingers. Its also a bummer being away from my ring for the resize, but the savings we obtained made us able to afford a gorgeous setting basically free with a high performance stone online retail.

4) Do you have an idea of what his budget is? I knew he didnt want to spend more than 10-12k for a ring although he probably could, I didnt want to spend that much more either..and I knew with my specs it would be more than that since the ring we picked out at the store was more. He is Swedish, in Sweden to get engaged they exchange gold bands and when they get married the woman gets a diamond, maybe, but people also live engaged together without marrying and raise families. He actually leapt at the idea of the CL ring, which was my idea, because I think it took out all the guessing for him:)

5) How about a wedding band? What do you like? Do you want it to be part of a matching set with the e-ring? The matching wedding band for my ring is 5.5k..I tried it on at the jewelers and it didnt sit flush or look perfect with it, so I'll find something else or have something made to match. I want a half eternity with migrain that sits flush, but thats something to think about once the ring comes back.

6) Wedding band for you guy? Do you know what he likes? Do you want it to match your ring? I want him to have something he wants to wear. It looks like he likes very modern cut platinum rings.

7) Finally - what don''t you like when it comes to rings! For your engagement ring, for your wedding ring or for his wedding ring! And it''s okay to be honest. We all have different tastes, likes/dislikes, etc. Im not a fan of marquise stones or heart shapes on me, although Ive seen some beautifully set stones. I dont love wraps on rings, Im not a huge fan of yellow gold on me, although its gorgeous. Diamonds though, in any shape, are gorgeous!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so happy for your dream ring & getting such an awesome deal!! :appl: I love your story. Post pics once you can. ;))

ycenvy

Rough_Rock

This is my fantasy ring: http://www.michaelbarin.com/jewels_couture_3.html...... It is so breathtakingly beautiful...I love FY diamonds, hence my user name: yellow canary envy LOL

I am absolutely in love with halos, and when I first started looking I fell in love with the HoF Significance Solitaire, but realized it would
out of FF prince range once I showed him how much it costs.

I then discovered the beauty of BGD. I still had my heart set on a halo, but the setting along was 3k+ so I knew I would have to choose a different style. I am leaning towards the BGD Milgrain Cathedral because it is beautiful and it comes with the matching wedding band. Also, since the setting is slightly cheaper this gives him the opportunity to pick out a diamond over .5 carat and still be within the budget.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/images/Rings/ZOOM/SET_5501_WHITE_Z2.jpg

I haven't seen pics of this ring at all mentioned on this site so if someone has it or if I am overlooking a thread please let me know because I would love to see how it looks on.

I actually printed out ring styles from BGD website, as well as the list of diamonds I wanted him to choose from. My FF is very uneducated when it comes to diamonds and rings (because he thinks they are so overrated), and since I am picky and have researched quality diamonds I figured I would save him the hassle. He is one who thinks so much emphasis should not be placed on a ring, and while I agree, I explained to him that if he is going to spend thousands of dollars on a ring, it needs to be the best ring you can get, otherwise you're just wasting money. In the end though, it is still up to him to choose from the list of rings and diamonds I provided him with, so the surprise will still be there :)

I don't think ring shopping is something we will do since I have already given him a list. If he decides he is not comfortable ordering online from BGD I suggested a local jeweler that sells Ritani, who I am also in love with. So if we go ring shopping it will be to that particular store and we would only look at the Ritani line.

His budget will be somewhere between 3 - 4k, maybe a tad bit more but nothing over 5k. I want the budget to include the wedding band as well.

I haven't spent too much time looking at wedding bands, but I would like it to match the ER. If not, a simple band will do unless we get a really good deal on an eternity band that doesn't cause us to go over budget.

I have started looking at wedding bands for the FF. He is not into all this ring stuff, and tells me I could get a rubber band and he would be happy :). I don't want it to be too plain, and I want it to have some detail or either a couple of diamonds in it. My budget will be under 1k and I saw a couple of bands on WF that I liked for under this price range. I am also not looking to match his band with mine.

I like rounds and princess cuts, the others I don't really care for. Honestly, I didn't really like the simple solitaire rings. I want a little bling in my ring LOL, but I realized that with the FF still being in school for another two years the simple solitaire had to be one of the options. I have started looking at more simple solitaire's such as the Tiffani inspired settings (from BGD of course) and they are growing on me more and more. I don't want to focus so much on not having my dream ring right now, especially since the FF mentioned in 10 years there will be an upgrade. As long as he chooses a quality diamond then I am OK with any type of ring. I think once the time comes I will be more excited about getting to spend the rest of my life with the man of my dreams than the actual ring (LOVESTRUCK :love: ) :D

Ravenne

Rough_Rock

I've been going back and forth about this for a while. For the longest time I just assumed I would be getting a diamond. Cuz that's what people do, right? Lol. But then my BF asked me if I wanted a colored stone (he specifically said emerald or ruby. I should've caught on then...) and I said no, I want a diamond. Blah. Well, then I saw a co-worker's ring that had a white sapphire. I was floored. It's gorgeous and in my opinion the perfect stone. I didn't like that diamonds have fire in all colors. I loved her icy blue/white sparkle stone. Gah! I immediately txted my BF and told him that I'd found the stone I want. He was surprised, but he's basically gonna let me design this thing myself, I think.

So now I'm thinking a white sapphire, oval, maybe around 1ct. or just under, with a very delicate halo. I have tiny fingers (3.25) so chunky doesn't work well for me. I definitely don't want any stones in the shank, and I'm thinking I want a split shank, but the jury's still out on that one.. This will probably have to be custom because I have never found a halo to my liking that has a plain shank. :(sad The ones that do are always very modern and contemporary looking. I want an antique/vintage feel.

He originally wanted to get me a ruby/emerald mix of stones... I felt kinda bad telling him that I wouldn't have liked that at all... But hey, honesty, right? I don't want colors in an engagement ring. At that point he basically said "Ok, here's the budget, and I'll just hand the reins over to you." I'm going to fix it up so that I don't see the finished ring until he proposes, but I'll be picking the stone and designing the setting and talking to the jeweler myself.

I think he does want to go ring shopping in a B&M and quite frankly, so do I. Hopefully we'll find a store with a good in house selection of white sapphires and a designer. If not, there's always online and phone.

Yes, but I don't want to put out numbers... Doesn't feel right at this stage.

I want a plain white gold band. Probably milgrained edges though. I do love milgrain. I want something that I can wear all the time and never worry about catching or stones falling out.

He wants a yellow gold band. I would've liked ours to match, but he likes yellow, I like white, and neither of us are compromising. Lol. So match, we will not. I always figured he'd want something with some kind of design, so he threw me for a loop when he said he wanted a plain yellow band, but hey. He's letting me get what I want, I'll give him the same courtesy. I do plan on putting an engraving on the inside though. When I asked him if that was ok, he looked at me and said "I thought that's what you were supposed to do..." ROFL. Ah... I love my man. He's so innocent in the ways of sparklies.

I don't like colors... But I don't like colors *on me.* Lol. I have two friends who got engaged with colored stones (one ruby and one blue sapphire) and they were both absolutely stunning rings and suited them perfectly. And honestly... when my BF said he wanted to make an emerald and ruby ring for me, my first thought was "A Christmas ring?" So yeah... not for me. I don't want a plain solitaire... they just don't look right to me for some reason. If I do end up with a solitaire, I want at least a cathedral setting. Hm...

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Are your birthstones ruby and emerald? I think it's sweet he was thinking of you but all I can thInk is Christmas as well, if he meant the combo. Either alone however :love: . Check out gemfix.com for white sapphires if the b&m stores don't work out. I want a blue sapphire and every time one is marked "sold" on his site I get both hopeful that maybe my bf bought it and sad that another stone within my wanted specifications is gone :)

Ravenne

Rough_Rock
No, my birthstone is peridot and his is diamond (ironically). Lol!! I thought it was incredibly sweet too when he explained his reasoning to me. He essentially said (paraphrasing here) almost every girl gets a diamond and they really aren't that rare. Emeralds, rubies and sapphires are more rare and not nearly as common. He wanted me to have something unique. He was super excited when I told him I'd changed my mind and wanted a sapphire (even though I want white. Lol). I practically swooned when he explained his logic to me. He's such an emotional teddy-bear. Haha!

I just couldn't get Christmas Ring out of my head. :rolleyes: But yes I do agree, separate they are stunning stones. But together, just not to my taste.

blackkatya

Rough_Rock
I had found a 6.5mm round Montana sapphire in a cool light blue/gray color a while back that we decided to use for the ring. We spent forever trying to find a setting, and eventually found a setting where the shank is made of filigree leaves (best way I can describe it). I'm not a fan of traditional settings or diamonds, so this was perfect.

I showed him plenty of examples of what I liked and then he would say yes or no. He did specify what he did and didn't want, though--no halos, no yellow gold, not too many diamonds in the setting.

We always went together when we went to B&M stores. He wanted the decision to basically be mine as long as he had veto power.

He originally gave me a big budget but I knew that he wouldn't be able to afford that anytime soon (we're both college students, and he only works part-time during the school year). We eventually settled on $1000-$1500 for the setting, and wound up paying about $700 after a discount and trading in some old jewelry of mine. He put it on layaway so the setting doesn't get sold before he finishes saving up the rest (around February or March).

I don't know yet if I will do a wedding band. With the setting I picked, I'd have to go custom to get a match, and I'm just not sure we have the money for that at the moment. My mom doesn't wear one anyway with her ring, and I think it looks better without.

We have a design made up for his ring: titanium, sapphire inset to match mine, with two infinity symbols on either side of the ring (we're both math majors and met in math class, so he wanted something math-related). We're just waiting until we get my ring to order his.

I'm not a fan of any of the square or rectangular cuts (princess, asscher, emerald), and I don't like plain bands.

Narsil

Rough_Rock
Currently having a .91,F,SI1(eyeclean) set into a Vatche Swan Solitaire in platinum! Cant wait to get it!!
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...n-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-272.htm

He helped me choose all the way through.
Went shopping together to see what kind I wanted. Thought I wanted something in a Halo antique variety, then tried on a solitaire and that was it!!Goes to show!
Budget was $8000 and we managed to only go a few hundred over!
We wont be getting married for at least 3 years until I finish my course(Im doing a distance Masters). I know I'd like something that has diamonds half way around it
Dont care what type of ring he wants, as long as he wears something!!
Dont like 3 stones, had one before in previous relationship and wasnt very keen on it even then

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results