shape
carat
color
clarity

Rich Bride, Poor Bride

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone ever watch the show?

The other day, BF and I were both off and they had a marathon of this show on TV. HE actually sat down and watched it with me!! lol.

So from watching this show we''ve agreed that spending thousands upon thousands of dollars for one day is completely way too much for our liking. (But to each his own, of course.
2.gif
)

We decided we''d like a destination wedding. His father and step-mother did the whole Sandals Resort thing and got married in Jamaica, just the two of them. We agreed that would be perfect for us.

And if we couldn''t do that? -Justice of the Peace and then throw a huge party (reception) to celebrate with our friends!

I''ve NEVER been one to have all eyes on me. I''m not a good public speaker, I am pretty shy when it comes to people I''m not very close to, regardless of it''s family or not. (Most of my family I never, ever see.) He''s more outgoing than me (never used to be, he only became that way about 2-3 years ago) but also doesn''t like the thought of a big wedding where we''re the center of attention.

So a destination wedding or the justice of the peace would be perfect. Very simple. Very us.
9.gif

So in the last week I''ve seemed to get some sort of ''timeline'' and decisions about what we''d like/not like for a wedding, etc... I think I''m making progress!
36.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hey Bubbly, you know your trip to Sandals will cost a pretty penny, right? And it''s mostly the reception that costs money, so even if you go to the Justice of the Peace, throwing a ''huge party'' is going to be pricey!

But there are lots of ways to cut your costs (second hand or sample dresses, DIY invitations, having a brunch instead of dinner - or not serving a meal at all, ipod instead of DJ, severely limiting the guest list, not having favours, etc.) , and when you get to the BIW board, we''ll be able to help you!

But if you want any kind of ''huge party'', it will be hard to get away with less than $5000. That''s about the minimum, I''d guess. But it can certainly be done for that much. Maybe cheaper if you make people pay for their own drinks (if that flies where you live).

So, start saving!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
All weddings are too expensive for one day. That''s what I hate most about them. And most of the cost and pomp & circumstance is for the guests anyway. My budget is small and I''m working hard to keep it that way. Yes, I watch those shows but I try not to take them too seriously because even though I''d love to blow my life savings on a lavish party for me and my fiance, when I really think about it - it''s a big freaking waste.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
That show scares the crap out of me because people go SO overbudget, I''m afraid I will even with a planner!!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Only one thing can make you go over budget, Nebe! And that''s YOU! Choose not to and you won''t have anything to worry about.
2.gif

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2007 4:51:50 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Only one thing can make you go over budget, Nebe! And that''s YOU! Choose not to and you won''t have anything to worry about.
2.gif
But the flowers, the flowers man!! HOW can you look at a bouquet of callas and say no?
2.gif
27.gif
11.gif

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
Hey Bubbly1126,
That''s exactly what we''re going to do. Just the two of us. I was looking into the Sandals resorts as well. I don''t think they''re that expensive. We want an all inclusive resort. Drinks $$$. (are included). Well I need to take the two of us back. My parents would want to go. So maybe the 4 of us. who knows. He would really want just us both. I agree with what you said. Why spend all this $$$ for people to criticize something about the wedding. We will say "I do" and then enjoy our honeymoon. Great minds think alike.
31.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I took a peek out of curiosity (hey, we have a honeymoon to plan!) and the cheapest Sandals room I saw in LOW season (October) is $2700 + taxes (so, probably $3000-3300) for the week. then figure about $1200 in airfare, taxis, passport updates (if you need ''em) etc.. Plus your dress, shoes, etc and his suit. If your parents go with you, triple that. And suddenly, you''re back to a $10K wedding. $5K if it''s just you two!

Just sayin, start savin''!

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, Independent Gal, I get what you''re saying.

However, I can surely justify 5K on the two of us for a week or so but in my mind, there is no way I could ever justify 5K+ on one day. lol. Call me cheap. I don''t care (lol) but it''s just not worth it to me. I''d rather put that money towards just us and a honeymoon.

It won''t be for another 2+ years or so but yes, we do have to start saving!

And louisvgirl, I agree. Great minds do think alike!
9.gif

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and as for a party with all our friends, we have a hall that is always available to us. It''s part of a yacht club that all the men in his family are members of and it would be perfect for a "party" to celebrate with friends. Also, alcohol is included in the very very low price to rent the hall.
21.gif

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
Yeah 5k is 5k....but I too can justify spending that kind of money on a full week . 10k in Atlantis....that place looks beautiful.. I know someone who has been there 3 times, and has traveled to many beautiful places,,but Atlantis is her top pick..BUBBLY1126 What I have found out is that, sometimes you can book as LITTLE as 2-3 months in advance on someone else''s cancellation, and get up to half off!! We were planning on June 2008, but have decided to wait until March or April to see if we can get some sort of deal. I can not justify spending 25K on one day. I''d rather have that $$$ on my left hand...now that would go a long way!
31.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Yes, each to their own! For us, our thinking was that we can take a romantic holiday any time, but the only time in your life that all of the people you love can be persuaded to gather in one room is your wedding day. So we decided to blow the money on showing our loved ones a good time, instead of keeping all the fun to ourselves.
2.gif
But this is definitely less of an issue if you live close to your friends and family in the first place. Ours are scattered in every corner of the world, so this really is a once in a lifetime thing, and to us, it feels like money very well spent.

NB, LouisV, they also offer 50% if you book early, and then you don't have to worry about not getting a cancellation. Given that when / where I looked everything was sold out for a year or so, it seems that might be the safer option! You can't count on a cancellation, or on YOU being the ones who would GET the cancelled spot!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been married a while. I know one thing that drove up our budget was the thought that people were coming from very far away and spending a lot on their flights and accomodations, so we wanted to make the party fun and worth the trip. To me that meant good food, drinks and music, so that''s where we put our budget to work for us. Even though everyone should be coming to support the couple no matter what, I didn''t want people to feel like the trip wasn''t worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results