shape
carat
color
clarity

Random question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
This can be applied to anyone who was a Liw at any time but i thought it was most appropriate to be asked here.

Have any of you ladies ever brought up a topic to do with weddings, marriage, engagements or rings with no intention of it being a hint yet your SO takes it as such?

Say you bring up the topic of your friend''s recent engagement and how her rings is gorgeous just because you''re excited for her and want to share the news. Has your SO every taken it as you trying to hint or as a segue to start a conversation about the topic when really you had no intention to? Which leads to an eyeroll or something of the sort.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Well, not really--and never with an eyeroll at the end. In our relationship, my now-fiance was the one who ready to get engaged/married before I was ready, so usually if the topic would come up, he''d just comment on whatever the news was. When we talked about marriage, it was usually brought up by me when I felt the need to resolve some sort of worry or concern I had, and he was always willing to talk it through with me because he knew that, in order for me to be able to be ready, my worries had to get squashed. He was always very understanding with me needing to wait (we are an international couple and I wanted us to live together and not be long-distance for a while before knowing for sure he was the one), and never begrudged me talking about the future. But he''s a good guy like that.
1.gif

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Hardly ever. If we wanted to talk about our engagement or our marriage plans we just did. Since we were together while many of our friends got engaged and married, we would often talk about their proposals or their weddings as general conversation. Sometimes it would segway into a discussion about us and sometimes not.

One thing there never was were instances of eye rolling.

PrincessLily2009

Rough_Rock
BF gets defensive if I talk about anything relating to engagements, weddings, marriage, etc. He just always assumes it''s actually a negative/critical comment towards him or the start of an argument. We avoid the topic.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it''s happended to me. No eyeroll but a smile and a look of "I know what you''re doing..." It usually ends up with me back-pedaling and then saying something like "everything is not always about you, you know." It never really starts an argument though.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
He used to get a little freaked out until I told him that I''ll be much more obvious when I actually want to get engaged. For now I just enjoy talking about jewelry, and weddings and stuff because it''s a fun "One day..." kind of thing. Now he just puts up with it. (It''s going to be even worse for him right now, because one of the girls on my frisbee team just got engaged!)

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
No, BF doesn''t get worked up about it if I bring up marriage/engagement/wedding related things.

However... and I thought this was funny... the other day, I went up to him and asked him if there were any jewelers near his office. He got this totally nervous and hesitant look on his face and said, "I''m not sure... uh.... WHY?"

All I needed was to have a watch battery replaced, and since there isn''t anything close to my office, I was going to ask him to get it done for me, just to save me the time and hassle. When I explained that to him... I am pretty sure the look on his face was one of relief.

pluck15

Shiny_Rock
Yes, that has totally happened before. Probably cause there was a point where thats all I could think/talk about ( I have since calmed down on the subject) But earlier in the year, I started getting tons of wedding invites for this summer, so I would keep bringing those up, how we have so many to go to, and telling him about alllll of my friends who recently got engaged or so. But I know where you''re coming from, when I would bring up the topic of other people, I would get the eye roll, or something along those lines.
3.gif

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 10:29:29 AM
Author: lucyandroger
Yes, it''s happended to me. No eyeroll but a smile and a look of ''I know what you''re doing...'' It usually ends up with me back-pedaling and then saying something like ''everything is not always about you, you know.'' It never really starts an argument though.
The eyeroll is similar to this not an annoyed one. More of an i know you are fishing for information but it isn''t going to work. Then i get a little defensive as it wasn''t my intention to fish for information. No arguments get started though.

Thanks for the replies, just wanted to see if this had happened to anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results