promise/ pre-engagement bling

Pre-Proposal Syndromes

• 38 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2,

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Re: promise/ pre-engagement bling

Post by MBKRH » December 14th, 2011, 6:07 pm
Oh my. My previous post may have been a wee bit alcohol related :oops: But it's not far from the truth.

I just had a day from hell yesterday. And It seemed everywhere I went, looked, etc.... e-rings were in my face. Also, it's just about time for shark week, so my emotions were definitely out of control yesterday. The bf asked what was wrong, and luckily he knew about me having a bad day, so he left it at that and didn't pry, which was nice.

I'm a little afraid that I'm starting to feel resentment towards him. Now that we live together, I think that I just really screwed things up for me ever getting engaged. I don't want to bring the subject up to him (we've only been together 6 months now, so it's way too early for that). I can't think straight right now...I think I'm just going to chalk everything up to my emotions and hope ya'll will let me off with a warning this time. :lol:

I'm so sorry about your anniversary. At least you still had a nice night out together, minus the tree brushing your arm and the menu being changed up on you. But I totally get where you're coming from, with advertisements getting to you. Like you, I'm not expecting a ring, but every little thing the bf says or does, my heart leaps into my chest and I think "Wait, was that a hint?" I must be losing my mind!!!!!
~*~Joined the LIW (for the second time) at #61 on 6/23/2012~*~ 
~*~Signed off the list at #3 on 2/14/14~*~
~*~"I do!" on 12/13/14~*~

Post by madelise » December 14th, 2011, 11:51 pm
Written by wishfuldreamer » December 14th, 2011, 6:07 pm:Like you, I'm not expecting a ring, but every little thing the bf says or does, my heart leaps into my chest and I think "Wait, was that a hint?" I must be losing my mind!!!!!

yes, seriously, i feel crazy too. :errrr:
Diamonds are held under tons and tons of pressure, extremely high temperatures of fire and shuffled under shifting of tectonic plates, for a long, long time! Yet when they come out from there and are put on display for their beauty; does anybody stop to evaluate the diamond based upon all the shit it's been through and say "Remember that disgusting hole it used to be in? I bet it was hell in there!" No, people don't remember where a diamond has come from; they just see the beauty of it now. But it wouldn't have become so beautiful, you know, if not for all of that! So why should we look at other people, or at ourselves and evaluate them/ourselves based upon their/our pasts? Shouldn't we forget that? And only see the beauty that is in front of our eyes? Whatever it was, it made you beautiful! And that is what matters! - C. Joybell C.

Post by nararabbit » December 19th, 2011, 2:38 pm
WHile I'm not a LIW, I have been driven crazy lately by the stupid holiday commercials. Especially that Lexus one were the girl gets the music to play in the elevator of their condo. Seriously, she is younger than me and buying her man a LEXUS? We are car-shopping now and have put it on hold until after the new year, because we have to pay for an emergency room visit (BOO!) Whenever I see that stupid commercial, I get really upset. It makes no sense, but I hate Lexus now. Thanks for the constant reminders that I will be driving my sad car with one headlight a while longer....

(PS, Is this a First World problem or what? LOL!)

Post by maebelle » December 19th, 2011, 2:48 pm
Written by nararabbit » December 19th, 2011, 2:38 pm:WHile I'm not a LIW, I have been driven crazy lately by the stupid holiday commercials. Especially that Lexus one were the girl gets the music to play in the elevator of their condo. Seriously, she is younger than me and buying her man a LEXUS? We are car-shopping now and have put it on hold until after the new year, because we have to pay for an emergency room visit (BOO!) Whenever I see that stupid commercial, I get really upset. It makes no sense, but I hate Lexus now. Thanks for the constant reminders that I will be driving my sad car with one headlight a while longer....

(PS, Is this a First World problem or what? LOL!)

Also... They live in a house with an elevator?! :)

Post by ElectricEvoIX » January 10th, 2012, 10:30 am
I think I might be the first guy to post in this thread. I've been lurking around these forums looking for opinions on engagements and whatnot and came across this thread while looking into the other areas of this forum.

My view on this topic is a little back and forth so to speak. While I agree that a promise ring idea does lend itself more to a high school age type of relationship, who's to knock someone regardless of age if they were to want to exchange engagement rings. I've been with my current sig other for a litle over 1 1/2 years. I knew 2 months in that she was the one for me. The topic of promise rings did come up and she is a very classy diva type of girl (chanel, dior, etc) and she laughed at the idea and said it was dumb. I said ok that's fine and didn't really push the idea. Through our conversations through the course of our relationship marriage has come up and discussing this that and the other thing about what we would want. She said when we get engaged she would buy me a ring too so other girls knew I was off the market LOL (she's crazy but I adore her). Little background on us, i'm 29 and she's 24. We met in grad school.

I've always kind of wanted a destination type of wedding and she wants more traditional church, formal reception etc. We planned a vacation to a couples only resort in cancun in may of 2011. The idea of rings and promise rings came up. She considered it a little more seriously this time around. In looking at the resort and things they offered we came across these honeymoon, newlywed packages. We looked into these options and found out the resort free of charge will do a promise/vow renewal ceremony. I'm telling you what they included with your stay is incredible. They have a setup on the beach with flowers, private dinner, the whole nine. I said to her hey that's awesome the resort does this for couples for free. She actually suggested well why don't we do something like that while we are away and all. So we decided that we could exchange promise rings that we would wear on our right hands. Our vacation was amazing, the ceremony was beautiful I couldn't have asked for a more perfect setting. We exchanged rings, even said a few words to each other similar to a vow type of deal. She said she agreed more to doing it because I wanted a destination ceremony and prob would never get one so this was our way of getting a destination type of ceremony without all the official wedding and family being there. So while we are at the ages where most will say that's a little too old I have to disagree. I know I love this woman and had been saving up for the engagement since we started dating.

However what will make this story a little different is I didn't push for the promise ring as an alternative to the actualy engagement ring we just took advantage of a service the resort offered and had something private and special for each other while on our vacation together. I actually already purchased the engagement ring this past xmas, a beautiful 2.40 round brilliant which I will be giving to her in june of this year.

So I guess I say I agree with the promise ring as long as it's understood that it doesn't delay the actual real ring or gives an excuse to push off buying the actual left handed ring. Sorry for the long winded story lol

Post by madelise » January 10th, 2012, 1:09 pm
Written by ElectricEvoIX » January 10th, 2012, 10:30 am:So I guess I say I agree with the promise ring as long as it's understood that it doesn't delay the actual real ring or gives an excuse to push off buying the actual left handed ring. Sorry for the long winded story lol

thanks for chiming in! and your story sounds awesome. i've never heard of a 'promise ceremony'! i think the bf might be hearing about this one soon, :naughty: haha, i can totally imagine him thinking i'm absolutely NUTS.

and i TOTALLY agree on that ^ quoted part :)
Diamonds are held under tons and tons of pressure, extremely high temperatures of fire and shuffled under shifting of tectonic plates, for a long, long time! Yet when they come out from there and are put on display for their beauty; does anybody stop to evaluate the diamond based upon all the shit it's been through and say "Remember that disgusting hole it used to be in? I bet it was hell in there!" No, people don't remember where a diamond has come from; they just see the beauty of it now. But it wouldn't have become so beautiful, you know, if not for all of that! So why should we look at other people, or at ourselves and evaluate them/ourselves based upon their/our pasts? Shouldn't we forget that? And only see the beauty that is in front of our eyes? Whatever it was, it made you beautiful! And that is what matters! - C. Joybell C.

Post by ElectricEvoIX » January 10th, 2012, 1:40 pm
Written by madelise » January 10th, 2012, 1:09 pm:
Written by ElectricEvoIX » January 10th, 2012, 10:30 am:So I guess I say I agree with the promise ring as long as it's understood that it doesn't delay the actual real ring or gives an excuse to push off buying the actual left handed ring. Sorry for the long winded story lol

thanks for chiming in! and your story sounds awesome. i've never heard of a 'promise ceremony'! i think the bf might be hearing about this one soon, :naughty: haha, i can totally imagine him thinking i'm absolutely NUTS.

and i TOTALLY agree on that ^ quoted part :)

if you're thinking of going on vacation to cancun check out the Palace resorts they all offer this service and it's complimentary with your stay. Like I said I was shocked with what was included. We specifically stayed at the Sun palace which is the couples only resort and we loved it.

38 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2,

« Return to Ladies in Waiting