shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie wanting to be a LIW

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karencluff

Rough_Rock
Hello! I am brand new to periscope and found this site while researching my dream ring. My bf and I have been together for almost two years (in May). I am 28 years old and I live in Utah - so by standards here, I am on old maid!! My bf and I have been talking about marriage for a long time and I recently asked if he was serious about getting a ring or not. $$ has mainly been the issue, as this is quite an investment! On Sunday, we went looking for rings for the first time! Tears sprang to my eyes as he pulled into the parking lot of Jared''s. I got a great idea of what I wanted - a princess cut that is set on point. From this sight I have found that this is called a starset (hence the screen name starbright
2.gif
)
However, we have run into a snag already! Yesterday my bf told me that both Shane Co and Jared''s, who have lifetime warranties, do not cover this setting because it is so risky and is prone to breaking. I am crushed. My bf is a worrier and very practical. He is disappointed because he knows this is what I want. I am looking for any advice in regards to this matter.
I love the idea of the Ladies in Waiting and the psychology behind engagement and love. Can I join?

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hi Starbright,

What happened is a blessing in disguise, since both Shane & Jared are known around here for selling JUNK for massively inflated prices. So, you narrowly avoided getting ripped off and ending up with a not-so-beautiful stone.

You can find a much more beautiful stone at a better price and we will help you and your boyfriend do so! If you go over to Rocky Talky, you'll see that's all PS'ers do over there: help people find beautiful stones within their budget.

Also, the so-called 'lifetime warranty' is a bit of a scam, since they only cover you if you bring it in on schedule every few months for examination and cleaning. Miss just ONCE (say you're traveling, or you have a baby and have your hands full) and the warranty is void forever. It is much more financially sound to simply purchase a rider on your home or renter's insurance policy for your ring. As an example, I had a ring worth $2200. It cost me $18 a year to insure it. (I was using Amica). Also, that way you're covered in terms of theft (which is why I said "HAD" a ring! sniff sniff)

It's true that the point tips on a princess cut are more prone to breakage, but if that's really what you want, just insure the stone and go for it!

By FAR the most beautiful princess cut stones are the branded x-cut at whiteflash.com

Bluenile also has a good selection, though you may have to look at a few (free shipping, cheap returns... and you have 30 days full money back) before you pick one.

So, count your blessings that things didn't work out at those MAUL stores! Head on over to the 'Rocky Talky' section, post your budget and what you're looking for and we'll help you find the most beautiful possible stone for the money!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto to everything IndyGal said. Especially the parts about Jared. I hated that place. Stupid smarmy salesmen and crap stones. They had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about Swiss and London blue Topaz. Stay far far away from them, please!

And welcome!

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to PS!

The Maul stores are a good place to start when looking for an idea of the ring that looks best on you. After you find a setting you like, I definately think a reputable vendor on the internet is the way to go. You get exactly what you want and the savings are substatial when compared to the mark-ups of traditional chain jewlery stores. Plus...there''s no pushy salespeople around trying to get you to buy anything out of price range. You can take your time and shop in a relaxing atmosphere: your home!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome
35.gif
And yes, the more time you spend here, the more you will learn that you WILL be able to get what you want!

karencluff

Rough_Rock
Wow! Thank you so much! I had thought these were reputable places, so it is great to hear a different side. I am glad we did not go through with anything yet... The insurance info is wonderful to hear as well because we already have renters insurance. I will send the boy this way to check everything out!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I don't mean to suggest that the Maul Stores try to cheat you on purpose. It's more that most consumers of diamonds don't know much and don't care, so they are able to sell low quality stones without anyone demanding better cut or clarity. You know, like the way most people don't know much about wine or cheese and don't care. But once you discover what REALLY GOOD wine tastes like, you get so much more pleasure out of it than you would have. And the nice thing here is that, like good cheese, it ends up not really costing any more... sometimes even less! to get the good stuff.

In other words, most consumers aren't educated enough about diamonds to be able to see when a stone is lousy. But once you do see the difference, you will get 100 times as much pleasure from your stone as you would have otherwise.

And I like to say: you can never squeeze too much pleasure out of life! So you may as well have the most stunning stone you can get.

When these stores mark up their prices, it's the same as any other huge mark-up... mattresses, e.g., are marked up really high, so are persian rugs. So, if someone gets the idea to sell more but with a lower mark-up (economies of scale), then you do well and so do they. That's what internet shopping for diamonds is about.

The important thing is to become as educated as possible before making this major purchase. So, do send your boyfriend over to this site to learn what he can. If he's not comfy making an internet purchase, it will still help him learn to identify a good stone from a bad one, and he can even use a quote on a stone from the net to bargain for a stone at a brick and mortar store.

In the meantime, phone your renter's insurance company and ask them about jewelry riders on your policy. Unless you're looking at a 20K stone or something like that, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just didn''t like the attitude at Jared. The fact that they didn''t know the difference between a sky, swiss, and london blue topaz just irritated me. Basically I consider Maul stores to be like convenience stores. Nice to look at, but probably not exactly what you''re looking for, so you may just settle for something less. Just because it''s convenient. You know what I''m saying? I too say go with an internet vendor. I''ve seen some amazing rings on these pages, and it seems rare when the stones in them didn''t come from the internet. But it''s isn''t exactly convenient, because you order then and it takes some time to get there, and then you can return it if you don''t like it...etc.

So basically they''re using their convenience to reel you in. I don''t want to be reeled in.

INdmbLove

Shiny_Rock
Wow- I just vented about my experience at Jared and the salesman being a major prick to me in another thread- I''m glad that I''m not the Only person that has been treated like crap there... wait- no that sounds wrong NO one deserves their "customer service".... but I guess I feel better that it wasn''t just me. Jerks!

Get what you want, but also consider the longevity of your setting.... to me I have to like it for quite awhile, I"m afraid of something that is too trendy and I will dislike in 5 years.... But that''s my personality too- I tend to play it safe.... I suppose it can always be put into a new setting in a few years :)

Good luck and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results