shape
carat
color
clarity

New to this, need advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Abbbear2

Rough_Rock

Okay guys I have learned so much from this forum so I first wanted to say thank you!

I am looking at a 1.08 carat round diamond. I found what I think is a good deal at a local reputable jewelry store. The diamond does not have any certifications but the jeweler is GIA certified and we looked at it under a 60x microscope. His ratings on the diamond are VS2/F, Ideal and he will give me an appraisal, dimensions, and everything you would get from the GIA report. I looked at it and it appeared to be flawless even under a microscope. He is willing to sell it to me for 6,600 with a platinum tiffany setting. I know I don''t have the exact specs. What are your initial thoughts? He said the diamond would appraise for around 9,000 or more. Thanks!

Andrew

He seems very honest and showed me his certifications.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should email the admin and ask them to move this to "RockyTalky," you''ll get much better feedback there!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would NEVER spend $6000 on a non certified stone. You have no way of knowing it''s an ideal cut, nor do you have any way of knowing the color and clarity are correct. You just have a guy who is trying to sell you a diamond telling you it''s a great diamond.

You can get a gorgeous, ideal cut, AGS certified, hearts and arrows diamond at Whiteflash.com or another great Pricescope vendor for less money. Here is one of quite a few similar diamonds on Whiteflash.com:

http://whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-45607.htm

It''s a 1.05 carat I/SI1 for $5513. It has the highest performance grades possible from the strictest lab. That leaves you over $1000 to get a great setting. Plus, Whiteflash.com has a great upgrade policy, so if in the future your girlfriend wants a bigger stone, you can trade in your diamond and put 100% of the purchase price of the diamond towards a new stone.

Please don''t dive into a purchase like this without doing your homework! Read all the tutorials here on PS and be sure to get a GIA or AGS certified stone so you know that you''re getting what you''re paying for!

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
I agree with thing2of2. Never buy an uncertified stone. If you see an uncertified stone that will speaks to you, bring it to an appraiser to have him/her confirm the stats so that you know you''re getting a good deal.

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
No, no, no. Even if he is honest, you are still taking a chance without it being certified.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Why not pay to HAVE it certified. But I agree with the others, not sure I would take his word for it. Have you seen it next to other ''F'' stones? Do you have a good eye for colour? And have you seen it next to a certified ''Excellent'' cut stone to see the different in sparkle?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results