shape
carat
color
clarity

New and FRUSTRATED

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marcybelle

Rough_Rock
Hello, all. I''m new to this board. I am a Lady In Waiting and I was feeling a little down tonight, so I googled a couple phrases having to do with not being engaged yet. I''m hoping to find some "expert" advice or at least a place to vent.

I truly have a wonderful man in my life. He is a good person, he loves me, has a wonderful family, good job, etc. We have been together for two years. This is not an extraordinary amount of time, especially because I am 23 and he is 25, so we''re still young. We have talked about marriage on many occassions. He ALWAYS initiates any conversations, jokes, comments, etc. about us getting married or engaged. He knows that I am ready and knows that I am waiting for him to ask me to marry him. I don''t bring the topic up, but if he does I let my opinion be known.

The frustrating thing is how he talks about it. If he hadn''t ever mentioned marriage in the great detail that he does, this wouldn''t be an issue. He has gone out of his way for the past nine months to say things like "when we get married...." and "if we get married...." (THAT one drives me insane. How is it that in the English language that ''when'' and ''if'' have become interchangable???) and "our wedding is going to be so fun" and all those sorts of things. Lately he''s even gone further and mentioned how funny of a conversation it would be when he asks my father for my hand.
20.gif

Why would any of this be infuriating, you ask? Well for every cute, sweet, nice comment he makes about getting engaged, there is one like "we probably won''t get married" or "yea, we''re still young, we''ll probably break up in a year or so" or "yea you''re going to have to wait another year for a rock." Now these comments are all made jokingly, but i CANNOT stand them. He laughs and does it purposely just to piss me off, but part of me can''t help but think, even with all of the nice comments he makes about how much he loves me and how he wants to marry me someday, that there might be truth in the joking comments. He says things like, "well, anything CAN happen, you never know..." UGH!
29.gif

I don''t know if I''m reading too far into these comments. Does anyone else have fiancees who used to always say "IF we ever get married" and laugh about it, or something similar? I really wish he didn''t bring it up all the time. He knows how badly I want to marry him, there is no need to have a discussion that just makes me anxious and sad that he hasn''t proposed yet. I''m completely content with waiting until Christmas or something if he''d just stop talking about it and getting my hopes up.
7.gif
He has mentioned on several occassions that he''d like to get married in a year and a half from now. That''s great. I''d love to marry him then, but at one point does my opinion count?

Has this happened to anyone? Any advice? I''d rather not confront him with the situation because I''ve been trying my hardest not to get roped into a marriage chat. I don''t want him to feel like I''m pressuring him into marriage. I want this to be a decision he comes to on his own. (However, soon would be appreciated!)
28.gif

mia15

Shiny_Rock
Marcybelle, I used to have an acquaintance who did this all the time, a woman in this case. She also mentioned a definite timeframe in which she wanted to be engaged, which seems to me to be a sign that someone is serious about marriage.
In her case, she would make those types of comments out of insecurity, and I suspect, a certain amount of testing. Do you feel that your boyfriend is doing that at all?

I guess my question for you would be, how do you know that he knows you''re ready for him to ask you to marry him? If you have discussed this with him and he truly knows, I think you do have some cause for resentment, and he should know this is irritating you.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately men do have weirdness in communication sometimes. He might think it is funny or cute and that you know you two will end up together so what is the harm? You could just mention to him that this is confusing and a bit frustrating to you...you are not trying to push the topic or anything but you seem to get mixed messages and just want to clarify things...

Evie75

Shiny_Rock
Well my BF happens to be the king of "when we get married talk" constantly brings it up every chance he gets and yes it is very annoying. because im ready and waiting and he knows that. at one point he showed me rings everyday and then said "well im just getting ideas this not happening for another year" this made me very very upset and I told him that it was not fair that he does that. I understand how you feel because i felt the same way.. SO i asked him very nicely to cut the married/ engagement chat until he actually proposes because its not fair to tease me that I get very excited then disappointed when it does not happen. NOW he does not bring it up and i feel much better about waiting now. I mean i still feel it, but its not as bad when he''d bring it up every second of the day.. I guess men think its fun and cute to talk about it but they dont understand how it makes us feel, and i explained that to my man and he totally understood. so i suggest you talk to him..

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Marcy,

First of all, you found the right place for support! This forum is filled with people who have been in similar situations with their boyfriends/significant others... so there are always lots of good perspectives to consider! My BF was always the one to bring up the "when we get married someday" talk too... and the very same comments about how fun our wedding would be, etc. I was always hesitant to pursue it because I felt like the ball was in his court... he knew I was ready, it was just up to him to be ready too. I think that can cause some resentment in the woman, especially if you are strong-minded and not used to feeling out of control. Not knowing when we would be getting engaged really started to bother me around the 2-year mark (where you are now). I felt so sure about wanting to marry him, and I needed to know he felt the same way too.

It sounds to me like your BF is sort of feeling things out. Talking through his own emotions out loud, and maybe even using your reactions to gauge how ready or not he really is for all this. He''s 25, so it could be the first time he''s ever really thought seriously about wanting to "settle down" with somebody. He''s probably excited and freaked out all at the same time. So while it''s important to be respectful of that, it''s also important to respect your own feelings. You asked at what point your opinion counts... well I think it counts now!

I think the other girls'' advice is sound... you are probably at the right point in your relationship to have a real conversation about all this... but it does NOT have to be super-serious or pressure-filled. Maybe just let him know that you love him and the relationship you have together, and wouldn''t change a thing... but that the "if" comments bother you sometimes. Let him know that you''re thinking positively about your future together, and hope he feels that way too... but even when he''s kidding, talking about breaking up hurts a little. It might also be a good idea to give him your thoughts on an ideal timeline for getting engaged/married (make sure he realizes weddings take some time to plan... if he''s thinking a year and a half from now, he''d need to start ring-shopping any day now!)

Honestly, these conversations can be intimidating... but they are a good precedent to set for a healthy marriage. You need to be able to talk to your husband when you are concerned about something in your relationship!

No matter what, you sound like a thoughtful, intelligent person and I''m sure your boyfriend recognizes that and respects how you feel about these things. Good luck and let us know how everything is going!

marcybelle

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/6/2006 3:28:03 AM
Author: emeraldlover
Marcybelle, I used to have an acquaintance who did this all the time, a woman in this case. She also mentioned a definite timeframe in which she wanted to be engaged, which seems to me to be a sign that someone is serious about marriage.
In her case, she would make those types of comments out of insecurity, and I suspect, a certain amount of testing. Do you feel that your boyfriend is doing that at all?

I guess my question for you would be, how do you know that he knows you''re ready for him to ask you to marry him? If you have discussed this with him and he truly knows, I think you do have some cause for resentment, and he should know this is irritating you.
Thanks for the reply, emerald. My guess is he knows. In the past couple of weeks I''ve just come out and said "You know I''d say yes." I think the next time he brings it up I''m going to tell him that it hurts my feelings when he says those things because it gets my hopes up and then nothing happens.

marcybelle

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies everyone.

He may not be ready yet. I know that finances are a big issue to him. While he does well at his job, he has made it very clear that he will not rent an apartment. So basically we won''t get married until we have enough money saved for a down payment on a house. I''ve said many times that renting for a couple of months is ok, but he says its "pissing our money away." I guess it is, we''re young enough where there is absolutely no reason that we can''t wait an extra six months and be able to buy a nice size house.

I''m sure it will work out, I am just EXTREMELY impatient! Plus, he thinks its funny to keep me in suspense. It''s like he gets a rise out of knowing when it will happen and I don''t.

:) Thanks all.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS
35.gif
You have come to the right place for support that is for sure! Ephemery1 had some fabulous advice and not much I can really add. Especially since I am on the other side. I talk about it and it is frustrating to him because he can''t do it all right now. I am hoping that sumbride finds this thread and pipes in because she was having some earily similar situations with her BF. I can''t think of what her thread was called but I will go look for it for you. Good luck!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Talking about breaking up and the ''If'' statements is inexcusable and you need to put a stop to it right away. Just flat out tell him that joking about not being together in the future really hurts you. There''s no reason you can''t have a serious conversation about it.

Also.... Welcome to Boy Soon -Girl Soon!
35.gif
Girl Soon == sometime this month or even this week. Boy Soon == sometime in the next three years, probably.
9.gif
32.gif

Once during an unpleasant argument with my bf when he wanted to know why I was so impatient and I shot back that he had ''unofficially'' asked me last freaking May, he actually said that he regretted ever having said it. Not that he didn''t mean that he wants to marry me, just that he wasn''t ready to start actually planning it. I think the planning part scares them more than they want to admit.
Also something to keep in mind is that, despite their complaints about us, men really do think we''re pyschic. Mine was happily and quietly saving up money for a ring and was thinking about getting married. So in his mind there was steady progress. He just couldn''t understand that I was seeing nothing happening and was getting thoroughly freaked out and insecure. He''s still baffled about the insecure part.
20.gif

I wish I had some suggestion for you about helping your guy realize how much time it takes to get engaged and plan a wedding. It''s taken a lot of women and men here months to get the ring part down. And if you want a nice wedding with guests at a venue, you really do need to book at least a year in advance. My fsil had to settle for a Sunday wedding 15 months away. Well, really 13 months since it took them a little to decide on the place they wanted. It''s not that it takes so long to plan, it''s just that the good places, caterers, etc book up way in advance. And he really needs to know that at some point. Although I''d seperate the two conversations (teasing and timeline) out by a month.
2.gif

Anyway, just my 2c''s

Cailet

Shiny_Rock
boys are so infuriating some times aren''t they??

mine does the "when we get married", "when we have kids" etc talk all the time -- this weekend he even went so far as to sign our names in a friend''s wedding guestbook with the same last name ("Well it will be eventually right?" says the boy) . I really think that most of the time boys have no clue how girls respond/react to what they say. I mean really -- I would still be impatient if he never mentioned anything - but I wouldn''t be CONSTATLY thinking about the WHEN part if he didn''t mention stuff all the time.

I also agree with the other gals that most guys have no clue how long it takes to get a wedding planned, much less how long it takes to get an engagement ring.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to PS!
35.gif
When it comes to the lamenting of Ladies in Waiting (and waiting... and waiting... and waiting...) you''ve come to the right place!

I can see why he might be ''hedging his bets'' a little when saying things like "we might be split in a year" because he''s trying to balance his feelings and his realism. Boys are BIG fans of realism. Preferrably as cold and crushing as possible.
15.gif

However, I think you really need to put your foot down, and say "No more teasing. You are playing with my feelings, and it''s cruel. No more wedding/break up talk, because you are stringing me along. You might think it''s a good joke, but you are seriously messing with my feelings. Not cool."

Kind of along the lines of "If you don''t say something nice, say nothing" ya know?

I know my FF wouldn''t appreciate it if I starting saying things like "if we get married" or "I wonder what my FH will looks like.. you know, if we end up breaking up". Guys need to treat their LIWs the way they want to be treated.

Dangling an engagement like a treat in front of a dog, and then laughing at the dog''s frenzied reaction is NOT COOL.

If my my FF tried that, he''d get his ears boxed.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well this happened to me a LONG time ago, maybe 4-5 years ago. My boyfriend said something to the effect, " If we''re still dating then" In any case, for about 3 months after, whenever he said something that hinted about futur I''d be totally non-commited, and say things like " well you never know what can happen" etc. But not in a sarcastic way or anything, just normally. In any case, he NEVER said anything like that to me again.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Welcome!
35.gif

Boys can be so infuriating sometimes... My boyfriend used to say IF even though we had a 2006 timeframe up until we bought my ring a couple of weeks ago! It drove me mad... But I think to some extent he didn''t really realise what he was saying, he didn''t really make the distinction between IF and WHEN.

Good luck with the talk! You deserve to know if this man expencts the same things out of life, so it''s a good idea to have this talk as soon as the door is open!

marcybelle

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/6/2006 2:36:35 PM
Author: IndieJones
Talking about breaking up and the ''If'' statements is inexcusable and you need to put a stop to it right away. Just flat out tell him that joking about not being together in the future really hurts you. There''s no reason you can''t have a serious conversation about it.

Also.... Welcome to Boy Soon -Girl Soon!
35.gif
Girl Soon == sometime this month or even this week. Boy Soon == sometime in the next three years, probably.
9.gif
32.gif

Once during an unpleasant argument with my bf when he wanted to know why I was so impatient and I shot back that he had ''unofficially'' asked me last freaking May, he actually said that he regretted ever having said it. Not that he didn''t mean that he wants to marry me, just that he wasn''t ready to start actually planning it. I think the planning part scares them more than they want to admit.
Also something to keep in mind is that, despite their complaints about us, men really do think we''re pyschic. Mine was happily and quietly saving up money for a ring and was thinking about getting married. So in his mind there was steady progress. He just couldn''t understand that I was seeing nothing happening and was getting thoroughly freaked out and insecure. He''s still baffled about the insecure part.
20.gif

I wish I had some suggestion for you about helping your guy realize how much time it takes to get engaged and plan a wedding. It''s taken a lot of women and men here months to get the ring part down. And if you want a nice wedding with guests at a venue, you really do need to book at least a year in advance. My fsil had to settle for a Sunday wedding 15 months away. Well, really 13 months since it took them a little to decide on the place they wanted. It''s not that it takes so long to plan, it''s just that the good places, caterers, etc book up way in advance. And he really needs to know that at some point. Although I''d seperate the two conversations (teasing and timeline) out by a month.
2.gif

Anyway, just my 2c''s

very good suggestions. I am definitely going to wait until he does it again and talk to him. He also mentions details like our reception and stuff way too much for a guy. He talks about having 350+ people at our wedding. He clearly has zero idea about how much things cost and how long it takes to plan and how long in advance you book.

thank you for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results