shape
carat
color
clarity

Nail Polish for the Big Question

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies! Happy Wednesday!

Random question... the ring is in and now I'm *patiently* biding my time until it's on my finger. I need to keep myself busy and I also need to get my nails done. So what color should I go with? I'm olive skinned and pinks don't always look so great on my but I know it's probably the best color to help the ring pop. I'm a dark nailed girl but also love my reds... any suggestions??

SparklesLove

Rough_Rock
Daisy, I am in the exact same situation as you are regarding the ring situation. I also have been pondering the eternal nail polish question. I love pink and red, but I don't want anything too overpowering...as I (and I'm sure you) want all the focus to be on that rock! :love:

I've also contemplated getting a french manicure done. Pretty, but not too overpowering. Ah, this decision is almost as important as the ring itself (oh, and the man)!!! :D :D :D

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Haha, funny topic! my ring is being made at the moment, and suddenly ive taken a big interest in nail polish :bigsmile: i havent received them yet but ive purchased online a couple of shades for doing a french, and another sort of coral colour...SO and i have a holiday planned to the Caribbean in May and im kinda hoping *maybe* it will happen then (hence the coral colour). But i actually think i have little chance of that so i shouldnt get my hopes up :(sad

but how do we know when to make sure our nails are pretty?! i could be waiting 6 months, i dont have the dedication to keep my nails nice for that long :errrr:

Coral might look nice on your olive skin? or a pale pink or gold with a kinda pearl look i think would look nice with bling :bigsmile:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
When I knew it was coming I went with ::drumroll:: clear. Ha. I never have polish on my nails, but even clear looks so much better than nothing.

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
;( ;( ;(
Just got a mani during my lunch hour and I hate it. First, I went to a new place which I know is a huge no-no but I was so excited and thought it might be cool to find a go-to place around my job (I have 2 by my house). Well, they were so annoyed that I took a while picking out the color (like, hello- I'm getting engaged soon- this is a big decision for me!!), they were annoyed when I asked them to do things in a specific way (straight instead of round, short, no cuticles), and then the polish job was horrible- it looks super stripey. Ugh- I thought it best to just run out of there insted of asking them to fix it since they made me feel like a JERK for wanting them to do a good job (and I wasn't so sure they COULD do a good job...). Now I have to go home tonight and get another mani since I'm so unhappy! ;(
Excuse my rant but I am so annoyed. Oh, and the color I chose was a pearly pink. I don't hate the color, she just did such a horrible paint job on them. I'm feeling super down in the dumps now!!

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
I recently found out that my ring is on the way too [even though I'm not supposed to know...it was an accident that I found out!]! I don't think he's proposing for a few weeks, but I'm so excited! I want to get my nails done now even though I know I should wait until it's a little closer... :lol:

I'm pretty pale with very tiny hands (I can fit into kids' gloves most of the time), but also a nailbiter, so I typically get short French acrylics... I'm also wondering if a pretty colour would be better for the engagement. I think pink or lilac could be a pretty choice... for tan skin, I think a French would look pretty enough for pictures, but not so bright that it would distract from the ring!

wwmd8118

Shiny_Rock
confusedaisy|1302715133|2895085 said:
;( ;( ;(
Just got a mani during my lunch hour and I hate it. First, I went to a new place which I know is a huge no-no but I was so excited and thought it might be cool to find a go-to place around my job (I have 2 by my house). Well, they were so annoyed that I took a while picking out the color (like, hello- I'm getting engaged soon- this is a big decision for me!!), they were annoyed when I asked them to do things in a specific way (straight instead of round, short, no cuticles), and then the polish job was horrible- it looks super stripey. Ugh- I thought it best to just run out of there insted of asking them to fix it since they made me feel like a JERK for wanting them to do a good job (and I wasn't so sure they COULD do a good job...). Now I have to go home tonight and get another mani since I'm so unhappy! ;(
Excuse my rant but I am so annoyed. Oh, and the color I chose was a pearly pink. I don't hate the color, she just did such a horrible paint job on them. I'm feeling super down in the dumps now!!

confusedaisy - SO annoying!!!! I went and got my nails done before BF and I went on a cruise for our 4 year anniversary and I took forever picking out the polish for the same reason (I thought there would be a proposal...needless to say, I had a bit of a let down on that cruise ;( ) and the girls were the same way - they sort of had attitudes about me taking so long. Finally, I told them I was getting ready to go on a 4 year anniversary cruise and wanted my nails to look nice. Then the whole salon erupted and was all excited for me and all they talked about the whole time I was there was how I was getting engaged, even though I said it might not happen, blah, blah, blah. The owner told me to come back and see her after the cruise so she could see my ring. That didn't help with the let down later...and I haven't been back to that salon. But anyway, I've totally digressed and somehow made this about me. Whoops! Anyway, my point was that I had a similar experience and that was super annoying. But at least now you get to get pampered twice! Trying to see the bright side of things. :D Hope you're feeling better about the mani now. At least you'll have some beautiful bling on your hand VERY SOON!! :appl:

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
wwmd8118|1302733083|2895377 said:
confusedaisy|1302715133|2895085 said:
;( ;( ;(

confusedaisy - SO annoying!!!! I went and got my nails done before BF and I went on a cruise for our 4 year anniversary and I took forever picking out the polish for the same reason (I thought there would be a proposal...needless to say, I had a bit of a let down on that cruise ;( ) and the girls were the same way - they sort of had attitudes about me taking so long. Finally, I told them I was getting ready to go on a 4 year anniversary cruise and wanted my nails to look nice. Then the whole salon erupted and was all excited for me and all they talked about the whole time I was there was how I was getting engaged, even though I said it might not happen, blah, blah, blah. The owner told me to come back and see her after the cruise so she could see my ring. That didn't help with the let down later...and I haven't been back to that salon. But anyway, I've totally digressed and somehow made this about me. Whoops! Anyway, my point was that I had a similar experience and that was super annoying. But at least now you get to get pampered twice! Trying to see the bright side of things. :D Hope you're feeling better about the mani now. At least you'll have some beautiful bling on your hand VERY SOON!! :appl:

Thanks! Yep- I'm trying not to be too upset that I had to get them done twice. They look so pretty now- I can't be too upset ;-)
I feel the same way as you did before the cruise. I feel like I'm getting signs that it might be this weekend which is why I feel so on edge but I'm trying not to stress it just in case it's not this weekend. I'm trying to take it one hour at a time!

PrincessNuggz

Rough_Rock
I just had this dilemma last week!

I wanted something coral/pink/peachy but could not find my nail polish anywhere! I have no idea where I put it all when my boyfriend (whoops, fiancé!) and I moved in together last June. I remember where it was in my old apt... but cannot for the life of me find it here. I did find some red laying around, which I didn't really want to use because it's not the "springy" color I envisioned, but it's all I had. I would've gotten a manicure but I didn't have time...

Anyway, so I painted my nails red and didn't get proposed to when I had anticipated and by Sunday the paint started to chip. Not acceptable! So I searched the house again for my other nail polish and ended up stumbling upon my ring! I resisted the urge to look though, hard as it was.

I decided to just take the red nail polish off since it was chipping, forgetting that taking off red nail polish always leaves a rose glow on my fingertips as well as a thin red ring around my nail beds. Sheesh! It was mostly gone by the time the proposal actually went down on Monday night, but, obviously, having nice looking nails for pictures didn't go as planned... c'est la vie, I suppose!

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
oh this is a fun thread! :appl: confusedaisy, i know how you feel. My boyfriend and I are taking a trip to the country in June, but I was hoping that he would've proposed last week during our anniversary. Alas, that didn't happen :cry:

I normally get fire engine red ( :love: :love: :love: OPI shades) nails because I'm quite fair, but since my e ring is a pink sapphire I'm thinking i might have to get a french manicure as pink and red might be a bit clash-y.

you girls have now given me something else to obsess about. Boyfriend thinks it's hilarious that I'm on pricescope every single night and he's teasing that he might not propose until the last day of our trip (so not funny :angryfire: )...

NCSUchick27

Shiny_Rock
I have a Groupon for a $25 mani pedi that I am saving for the big event. It just needs to happen before October because that is when it expires.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm going on Thursday for a shellac manicure... I'm sure I'll just go with a pale pink.

inflorescence

Shiny_Rock
french manicure in my opinion, go to a spa and get them done :)...

Daisy, First of all sorry to hear about your bad experience with the nail place.. some are just plain JERKS! Another suggestion might be to have a girls night and get one of your best gf's to come over and paint each others nails.. I know it sounds a little young.. but sometimes my gf and I like to do it while having a glass of wine... (makes us feel younger.. as we have flashbacks to the start of high school/university) Plus she does a better job then the salons sometimes too.. cause she is patient and a perfectionist like me :)

crhq5c

Rough_Rock
I think this post is funny because my boyfriend was the one who jokingly told me when we started ring shopping that I should start taking care of my nails (I have always been a perpetual nail biter). I have since stopped biting my nails, and now that I know the ring is coming within the next 2 weeks, I have been keeping them nicely painted. The shade that I like the most is OPI Shanghai Shimmer. It is a light pink, but still has some color to it. I would highly recommend it. When I picture it in my head, it looks fantastic with my ring! :wink2:

wwmd8118

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm, well, on a whim I just got my nails done, and I couldn't help thinking when I was picking out the color - "will this be the color I'm wearing when he proposes??" So then I spent all this time choosing the perfect pale pink...just for it to turn out looking clear. Whoops. But whatever, they look better than they did beforehand. :rolleyes:

Who knows if this will be the important color or not... :lol:

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1302827857|2896431 said:
I'm going on Thursday for a shellac manicure... I'm sure I'll just go with a pale pink.
Love shellac manicures! I am currently sporting a shellac French manicure that still looks brand-new after a week.

For my engagement, I did a French manicure (all by myself!). I have always been big on having my nails done, so I don't think now-DH suspected anything. However, I was extra religious about it for a few weeks there!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
kittybean|1303255884|2900499 said:
Love shellac manicures! I am currently sporting a shellac French manicure that still looks brand-new after a week.

For my engagement, I did a French manicure (all by myself!). I have always been big on having my nails done, so I don't think now-DH suspected anything. However, I was extra religious about it for a few weeks there!

Haha! I am obsessed with painting my nails, too, so I don't think he will bat an eye. I'm excited to try shellac. I keep hearing great things about it. If there's any time I want my nails looking good for several weeks, it's now!

Eeek 4 days until Easter!

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
No polish for me. I love the way Kate Middleton looks in her engagement pictures with just short, buffed nails. It really lets the ring be the star!

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I love OPI bubble bath..its a very soft pale pink that I find myself reaching for on days I dont get a french manicure. :)

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1303316474|2900949 said:
kittybean|1303255884|2900499 said:

Haha! I am obsessed with painting my nails, too, so I don't think he will bat an eye. I'm excited to try shellac. I keep hearing great things about it. If there's any time I want my nails looking good for several weeks, it's now!

Eeek 4 days until Easter!
How was your shellac mani? Mine is still going strong after 10 days. I wish I had had the option of getting one for my wedding! I could have gotten my nails done a day or two earlier and saved myself some last-minute stress.

shootingstar

Rough_Rock
I was 'just' thinking about this yesterday and googled this exact subject last night! So I am glad I found this on here! Great fun thread:twirl:
I always do my nails, but love mostly dark and/or vivid colours. I am not really one to wear pale manicure a lot, but I feel for this occasion it's for the best. It shouldn't take the attention from the ring. So I am thinking either french, pale pink or neutral/nude tones work best. I am VERY picky with these!

Hospatogi|1303444653|2902414 said:
I love OPI bubble bath..its a very soft pale pink that I find myself reaching for on days I dont get a french manicure. :)

Thanks for this, I googled it and if it looks anything like this in person: http://polishhoarderdisorder.blogspot.com/2009/11/bubble-bath-bouquet.html I am getting it :appl:

I always do my own manicure, it's much easier than having to explain the shape I want, how I want the cuticles etc. I've been to a few places and I think I can do a better job than most manicurists, unfortunately (at least from what I experienced - and these weren't cheapo places). It would be nice to be pampered and all, but after ending up doing the shape of the nails and everything else at home and then going there just for the polish I figured it wasn't worth it :lol:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DIY mani: use OPI "Bubble Bath" after a good top coat of Essie. look me up for all of it. xoxox!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results