shape
carat
color
clarity

my ring aspirations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like you two had a successful day ring shopping! VERY exciting!!

Do you have pictures of the settings you looked at/narrowed it down to?

Btw, I didnt comment before but your OMC is so pretty. The sentimental value and history to the stone makes it even more beautiful. Are you definitely saving it for a RHR? Would you ever put it into a pendant?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Buena- where do you live??? I was actually at the Robbins in Philadelphia yesterday, getting my finger sized ONE LAST TIME in the heat. are you in the philly area? i thought i was the only LIW around here!

and I tried on rings a couple times at Robbins. they were pretty nice for the most part! though i always feel at first they don''t want to pay attention to us b/c we look young
14.gif
oh well, that happens everywhere. but they really do have a nice selection of settings! sooo exciting that your ring may be coming soon now too!
36.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Blue824 - I am pretty sure the OEC/OMC will be set into a ring setting. Although, I really like the idea of setting it into something else like a pendant.

This is actually a big dilemma for me. My grandmother''s stone will be noticeably bigger than the e-ring. He seemed to be leaning more towards around 1 carat stones with Ideal cut. Budget-wise, if my b/f wants to purchase a stone sometime in the next few months, I think the absolute largest carat weight would be 1.25-1.35 with an ideal cut. Anything larger is too much $$. I have not had my grandmother''s stone evaluated yet, but I am fairly certain it is around 2 carats or more. My b/f might be a little stressed about getting a stone to try to balance out the one I have. But I have been thinking about it, and do you all think that an e-ring and a wedding together should have enough presence to balance out a larger RHR??? I am thinking that a smaller stone in the e-ring (1 to 1.25 carat) might be perfect since the w-ring will probably have some melee which equals more blingage.

icekid - I live in the Baltimore, MD area. I went to their other store location in DE. I went to college near Philly, so I know you are not too far away!
2.gif
Also, a few of my close friends from college went to grad school at Jefferson and at UPenn so I used to be in the area a lot. I am up in the area fairly often for Alumni events or to meet up with friends who live in the Philadelphia city and suburbs. I am actually supposed to go with a friend of mine for her to try on bridal gowns. There is supposed to be a bridal shop in Philadelphia with gorgeous dresses for really good prices. I haven''t been yet, but I''ll let everyone know if I think the place is worth checking out.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I THINK THIS IS THE ONE!!! I was going from memory when I looked up the rings this morning, so I am pretty sure this is it but not completely sure. Regardless, it is close enough!
2.gif

Robbins had this exact ring and they also had this ring with sapphire pears instead of diamond pears. I tried both on. B/f seemed fascinated by the sapphire pears. He was asking me about gemstones after we left: is there a significance for having gemstones in an e-ring; do they have to be the person's birthstone; do gemstones make it look more like a class ring, etcetera
He said he had no idea that some e-rings have gemstone accent diamonds.

I think there is a good chance that it will be either this one with diamond pears, sapphires pears (since that might be the only gemstone it can come with? Plus, I LOVE blue), garnet pears (my birthstone), or emerald pears (his fav color).

Can anyone color the pears in on this picture to see what the combos would look like? Maybe njc? Thanks!!!

EDITED TO ADD the name of the designer of this ring:
SIMON G

SimonGloveit.jpg

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Here are more rings that b/f wrote down. I think there may have been one or two more, but this is all I could remember.

someBGpossibilities.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh Wow! It sounds like it will be any day now! Are you more xcited or more nervous? I love that tacoris one you posted...its pretty, perhaps if you make your OMC into a pendent you could get it made to match (Tacori has one at BBB that looks very similair). This is so exciting! Perhaps you will be engaged for the DC meeting and then we can all ohh and aww over your shiney!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock

Ooh, I really like the setting that you might get, I also really like the Scott Kay one. All around good choices though...now you just have to twiddle your thumbs and wait, I suppose...or snoop

1.gif

I think that stone would look awesome as a rhr. I guess that''s what I''d worry about, HIM thinking it overshadowed the rings he got you and that it couldn''t compare.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of a beautiful bezel set pendant for your grandmother''s stone...sort of like the top of the tacori setting. White gold or platinum. Then, you can wear your engagement ring/wedding band as a set on one hand or split them, and move it if you ever get a right hand ring...let hubby get that for you for an anniversary gift some time in the future? Men can be funny creatures...they want to be generous and see you covered in bling if you want to be, BUT their ego''s can cause issue if they did not provide it...

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my subpar attempt to add some sapphires hehee

SimonGloveit2.jpg

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooohhhhhh Buena, isn''t your ring adventure simply wonderful
30.gif
? It seems like just yesterday we were posting about our inherited stones, wondering what their futures would hold and now your BF comes up with the best thing of all, an e-ring entirely of his own (with a little PS knowledge thrown in
3.gif
)! I''m hoping that he goes with the Simon G, it is so perfect & pretty & YOU (and I''m a lover of colored sidestones, too- although them diamond pears are mighty fine!) It is all so exciting and romantic- I''m giddy and singing around the apartment "Buena''s getting a ring, Buena''s getting a ring"....

and I think you should get your inherited diamond in the rhr of your dreams, with those cool accents from your Sister''s ring, that amazing watch and that Tacori you love- make it blingy and kinda outlandish and it will be a whole other "ball of wax"...a fun gift that you give yourself to remind you of the wonderful people you inherited this love of diamonds from! NOTHING will overshadow your e-ring...it''s a dream only he can make true!

I''m on such a high right now for you...God, life is GOOD
9.gif
!

p.s. in case Matatora is reading this, I know its amost 6:30 am and I''m not at the gym- I promise I''m going right after work
3.gif
Love the LIW for workout motivation!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh Blue! I like the blue sidestones...I think I need one of each! And yes I am reading this FFF, move your bum!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for the delay... i usually stay away on the weekends... keeps me sane!
26.gif

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Simon G ring!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
And i am so happy you had such a great experience at Robbins. I loved it when we visited and was disapointed when FI didnt get my ring from there... they were just so nice and relaxed!
9.gif
10.gif

Soooooo, here is my attempt at garnet side stones. If i got the color wrong, please someone correct me!

simong_garnet.jpg

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Emerald...
30.gif

simong_emerald.jpg

njc

Brilliant_Rock
And my personally fav.... SAPHIRRES!!!
30.gif
31.gif
23.gif
18.gif
3.gif
9.gif
10.gif
There is just something about saph & diamonds that drives me crazy!

simong_saphirre.jpg

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
OOOOOHHHHHH, Buena- njc did such a great job with those colors, I bet your BF would flip if he saw the emerald mock-up! (I personally love them all, garnets would be very yummy too & sapphires are pure perfection) Decisions, decisions
3.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I''ll take one of each, thanks!
31.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
njc and Blue824 -
Thank you both for the photoshop magic!!! A few minutes ago I tried to get a little info out of my b/f to see if he had made any decisions regarding which setting and he would not tell me A THING! I did mention that I really liked the sapphire pears as opposed to say emeralds for example (seeing the photoshopped emeralds confirms that I don''t think it would be the look for me).

Matatora - I had been really excited up until a few minutes ago. Since b/f won''t even tell me if he has decided on a setting yet, it makes me nervous that he will procrastinate or get a setting on his own that I did not try on. I now have this little tiny seed of doubt that the purchase won''t go as smoothly and quickly as what I had thought it would based on Saturday''s experience. I think he is just playng around, though, just to keep some element of surprise. But I don''t know for sure. I am still about 95% sure that he has plans in the near future to buy a diamond and one of the settings from Robbins and I am still really excited; just not quite as excited as when I felt 100% sure.

diamondfan - That is so true about men!!! Especially my b/f!

fountainfairfax - Woohooo! All of the decisions, and searching, etc. will hopefully come to fruition soon! Thanks for being an excellent sounding board for my ideas! There''s more to come when I finally start working on what to do with the OEC/OMC.
2.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to mention one thing about the Simon G setting. You may have seen other posts of mine about Simon G. If you haven''t, then I need to mention that my family ADORES Simon G!!! My sister and mom both have Simon G RHRs and some other jewelry by him. I don''t have any.
7.gif
There was one ring that I had wanted and almost bought, but I kept putting the purchase off (for over a year). The store near me sold all they had of it and I missed my chance.

My b/f knows how I L
30.gif
VE Simon G and that I have wanted some of his rings but never purchased one. That is another reason why I think that setting might be THE ONE. Having a Simon G e-ring would be really special to me!
9.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Love Simon G! Any chance you''ll have it on your finger by the August DC get-together?

DiamondLil

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2005 2:08:52 PM
Author: diamondlil
Love Simon G! Any chance you''ll have it on your finger by the August DC get-together?

DiamondLil
Heheheee...I wish!!! I guess it is possible.
9.gif
But I wouldn''t be surprised if it took longer like at least until this Fall. B/f still has to find THE diamond to go into a setting.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2005 2:08:52 PM
Author: diamondlil

DiamondLil

If Buena doesn''t get her ring in time for the August get-together then I''m going to have to make a special trip just to take them to dinner & stare at the ring...no pressure or anything (directed at Buena''s future FI
3.gif
)

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
fountainfairfax- Hahahaa! I''ll make HIM pay for dinner!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
BG: If your guy is at all like my hubby, then get ready because he WILL come through, but will want it all to be on his terms...timing, setting, etc. Again, the male ego is a wonderous thing...and we women all know how to make a man THINK it was his way but we have really masterminded it all! Sometimes, I find if I back off a bit it really messes with him...no more comments, no more hints...that really throws them. Then he might ask, why have you been so quiet about such and such? And I say, well you know what I want and I have made it very obvious, so I guess that ball is in your court now and I know you will do something great!!! (works every time for my hubby). Above all else, GOOD LUCK and I am pulling for you. (this is all spoken with 15 years married experience!
face1.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Bless your heart I know hat boys can be silly at times. But I am witht the other ladies. Men have this notion that thess thing ought to be a surprise...personally I think they ought to give us notices so we can get our nails done and be sure to dress in something that will look good in photos.....but then thats never going to happen. Still I think it is romantic that he cares enough to want to creat e that perfect moment for you.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
They do never think about the moment and how you want to have your hair look good etc...a friend of mine told me that for her 40th her husband planned a surprise party...but told her they were going to a country club to play tennis. Need I tell anyone her feelings when she showed up to the party and was in her tennis clothes and dirty hair and no make-up?! SHe wanted to kill him...

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2005 4:17:22 PM
Author: Matatora
...personally I think they ought to give us notices so we can get our nails done and be sure to dress in something that will look good in photos......
You would be so proud: I had been taking a nails break for a while, but last month I had tips and acrylic put on for some parties and a wedding that were this month. I have been getting fill-ins and keeping my nails looking nice. They are so ring ready!
2.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2005 5:14:33 PM
Author: diamondfan
They do never think about the moment and how you want to have your hair look good etc...a friend of mine told me that for her 40th her husband planned a surprise party...but told her they were going to a country club to play tennis. Need I tell anyone her feelings when she showed up to the party and was in her tennis clothes and dirty hair and no make-up?! SHe wanted to kill him...
Aacckkk!!! That''s terrible!!!!!!!

One of my friends went back a later day with her FI to the place where he proposed. She had her hair and make-up done and they were both dressed nicely. They took their "engagement pictures" that day!
28.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2005 1:42:17 AM
.....Sometimes, I find if I back off a bit it really messes with him...no more comments, no more hints...that really throws them. Then he might ask, why have you been so quiet about such and such? And I say, well you know what I want and I have made it very obvious, so I guess that ball is in your court now and I know you will do something great!!! (works every time for my hubby). Above all else, GOOD LUCK and I am pulling for you. (this is all spoken with 15 years married experience!
face1.gif
I am having a lot more trouble with the keeping quiet part than I thought that I would! We work at the same office, and today I went over to his desk and told him that I forgot to tell him one really important thing for his ring shopping: "Remember to look for a diamond that has sparkle sparkle sparkle fire fire fire and more sparkle!!!" He was like, "Get back to work."
9.gif
20.gif

Also, I was really good on Sunday. But yesterday and today I was bugging him to find out if the diamondtologist had emailed him about more diamonds in stock. HE WON''T TELL ME!!! I''ll have to remember that patience is a virtue, yadayadayadaaaa...
26.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is so smart...you do not want your memories to include "God I look not my best..." or "why was I wearing THAT?" Men are a bit less concerned about that stuff...but as someone who looks really tired and sickly without makeup I would HATE that to be what I think of when I looked at photos. PS You sound A LOT like me when I have something on my brain. Maybe if you chanted a mantra that calms you (I am not talking in a new agey way but more like, "it''ll happen, patience") and when you are feeling stressed and like you want to bombard him, walk away, say this and count to ten. Maybe the urge will pass! Then you will feel more controlled and he will wonder why you have not said anything!!!! Just a suggestion so you don''t overwork yourself...

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2005 10:51:06 PM
Maybe if you chanted a mantra that calms you (I am not talking in a new agey way but more like, ''it''ll happen, patience'') and when you are feeling stressed and like you want to bombard him, walk away, say this and count to ten. Maybe the urge will pass! Then you will feel more controlled and he will wonder why you have not said anything!!!! Just a suggestion so you don''t overwork yourself...
Sounds like an excellent plan!!! Thank you
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results