shape
carat
color
clarity

Movement--Went Ring Shopping!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have movement, people!

BF and I went ring shopping today, and it went so well. It was more than just ring shopping, I suppose, because we met with an excellent local jeweler who drew up a design and took notes and is going to get back to BF with a price quote within a week.

All I''m going to say is the design is STUNNING, and I can''t wait to get it in my hot little hands. Well, I guess I''m going to have to wait, because of that whole must-wait-for-actual-proposal-to-put-ring-on-finger business. But I''m excited!

I was just worrying about BF taking so long to commit (as I''m sure you all remember from my lengthy ranting posts,) and he just divulged that he''d been searching for settings and stones since November, but he hasn''t purchased anything yet, and we decided to design the ring together. He''s on his own for picking out the stone, though, I want that to be all his doing.

We''re finally inching our way forward, can''t wait to have some hand pics for you all soon!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!! Have you 100% decided on this design, so all that''s left is to do the ordering and find the stone?

That''s very exciting. I hope your "wait" isn''t too much longer!

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Well....what does it look like? Details please!

Congratulations!!!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven - congrats on the movement! I think you''re a fellow Chicagoan; do you mind mentioning who you''re using for your ring if it''s indeed someone local?

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
great news!! now you have real, solid, concrete movement, not just words!! any day now!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, guys!

Dee--I am a Chicagoan, but I''m using a jeweler located out in the northwest suburbs in Buffalo Grove, Burdeen''s Jewelry. They''ve been in the business for years, and they do extremely fine work. I actually found them through my parents; my mother lost her diamond bracelet so my father is having Mr. Burdeen design a new one for her, and I just went along for the ride one day to make sure he was using a reputable jeweler. When I saw their pieces I almost fell to the floor--the work is so well done, and their pave jewelry is amazing. I spent almost an hour chatting it up with one of their employees, who was extremely knowledgeable and she let me try on every single ring in the store. We were very impressed with their service, so hopefully it will work out well.

Okay, now for the ring. I''ve always wanted a cushion cut yellow sapphire instead of a diamond, so that is what we''ll use for the stone. And I know it''s "trendy" but I fell in love with the first James Allen pave halo I saw, so it''s going to have a very delicate pave halo, and then the shank is going to be very thin (1.8 mm-ish, I think) and it will have 3-sided teeny tiny bead set diamonds. It''s going to be platinum, as well, instead of white gold. Oh, and all the diamonds in the setting will be white diamonds, the only yellow will be the center stone.

I''m so excited! BF is going to pick out the sapphire, so it''s going to be fun to see what he finds. He was really involved in the entire process, and he obviously spent a lot of time researching because he knew what he was talking about. I have some pictures of rings that inspired the design at home, so I''ll post them as soon as I''m back at my computer.

Thanks again for all your support! It really was surreal to be in the store with BF trying rings on, makes the whole thing extremely serious and real.

OH, and I have a question for everyone--BF has wanted a nice watch for ages now, what do you think of gifting him a fancy shmancy watch after he proposes? He loves Breitling, I believe, and the watches start around $1800, which I can definitely swing. I think he shouldn''t miss out on all the engagement bling, right? Do I tell him I''m going to buy a watch and let him pick it out, like he''s doing for me with my ring? Or do I surprise him? Or is it bizarre to even give him anything at all?

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on the ring - sounds like it is going to be beautiful!

As for the watch, I would get him one (perhaps asking an opinon on one if you pass a store or something) but wait until after the actual propsal to give it to him as an egagement gift. Let him enjoy giving you that ring and then a day or two later, give him the watch. Just my opinon though..

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven, I''ve heard very good things about Burdeen''s and I can''t wait to see your ring when it''s finished!

Picos

Rough_Rock
Congradulations!

On the watch...I asked my fiancé (a day after he proposed) if he could show me some watches that he liked. He recently lost his watch & have no clue what to get him when it comes to watches. I then asked if he''d mind if I got it engraved (if it''s possiable). Since my ring is being resized I decided to wait ''till I got the ring (again!!) and then I''ll give him the watch the same day.

whenharrymetsally

Shiny_Rock
oohh Congratulations! It sounds like it will be a stunning ring!!! Wan''t wait to see it!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I can''t wait to see pictures. it sounds beautiful and your sweetie pie sounds wonderful
9.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww, thanks guys for all your encouraging words!

Now that I''ve had some time to reflect on yesterday, the whole thing was so surreal--I''ve spent so much time on PS looking at everyone''s gorgeous jewelry, but to actually design MY OWN, and to know that it''s coming with a marriage proposal--it literally feels unreal. Unreal in a very exciting, ohmygoshIcan''tbelievethisisreallyhappening sort of way.

I''m liking the watch idea more and more--I think it would be so nice to give him a great piece of jewelry, too. He''s been pining away for a good watch for ages, yet he hasn''t taken the plunge yet. My guess is he thinks it''s silly to spend so much on a watch, so I''ll have to do it for him.

Stephanie--I think you''re right, I''ll wait a bit after he proposes so he can relish all
the good feelings that come with giving someone something so beautiful.

Dee--I''m so glad to hear you''ve heard good things about Burdeen''s. I must say I was shocked with the quality of the pieces when I walked in there--the retail store is located in a small strip mall so I wasn''t that optimistic, but the details on those custom rings--just gorgeous. Their employees are absolutely charming, too, which made the day even sweeter. I feel like going back just to visit the pieces!

Skippy--Thanks! BF IS a sweetie pie, I just love him so much. He''s really getting into the whole design process, maybe I can turn him into a jewelry fiend like me!

I will DEFINITELY update as soon as I a) hear about any more progress, or b) become engaged!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yah! Keep us posted
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results