shape
carat
color
clarity

LIW Bootcamp

Re: Bridal Bootcamp anyone?

Still no weight loss, but oh my God my abs are burning after yesterday's strength training! I know something must be changing in my body, because my long-neglected muscles are feeling it, so I figure it must be a matter of time until it starts to manifest itself in more visible ways.

Did anybody watch Biggest Loser last night? I've never really watched before, but I thought it might be good inspiration, so I put it on last night. But twin 9 lb. weight gain? How is that even possible? Even I am doing better than that!

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock

I don't watch Biggest Loser, although I like some reality shows and I bet I could get on board with it (I do watch the new MTV show "I Used to be Fat").

I don't understand my muscles' reaction to last night's major workout. I did abs, which I haven't done in months, and they don't really burn today, only slightly. I also did squats and stuff, which again I haven't done in months but my thighs get a workout every single time I use the elliptical, which is several times a week, and they hurt so bad today that lowering myself into a chair is an ordeal. I thought they'd be more used to the work and not hurt? Either way I'm still sitting pretty at 129.4. Dang it! This Sunday makes 20 weeks so it should make 20 pounds of loss, but if I still hang out at 129.4, it'll still only be about 17. Ugh.

HaloBelle

Shiny_Rock

Hi ladies! Congrats on all the wonderful work, sounds like although it has been challenging for a couple of you this week you are all still pumped about it and supportive. I have been out of internet reach for a week (bleeegh) and will be out of internet again for almost week starting tomorrow. I will be back on Tuesday and I am going to sports authority tomorrow or Saturday to pick up a measuring tape and mayyybe the nike/apple thing where it slips into your shoe and can act like a pedometer and exercise analyst. Maybe.

Bad news: My gym is awesome and I had to move two hours away. :( It is killing me that I have an awesome gym membership, motivation, and no way of going to it!!! Oh well, it runs out in 3 months so there is no point in 'canceling' it.

Good news: I got my wii all hooked up to netflix so I can start some exercise videos!! So excited, here's to hoping that my 4 day vacay does not impede this excitement.

Keep it up with all the enthusiasm and support for one another, I will be back on Tuesday to start actively participating. :) Oh! And I started tracking my food on spark people. I eat very similar things most days of the week because I will cook on Monday and eat leftovers for a couple days, same coffee, etc. and on the food tracker you can "copy meal to another day" SUPER handy in cutting down on the time consumption! Also, When I "go out" or cook certain things I generally use the same method so I spent a few hours the other day imputing "my foods" the way I order them or cook them so I can add one food and it incorporates the whole meal. Makes it a lot simpler. Anyone notice that even in the food calculator it is easier to 'eat' fast food because all of the facts are in there already? depressing. :read:

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock

Unlucky, that happens to me sometimes, too. I feel like I know what should be sore and what shouldn't, based on my normal routine, but my body has other ideas. I just about never have any soreness in my legs, but then one day I'll go for a run and my thighs will burn. Random. I'm sure it has something to do with some slight changes, like maybe the terrain I was running on was a little different from my norm, so I was using my muscles in slightly different ways. Meanwhile, my abs are still burning from Tuesday's strength training. They have not been worked in any way in a looooooong time.

I'm still trying to run a little at a time. I'm having a little trouble with my breathing due to the cold weather and, yanno, me being out of shape and whatnot, so I'm doing run/walk intervals for now. I hope I'll be back up to normal speed in a few months. Still no weight loss. I'm hovering just above] my starting weight. Obnoxious. But I perservere. I ran on the towpath by my house this morning. It's still covered in an inch or so of snow. It's like running on sand. I could really feel that I was working a lot harder, without the usual spring of my rubber soles bouncing off the road. I didn't realize it would be that much harder, but I got through it.

I signed up for a ballet class that starts Monday! I haven't done ballet (or worn a leotard or tights) in at least a year, and I'm very nervous! But it's just an adult beginner class that supposedly caters to all ages and fitness levels. So here's hoping I won't a) die or b) embarrass myself too badly. I have big dreams.

ETA: Oh, and jespere, I love my Nike Plus and my Wii. I'm totally antisocial about working out, so I hate going to the gym. Nike Plus and the Wii are my workout buddies. If you have an iPod or iPhone, a voice will announce when you hit a milestone or when you're almost done, then congratulate you when you finish. If you use the wristband, there's no voice feedback but you can stare at your wrist obsessively the whole time like I used to and use the website to set a training plan that keeps you accountable. I love it. But you have to like walking or running, obviously.

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock

Hey y'all. Keep on keepin on!

Weighed in at 129.2 today. I've finally gotten pretty discouraged about not losing for a while. I know the last two Sundays I've weighed in in the 128s, but those have been glitches amongst other days where I seem to be solidly 129.4 and 129.6. I finally posted in the support forums on SparkPeople and people have been pretty nice with suggestions about how to break the plateau. One person suggested I get away from the elliptical and move back to the treadmill with incline intervals. Another person reminded me that to get rid of the jiggles I need to incorporate strength training. And another person said that I should start measuring each and every food again since she had been on Weight Watchers for a year and thought she knew what a cup or 3 oz looked like but her mind's eye had gotten bigger and gradually dished out bigger portions if she didn't measure. I don't think that's a problem with me, but it doesn't hurt I guess to just make sure. I'm going to make all three of those changes this week and hopefully I'll see some progress next week. This week was week 20 so I was supposed to be 20 pounds down and weigh in at 126. Being 3.2 pounds behind seems to me like being almost a whole month behind, which is essentially true since on December 19 I weighed 129.6. Bummer.

Hope y'all are having better weeks than me (again).

kateydid05

Shiny_Rock

Well I only lost .2 this week to an even 129. I shouldn't even count that loss, haha. On Friday I really wanted pizza so there's that part. I also stepped up my workouts at the gym because it has gotten too easy ( :bigsmile: ). I feel so confident to be doing better and blowing past all the guys!! This is an MMA gym and I am the only girl that consistently goes. Sometimes I'll get looks from newer guys like "oh wow there's a girl in here? This must be easy" and then they are quickly proven wrong. It's a rough workout but I love the fast paced intensity.

On another note, I tried on some clothes from over last summer, in particular a pair of board shorts that were tight when I went on vacation back in August. Well, they are so big that they look ridiculous!! I tried on a smaller pair of boarshorts and while I can get them on, they are a little tight so it's a work in progress!! I definitely feel good though.

Unlucky, I defintely second the weighing food thing and switching up the elliptical trainer. I would also suggest adding more fruits/veggies to see if that makes a difference. Being behind 3.2 is nothing! Just tweek a few things and see what works better and you'll get back on track. I find that when I'm feeling discouraged I do something that I was not able to a few months ago...trying on smaller clothes or feeling pride after a workout that I would have never made it through alive before. It helps to get over the bumps.

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock

Hey Katie, congrats on staying on track another week! And congrats on the smaller clothing! I remember the feeling of taking in a dress that I bought this summer over Thanksgiving; it was huge and baggy everywhere. It's a good feeling, isn't it?

I'm definitely covered on the fruits and veggies. I have fruit for breakfast every morning and several times a week for a snack I'll make a fruit-yogurt-granola parfait or a strawberry-banana-yogurt smoothie. I eat veggies with every single lunch and dinner-- it gets boring sometimes but my partner really drives home the point that a meal isn't complete without them, so that helps. So I guess the next step is to get off the elliptical. Yesterday I did do the elliptical because someone else was on the treadmill, but I incorporated a new strength training routine and today I'm hoping to get on the treadmill with interval inclines. I also got in a little jog this morning when I was late for the bus. ;-)

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock

Week 2 and I'm weighing in at the same weight as last time 146.2. I would be more disappointed in myself, except some very serious issues came up last week and I was completely unable to control my time for exercise. One of my best friends found out she was pregnant and had a baby in a span of three hours! Yes, she went to the hospital at 4:30 AM complaining of horrible stomach pains and gave birth to a baby girl at 7:30 AM. The baby is full term (7.5 pounds) and is 100% healthy and fine. But, my friend and her BF did not have anything for a baby. So, those of us in our little circle of friends spent the entire past four days getting things ready for them to come home. And I seriously mean pretty much every minute. So, we grabbed food when and where we could. I certainly did not have time for serious exercising. I'm hoping this week will be somewhat normal so that I can get back on track.

Kateydid05, that's so exciting that your old clothes are so big on you! Last time I lost weight, I remember getting so excited every time I could tighten my belt notch!

UnluckyTwin, I'm sorry you're in a rut. But, I think if you make those changes this week, you will see progress. Sometimes we just need to change it up a bit. Last summer when I lost weight, I actually lost more pounds on vacation than I had been at home despite eating out and lounging on the beach. I think it was because my primary exercise on vacation was swimming in the ocean. So, a little change does go a long way!

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock

Ahh!! She should sign up for that TV show, "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant." That's insane!! How awesome that she has so much support. I would seriously freak out if I were in her position.

Good reasoning about swimming in the ocean! That would probably never occur to me.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock

I can't even imagine just having a baby one day without any knowledge or preparation! She's lucky to have such good friends. I'm sure she really needs the support!

Well, I never posted my starting weight before, because I was embarrassed, but I will now, because it's hard to track progress without it. I'm huge. I started out a few weeks ago now at a whopping 178. Enormous. And I'm totally apple shaped, so it's all flab around my midsection. I'm narrow through my hips and thigh. I just have a huge tummy, lovehandles, the works. Yuck. Anyway, my BMI puts my in the "obese" range, although just barely. A few lbs. lost would put me in "overweight." I'm looking forward to that! Well, as you know, in the first few weeks my weight went UP, not down, just to be obnoxious. The healthier I ate and the more I exercised, the worse it would be. I was weighing in solidly at 180 last week, which sucked. I did splurged a little with a turkey burger and potato chips this weekend, but I ate healthy meals otherwise. I've been running about 2 miles every other day, exercising on the Wii on off days, and yesterday I started taking ballet again, for the first time in a long time. I was by far the largest girl in the class. Usually I stay near the back of the room, but yesterday, the teacher put me right up front, so I could see every bulge clearly in the mirror. Yuck. But...it was fun. I love ballet, and I've missed it. I've lost all my flexibility, ankle strength, etc., so it was hard, but good.

I did a 2-mile run this morning, had breakfast, and weighed in. 177.9. Ha! I am officially 0.1 lbs. below my starting weight! So ridiculous, but I'm so thrilled to see a number, ANY number, that is lower than where I started. Any progress is good progress! I also get my period this week, which always makes me gain a little, so I'm hoping after that's over, the weight will finally start to drop. Can't wait to rejoin the ranks of the just-overweight-not-obese! Hopefully soon!

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock

Hey Blacksand! It sounds like the changes you are making are good for your body, regardless of the number on the scale. Since you're adding a whole lot of exercise, remember that when your muscles heal after a workout, they retain fluid to rebuild and make more mitochondria (the parts of the cells that give you energy). Believe me, I know it SUCKS to not see the number go down and ESPECIALLY to see it go up (see, oh, I don't know, my last like TEN POSTS). But right now I'm clinging desperately to the idea that, come 1.5 weeks from now when it's time to take my measurements again, I'll see a reduction in size (thanks to muscle replacing fat) even if I don't see a reduction in weight. (Please please please please please.) Do you take your measurements? It'll prove to be a better way to measure when the scale isn't moving (or isn't moving as quickly as we'd like) and the reduction in body size is too gradual to notice every day. I'm really glad you had fun at your ballet class!

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock

BlackSand, I'm glad you had fun at ballet too! I love love love ballet! I was a late starter, started taking classes around 14. But, my sisters were both in ballet long before I was and I have always loved it. I would like to find an adult class somewhere in my area, but I probably won't be able to afford it until after student teaching ends anyways. So, I will start looking more then. Have you ever tried the NYC Ballet workout videos? I haven't but according to my sister they are awesome! She said they really shouldn't be used by anyone without a background in ballet though because it does require some knowledge of technique. She is a big advocate for them though and you may want to give them a try. She has volume 2 and not volume 1 just in case you go to buy them.

BF has decided to join me in this quest. He has gained about 40 pounds in the past year or so. We bought P90X but it's not here yet. Hopefully we can stick with it through the whole program. Since we are both very competitive, we decided to make our weight loss a competition. Originally we decided that he was going to aim for a 15% loss of his body weight and I was going to aim for 12%. Whoever got there first would win and the loser would have to buy us a nice dinner. But, BF claims that he may not want to lose that much weight because he wants to gain more muscle. So, we have lowered it to 7% and 5.3% respectively. It seems relatively easy for me to win, as long as I keep up with everything. Here's hoping!

kateydid05

Shiny_Rock

Mayflowers...P90X is INTENSE!!! I did that about a year and a half ago and really enjoyed it. Don't give up on it because it is a lot of work but the payoff is really good. I particularly like the AbRipper disc. Good luck and have fun! :bigsmile:

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock

What is P90X all about? I hear so much buzz about it but I don't even know what it is. Is it basically circuit training? I know it's quite expensive; would love to know if it's worth it.

MayFlowers, ballet classes are on the expensive side, unfortunately. I figure since I don't pay for a gym membership, it's justifiable, but I wish I could take more than one class a week.

The snow seems determined to mess up my running schedule. Grrrr. I really need a treadmill.

kateydid05

Shiny_Rock

P90X is about 6 days of working out, about an hour a day. Workouts include: yoga, kenpo (sorta like kickboxing), intense cardio, plyometrics (really intense), legs/back workouts (like wall sit, pull ups, lunges), chest exercises (push ups, dumb bells), back/biceps, shoulders/arms, stretches, and ab work.

It also is combined with a nutrition program for you to build muscle and recover from workouts. If you follow both of these then the program works very well. If you don't eat well then the workouts are worse (in my opinion anyway).

It is really intense and at the beginning I could barely get through anything. I have since tried a work out since losing some weight and doing my MMA stuff and blew through it. The only reason why I stopped is because neighbors moved into the apartment downstairs and I was jumping around a lot. I didn't want to be disrespectful.

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock

So do you have to have a whole home gym to do P90X or just a set of dumbbells? I'm guessing it's through DVDs?

I also used the NYC Ballet workout videos (I did ballet for 15 years)-- I loved them too! Just wanted to offer a +1 on that.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for the info. It sounds good, but I still have trouble imagining how it all comes together. I guess it's nice to have such a variety of activities, though. Maybe I'll try it sometime, if I can get it secondhand. I think I should probably be in slightly better shape before trying it, too. It sounds intense.

I have had the NYC Ballet workout book for years now, since before they made the videos, I think. I enjoy the book, but I must admit I spend more time looking at the beautiful pictures (especially Nicolaj Hubbe!) than doing the exercises. I would definitely like to try the videos sometime. That might be a good way to supplement my ballet class, since it's only once a week. Thanks for the idea!

kateydid05

Shiny_Rock

Unlucky, you do not need much to do these workouts and yes they are DVDs. They recommend a mat of some sort, resistance bands, and maybe a set of dumbbells (small ones like 3-5 pounds and maybe a larger set like 8-10lbs was fine for me) and a good bit of space to do the workouts in your home. The pull ups are tricky if you don't have the right hardware (somewhere to hang the resistance bands or one of those over the door pull up things). Most of it is using your own body weight. They try to teach you alternatives if you can't do the normal exercises or if you do not have the equipment.

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock

Weigh-in day... Today I weighed in at 128.4, which is a break from the usual 129.2 that I've been seeing all week and expect to see again starting tomorrow. It's like the scale knows what day it is and that I'm writing down the number! Still trying not to be too discouraged. I did 4 cardio sessions and 4 strength training sessions this week. One more week and then it's time for me to take measurements to see if I've lost anything inch-wise even if I've not lost pounds. Good luck to everyone else.

kateydid05

Shiny_Rock

Down 1.6 this week to 127.4. Definitely very happy about that. I was only able to go kickboxing once last week because we got hit with a snow storm and they closed it. I'm super excited to see that I am nearing my goal! :bigsmile:

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock

Congrats, katey! I'm always amazed by your progress.

Incidentally, I weighed in at 127.6 this morning. Maybe I actually did lose last week and was just retaining fluid from a strength training session on Saturday when I weighed in yesterday? That would be nice.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock

Checking in at 145.0! While it isn't much of a loss, I have been really sick with the flu since Friday. So, I only got in a couple of cardio sessions last week and the rest of the time I have been in bed. BF and I got P90X on Thursday, but since I was already starting to feel sick, we haven't started it yet.

Congrats to both of you all on your losses this week! Hopefully when I check in next week, I will have another loss and I won't be sick any more!

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock

Aw, get better!

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock

Favorite weigh-in EVER! So all of my month of complaining that I wasn't losing is much better now. I finally lost this week (which, at 127.2, makes a grand total of about 1 pound for the month), but more importantly, in the 4 weeks since I last measured and haven't been seeing the number on the scale go down, I lost inches everywhere except in my saddlebags, including 1" off my waist, 2" across my stomach/love handles, 0.75" off my hips, 0.5" off my thigh, and 0.5" off my butt. So I'm still shrinking! I wish the saddlebags would start to shrink, especially since I've been doing a lot of outer thigh exercises, but I guess our bodies don't care about our wishes!

How is everyone else doing?

kateydid05

Shiny_Rock

Congrats on the shrinking measurements, Unlucky!! :bigsmile:

I did not lose this week. I stayed the same at 127.4. Better than gaining but over the past few weeks I seem to have slowed down on my weight loss. I know this week I am retaining water thanks to that stupid time of the month but I'm beginning to wonder what I need to do to jumpstart these last few pounds. I can't really add more gym time to the mix because I need to get school work done and I'm staying within my points for the day (probably could eat a little better though, couldn't hurt). I'm trying to stay positive because I'm almost there!

On the plus side, I fit into another pair of even smaller jeans, which leaves one more pair I'd like to fit back into before I'm out of jeans. I have also noticed a lot more muscle (even some abs starting to poke through) and the cellulite around my legs has reduced--VERY happy about that. For me the kicker in my self-confidence is that although I'd rather be down a few more pounds before getting into a bikini, I would not cry if I had to do it right now...I think that says a lot!

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock

Weighed in this morning at 144.3! It's not a huge loss. But I was still sick until Thursday and decided to give myself the rest of the week off from working out just to make sure I didn't push myself too hard and then get sick again. I've got tons to do tonight for teaching tomorrow. So, it doesn't look like I will be working out tonight either. But, I'm ready to get back into the groove of things.

BF has lost almost 9 pounds already! So, I really need to get my butt moving so I don't lose our bet!

Congrats to you UnluckyTwin for losing so many inches! That must be exciting!! One thing that BF and I did (as embarrassing as it was) was to take before pictures of ourselves. Then, when we reach our goals, we will take after pictures! I did this last summer and loved looking at the huge difference between the sets of pictures!

KateyDid05, I'm so glad you are getting a boost in self-confidence! I think that's one of the things I really want out of this as well. Congrats on losing cellulite! That's also something I'm very self-conscious about right now and I would love for it to just be gone!

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock

I feel like I relate so much to everything y'all are saying! Glad to be doing this journey together.

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock

My weigh-in today was stupid and I don't want to talk about it. :nono:

Okay so it's not really THAT bad but I am not recording that number ANYWHERE. All week my weight continued to drop from last Sunday, and I was hanging out in the 126s, which is the lowest I've been in a loooong time. Two days this week I ate a little bit under my calorie range and didn't even feel hungry, and I haven't cheated other days. Wednesday night I was watching MTV's reality show "I Used to be Fat" and the girl who was losing weight was doing a lot of running on a treadmill with a goal to run a 10-minute mile. That got me wondering about my own capabilities, plus I started thinking about celebrities who have taken up running and how great their bodies look, so I thought on Thursday I'd try running. I knew also that, even though I've added strength training to my routine, I was still on the elliptical and it was time to vary the cardio. So I ran on Thursday and Friday (I cannot BELIEVE I can run 1.25 miles without stopping--that's a long way for someone who used to quit after about 2 minutes!) and I guess my muscles are building (so sore!, which means the elliptical doesn't really mimick running like I thought it did) so they're getting heavier and retaining fluid and the number on the scale has shot up. I'm not going to worry about it but I'm also NOT going to write it down. I'm going to keep on believing that my "true" weight is still somewhere in the 126's. On Tuesday or Wednesday, I can't remember which now, it was 126.0, which incidentally is exactly 20 pounds down from when I started in September at 146.0.

Given that running has made me sore, I'm going to stick with it and do it a few more times this week. I do have some eating challenges ahead though-- BF's birthday falls on Valentine's Day, so yesterday I made him a birthday cake, today we're celebrating V-Day and I'm making us red velvet cupcakes, and for his bday on Monday we're having take-out. I'll try not to go crazy--just one cupcake for me, please (okay maybe 2)--but I'll also need to be careful the rest of the week and definitely get in the exercise if I want to see a loss next Sunday.

Goodness this has gotten long. Good luck to everyone else, I look forward to hearing from y'all!

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock

Aww, UnluckyTwin, I'm sorry that you didn't see the number you wanted this week. But good for you for running 1.25 miles without stopping! I know I couldn't do that yet! Also wanted to add that I'm glad I'm on this journey with you all as well!

The weather is finally warming up here and so I would also like to start running. I ran in high school for sports and I realize now that I looked my best then. I bought an app for my iPhone that uses the Couch to 5K program. It basically allows you to listen to your music, but alerts you when to run and when to walk. I know that I won't be able to run very far without stopping at first. So, I'm hoping this app will be a good guide for me just starting out.

I don't expect to see much of a loss tomorrow. BF and I had a cheat day on Thursday. Then I went out to eat with friends yesterday and today BF is taking me out for our Valentine's dinner. I didn't eat horrible when I went out yesterday and I watched my portions carefully. But, I'm still sure it wasn't too great. I'm also already worried about next week's weigh in as well. This week I am solo teaching at my school. So, I am responsible for everything that my mentor teacher does in a week (she won't be in the room all week), plus I also have to deal with the detailed lesson plans, assessments, homework, etc. that is required by my college advisor. Talk about stressful!!

Also, BF and I STILL have not started P90X. I want our off day to be on Thursdays, since I student teach and then go straight to a night class on Thursdays. So, I hope that we will start this Friday. Sorry this is long, but I love that I can come here and talk to you all about all this!

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock

I've heard really good stuff about the Couch to 5K program! After I did my runs on Thursday and Friday I thought I'd Google running a bit to see what came up and C25K came up a lot. I saw a lot of programs that start off with just running a minute or 2 with long stretches of walking and they said one thing beginners do is think they have to run too fast too long too hard, and starting off slowly for short time periods is the way better way to go. I also saw something about not increasing the distance more than 10% per week. On Thursday I ran 1 mile and then on Friday I got all cocky and wanted to see how far I could go without stopping so I ran 1.25 (wasn't dying yet, but I definitely wanted to quit so I did and figured I'd do 1.5 the next time)-- oops!! Today I stuck with just 1 mile since I'm still in my first week. Later this week I'll up it to 1.1 miles and perhaps aim for 10% more each week until I've achieved about a 30-minute run (which at my current pace is almost 3 miles). Remember, it's the distance that burns calories, not the speed. Take it easy as you start up again. Your app sounds sweet, by the way.

Good luck student teaching this week!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results