shape
carat
color
clarity

Let''s talk about nails.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Hi there, not a LIW, but I would love some advice on this topic anyway!

I have a 5 stone asscher band (baby gift) and it's locked up in the safe at the moment because my hands are so winter-horrible. I'm embarassed to wear it right now.

How do you stop polish coming off the tips of your nails after a day or two? I've tried every topcoat on the market - hard and wraps and OPI are the most successful (or the least unsuccessful, I should say) but it still chips and wears off after a couple of days. Plus, I have two nails that flake and peel, for some reason. Any ideas for a fix? Even professional manicures don't last or look that good (except when I'm in NYC, they last at least a week, so I know it's possible).

I also have ragged cuticles - how do I trim them without making them worse? It feels like they 'fray' if I use a trimmer.

thanks in advance for any tips.

Jen

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 4:21:30 AM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
How do you stop polish coming off the tips of your nails after a day or two? I''ve tried every topcoat on the market - hard and wraps and OPI are the most successful (or the least unsuccessful, I should say) but it still chips and wears off after a couple of days. Plus, I have two nails that flake and peel, for some reason. Any ideas for a fix? Even professional manicures don''t last or look that good (except when I''m in NYC, they last at least a week, so I know it''s possible).

I also have ragged cuticles - how do I trim them without making them worse? It feels like they ''fray'' if I use a trimmer.

Hi! I''ve heard that a good base coat is much more important than a top coat, to keep nail polish from chipping. Lately, I''ve been using a Sally Hansen base coat, then two coats of polish, with no top coat. And I think I''m having better luck with my polish lasting longer than when I was using a top coat with no base! I do use a top coat if my polish isn''t a shiny finish, but most of mine are shiny on their own. Also, I don''t know what it is about it, but Zoya''s polishes are magical and last longer on my nails than anything else, by far.

Not sure about your cuticles, though, sorry. Luckily mine are okay on their own.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Hmm. I must be doing something wrong, I use an OPI basecoat. It seems that the more coats I have in total, the faster it comes off. My usual is base + colour x 2 + topcoat. It''s as if it doesn''t really stick to my nails.

I''ll see if I can track down some of the Zoya polish, though. Thanks!

Jen

pinki

Shiny_Rock
I knew the exact weekend my FI was going to propose (He didn''t know I knew...) so I "happenend" to have had painted my nails that weekend a beautiful red from OPI, I think it was "I''m not really a waitress". I normally do what ever is in style that season, so I paint my nails every color of the rainbow.

Right now I''m loving Chanel''s spring line so I have their peach and pink, and I paint the peach first with the pink over it. It''s so adorable. This summer will be all the bright colors from OPI''s Hong Kong collection.

My nails grow very long and they''re very thick, but since the "in" thing is short nails I currently wear them short. I do my own, and even when I did Acrylics I did them myself as well. Once in a while I''ll get a mani but It''s only for special occasions. Pedi''s on the otherhand are a must-have that I let the pro''s take care of.

Cj

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
What do you do with your nails - do them yourself, get professional manicures, chew them nonstop, only cut them whenever you realize they are turning into claws?
...I am currently trying to STOP biting. I''ve never been one to spend the money on the professional stuff, I usually only treat myself to a mani/pedi about once a year. Since my nails are in the process of growing, cutting them isn''t really an issue. But I do have a tendency to clean the gunk out from under them a couple times a day.

If you polish them, what color/colors do you usually do?
...I have been using a growth formula that is clear. But I find it helps to NOT bite them when I have a color on...I like dark reds. This week, I''m wearing OPI''s "I''m not really a waitress"

Do you touch them up as soon as you realize you probably should, or let them go a few more days? What if it''s really noticeable, like the polish is half-chipped off on most fingers?
...I end up picking at the nailpolish. (Oh well, better to pick at the polish than bite the nail!) When I pick at it enough that it looks icky, I just take it all off instead of doing touch-ups.

Have you starting paying more attention to your hands because you think there might be something sparkly on them soon?
...Yes, perfect time to stop biting! And I''m looking for a job...I''d like to look professional and not have short bitten nails. (It''s a terrible habit!)

If you were 99% certain of the day he''s proposing and had plenty of time to prepare, what exactly would you do to your nails?
...I would spend the money on a manicure just so I could take great handshots to post on PS! Probably a french manicure.

SparklyRing

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 11:46:09 AM
Hmm. I must be doing something wrong, I use an OPI basecoat. It seems that the more coats I have in total, the faster it comes off. My usual is base + colour x 2 + topcoat. It''s as if it doesn''t really stick to my nails.

I''ll see if I can track down some of the Zoya polish, though. Thanks!

Jen

Mrs Mitchell - I''ve heard that if you use too many coats, the polish comes off much faster. Also, make sure that you apply thin layers of polish because thick layers will just peel off. And make sure you wait around 20 min between layers to let each one dry completely before applying the next.

Before you even put a basecoat on, make sure that you take a q-tip or some cotton, dip it into nail polish remover, and rub your nails with it even if you don''t have any polish on. The alcohol in the polish remover will take away any oils (from skin, lotion, etc) on your nails, making it easier for polish to stay on your nails for longer.

What I do after rubbing my nails with remover is put a thin layer of OPI basecoat and watch TV or read for 20 min. Afterwards, I apply a thin layer of OPI polish and wait 20 min. Then I apply a thin layer of OPI topcoat and wait until it dries. I never use more than one coat of color. I''ve found that this method makes my nails last for about a week with no chipping and very minor (not noticeable) wearing at the tips on the 7th day.

Since I usually get tired/bored of my nail color in a week, I just remove it and apply a new color.

Hope that helps!
1.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
It does help, thank you. I''m not letting the layers dry enough between coats, I think.

Thanks!

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
I usually always get compliments on my nails because they're shaped so nicely they look fake. The couple times I actually do get professional manicures I have people trying to rip my nail off to prove it's actually a fake nail. I think that's the one thing I'm blessed with
9.gif

But now that I'm a lady in waiting, trying to get my perfect setting, diamond, engagement ring, and proposal.... I've chewed them ALL down to nothing. Literally down to nothing
7.gif

Date: 2/22/2010 4:21:30 AM

How do you stop polish coming off the tips of your nails after a day or two? I've tried every topcoat on the market - hard and wraps and OPI are the most successful (or the least unsuccessful, I should say) but it still chips and wears off after a couple of days. Plus, I have two nails that flake and peel, for some reason. Any ideas for a fix? Even professional manicures don't last or look that good (except when I'm in NYC, they last at least a week, so I know it's possible).

Mrs.Mitchell: A tip I always do when painting my own nails is that after a few layers of nail polish on them, I go over the front of them horizontally and lightly so a small layer of nail polish goes under the nail as well. Does that make any sense? It really helps and will keep the nail polish from coming off sooner.

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 2:05:45 PM
Author: pinki
Right now I''m loving Chanel''s spring line so I have their peach and pink, and I paint the peach first with the pink over it. It''s so adorable. This summer will be all the bright colors from OPI''s Hong Kong collection.

My nails grow very long and they''re very thick, but since the ''in'' thing is short nails I currently wear them short. I do my own, and even when I did Acrylics I did them myself as well. Once in a while I''ll get a mani but It''s only for special occasions. Pedi''s on the otherhand are a must-have that I let the pro''s take care of.

Cj

I''m jealous you can have your nails both long and short. I have a really long nail bed that makes for fantastic long nails, but no matter how close I trim them, they''re still on the longer side and can''t ever get that "cute" short look with darker polish. I think I went into Spring mode a little early this year, because I''ve been cycling through the Hong Kong collection lately. I bought the whole set because I liked the DIm Sum Plum, but I''m wearing the Suzi Says Feng Shui (muted blue, like Tourmaline Lover''s avatar pic
2.gif
) and I''m pleasantly surprised by how wearable it is. I''m TAing this semester, so I''m not too sure what kind of message this sends out to the students and faculty, but I like it so there, ha! Can''t wait to try out the last color when this color gets chipped up.

Mrs. Mitchell, I''ll let you know how long it lasts. I got 2 coats of color + 1 coat of the OPI rapid dry top coat on Friday afternoon, and it''s still going strong on its third day without a single chip, even after two hours of playing the guitar (granted, I didn''t dare strum with my nails; just some light arpeggio).

I seriously cannot wait for it to get warmer, like NOW!

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to follow up and report that my polish has started chipping as of yesterday. Time for a change of color.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
MermaidKelly,
I''m pretty sure you DON''T want to be a "starter wife". That is all.

From Urban Dictionary:

starter wife
A man''s first wife that (usually) marries out of love and helps him achieve wealth, power, etc., but is then promptly discarded upon reaching said goal for a younger more attractive woman.

sapphirepulse

Rough_Rock
It''s so funny that you bring this up - I was just noticing how I have been somewhat subconsciously growing my nails out for the past few months, when I never have before. For most of my life I''ve had a bad habit of tearing and picking at my nails, but I''ve been making an effort to keep them somewhat long. (At least, long for me; just slightly grown out from my fingertips.)

I also have a part time job at a restaurant where I make pizza and wash dishes (the dish washing is by hand and can take 2 hours some nights.) I''m constantly washing my hands and exposing them to cold and heat. If my nails were too long, I''d get pizza topping under my nails all night and that is just gross. My hands usually smell like a combo of black olives/onions/pineapple/cheese by the time I get off anyway. (Can''t wait til I can graduate and get a real job!)

-What do you do with your nails - do them yourself, get professional manicures, chew them nonstop, only cut them whenever you realize they are turning into claws?
I just try to leave them alone, and shape them with a a nail file when they''re uneven. If they''re dry and brittle or I''ve just gotten off work, I''ll rub cuticle cream in overnight and it seems to help. I almost never paint them because I''m bad at it, and I don''t really like the maintenance. I like the shiny look of them when I can buff them, and I think that''s sufficient.

I do paint my toenails all summer though, in bright colors and sparkly reds. Somehow my toenail polish lasts longer than my fingernail polish - I guess because I''m hard on my hands. :/

-If you polish them, what color/colors do you usually do?
Clear or light pink or red. Something that doesn''t really attract attention and looks natural. I don''t like when my nail color clashes with my outfit, as silly as that may sound!

-Do you touch them up as soon as you realize you probably should, or let them go a few more days? What if it''s really noticeable, like the polish is half-chipped off on most fingers?
If my nail polish is chipped, I pretty much give up then. I''ll let it go until the color looks really bad (like half the color is gone), and then use nail polish remover.

-Have you starting paying more attention to your hands because you think there might be something sparkly on them soon?
Yes, definitely. I even put sunscreen on my hands every day before I go out.

-If you were 99% certain of the day he''s proposing and had plenty of time to prepare, what exactly would you do to your nails?
*Might* go get a manicure with a light pinkish color, no French nails. I just want my nails to be shaped and even. Plus having them professionally done is such a nice ego boost
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results