shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
I''ve narrowed the field down to two different designs. Forgive me for not posting specifics or specs but the last time I put something up on the board that was my first choice the vendor contacted me the following day to tell me that the ring just sold. So I''m a bit paranoid...sorry!

Ring 1...think Leon Mege! I found a lovely light yellow OEC with great clarity and shape. Thinking of setting it into a white pave band with diamonds and a yellow head. Great stone, great value but...I''ve been in to check the stone out twice now and each time I''m sucked in by it''s size and perfection but as I''m walking away part of me thinks that it''s too big! The stone is almost 1.25 carats and is about 6.65mm across and I have a 3.75 finger! Yes I know that an OEC is a rare cut and I love color but I''m a little uncomfortable about the size. I know that diamond shrinkage might set in anyway but I''m worried that I might have gotten sucked into the bigger-is-better NYC diamond thing...

Ring 2...think Vatche'' with a twist! It''s a simple solitaire with a small round brilliant great color, clarity and percentages! Kind of a bypass ring but not, more like a solitaire. Simple design in platinum. The diamond is a lot smaller, about half a carat of H&A about 5.16 across and looks gorgeous! The design appeals to me on so many levels and the diamond is great! Flashy but not too much...

*The OEC costs more than the H&A
*Both diamonds are GIA certified
*Ring 2 is more unique but the OEC is a rarer stone
*The OEC is larger and probably would be a better investment

elephant

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm.... That''s a tough one. I have definitely fallen for the bigger is better mentality and I''m not scheduled to move to NYC for another 2 years!!! :) I am having a difficult time picturing the 2nd option. Is there any way that you could send me/us a picture of the setting? I promise not to steal it!
9.gif
I have to have at least a 1.3 carat (I wear a 7 and I feel like everything else is too small for me -- WHY did I find PS? I now have major shrinkage and I''m not even engaged!! :) )

Back on topic, sorry. What is light yellow -- like an M? (Is it even graded on the same scale?)

Erin

Ideal_Rock
What kind of person are you in general when it comes to......

Your style of clothing
Eccentric items you decorate your house with
Like making bold statements
Do you like trendy or do you like the classics

Personally, I''m all for the yellow OEC but that fits my personality

Which one represents you better?

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
The OEC is a natural light yellow, I think a Y-Z?

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
Your style of clothing- I''d say casual chic with a bit of an edge
Eccentric items you decorate your house with- No house yet but I love interesting little knick-knacks in my apartment
Like making bold statements- Yes and no...I like to be different but not just for the sake of being different, does that make any sense? I just don''t fit into one category in life...better to have a bit of everything!
Do you like trendy or do you like the classics- Mixed.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Light yellow OEC and Leon-style all the way! Of course, that''s just MHO, but I would do that in a heartbeat. Sounds absolutely EXQUISITE!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
The light yellow sounds beautiful! That would be my choice.

However, you really should take Erin''s advice and think about what fits you for every day. If you''re going to feel uncomfortable about having a larger stone for every day wear, maybe you should go with the smaller one. If you go with #2 you can add some flash with the money you save by getting an eternity band for the wedding ring. Or, does your bf have a preference? If you''re in love with both, maybe leave it up to him and let him surprise you.

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
My boyfriend isn''t as obsessed with rings and diamonds as I am. But there are very few rings that have gotten an
"oh!" from him and Ring 2 was one of them!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/23/2005 5:36:18 PM
Author: northstar_78
My boyfriend isn''t as obsessed with rings and diamonds as I am. But there are very few rings that have gotten an
''oh!'' from him and Ring 2 was one of them!
If your b/f gave an "oh!" to ring #2, than my vote would be for that one.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
What sort of wedding band would you wear with both? After reading so many posts about the dreaded gap between e-ring and w-band I think you ought to check out what your options are for that too. I mean that is how it will be worn for longer. Is one of them more comfertable physically to wear? I am of course dying of curiousty now that I cant see pictures but I dont think is a decision that we can make for you.
35.gif

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
After much juggling of the rings around in my head I decided to go with neither one and ended up finding a new design. Ring 1 didn''t make it because I was too worried about the size of the stone...a little too big. The pave'' on the band didn''t sit well with me either and although I know I could have changed the band there was no smaller light yellow stone at the vendor. Ring 2 was a problem because the shape of the band would have made it difficult to find a band to fit, and the stone was a bit too small but I loved the look of the stone so I decided to focus more on round brilliants.

Rounding out these issues was the fact that both rings were "one-of-a-kind" and the buy-buy-buy pressure was too much. Someone suggested that I pick a perfect H&A round brilliant and a simple setting so I went to yet another vendor in NYC who had some settings and stones I liked...and then I found IT...

The setting is their newest design hot off the bench so no pics just yet. It is a sold white gold four prong solitaire with a thinner band that tapers inward on either side of the center stone. It also has two surprise diamonds set in the band...gorgeous! A little different than the classic Tiffany but fine with me! I also made a list of stones about 3/4 of a carat each G/H in color and VS1/VS2 in clarity and they look PERFECT on my size 3.75 finger! The ring feels so comfortable too, a big issue for me! Now I can get any band I want! I''ll keep you posted....

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh Northstar it is lovely,its classic with a little twist, that will never ever go out of style! I am thrilled for you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results