shape
carat
color
clarity

Hello and introduction

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

I have been a lurker for almost a month and I figured I should register myself.

But before I do, can I just say that this is a great site? It''s so informative and everyone is so nice and helpful. So a big THANK YOU before I go on.
1.gif

I''ve been with my boyfriend for about two and a half years. We''ve lived together for about a year and a half.

Needless to say, I love him with all of my heart. I know that he is THE ONE not only because he is my best friend (we were best friends before we started dating) but because I am the happiest I''ve ever been with him.

In the past year or so, our friends have been getting engaged left and right. I guess we''re at the right age group (mid-late twenties) for that. Then couples who had been together for less time than us started getting engaged. It bothered me a bit, but I told myself to be patient.

Then last month, his brother called us and told us that he''d proposed to his girlfriend. This bothered me more than I thought it would. Because his brother is 2 years younger than him. Because they had been together a year less than us.

I know it''s wrong to be jealous, but I was/am. To add salt to an open wound, his brother''s fiance had picked out the exact cut and setting I had wanted since I was a little girl.
29.gif
This hurt me a bit, because I pride myself in being unique and seeing something as special and personal as my dream engagement ring on someone else''s hand (especially someone who may become my future sister-in-law) made me not want it anymore.

When I jokingly pointed that out to my boyfriend, he jokingly said back, "Well I guess you need to find something else."

I felt like a mad woman as I searched the internet in hopes of finding the perfect cut and setting. I kept asking my boyfriend what he thought of this setting, talked to him about the pros and cons of this cut over another, etc. After several days of this, he started to get annoyed at me. I think it made it worse that I''m not into jewelry and I hardly ever talked about e-rings before. Oops.

So to talk about my thoughts on e-rings, I''ve decided to join this forum. I have not found a more active and pleasant forum elsewhere. And I hope that you will be able to aid me in finding my new dream ring!

Thanks for reading!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Welcome welcome welcome
35.gif
! Im so sorry to hear about your dream ring being taken by your possible future sister-in-law! What a bummer! Could you post a pic or describe it so we know what you like and then why we can hopefully all the help you need! You may also find, as many of us do, after looking at bajillions of different rings ou opinions can change on what you like. And then once you actually try them on, something I haven''t done yet, your opinions change all over again. Looking forward to helping you search!

Amanda

ky6

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear about you having to see your dream ring on a FIL. But you have definitely found the right place to talk about your very normal frustrations and to find your new dream ring. Welcome!

ky6

Shiny_Rock
By the way...I thought I was settled on a ring that I had loved since I ever first cared enough to notice rings, but PS helped me to find something that was even more me and now I cannot even imagine looking down and seeing that other cut and setting on my hand :) I''d be willing to bet you will find one that suits you more than the first too.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Welcome! We''re all here doing the same thing, so don''t feel bad about teeny jealous thoughts about family members/friends getting "there" before you do. I feel the same way sometimes. I think (hope) it''s normal. What kind of setting had you wanted? Maybe we can help you find something like it, but BETTER and more original.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
What do you think his timeline is? Has he brought up getting married much?

You''ll find that this obssesion is totally normal. Well, at least to us!
9.gif

Welcome to the LIW''s!!
35.gif

And I hear you about the sibling thing. 2 years younger? Try 9 fricking years younger than me. At least her ring is... unique, If my bf''s sister had the same e-ring I wanted I''d probably have a full blown temper tantrum. It''s funny how the age thing matters. My sister also got engaged and in a very short period of time, but because she''s older than me it doesn''t bother me... much.

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for your kind replies!

My original dream ring was princess cut in a white gold or platinum 4-prong setting. I wanted a plain, angled (not round) band.

I thought this was pretty original (since most people I know received round stones in fancy settings) but after surfing the net a bit, I see now that a lot of people have it!
41.gif

In addition, I always thought I wanted a plain band and no sidestones. But browsing through all the gorgeous rings on PS, I''m starting to change my mind! Before PS, I believed pave settings to be gaudy and tacky. But I''ve seen some amazing rings here and now I''m starting to think I want a pave ring!

Here are two that I fell in love with:

Michael B Petit Lace ring:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/micheal-b-lace-with-and-ags0-princess.34683/

Vera Wang:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-cushion-cut-w-vera-wang-setting.38061/

It''s so weird how they''re both so different from what I originally wanted.

Now if I can find less expensive versions of these!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Pave tacky??? NO! That`s almost blasphamy (my ring is complete pave so I`m obviously bias). Welcome to PS. I personally consider the Micheal B petite lace one very, very original.... and you are also going through some frustrations that are really normal. After looking at PS rings, you tend to change your mind over what you want, I wanted an cushion, an asscher, and ended up with an RB. Maybe PS will open your mind up to new bling
9.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Jen,
Welcome!! I agree about how great a site it is. I recently found it myself and now I just can''t stop myself from reading the forums. It is sooo informative, especially coming from someone who knew *nothing* about rings. That does suck that you have to re-think your ring choices, but I amazed at the gorgeous rings out there. I also didn''t think I liked pave style until I saw some rings here. Both of the rings you like are beautiful! I just love the 2nd and never would''ve considered it until I saw it here.
I also think it''s normal to be jealous and/or envious but everyone''s timeframe is different. I try to remember that myself!

Once again, welcome and I hope while you''re here, you find a fabulous ring!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Welcome! You''ve come to the perfect place!!
35.gif

My advice for the ring is to go and try a ton of them on! I''ve gone from wanting a five-stone in yellow gold to a three-stone to a simple, classic tiffany-style solitaire in white gold in one single day of ring shopping!!
28.gif
I''m sorry you future SIL got your dream ring though...
7.gif

As for talking engagement with your boyfriend, have you talked about the future in terms of marriage yet? Has he given any hints about thinking about proposing?

Welcome again and good luck!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I have been madly in love with that Michael B lace wedding set since the moment I saw it!!!!! I also have a few links to the actual setting and a look a like that I''ll [aste below. Also, you can have something custom made at White Flash for much less than the designer setting which a lot of PSers do. You can search WF custom designs or scroll through the first two pages of the Show Me the Ring thread and should see it there.

Look alike to Michael B but not labeled as such
http://www.ogi-ltd.com/gallery_bridal0.html

Actual Michael B site, no price of course plzzzzzzzzz
http://www.michaelbjewelry.com/collection_lace_new.html

Pearlman''s has the ering and wb sold seperately at an outrageous price!
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/michael-b-jewelry/rings/05P1/54/from-the-michael-b-lace-collection.-this-exquisite-squared-lace-set-with-.55cts-of-pave-set-diamonds/ $4200 for ering

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/michael-b-jewelry/rings/13P1/42/michael-b.-ladies-platinum-flat-sided-lace-band-set-with-.56cts-of-full-cut-diamonds./ $3400 for wband

Champagne setting from WF you may like as well
http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=WFR-UDmPtPv#

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ring-comes-tomorrow.31597/=

Have fun looking!

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all your suggestions! Wren - you got me! I like thin bands, delicate settings. Nothing too fancy from far away, but little details at closer glance (i.e. the "lace" on the Michael B, the tiny diamonds at the end of each prong on the Vera Wang).

And in response to Anchor31''s question, yes my boyfriend has talked about marriage. And he has told me that it''ll probably happen late this year or early next year. I can''t wait!

In the past I thought it was a big faux-pas to choose your own engagement ring. Now, I''m not so sure, not only because it is such a big purchase, but also because it''ll be something I''ll wear for the rest of my life (knock on wood). Although my boyfriend has exquisite taste, I would like SOME input.

Not to mention....it''s so fun looking at all these rings!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Welcome Jen!
35.gif

And thanks for your compliments on my ring! It''s the best feeling ever to just be reading a thread at random and find people linking to my ring as one of their favorites!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
As I''m sure you can tell from my other posts, I very very very highly recommend it!!!!

Also, I''m with you on the changing opinions thing...I also thought that pave rings were gaudy/tacky/over the top....until I actually saw some!
30.gif
I had also never even heard of cushions until I started trying on rings, so my ring is about as far away from my original vision as it could be. So good luck in your search, and I''m sure you''ll find something perfect for you! And more unique than your future sister in law''s!
2.gif
My brother also called me out of the blue when we were in the middle of ring shopping (which we had not told him about) to say that he got engaged, so I know what that''s like!! [Only they''d been together SEVEN years already, he''s older than me, and her ring has a pearl instead of a diamond, so at least there wasn''t additional conflict there]

In any case, we''ve all been there (or still are there!) and PS has such a great community for support and, more importantly
31.gif
, ring pics!
9.gif

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to another Jen! I relate to the sibling thing too --- I didn''t find out until this week how that feels when my bf''s cousin (who''s like his brother) announced he and his *new* gf are talking marriage and planning on the end of the year (they dated 2 years ago for a short bit, now have been back together 2 months). Argh! And this girl had the nerve to ask me the first time I met her if my bf and I were engaged. So I feel your pain, and the ring being what you wanted ORIGINALLY burns, but I have a feeling you are gonna find something with these ladies'' help you''ll like much better!! Good luck and welcome,
jen

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Welcome Jenstone!
As for the ring all my life I wanted an oval I longed and dreamed for a ring just like my Nanas...she has a fantastic three stone oval ring.
Then when I began to really look around I saw how rare it was to find an oval with out a bowtie.
I was given a lovely RB with a shared prong RB setting.
Go to the mall with a friend who is patient and try on every setting you see even if you dont think you like it, I adored the thin Ritani and Micheal B settings and when I saw them on my hand
14.gif
. You need to decide what looks best on your hand and what speaks to you.

I am sorry about your FSIL getting your ring, I would have cried. Funnily enough when V and I were 20 he gave me a princess cut in a WG knife edge band. *sigh*

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2006 11:17:22 AM
Author: JenStone
And in response to Anchor31''s question, yes my boyfriend has talked about marriage. And he has told me that it''ll probably happen late this year or early next year. I can''t wait!
That''s great!!
9.gif
And if you want to choose your ring, tell your boyfriend how important it is to you, and choose it! He can still buy it himself and surprise you with the proposal!
28.gif

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
albicocca, I love, love, LOVE your ring. You wouldn''t mind if I get one almost exactly like yours, would you?
2.gif

I think I''ve getting a bit carried away. Yesterday I casually suggested to my boyfriend that we go look at rings (just LOOK, not buy) and he looked at me like I had 3 heads. "Okay, now you''re starting to freak me out." I told him that a ring may look gorgeous in pictures but not be up to par in real life. Or it may not look pretty on your finger. And he just said, "Girls."

I really don''t understand men sometimes. He''s already planning how many groomsmen he''ll have at our wedding (eight - can you believe it? I told him eight is not a wedding party; it''s a posse. It''s an entourage.) and I can''t go LOOK at rings. Sheesh.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2006 12:18:09 PM
albicocca, I love, love, LOVE your ring. You wouldn''t mind if I get one almost exactly like yours, would you?
2.gif
Nope!
9.gif
I would probably feel weird if a good friend of mine chose my same setting, but if a PSer gets it, it would be the best compliment ever!
9.gif

Also, you NEEEED to try on rings!!!!! Do NOT let him talk you out of it!!!!! It really is true that rings look compleeeetely different on a hand than in a picture, and you need to see how different shapes and settings work on your hand. One thing I did was call it "ring looking" instead of shopping, and emphasize very regularly that there was noooooo chance we would buy it that day. He still thought I was weird
20.gif
but he played along, and did admit that seeing them on your hand makes a big difference in the end. So MAKE HIM AGREE TO GO WITH YOU!!!!! And every time he refuses and you have to ask him again....deduct one groomsman!
31.gif

caligal

Shiny_Rock
Albi you are too funny... and we all LOVE your ring! Jenstone- HUGE welcome to PS! There are some great links in the tools/resources area... I really like www.mavilo.com- they have some cool settings! Then I''d recommend you look at some loose stones online. Since it seems like you like a square cut- check out princesses, radiants, cushions, aschers, and emeralds. I had never heard of aschers til I came to PS and boy they are gorgeous too! The show me the ring thread is very helpful to see all the different settings and unique tastes of PSers. The two you chose certainly are beautiful though!

The pave grows on you as do halos- now I want bling everywhere on mine! Good luck- and I chime in with the others... go try on some settings to see the look of different bands, settings, and diamonds on your hand.

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
I''ve FINALLY gone through all the rings in the Eye Candy thread and my two favorites are still the Michael B Petit Lace ring Albi''s gorgeous Vera Wang. Hey, you should always trust your first instinct, right?
2.gif

I think at this point, the price would be the decision-maker.

The Pearlman''s website quotes $3,750 for the Michael B. setting.

Albi, (or anyone else who may know) do you mind if I ask how much your setting cost?

Thanks!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2006 11:45:16 AM
Albi, (or anyone else who may know) do you mind if I ask how much your setting cost?

Thanks!

9.gif
YAY! So glad to hear mine is still at the top!
9.gif
Hehehe. My fiance won''t tell me exactly how much it cost, but he gave me the range of "mid to upper $2,000s". aka definitely less than Michael B!! Get it, get it!
9.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Hey Jen! Just wondering if you ever noticed that I replied to this thread before...
3.gif
Not to be annoying, but I just wanted to make sure you to know how much my setting is if you''re really interested!
9.gif
I saw your "Finally! Some Progress!" thread and you really seem to have gotten the ball rolling with your boyfriend (YAY!!!
9.gif
) so I thought it might be useful for you to have this info on hand to casually drop into your next conversation.
31.gif
Soooo excited for you!!!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for remembering me, Albi! Honestly, this forum is one of the nicest, most considerate web communities I''ve ever come across.

I had emailed my boyfriend with links to the Michael B and the Vera Wang when I first came across them. At the time, I didn''t think he paid much attention, because that was during the time period when I was on my crazy must-find-the-perfect-setting-since-my-future-SIL-took-my-favorrite-one phase. I had been emailing him links to settings left and right, and he was getting quite annoyed at me.

When I had THE conversation with my boyfriend earlier this week, we talked about his annoyance at me during that point of time and how it upset me. He didn''t understand why I was never that into jewelry before but then turned into a crazed enthusiast. He couldn''t understand why I still checked PS every day even after I supposedly found the perfect setting.

I explained to him that this is something I will wear for the rest of my life, and I want to be certain that I absolutely LOVE it. I''m honestly not that into jewelry - I never wear rings, my ears aren''t pierced, and the only thing I wear every day (I don''t even take it off when I shower) is a necklance my boyfriend bought me after we first started dating. But I think the fact that I don''t wear other jewelry gives me more of a reason to need and want the perfect ring.

So to answer your question, yes! I told him that the Vera Wang cost less than the Michael B and even told him about Michael C Fina, where your fiance purchased your ring. We live in MD but we''re both originally from NY and we plan on moving back there in a year or two. We still go up to NY almost every month so I know he''d have no problem getting to Michael C Fina if he couldn''t find another vendor that carries it.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results