shape
carat
color
clarity

Gifts for boyfriends?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Anybody have some unique/fun/sweet/interesting gift ideas to share with the board? I need some inspiration.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2009 3:23:41 PM
Author:suchende
Anybody have some unique/fun/sweet/interesting gift ideas to share with the board? I need some inspiration.
What''s the occasion? Big gifts, small gifts?

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2009 3:36:13 PM
Author: gwendolyn

What''s the occasion? Big gifts, small gifts?
Good questions. I wanted to leave it open so more people than just me would benefit from the thread, but it''s actually three occasions: end of first (hardest, most important) year of law school, birthday and anniversary.

I will also contribute some past gifts:

For valentine''s day, gave him Supreme Court justice magnets:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=24832749&ref=sr_gallery_2&&ga_search_query=the+supremes&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

and a briefcase for Christmas (not this one exactly, but very similar):

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=11-994-997|Level=2-3-4|PageID=6135

I sort of want to give him a sterling silver business card case from Tiffany''s, since he''ll be in the business world this summer, and to put the idea in his head that Tiffany''s is a great place to go for gifts

11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hahah, nice Tiffany gift idea (and partial motivation behind it).
27.gif
3.gif

See, now, I''m glad I asked, because my initial thoughts about gifts for my guy have been little ''just because'' gifts that were more often silly than momentous, and a Sherlock Holmes action figure and a little toy sandbox totally don''t go with the events you''re commemorating.
3.gif
2.gif

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
No, wait, actually the sandbox toy is a stroke of brilliance, because starfish are sort of "our thing," maybe a little starfish sand mold filled with candy... hmm... that might actually be perfect for the anniversary.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
B and I have very similar personalities, and one of the things we have in common is that we both love sports and beer. Almost all of the gifts (big and small) that I''ve gotten him revolve around one or the other of these.

If your guy likes beer, or has expressed the desire to ever have a basement bar, this might be a route to go: In the past, I''ve gotten B home brewing supplies/equipment/ingredients (we make our own beer!) and I''m slowly gifting him with the makings of a full bar -- tap handles, nice barware, and eventually once we have room for it, I plan on getting him a kegerator, bar stools, etc. There''s still a surprise element to many of the presents, because he has no idea what''s coming next.

If he''s a sports junkie, keep on the lookout for awesome tickets or memorabilia. He doesn''t know it yet, but B''s birthday present from me is an autographed boot from his favorite soccer player of all time.

p.s. I love those magnets! Quirky & cute!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
misskitty, what an awesome thing, to slowly build on a dream end-goal like that. I love it.

You''re right, he actually played college football and adores sports, I didn''t even think of that, I should get him tickets to a game here in DC over the summer, he would love it, plus, it''s like two gifts in one since there is an implied promise that I will go to a sporting event without having to be coaxed, lol.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
if he likes quirky things theonion.com is an off the wall newspaper with funny gifts. my FF likes coffee/tea so i send him some each month. i usually sneak in some of his favorite candy and snacks.
best gift i sent according to his friends: 3 bottles of wine i found out i liked, 4 half gallons of beer from a local brewery that i like (he and his family like these drinks and i''ve recently learned to like them), snack food he loves, his favorite candy, popcorn, a "humorous adult" board game to play with his friends, a body pillow doused with purfume to smell like me, a couple dvds, a monkey that makes noise when squeezed (inside joke) and a ton of little lovey-dovey notes for him in a little bag in addition to a note taped to each item explaining it. (i very much enjoy my status as the most awesome girl friend according to his friends
11.gif
)

best gift according to him: a little drawstring bag full of little love notes in individual envelopes so he could read one every night (which turned into at least 5 a day since he couldn''t stop himself)
my "secret" for lots of easy love notes: note book 1 and note book 2
the reason these books are so wonderful is that they have sweet little sayings on the front, so on the back (underneath she nice large sticky bar since they are sticky notes) in nice large writing i could re-state that front saying in many different ways and fill up the back, or tell him a story. then fold the note in half and it sticks to itself so the note is hidden. buy some invitation envelopes and cut them in half and just tape the top once the note is in and he''ll be completely surprised.
FF likes to use them as bookmarks, and i found these books at hallmark
21.gif

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2009 5:55:02 PM
Author: misskitty
B and I have very similar personalities, and one of the things we have in common is that we both love sports and beer. Almost all of the gifts (big and small) that I''ve gotten him revolve around one or the other of these.

If your guy likes beer, or has expressed the desire to ever have a basement bar, this might be a route to go: In the past, I''ve gotten B home brewing supplies/equipment/ingredients (we make our own beer!) and I''m slowly gifting him with the makings of a full bar -- tap handles, nice barware, and eventually once we have room for it, I plan on getting him a kegerator, bar stools, etc. There''s still a surprise element to many of the presents, because he has no idea what''s coming next.

If he''s a sports junkie, keep on the lookout for awesome tickets or memorabilia. He doesn''t know it yet, but B''s birthday present from me is an autographed boot from his favorite soccer player of all time.

Misskitty, your guy and my guy would get along swimmingly. J is a homebrewer and has built his own brewery in the basement. So, like you, I''ve tried to get him things related to that. He "named" his brewery, so I bought him mugs with the name engraved. Some of my next gifts will be taphandles for the bar he built. Funny.
1.gif

Suchende - I enjoy creating "experiences" to celebrate, as well. Surprise trips to sporting events, concerts, etc.... but we also have a list of restaurants that we want to try, so planning a night out to some of his top picks is another thing I like to do. I''ve also tried to give him a "guys night out" - I bought tickets to a game for him and some of his buddies. I also like special stay-at-home nights - where I cook his favorite foods, line up movies that he likes, etc. Basically a night where all he needs to do is relax and be pampered. For one of his "big" upcoming birthdays, I am hoping to plan a long weekend trip to visit one of his favorite breweries up in the pacific northwest (thankfully, I have a few years to save for that one).

A friend of mine created a memory book for her fiance - it had pictures and quotes from all the trips and experiences they had shared. Depending on how sentimental your BF is, that might be something fun to do.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/11/2009 10:25:45 AM
Author: CurlySue

Misskitty, your guy and my guy would get along swimmingly. J is a homebrewer and has built his own brewery in the basement. So, like you, I''ve tried to get him things related to that. He ''named'' his brewery, so I bought him mugs with the name engraved. Some of my next gifts will be taphandles for the bar he built. Funny.
1.gif

Very cool! If you need a tap handle guy, the one I''ve been working with is amazing. He does really phenomenal custom work.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/11/2009 10:25:45 AM
Author: CurlySue
Date: 5/10/2009 5:55:02 PM

Author: misskitty

Misskitty, your guy and my guy would get along swimmingly. J is a homebrewer and has built his own brewery in the basement. So, like you, I''ve tried to get him things related to that. He ''named'' his brewery, so I bought him mugs with the name engraved. Some of my next gifts will be taphandles for the bar he built. Funny.
1.gif

Suchende - I enjoy creating ''experiences'' to celebrate, as well. Surprise trips to sporting events, concerts, etc.... but we also have a list of restaurants that we want to try, so planning a night out to some of his top picks is another thing I like to do. I''ve also tried to give him a ''guys night out'' - I bought tickets to a game for him and some of his buddies. I also like special stay-at-home nights - where I cook his favorite foods, line up movies that he likes, etc. Basically a night where all he needs to do is relax and be pampered. For one of his ''big'' upcoming birthdays, I am hoping to plan a long weekend trip to visit one of his favorite breweries up in the pacific northwest (thankfully, I have a few years to save for that one).

A friend of mine created a memory book for her fiance - it had pictures and quotes from all the trips and experiences they had shared. Depending on how sentimental your BF is, that might be something fun to do.

And your two guys can hang out with mine too! He just started brewing. We had quite an eventful experience in the making of the last batch. He thought he could put the grains down the disposal but they''re actually small enough to get through the disposal slits but big enough to clog the drain in the loop under the sink. So we became plumbers for the evening and took the whole sink apart to unclog it... lesson learned.

On the subject of gifts... I''ve gotten him art from an artist he likes, a webcam for when we''re not together, he''s also been saying how he''s never gotten a professional massage before so I''ll probably get that for him at some point. No stroke of genius in any gifts as you can see... wish I had some better ideas...

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
My FI is a beer nut too. His favorite gift from me was when I got him the "Beer of the Month club". I couldn''t afford an entire year, so I did 6 months for every other month so it lasted the whole year. They sent 12 microbrews a month, usually 3-4 different types. He loved it and wants me to get it again!

He also loves golf. For our first anniversary I got him a round of golf for 4 with the cart so he took 3 friends. I put the gift certificate in a golf cooler that he could use while golfing. He loved that one too. Good luck!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock

concert tickets for him and a friend, with you as the DD.
I did that once, and let me tell you, the kitchen was spotless for a full month!!

other gifts i like to get E -
obscure CD''s
DVD''s of blue ray - planet earth, other "man" shows
Baseball (or another specific sport that he loves) tickets
Specialty Beer

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about the BFs that are not beer-drinking, golfing, sports nuts?
3.gif

Anyone else who has a techy-computer-gadgety type boyfriend?

I usually hit up www.thinkgeek.com or www.topatoco.com . Topato has web-comic type accessories, if your boyfriend is a computer nerd like mine!
11.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
While he was away on a golf trip with his buddies, I repainted and decorated his kids'' bathroom

tw9BATHROOM.JPG

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I just found an ancient first edition book about the history of his law school. He would love it. Also considering a framed photograph of Manhattan. I want to find a good Central Park/sky scraper contrast photograph, but so far nothing I just love.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I hung the shelf (level) and drew a picture of their dog in the same jungle colors as the shower curtain. Still can''t figure the best spot to hang that "BATH" hook.

tw9BATHROOM2.JPG

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
That bathroom is adorable, Starset!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2009 5:08:07 PM
Author: suchende
No, wait, actually the sandbox toy is a stroke of brilliance, because starfish are sort of ''our thing,'' maybe a little starfish sand mold filled with candy... hmm... that might actually be perfect for the anniversary.
I had a good idea?!
6.gif
No way! That''s great! Glad it had some meaning for you guys.
9.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the last three years I don''t think that we''ve done any presents that have been surprises. We both have lists. DH listens to very particular types of music and enjoys building his own audio equipment. I read very particular books and want certain jewellery.

Before that, during the first three years, I bought him a camera, sunglasses, wallet, ipod - generic gifts really. I can''t remember everything now, but they were mostly things that he asked for. It may have been a surprise for him that he got it at that time, but not that he got it.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Bah. I hate coming up with gifts. BF''s birthday is next month and I have no clue what to get him.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/11/2009 5:05:20 PM
Author: princesss
Bah. I hate coming up with gifts. BF''s birthday is next month and I have no clue what to get him.

Haha at least you''re trying. My SO''s birthday was like two weeks ago and I still haven''t gotten him anything. I keep giving him ideas but he''s too picky. He told me I could wait until after I graduate this week to worry about picking out his gift. I''m almost at the point though of just writing him a check and telling him to "get himself something nice" haha. Not actually... but I feel like it. He''s too hard to buy for.

Whenever I think I know what I''m going to get him I''ll do a little fakeout and suggest that thing in the middle of a list of like 5 other random possibilities. And without fail he always tells me he doesn''t really want the thing I was going to get for him....Hmmpf.

ProseCuter

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/10/2009 3:50:13 PM
I sort of want to give him a sterling silver business card case from Tiffany''s, since he''ll be in the business world this summer, and to put the idea in his head that Tiffany''s is a great place to go for gifts

My boyfriend just passed the bar exam in November and I gave him a Tiffany silver business card case for Valentine''s day. All he has previously was a little plastic case, and I wanted him to have something nice. I had it engraved with his initials and he loves it and now always carries it! I think that is a great gift for someone that is graduating or starting a new, professional job!
36.gif

Calla18

Rough_Rock
I am big on creating "experiences" for his birthday.

One year I declared it "the day of Hunny" I took him out to breakfast, we got a pedicure (which he desperately needed bc his feet are always in workboots), I brought him to another place to where he recieved a 90 min. massage. After that I cooked him his favorite meal and got him an ice cream cake for dessert.

Another time I surprised him with a flight lesson. It was in a little 4 passenger plane and I was able to go up with them while he learned hot to fly for 90 min. That was really cool bc I was actually able to keep it a surprise until the car ride..usually im like a puppy and piddle myself when i have a surprise!

Another year I took him to NYC (we live in CT so its only about 1hr away) and took him to go see Cirque D''Soleil Wintuck and we went out to dinner.

Most of these things were less than 300 all together.

As for gifts:
A 7ftX9ft World Map, winter hats, anything related to martial arts or travel, ski stuff.
Pretty much anything related to his hobbies!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/11/2009 8:39:25 PM
Author: ProseCuter
Date: 5/10/2009 3:50:13 PM

My boyfriend just passed the bar exam in November and I gave him a Tiffany silver business card case for Valentine''s day. All he has previously was a little plastic case, and I wanted him to have something nice. I had it engraved with his initials and he loves it and now always carries it! I think that is a great gift for someone that is graduating or starting a new, professional job!
36.gif
Congratulations to the boyfriend on passing the bar!

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
I''m stalking this thread because BF''s b-day is next Monday! I''ve already gotten him a nice briefcase (he chose it) but want to add some little cute things to the gift. Please keep sharing your ideas!
36.gif

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
chiapet- What about business-y accessories to put in the briefcase? Maybe a nice pen, a portfolio, stuff like that. I love Levenger, but they''re pricy, so I only ever buy sale items.

Eden

Rough_Rock

Following on from Suchende’s suggestion –

When I reached the milestone of working for the same company for ten years, I was allowed to choose from a catalogue of gifts to commemorate the occasion. I decided that I wanted something to keep reminding me (that I have slaved away!!) of the achievement and that it should be something I would probably not buy for myself. I choose a really nice Mont Blanc pen in the end. My OH then bought me a Mont Blanc leather case to keep it in for my birthday a few months later which I wasn’t expecting but was very pleased with.

Call me a snob but it is nice to have nice things sometimes!!! The pen writes beautifully and every time I use it I am reminded of my OH and a milestone in my career. Perhaps it''s a girl thing though....

Eden

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
I found such a cute gift! BF is a huge Yankees fan and I ordered this for him (I hope the pic comes out)

spud.jpg

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
that''s awesome! is that a bubblegum bubble he''s blowing? if so i just might have to go get one. i''m such a gum addict...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results